All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

I think it's a calculated play, everything is taken into account and the route that increases the probability that he becomes a first round draft choice is the one he is going to take. It has nothing to do with loyalty, liking a school, or anything else. I feel that is why the top players almost always choose a blue blood, to minimize the risk, and why not.

So Zion wouldn't be Zion if he played at Minnesota?

So Zion wouldn't be Zion if he played at Minnesota?

What are you talking about, that comment has nothing to do with what I posted, also you bring up someone that is obviously an outlier, if you know anything about statistics you would throw him out, he would impact all of your averages.

What are you talking about, that comment has nothing to do with what I posted, also you bring up someone that is obviously an outlier, if you know anything about statistics you would throw him out, he would impact all of your averages.

You will never convince me that the top 10 players drafted in the NBA couldn't play anywhere in college and still be drafted the same.

They are all seen over and over and over and over.

The sad irony is that if they all would have stayed home they could also win a national championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This x1,000,000. Why don’t these kids realize this? A group of similarly talented five guys DID in Michigan many years ago (the “Fab 5”), and that turned out pretty darn good.

This COULD happen here. It drives me NUTS when I hear about the great “Programs” at the blue blood school’s. They would suddenly NOT be great “programs” if top recruits suddenly stopped going there! Program Schmogram! (That sounded pretty cool). It is all about recruiting, not some mythical “program”. I would LOVE to see how many wins the high and mighty omniscient and omnipresent “Coach K” would have gotten with our roster and schedule. He wouldn’t have looked so great.

All it would take is a cluster of these guys to say “yes” to the home school and WE would have a “Great Program”. Coffey and Oturu were two brave ones to what I hoped would be the start of this cataclysmic event. Then, like his brother before him, Tre took the easy road and snubbed even his close friends. Can you imagine how much better we would have been this year with Tre at the point? Now, Matthew will make the next choice. Will he proudly carry the name of his home state where he was born, went to school, learned to play ball, developed 90% of his friends, his family resides, and his brother plays, or again take the easy (cowardly lion) route?

Of course, I say all of this in light of the fact that this is just a game, and all in fun, and these kids can go wherever they want, bla, bla, bla. But $”!;$?!’l, I want them to stay home and turn OUR team into a great “Program”.

Murray State and Marquette each have a guy that gets NBA buzz. They score a lot. I think Hurt could stand out more as a Gopher because he'd show the separation from his teammates. He's still a top 10 high school player and he's played on a mediocre high school team that never went to state. AAU trumped that for him. NBA wise I think he'd have to lead Minnesota to top 10 status and a top three seed in the tournament to be a top NBA pick....to do that he'd have to score and rebound which he's very good at.
Going to Duke, Kentucky etc he could score less and people might notice his clueless defense more. He can block shots in front of the rim but I question if he can defend another post...I know he can't defend a perimeter player.
Lots of scenarios depending where he goes...there definitely is an argument to being the BMOC but I think he will probably like just being part of the team with a blue blood.
He is absolutely offensively talented in many ways!!! I just wonder if he'll defer to other guys at a Duke etc? Dunno What I guess I'm saying is personality matters in top 10 players....how will he respond?

Michael has the talent to score, not the personality. Matthew with 5 guys almost as talented...what will he do?

Murray State and Marquette each have a guy that gets NBA buzz. They score a lot. I think Hurt could stand out more as a Gopher because he'd show the separation from his teammates. He's still a top 10 high school player and he's played on a mediocre high school team that never went to state. AAU trumped that for him. NBA wise I think he'd have to lead Minnesota to top 10 status and a top three seed in the tournament to be a top NBA pick....to do that he'd have to score and rebound which he's very good at.
Going to Duke, Kentucky etc he could score less and people might notice his clueless defense more. He can block shots in front of the rim but I question if he can defend another post...I know he can't defend a perimeter player.
Lots of scenarios depending where he goes...there definitely is an argument to being the BMOC but I think he will probably like just being part of the team with a blue blood.
He is absolutely offensively talented in many ways!!! I just wonder if he'll defer to other guys at a Duke etc? Dunno What I guess I'm saying is personality matters in top 10 players....how will he respond?

Michael has the talent to score, not the personality. Matthew with 5 guys almost as talented...what will he do?

You think his defense is poor?

You will never convince me that the top 10 players drafted in the NBA couldn't play anywhere in college and still be drafted the same.

They are all seen over and over and over and over.

Agree, but his Brand is way bigger at Duke then it ever could be here.

The sad irony is that if they all would have stayed home they could also win a national championship.

Not for me. I actually want all young people to pick the place they want to go and to do well while they are there. If that is the U great, if not great. I tell every kid when asked about Stanford to go !

Agree, but his Brand is way bigger at Duke then it ever could be here.

