All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

I am not talking about the top rated player in the state. I am talking about an overall top 25 rated player that is from the state.

White was a top 20 rated player. Oturu was a top 60. Tre Jones top 15. This is from Rivals. I wouldn't call White and Oturu similarly rated according to Rivals.

Coffey's offer list was probably better than White's. Oturu's was pretty even.

So Pitino goes 0 for 5 in Minnesota for the class of 2019. Missing on Hurt isn't a huge surprise, but still disappointing and a recruiting miss. We also missed on Tyrell Terry, Tyler Wahl, David Roddy and Zeke Nnaji. Ouch...

It is more like 0-8 as soon as Matthew Hurt announces. That is a big ouch! https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/search#?formValues=%7B%22sport%22:%22Basketball%22,%22recruit_year%22:2019,%22state.abbr%22:%5B%22MN%22%5D,%22page_number%22:1,%22page_size%22:100%7D

Who offers dad the most $$$? Who has funnelled what to dad's "AAU" program? Follow the money.

Yep. But unfortunately I think this is the new normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't understand why some of these top talent kids dont' want to play at the U. They get 1-2 of their buddies to sign up with them and they can win anywhere. Why not at the U?

Monson landed Humphries and Rickert. Tubby landed White.

Interesting examples. Tubby would have been better off looking elsewhere. Humphries played only one year here and the team improved significantly in the year after he left. Rickerts did play two years so I guess he was worth recruiting.

One and done players don't do much for a program like this because we don't have a line of other potential one and done players available when they leave. Even two and done players are somewhat problematic. I certainly don't mind one and done graduate transfers because they are more mature players and you know they will be around for only one year.

I could be missing guys but I think people need to change the narrative around “missed”Minnesota recruits and success they have elsewhere obviously some or all of these would have helped us but it’s not like they have lit the world on fire or had great part in team success:

2016 Minnesota class
Amir and Hurt 3 years 2 NCAA appearances 1 win
Reed Nikko 3 years 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins

2017 Minnesota class
Nate Reveurs Brad Davison 2 years 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins
Mckinly Wright 2 years 0 NCAA appearances 0 wins
Theo John 2 years 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins
Jericho Sims 2 years 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins
Race Thompson 2 years 0 NCAA 0 wins

2018 Minnesota class
Daniel, Gabe and Jarvis 1 year 1 NCAA appearance 1 win
Joe Hedstrom 1 year 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins

All I can see is that when you stay you have more NCAA success than those that leave to similar programs. Kids who stayed have so far experienced better ncaa success then kids who have left and that’s a fact.

Love it. Everyone is looking for negative narratives, time to look at the positive side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Beating the same dead horse.

- Do we want the best MN kids to stay home? Of course.
- Nobody gets every home state kid! We have done better than many of our B1G rivals.
- Does every MN D1 recruit fit what Pitino wants or are they even good enough to play at the U (thinking top tier goal for MN)? No
- We have the best group MN freshman recruits at the U in decades!
- Should we take any type of player just because they are from MN? NO!

Relax. Pitino will fill in the class with very good recruits. If the MN kids don’t advantage of the opportunity at the U then it is their loss. And it sure doesn’t help with local recruiting by bashing the program and adding to the myth that they are too good to play for the U.

Beating the same dead horse.

- Do we want the best MN kids to stay home? Of course.
- Nobody gets every home state kid! We have done better than many of our B1G rivals.
- Does every MN D1 recruit fit what Pitino wants or are they even good enough to play at the U (thinking top tier goal for MN)? No
- We have the best group MN freshman recruits at the U in decades!
- Should we take any type of player just because they are from MN? NO!

Relax. Pitino will fill in the class with very good recruits. If the MN kids don’t advantage of the opportunity at the U then it is their loss. And it sure doesn’t help with local recruiting by bashing the program and adding to the myth that they are too good to play for the U.

