All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Wait until they are starting at St. Thomas (after they get forced into D1 by the MIAC). If you think the occasional media coverage is bad now, it will get 1000% worse when their highlights are pushing Gopher highlights to the back of the newscast.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Have you not seen the thread about the MIAC (Minnesota Inter-something Athletic Conference) working to make the University of St. Thomas (in St. Paul) either leave their conference or adhere to their strict academic attendance policy for all students, including athletes?

St. Thomas already has their football games broadcast on WCCO radio. Even through it is on AM, WCCO is a 50,000 watt transmitting giant. The Good Neighbor, as it is called, packs a lot of broadcasting clout. St. Thomas can leverage that to FM radio and TV. It would bolster their sports presence immensely.

Every recruit the Gophers pass on, who goes to St. Thomas, will be seen weekly in the local news highlights. It will be broadcast with Gopher highlights.

If you thought the embarrassment of getting beat by South Dakota State, the University of South Dakota, the University of North Dakota or North Dakota State was bad, wait until you have the Gophers compared to St. Thomas on a weekly basis. Every station will be crowing about their athletic successes going through DIII, DII, and finally in DI. The Gophers will be also rans in the PR pushed to the side of the newscasts, unless all Gophers sports start winning regularly and winning Nation Championships.

Have you not seen the thread about the MIAC (Minnesota Inter-something Athletic Conference) working to make the University of St. Thomas (in St. Paul) either leave their conference or adhere to their strict academic attendance policy for all students, including athletes?

St. Thomas already has their football games broadcast on WCCO radio. Even through it is on AM, WCCO is a 50,000 watt transmitting giant. The Good Neighbor, as it is called, packs a lot of broadcasting clout. St. Thomas can leverage that to FM radio and TV. It would bolster their sports presence immensely.

Every recruit the Gophers pass on, who goes to St. Thomas, will be seen weekly in the local news highlights. It will be broadcast with Gopher highlights.

If you thought the embarrassment of getting beat by South Dakota State, the University of South Dakota, the University of North Dakota or North Dakota State was bad, wait until you have the Gophers compared to St. Thomas on a weekly basis. Every station will be crowing about their athletic successes going through DIII, DII, and finally in DI. The Gophers will be also rans in the PR pushed to the side of the newscasts, unless all Gophers sports start winning regularly and winning Nation Championships.

So you are predicting Jalen Suggs final five -- Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, and St. Thomas?

This is a tad extreme. To have happen what you're suggesting would be a 20 year process. It will take St. Thomas 12 years just to get to full DI status, if it chooses to. But, St. Thomas has already said it will remain DIII, even if the MIAC kicks the Tommies out.

WCCO carries the football games because St. Thomas buys the radio time and pays WCCO to carry the games.

There is no comparison between the coverage the Gophers and Tommies get.

St. Thomas averaged 2673 fans per home football game and 701 fans per home game for men's basketball this past season and was ranked No. 1 for a time. Good for them, but let's not get too carried away here about the Tommies running away and getting all the publicity.

Last edited:

Yeah, St. Thomas going D1 or NDSU going FBS in football are the two things I never want to see happen. They can have all the success they want in the lower tiers, I don't care and it is of virtually no consequence to the U of M. But I never want to see our "only child" status challenged when it comes to college sports in the upper midwest. We have a hard enough time as it is!

So you are predicting Jalen Suggs final five -- Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, and St. Thomas?
Not next year. Like the University Administration you are not looking at the bigger picture. This could be an 8 to 10 year event. Given the Administration's short and inconsistent attention span, at the end of it all Gopher fans would be "how did this happen?" when anyone could have seen it coming from the start and done something about it.

This is a tad extreme. To have happen what you're suggesting would be a 20 year process. It will take St. Thomas 12 years just to get to full DI status, if it chooses to. But, St. Thomas has already said it will remain DIII, even if the MIAC kicks the Tommies out.

WCCO carries the football games because St. Thomas buys the radio time and pays WCCO to carry the games.

There is no comparison between the coverage the Gophers and Tommies get.
Typical short-sightedness of someone who looks up and is shocked that St Thomas beat out the Gophers for 5 star recruits.

This could be an 8 to 10 year event

St. Thomas can't even get to DI in 8 to 10 years, let alone steal all of the media attention and take over the entire state of Minnesota.

And, even if St. Thomas got to DI, they are never going to get a 5* recruit. Exactly what DI conference are the Tommies going to join that will attract all of these 5* kids?

Take a step back and calm down.

Last edited:

Typical short-sightedness of someone who looks up and is shocked that St Thomas beat out the Gophers for 5 star recruits.

Lol, takes like this are why it is very difficult for people to take you seriously.

Yeah, St. Thomas going D1 or NDSU going FBS in football are the two things I never want to see happen. They can have all the success they want in the lower tiers, I don't care and it is of virtually no consequence to the U of M. But I never want to see our "only child" status challenged when it comes to college sports in the upper midwest. We have a hard enough time as it is!

Maybe the "only child" status is what's holding the Gophers back this century. Wisconsin has made it to 3 Final Fours, with 3 other intrastate DI programs.

Is Twinkle Toes Hurt waiting until Good Friday Services to declare his holy message?

giphy.gif

Yeah, I didn't get that. With all the rumors about Michael, was that just a show of him still being loyal to the U? Who knows?

Could just be a good photo op for the fam and school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom