All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

If Memphis is really a legit top school for Matt, something fishy is up. If he goes there, he's getting a bag, playing a semester and going to the NBA. No reason for him to go there unless he's getting paid.

There are lots of reasons. For starters, he's had a close personal relationship with Mike Miller (former NBA star and Memphis assistant coach) for several years now. For another, Memphis has generally been good at basketball. And for another, there's a lot of excitement around the program with Penny Hardaway as their coach. For another, they have a rabid and knowledgeable fan base that lives and dies with the program. And these are just the tip of the iceberg.

There are lots of reasons. For starters, he's had a close personal relationship with Mike Miller (former NBA star and Memphis assistant coach) for several years now. For another, Memphis has generally been good at basketball. And for another, there's a lot of excitement around the program with Penny Hardaway as their coach. For another, they have a rabid and knowledgeable fan base that lives and dies with the program. And these are just the tip of the iceberg.
Penny has no proven ability to coach at this level, it may be a draw in Memphis but kids like Hurt who have better options than the AAC, no chance in hell. Its also laughable to call Mike Miller an NBA star, decent role player with stereotypical white boy traits who can chuck threes but not a star

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

About the only things are relationship with Miller and NBA connections, otherwise it makes no sense, no track record yet on getting players to NBA, the AAC (not the ACC, Big 12 or Big Ten, etc.), school (nothing more needs to be said), certainly not a blue blood. Even considering Memphis is really indicative of his mindset though, NBA is everything, nothing else matters.

About the only things are relationship with Miller and NBA connections, otherwise it makes no sense, no track record yet on getting players to NBA, the AAC (not the ACC, Big 12 or Big Ten, etc.), school (nothing more needs to be said), certainly not a blue blood. Even considering Memphis is really indicative of his mindset though, NBA is everything, nothing else matters.

I think this is pretty clear. Academics far, far, down the priority list here so I am not at all surprised Memphis is in the mix. He could potentially be a focal point of their offense and the connection with Miller is a draw.

If he does not choose UM (which he won't) Memphis is fine by me.

Agree with a a lot of this post and wouldn't be shocked if Hurt went to Memphis.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match here but.... for a guy that constantly ridicules and undermines a lot of posters for expressing opinions I have to say you must have an extremely loose term for "NBA star", don't get me wrong I love Skinny. But he never appeared in an all star game. Very solid and nice career with a few accolades mixed in (rookie of the year & sixth man of year if i remember)... very far from star I would say.

There are lots of reasons. For starters, he's had a close personal relationship with Mike Miller (former NBA starter and Memphis assistant coach) for several years now. For another, Memphis has generally been good at basketball. And for another, there's a lot of excitement around the program with Penny Hardaway as their coach. For another, they have a rabid and knowledgeable fan base that lives and dies with the program. And these are just the tip of the iceberg.

fify

The Hurts seem pretty smart. Unless Hurt is getting some guaranteed cash or other considerations from Memphis I don't see why he wouldn't go to a 1 and done factory like Duke or Kentucky. There's no way a relationship with Memphis assistants outweighs a proven track record of getting dudes to the league.

Haven't all our 1 and dones made the league?

The Hurts seem pretty smart. Unless Hurt is getting some guaranteed cash or other considerations from Memphis I don't see why he wouldn't go to a 1 and done factory like Duke or Kentucky. There's no way a relationship with Memphis assistants outweighs a proven track record of getting dudes to the league.

This. If he isnt going to Kansas, hes going to Duke or Kentucky

Is Hurt guaranteed to start or star when Kentucky/Duke have a parade of mcdonald's all-americans?

Is Hurt guaranteed to start or star when Kentucky/Duke have a parade of mcdonald's all-americans?

I'm sure he will start. But star? Hard to tell. You see what happened to Wendell Carter at Duke.

I'm sure he will start. But star? Hard to tell. You see what happened to Wendell Carter at Duke.

I believe he would be coming off the bench.

I hope the Hurts take that challenge and go to Duke or Kentucky.

It would be ballsy!

I believe he would be coming off the bench.

I hope the Hurts take that challenge and go to Duke or Kentucky.

It would be ballsy!
Lol Matthew Hurt is not coming off the bench anywhere. If he is than that team is going undefeated if the front court is that good

Lol Matthew Hurt is not coming off the bench anywhere. If he is than that team is going undefeated if the front court is that good

This. Some people on here just don't understand how good he is.

Kentucky sends it's 6th and 7th men to the league every year if those guys are freshmen. Most of the time it works out even if they aren't stars.

It would be ballsy!

Sorry but I see Kentucky or Duke as the easy choices. Surrounding himself with better players makes his job easier. Really ballsy would be to come to UM. If he's really good, he'll be the focus of the defense and get plenty of chance to show how well he can handle it.

So he is obviously better than all the pro players that will be on duke's and kentucky's roster?

How do you know this?

Sorry, but I did not say nor even imply that.

Last edited:

Well, then how good is he then?

Since many have no idea. Explain it.

I'm not sure why you are doubting how good he is. He's ranked #6 in the country for 2019. That's 2 spots higher than Tyus. I'm not saying rankings are everything, but they are generally pretty solid at the top. Matthew really can do it all and I will be shocked if doesn't end up being a lottery pick whenever he declares.

He's good! Best Minnesota High School Basketball player ever. Does that mean he will be in the NBA HOF? Better career than Kevin McHale in the NBA? Not necessarily, but his height, his ball handling ability, his outside shooting, his ability to finish around the basket, his ability to stay out of foul trouble, his willingness to bang, his versatility... make him pretty special as a high school player.
I have not seen any of the other Top 10 USA recruits to know if he should be ranked higher or lower...but I'd probably lean higher. Why? The versatility. All the different ways he can help a team win. He is willing to be the man...take ALL the shots if it helps his team win. That mentality and accountability is not in everybody...some good players readily defer to teammates even if they can't complete the play and the result is a certain loss. He is not selfish but he is competitive. Anybody who averages 30 plus points per game is a beast!
I think he's the real deal!

Hes one of the most skilled, efficient big men I have ever seen coming out of MN. Best? Who knows. Even if he was, opinions differ.

Regardless, for his size, he can handle and shoot with the best

Best Minnesota High School Basketball player ever

That's quite the statement.

Just a thought; best mn high school basketball player ever should be going to state and winning titles, right?

How many High School Championships did Jordan win?

HS basketball has always been a bit more competitive in NC than in Minnesota. Tyus is the best i’ve seen. Hurt obviously has the higher ceiling but the way Tyus completely controlled a game is unlike anything i’ve seen in Minnesota. Honestly I’m surprised Matthew is staying in state for his senior year. Just for his all around development jumping to an Oak Hill or a place like that for a season makes sense but cool to see a highly touted kid sticking around. Hopefully he’s been locked away in a weight room this summer.

Just a thought; best mn high school basketball player ever should be going to state and winning titles, right?

Not saying I agree with him, but people put too much emphasis on team accomplishments when debating who the best individual players are.

I thought he might leave as well for better competition plus he is old for his grade but maybe he wants to finally beat Lakeville North.

HS basketball has always been a bit more competitive in NC than in Minnesota. Tyus is the best i’ve seen. Hurt obviously has the higher ceiling but the way Tyus completely controlled a game is unlike anything i’ve seen in Minnesota. Honestly I’m surprised Matthew is staying in state for his senior year. Just for his all around development jumping to an Oak Hill or a place like that for a season makes sense but cool to see a highly touted kid sticking around. Hopefully he’s been locked away in a weight room this summer.
El-Amin is the GOAT as far as state high school players, the 98 team wouldn't have missed a beat if he had stayed committed. Could've just plugged him into Bobby Jackson spot.

Not an unreasonable question and before watching him play several times I'd agree. However, if a team gets out coached or the other team has 3 or more very good players to your one...it's not that simple.
If you have to bring the ball up the floor versus pressure and score too...that's a tall task. Now, factor in coaching (both sides) plus, the inability from Hurt's teammates to effectively contribute....not gonna happen.
But, it's not because Hurt isn't outstanding. He's a high school player doing what he's told.

Top Bottom