Spot on! Let’s have some positivity on this board. I’ll be there next fall at the tip-off scrimmage event wide-eyed with anticipation waiting to see the new freshman play for the first time. I will likely think they are better than they really are, but that’s what fall is for. I will cheer them on and support them regardless of their faults and thank them for choosing the Gophers. I will consider all the MN high school guys who thought they were too high and mighty to play for the home team as traitors who gave up their Minnesota birthrights. Then I’ll be ripped for caring too much for MN basketball and for being too colonial. I don’t care. It’s all in fun anyway. Go Gophers!

Yep. But unfortunately I think this is the new normal

Simply not true. Tons of schools and great players that play it clean. Speaking of dads and funneling shoe money !

I just don't understand why some of these top talent kids dont' want to play at the U. They get 1-2 of their buddies to sign up with them and they can win anywhere. Why not at the U?

Maybe we just don't pay well enough? Being facetious...kind of.

I don't know. It's kind of a bummer though. It certainly isn't easy going up against all that tradition, history and success that the blueblood programs are able to offer to players, and I am sure that must be one heck of a draw. Ahh well. Just makes me appreciate the Minnesota kids who choose to stay home all the more.

RE: Hurt though, why Memphis? When I think of traditional 'blueblood' programs, Memphis (State) certainly ain't that. That just seems really, really random.

Interesting examples. Tubby would have been better off looking elsewhere. Humphries played only one year here and the team improved significantly in the year after he left. Rickerts did play two years so I guess he was worth recruiting.

One and done players don't do much for a program like this because we don't have a line of other potential one and done players available when they leave. Even two and done players are somewhat problematic. I certainly don't mind one and done graduate transfers because they are more mature players and you know they will be around for only one year.

And didn’t both those kids commit to blue bloods? Humphries to Duke and Rickert to AZ? Rickert wouldn’t have seen the floor nearly as much in AZ which I believe drove him back and Humphries was basically given the key to the program to be a stat monger. If I’m correct wasn’t it rumored that Monson begged him to come back home and told him he could basically run the program? That team stunk partially because Kris was a ballhog.

I don’t necessarily care if these 5 star Minnesota kids want to leave for a blue blood, but please don’t pretend like Minnesota is “still in it” when you eliminated them months ago. It’s disingenuous and comes off as a desperate attempt to maximize local media attention. The parents are generally a big part of this too, I’m sure.

Matthew... When you already have a 5 star's respect, going to a blue blood school is just the norm. Sure you may have the best chance to win a title. Sure you may be part of a long standing tradition, but this is the easy route. Why not try to make history with your home school? You'll be a hero. You'll have the best chance to play with your brother. You'll be part of a great young, up and coming team. Write your history at Minnesota!

That was my pitch. I tried.

Matthew... When you already have a 5 star's respect, going to a blue blood school is just the norm. Sure you may have the best chance to win a title. Sure you may be part of a long standing tradition, but this is the easy route. Why not try to make history with your home school? You'll be a hero. You'll have the best chance to play with your brother. You'll be part of a great young, up and coming team. Write your history at Minnesota!

I am all in. At his level unfortunately it is so much about brand and at Duke it is national. Look at UW, AS GREAT AS THEY HAVE BEEN the national brand pales in comparison to Duke, KU and UK. ESPN is on full promo all the time.

I don’t necessarily care if these 5 star Minnesota kids want to leave for a blue blood, but please don’t pretend like Minnesota is “still in it” when you eliminated them months ago. It’s disingenuous and comes off as a desperate attempt to maximize local media attention. The parents are generally a big part of this too, I’m sure.

We act like kids don't have dream schools growing up or they haven't watched March Madness for years said I want to be part of that program. Another thing we got to factor in is weather. If kids that are 5 stars went to Wisconsin I would be pissed but Duke, Kansas, Stanford, Arizona, and UNLV have been the choices of the 4/5 star players that we have missed on. A chance to leave home and a new experience in warmer weather is not bad at all. I wish we could get the upper echelon talent but if we just secured the 2nd tier we would be more than fine.

I am all in. At his level unfortunately it is so much about brand and at Duke it is national. Look at UW, AS GREAT AS THEY HAVE BEEN the national brand pales in comparison to Duke, KU and UK. ESPN is on full promo all the time.

True, but he'll just be another 5 star... even if they win a title, he'll just be another 5 star that won a title... At Minnesota, he'd be a hero on the national stage. He'd be a God in his home state. He'd have your name and jersey on the rafters next to Murphy. Be part of the resistance, not just another storm trooper general! Bring Balance to the force!

May the force be with us.

Yes, aside from Duke swooping up some of the top players from Minnesota the past few years, I wouldn't even pay any attention to them. As it is, with the constant barrage of media attention, I despise them and cheer for their failure at all times.

Yes, aside from Duke swooping up some of the top players from Minnesota the past few years, I wouldn't even pay any attention to them. As it is, with the constant barrage of media attention, I despise them and cheer for their failure at all times.

Yes, my #1 despised team. Can’t stand them. Pompous coach K makes me want to puke. Now hearing about all of his personal trophies on display in his office increases my distaste. I’m just hoping (ever so slightly) that a well-grounded kid like Mathew might just see through all that elitist crap and pick the home school. I know-I’m dreaming again.

True, but he'll just be another 5 star... even if they win a title, he'll just be another 5 star that won a title... At Minnesota, he'd be a hero on the national stage. He'd be a God in his home state. He'd have your name and jersey on the rafters next to Murphy. Be part of the resistance, not just another storm trooper general! Bring Balance to the force!

May the force be with us.

Would a one-and-done really get their jersey in the rafters? Seems like he would have be some transcendental player to accomplish that in one year. Maybe if he becomes a star in the NBA, but from a quick google search, the highest I've seen him projected is a mid first rounder. It would be really cool to get him, but even if we did, I don't think that that would guarantee us a final four or anything. Local 5-star Romeo Langford is playing the NIT for Indiana.

Would a one-and-done really get their jersey in the rafters? Seems like he would have be some transcendental player to accomplish that in one year. Maybe if he becomes a star in the NBA, but from a quick google search, the highest I've seen him projected is a mid first rounder. It would be really cool to get him, but even if we did, I don't think that that would guarantee us a final four or anything. Local 5-star Romeo Langford is playing the NIT for Indiana.

Well, I'm speaking of the assumption that he helps Minnesota win a national title. Obviously that's a long shot even if we get him here but my point was that it would make for a better story than for him to go to a blue blood as be just another year of top recruits. That's all I meant. I know it's not realistic, just trying to do my part lol.

If he joined the Gophers and led them to even the Elite Eight, I don't think he'd ever have to buy a drink in Dinky town ever again.

If he joined the Gophers and led them to even the Elite Eight, I don't think he'd ever have to buy a drink in Dinky town ever again.

If he goes to Kansas , he won’t be able to find a drink.

Would almost have to do what Carmelo Anthony did.

I think it's a calculated play, everything is taken into account and the route that increases the probability that he becomes a first round draft choice is the one he is going to take. It has nothing to do with loyalty, liking a school, or anything else. I feel that is why the top players almost always choose a blue blood, to minimize the risk, and why not.

Spot on! Let’s have some positivity on this board. I’ll be there next fall at the tip-off scrimmage event wide-eyed with anticipation waiting to see the new freshman play for the first time. I will likely think they are better than they really are, but that’s what fall is for. I will cheer them on and support them regardless of their faults and thank them for choosing the Gophers. I will consider all the MN high school guys who thought they were too high and mighty to play for the home team as traitors who gave up their Minnesota birthrights. Then I’ll be ripped for caring too much for MN basketball and for being too colonial. I don’t care. It’s all in fun anyway. Go Gophers!

A true fan. Love it!

I think it's a calculated play, everything is taken into account and the route that increases the probability that he becomes a first round draft choice is the one he is going to take. It has nothing to do with loyalty, liking a school, or anything else. I feel that is why the top players almost always choose a blue blood, to minimize the risk, and why not.

The sad irony is that if they all would have stayed home they could also win a national championship.

Top Bottom