All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Cheaters will continue to cheat no matter the rules. They will look to get an advantage no mater what the ground rules are. The only way to stop them is to actually punish them. Kansas and North Carolina should be banned from the post season for 5 years and their players should be grated immediate eligibility if they choose to transfer. They can still have their scholarships though.

The ncaa's job, yes sir.

If the same thing happened at MN, burn it down.

per KeepingItHeel:

No. 7 in the 247Sports Composite, Hurt has long been considered a strong Kansas lean. In recent weeks, though, Kentucky coach John Calipari appears to have turned up the heat in his pursuit of the versatile post player out of Rochester, Minnesota.

North Carolina is said to still be a player in the race, too, and the Tar Heels will make their best pitch when Hurt comes to town this weekend. He’ll be in attendance when the Tar Heels host the Gonzaga Bulldogs Saturday night in what should be one of the best environments in college basketball this season.

Current projections on 247Sports favor Kansas to land Hurt in a landslide over second-place Minnesota.

https://keepingitheel.com/2018/12/12/unc-basketball-latest-5-star-pf-matthew-hurt/

Go Gophers!!

In other words, Coach Cal came in with a pickupload full or cash causing Hurt to reconsider if the dufflebag full from Kansas was really competitive. North Carolina also tries their best with a sportscar and lifetime membership to the powder room of their local strip club.

In other words, Coach Cal came in with a pickupload full or cash causing Hurt to reconsider if the dufflebag full from Kansas was really competitive. North Carolina also tries their best with a sportscar and lifetime membership to the powder room of their local strip club.

No, but their cheating allows them to have perennial national contender teams that gives them the clout to come and poach a player like Hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, but their cheating allows them to have perennial national contender teams that gives them the clout to come and poach a player like Hurt.

"poach" a player is a funny concept. We have no right to Hurt. He happened to have parents who choose to live in Minnesota. Doesn't mean a thing. If I was him I'd go elsewhere. No reason to stay here. What has Minnesota ever done? Wouldn't we think its ridiculous if a kid like Hurt went to another mid-tier B1G program? Yes. But because its Minnesota and he is from here, we call it poaching. Hilarious.

"poach" a player is a funny concept. We have no right to Hurt. He happened to have parents who choose to live in Minnesota. Doesn't mean a thing. If I was him I'd go elsewhere. No reason to stay here. What has Minnesota ever done? Wouldn't we think its ridiculous if a kid like Hurt went to another mid-tier B1G program? Yes. But because its Minnesota and he is from here, we call it poaching. Hilarious.

Wow, surprised by your post. You must not be a Gopher fan. Everyone is entitled to a opinion. But, come on, fine let him play for a blue blood what guarantees him a national championship. Gary Trent found that out.

You are one grumpy dude. I've seen your posts lately and talk about hilarious. Is there anything that makes you happy? I assume you are still ditching your season tickets?

Hurt won't start at North Carolina,Kansas or Kentucky.

I can never understand what all the fuss is about.

You're right on the we have no right to Hurt. I think MN fans are a little more spoiled that way because we have no other real D1 schools to compete with so we assume all MN kids want to be gophers. I think Hurt is going to honestly wait and see what it looks like for playing time at different positions and will choose his school based on that. I think MN has a fair shot, but can't blame a kid if he wants to go play in Lawrence, Chapel Hill, or Lexington. Plus the 1 and done kids on non blue bloods doesn't necessarily have a high success rate. Thinking of Ben Simmons with LSU, Fultz with Washington, as a few examples.

per the Rochester Post Bulletin: Hurt ready for another official visit

John Marshall senior Matthew Hurt, a five-star basketball recruit, is scheduled to take another official visit this weekend to a traditional college power.

The 6-foot-9 Hurt has a game with JM on Friday night, the Rockets hosting Winona. He will then leave for a visit at the University of North Carolina and will watch the Tar Heels play Gonzaga in men’s basketball on Saturday night. Hurt visited Kentucky the weekend of Dec. 1

“My main thing is I was going to try and see what a game looks like for that school,” Hurt said. “What they do before games, what they do after. How they prep for teams, shoot arounds, all of that. So I’ll take a lot into consideration.”

Hurt is allowed five officials visits, which includes wining and dining from the school, but he can also take unofficial visits. He has two more official visits planned.

“I’m going to try to go to Duke sometimes in January for an ACC game and then Kansas in February, probably,” he said.

If Hurt takes an official fifth visit, it would likely to be at Minnesota, Villanova or Memphis. His brother, Michael, is currently a backup junior forward at Minnesota.

Hurt says he will likely announce his college choice in April. He just started his senior season at JM and has to plan recruiting trips around the Rockets’ schedule.

“I was either going to do it during the season or in the fall,” he said of the visits. “I just wanted to use the fall to get better and be here with my family and my friends. Traveling wise, it’s not going to make a difference. It’s only a weekend.”

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports...cle_9d0381e2-fcc8-11e8-a990-d7ce0faa5803.html

Go Gophers!!

Plus the 1 and done kids on non blue bloods doesn't necessarily have a high success rate. Thinking of Ben Simmons with LSU, Fultz with Washington, as a few examples.

Not sure what you're talking about. From the kids perspective (their NBA draft stock), the non blue bloods have a very high success rate. Two guys you mentioned were #1 overall picks. Throw in Colin Sexton, Trae Young. Heck, look at Zhaire Smith, not even a top 150 recruit who ended up going 16th after a freshman year at a non blue blood. So the argument can clearly be made that MN over blue bloods is the best choice from that perspective.

I think the only near certainty is that Hurt would play a ton out of the gate at Minnesota whereas the UNC, Kansas, Duke, and UK might have a player or two challenging him for PT. I think NBA exposure would not be much worse at Minnesota if he is determined to leave after one year.

I doubt he will end up at Minnesota but I suppose its possible. He would help our team without a doubt but his absence would not Hurt us either, no pun intended.

I think the only near certainty is that Hurt would play a ton out of the gate at Minnesota whereas the UNC, Kansas, Duke, and UK might have a player or two challenging him for PT. I think NBA exposure would not be much worse at Minnesota if he is determined to leave after one year.

I doubt he will end up at Minnesota but I suppose its possible. He would help our team without a doubt but his absence would not Hurt us either, no pun intended.

The idea of Hurt struggling to earn PT at any school is honestly hilarious.

He would only be about the highest recruited player the Gophers have ever had, so it probably would be kind of nice to get him (maybe Darryl Mitchell). We aren't going to get him though.

The discussion was about schools not being punished for clear violations that allow them to be powerhouses. Schools like UNC and Kansas can recruit players nationally because they cheat to get the better players and thus have better W/L and tournament records. I referred to them as poaching players that should not be available to them if they were punished or followed the rules. I did not mention anything about the U having any right to Hurt. The poaching is versus any school that doesn’t cheat. You are the one who went off on this tangent about Minnesota.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Doogie said: "I am not dismissing the idea that Matthew Hurt will ever play for the Gophers or that he will play for the Gophers next year, but I am pretty much dismissing the idea that Matthew Hurt will play for Richard Pitino. I'm just saying, we all like Richard Pitino in this room, we all know him pretty well personally, I like him. I'd have a beer with Richard any day of the week. I really enjoy his company, and hey it's my Alma Mater so I can have a bias, but for Richard's sake as I like him personally, I hope he ends up with 11 Big Ten wins, wins an NCAA Tournament game and is the coach next year, I really do. I hope that, but I'm looking at it logically and seeing the Big Ten is going to be a grind, getting to 10 victories in the Big Ten is going to be tough...if you make the Tournament and you are 1 and done, would Coyle look at someone like Eric Mussleman or Fred Hoiberg. I'm just saying, it's worth watching."

http://www.1500espn.com/mackey-judd-ondemand/

Go Gophers!!

Hurt is smart to wait until April. He’ll know a lot more about teams’ rosters, who’s committed where, who’s leaving, which programs he’s interested in perhaps could be in jeopardy of a postseason ban in 2020.

I think that’s the only way he’s not going to Kansas. ... if he thinks there’s any chance KU will be ineligible during the one season he’ll be a part of college basketball.

Have you seen him play?