Maybe for some fans, but the pro’s could care less where you went to school. Brand means nothing once you lace up your shoes for an NBA training camp. You have to prove it on the court.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not for me. I actually want all young people to pick the place they want to go and to do well while they are there. If that is the U great, if not great. I tell every kid when asked about Stanford to go !

Great take. People need to be focused and enjoy people who want to be here instead of being sad some locals don't want to stay. Local kids can go somewhere else just like other locals from other states can come here

Stanford is different, kids who go there know education is more important than playing ball.

Of course we want kids to go where they want. Many kids get caught up in the bright lights and feel that if they go someplace else that it signifies they are successful.

We also live in a professional sports area that has a press that takes enjoyment out of belittling the local university. Add to that a perpetually pessimistic fanbase that expects defeat. This all adds to a bias against the U.

The frustration is that Minnesota has begun producing a good number of quality college players that could turn the U into a powerful program. The Barn has an unbelievable atmosphere and energy. The Minnesota kids playing for the U is a family.

The so called blue blood schools act like they are family, but they just want the next cog in the wheel.

Hurt apparently trying to look like the young thug turned Turtle ally from the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie with the bandana he is sporting in the McD game.

ESPN shamelessly airing, "Why should this player come play with you?" featuring a kid from Duke, a kid from UNC, and a kid from Kentucky all pitching their recruiting plugs and name dropping Hurt.

The sad thing is he would d@mn near be a god if he stayed in MN and brought us success. At duke, NC or kentucky he'd just be another one and done no one cared about.

Stanford is different, kids who go there know education is more important than playing ball.

Of course we want kids to go where they want. Many kids get caught up in the bright lights and feel that if they go someplace else that it signifies they are successful.

We also live in a professional sports area that has a press that takes enjoyment out of belittling the local university. Add to that a perpetually pessimistic fanbase that expects defeat. This all adds to a bias against the U.

The frustration is that Minnesota has begun producing a good number of quality college players that could turn the U into a powerful program. The Barn has an unbelievable atmosphere and energy. The Minnesota kids playing for the U is a family.

The so called blue blood schools act like they are family, but they just want the next cog in the wheel.

What about kids that simply pick a great coach.

What about kids that simply pick a great coach.

The players make the coach!

Just since 2007 he has had 33 McDonalds All Americans (that is 2.75/yr). How much of an advantage is that? That easily gives you a starting line up of not just 5-star players, but McDonalds All American players!!!! Someones Grandmother can win with players like that. And still, in 5 of those 12 years he lost in the first or second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Coach K is a good coach, but I would like to see how well he does coaching a team decimated with injuries and starting a walk-on at PG.

Just since 2007 he has had 33 McDonalds All Americans (that is 2.75/yr). How much of an advantage is that? That easily gives you a starting line up of not just 5-star players, but McDonalds All American players!!!! Someones Grandmother can win with players like that. And still, in 5 of those 12 years he lost in the first or second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Coach K is a good coach, but I would like to see how well he does coaching a team decimated with injuries and starting a walk-on at PG.

I was listening to a Jeff Goodman podcast a week or two ago. They compared K vs Roy and Roys record is better. Interesting how K is looked at as iconic. Surprised he's gone the one and done route as it's been proven it's not a formula for National Championships

I was listening to a Jeff Goodman podcast a week or two ago. They compared K vs Roy and Roys record is better. Interesting how K is looked at as iconic. Surprised he's gone the one and done route as it's been proven it's not a formula for National Championships

Worked for K with Okafor, Winslow and Tyus and Cal with Anthony Davis and the crew.

In a one and done tourney anything can happen. Young players all think he is a better coach that Pitino. You seem surprised that kids pick so many coaches ahead of ours. K built that program . The first years were gritty tough but the culture was installed day one. He bought into one and done but it is not as though 18 year olds are always going to win titles. They don't. When kids are asked the reasons they pick a school they answer coach by a wide margin. K is not always 1st, neither is Cal as some find them phony or arrogant, but more often than not those blue blood schools are once in a lifetime experiences. Some kids pick a culture of pursuing a masters degree and a future that could be basketball as well. Some just flat out pick Stanford because it is flat out the best thing that could ever happen to them. I hope Hurt plays here but if i was Hurt i would not stay here. If i was Gabe, giving his offers, i would have picked here. Build a winner like others have and guess what, you get better players.

Worked for K with Okafor, Winslow and Tyus and Cal with Anthony Davis and the crew.

What % of K's championships have been won with 1 and done? How about the last 13 championships since the rule was put in place? Outliers will always exist

Well, aside from the one he won with one-and-dones, of course.

My point was he's been more successful going the other route, but sure I wrote that not knowing Tyus won a NC. Come on you're a data guy, be better

Last edited:

My point was he's been more successful going the other route, but sure I wtote that not knowing Tyus won a NC. Come on you're a data guy, be better

Two out of 13 is not an outlier. If you could guarantee two national championships for every 13 years of coaching, every basketball coach on the planet would love those odds and would gladly take them.

Two out of 13 is not an outlier. If you could guarantee two national championships for every 13 years of coaching, every basketball coach on the planet would love those odds and would gladly take them.

And the 2009 Kentucky class with John, Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Bledsoe and Orton was really the first class where a coach compiled several one and done, 5 stars on the same team. Before that, most coaches would take a single one and done and then a number of upper classmen. So the sample so far is really 9 years, not 13.

And the 2009 Kentucky class with John, Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Bledsoe and Orton was really the first class where a coach compiled several one and done, 5 stars on the same team. Before that, most coaches would take a single one and done and then a number of upper classmen. So the sample so far is really 9 years, not 13.

I went 13 because I counted the OSU Greg Oden class as the first one, but you're probably more on with Kentuckys group. Now the idea of adding a stud 5 star freshman to vets seems to be a common recipe for NCAA championship teams.

Last edited:

Each coach won 1 that way so it wouldn't be 2 of 13. If we go by the 9 years instead of 13, look at the teams who've won championship. Heck look at this year. Duke and Kentucky both should've losses last weekend. Going the route of developing 3-4 year guys and sprinkling in a high end guy has proven to be the most successful way to win an NCAA championship. Playing that many freshman has proven to not be. For K and Cal is is more about branding now though honestly. That they are dominating in.

Kentucky.com: UK recruit’s father grew up ‘idolizing Kenny Payne’ ... and the Louisville Cardinals

There’s often a hometown pull when it comes to high-profile college basketball commitments. Local fans get to know a young player who transforms into a star, and they want him to stay nearby and play for their favorite school. It’s a natural reaction.

And, naturally, Minnesota basketball fans would love nothing more than for Matthew Hurt — a McDonald’s All-American and one of the greatest high school players in state history — to make a surprise announcement that he’ll be playing next season for the Golden Gophers.

There’s another state with plenty of connections to Hurt and his family. It’s Kentucky.

“We have a lot of family still in Kentucky,” Richard Hurt, the star recruit’s father, told the Herald-Leader. “We have family in Owensboro. We have family in Murray. My cousin is a UK grad and she’s down in Nashville.”

The elder Hurt attended Murray State, just like his parents. He named off a long list of family and close friends that live in Kentucky and root hard for the Wildcats. Those folks, naturally, would love for Matthew to play for UK next season. He’ll likely choose either Kentucky, Duke, Kansas or North Carolina, a list of blue-blood options that has garnered plenty of interest inside and outside of his own home state.

“Our best friends from college live in Owensboro,” Hurt’s father said. “They’re teachers, and they have their kids come up to them all the time and ask them about Matthew. And they want him to go to Kentucky, right? So, it’s, ‘Oh, we saw something written about Duke’ and this and that.”

Rumors like that often warrant a phone call to find out what’s going on back in Minnesota.

“Big Blue Nation is definitely a real thing,” Hurt said with a chuckle.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-recruiting/article228410249.html

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Media outlets, including the Kansas City Star, were reporting yesterday that Rochester John Marshall five-star forward Matthew Hurt will announce his college choice April 19. Presumably the University of Kansas is still a finalist, although speculation is Jayhawks coach Bill Self could one day be coaching in the NBA where his name has been linked to the Bulls, Spurs and Thunder.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

In a one and done tourney anything can happen. Young players all think he is a better coach that Pitino. You seem surprised that kids pick so many coaches ahead of ours. K built that program . The first years were gritty tough but the culture was installed day one. He bought into one and done but it is not as though 18 year olds are always going to win titles. They don't. When kids are asked the reasons they pick a school they answer coach by a wide margin. K is not always 1st, neither is Cal as some find them phony or arrogant, but more often than not those blue blood schools are once in a lifetime experiences. Some kids pick a culture of pursuing a masters degree and a future that could be basketball as well. Some just flat out pick Stanford because it is flat out the best thing that could ever happen to them. I hope Hurt plays here but if i was Hurt i would not stay here. If i was Gabe, giving his offers, i would have picked here. Build a winner like others have and guess what, you get better players.

Wow.

per Shama:

Media outlets, including the Kansas City Star, were reporting yesterday that Rochester John Marshall five-star forward Matthew Hurt will announce his college choice April 19. Presumably the University of Kansas is still a finalist, although speculation is Jayhawks coach Bill Self could one day be coaching in the NBA where his name has been linked to the Bulls, Spurs and Thunder.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Is Shama very reliable?

This is the first time I've heard this about Self, but it would actually make some sense. Perhaps Self has finally decided to beat the posse (constant, probably not inaccurate KU cheating rumors/assumptions) out of town? KU seems to have a guy hung up in an NCAA ruling every season. (Josh Jackson, Silvio De Sousa, etc.)

Last edited:

Top Bottom