I have seen him several times and in fact in the company of two D1 coaches this week. He will start for anyone. However, for those that think he will come in and dominate are just not dealing in reality. There was a post on here that there was not any reason to come here. Simply not true. Family, friends maybe a Gopher fan growing up although that is never a given in the last 30 years kids grow up watching teams from all over. Easy to make a list of why he would go elsewhere. Better coaching at dozens of schools, better chance to win, legendary programs, way more marquee TV games, weather, more prestigious schools. Whatever that means to him i hope that he does great no matter the program.

I have seen him several times and in fact in the company of two D1 coaches this week. He will start for anyone. However, for those that think he will come in and dominate are just not dealing in reality. There was a post on here that there was not any reason to come here. Simply not true. Family, friends maybe a Gopher fan growing up although that is never a given in the last 30 years kids grow up watching teams from all over. Easy to make a list of why he would go elsewhere. Better coaching at dozens of schools, better chance to win, legendary programs, way more marquee TV games, weather, more prestigious schools. Whatever that means to him i hope that he does great no matter the program.

Well you must have been in Northfield on Tuesday night then. I didn't see any other D1 coaches there besides Roy Williams and his assistant Hubert Davis. I just think after going to North Carolina this weekend and watching the Gonzaga game...and then going to Duke, Kentucky and Kansas later this year, the chances of him coming to the U are slim and none. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I've watched him play probably 10-15 times (one of my best friends from college played basketball at JM and I had a gf who lives in Rochester the last few years). He is way more skilled than people think. He might be the only guy on his team who can get the ball down the court under pressure, so I wouldn't say his ball handling skills are average, especially for a kid who is 6'8 or 6'9. In Northfield, they were super aggressive with him with a couple of guys grabbing him the whole time he was in. Plus the guy Northfield had on him is about 6'4 and a very good football player (he is playing tomorrow in an All-Star game). He is probably one of the fastest guys in the Big 9 conference. Despite being double and tripled teamed every time he touched the ball, he still scored about 30 against Northfield, even though he missed 2/3 of the second half.

By the way, he had 53 tonight against Winona.

“My main thing is I was going to try and see what a game looks like for that school,” Hurt said. “What they do before games, what they do after. How they prep for teams, shoot arounds, all of that. So I’ll take a lot into consideration.”

After reading this, I think Pitino needs to reinstate the Bill Musselman early 70’s pre-game warm-ups. The Barn would start to fill up a good 30 minutes before the game started because people came to watch the show. Not any real good video on YouTube, so this will have to suffice. Indiana is warming up on the right side of the court. Gophers don’t come out until 2:00 into the video. Listen to the crowd. Tell me this atmosphere didn’t impress recruits.

Last edited:

So it was a warmup to a loss, then... (Since Indiana went undefeated in winning the title in '75).
Seriously though, I loved the warmup, but we were easily impressed in that era. No internet, 3 tv channels, that newfangled VCR thing, and video games meant Pong. The Globetrotters were in their heyday. Would a 2018 recruit be impressed by a dribbling exhibition?
On a side note: I haven't gotten to a game yet this year--are they doing a laser light show on that nice white screen we're calling a basketball court?

Last edited:

So it was a warmup to a loss, then... (Since Indiana went undefeated in winning the title in '75).
Seriously though, I loved the warmup, but we were easily impressed in that era. No internet, 3 tv channels, that newfangled VCR thing, and video games meant Pong. The Globetrotters were in there heyday. Would a 2018 recruit be impressed by a dribbling exhibition?
On a side note: I haven't gotten to a game yet this year--are they doing a laser light show on that nice white screen we're calling a basketball court?

Actually they lost in the tournament after Scott May broke his arm. They were undefeated and National Champions in '76. Then Knight won it again in '81 with Isaiah Thomas and again in '86 (or '87) I believe with Steve Alford. They were undefeated in '75 until the tournament though.

I was at the Indiana game in '76...Mychal Thompson wore bells on his shoes. It would have been fun to see the team in the video play in the tournament in the 76-77 season...especially if Mark Olberding would have stayed around. I think Ray Williams was on that team and Kevin McHale should have been a freshman since Hibbing lost the state championship in '76 to Jefferson.

Top Bottom