All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Agreed. I I personally hopes he waits til the Spring and sees that this a a good team with good pieces that he would have to work with here. I very much doubt he wants to drag a bad team and that is the perception of this team right now.

Regardless, he will get ripped much harder than Tre if he does decide to go elsewhere. I personally have no business criticising whatever decision he makes, but it would be refreshing to see him buck the trend and stay home.

Remember, Hurt is a local. You can be sure he knows the current Gophers and understands the talent level. There will be plenty of talent here to go a long way with if Hurt is as good as advertised. He would be in the situation where he could be the featured player on a team that is already pretty solid. It is just as good of a path to one and done as going to a blue blood where he is one of many.

If you look at the possible line up with him next year, it's really strong:

Oturo
Curry
Hurt
Coffey
Washington

BENCH: Carr, Gabe, Omersa, Willis, Hurt

Remember, Hurt is a local. You can be sure he knows the current Gophers and understands the talent level. There will be plenty of talent here to go a long way with if Hurt is as good as advertised. He would be in the situation where he could be the featured player on a team that is already pretty solid. It is just as good of a path to one and done as going to a blue blood where he is one of many.

Oturo
Curry
Hurt
Coffey
Washington

There's slot of tools in that Swiss army knife

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Oturo
Curry
Hurt
Coffey
Washington

He's not coming here. The KU/Adidas connection and ties to AAU are too much for family to pass up.

He's not coming here. The KU/Adidas connection and ties to AAU are too much for family to pass up.
He may go there, but Richard Hurt makes good money, he doesn't need Matthew to be his lottery ticket like most people who get themselves mixed up in that sort of thing

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

STrib: Matthew Hurt to have in-home visits with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas this weekend, Minnesota next week

The 6-foot-9 forward at Rochester John Marshall has Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, Kansas coach Bill Self and Kentucky coach John Calipari scheduled for in-home visits on Sept. 9, according to a source.

Gophers coach Richard Pitino’s in-home visit with Hurt will be a week from today on Sept. 10. Memphis coach Penny Hardaway’s home visit is planned for Sept. 12. North Carolina coach Roy Williams is also expected to have an in-home visit with Hurt next week.

http://www.startribune.com/matthew-...s-this-weekend-minnesota-next-week/492413931/

Go Gophers!!

I am sure it is quite a big deal to have all of these big time coaches come groveling to your home, trying to talk you into playing for them.
Hopefully, Matt will realize that these guys all came late in the game just to pickup the next big prospect, just like they do every year. They, and their fans, really don’t care who Matt is. If I were in his shoes I would remember who has been with me all along. I would want to spend one more year with my buddies and my brother. If all of these college coaches can find me playing in Rochester, the NBA scouts can sure as hell find me playing at the U in the B1G. Matt can be the one that shifts the attitude of the top in state recruits and make the U the destination school. That is a legacy that he will never create at any of the other schools. As for the excitement of moving away to a new area, there will be a lot of that when he is in the NBA. There will be plenty of new excitement living in the Cities and adjusting to B1G basketball on a final four potential team at the U and playing with your brother. Only a few kids in this state get a chance to create a legacy, become the Lindsay Whalen of men’s basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop posting this speculation - you have no knowledge to support this

Speculation on a college sports message board? Alert the media. Oh, and suck me.

For the record, I do not believe anyone in the Hurt family will receive any ILLEGAL benefits from KS or Adidias. However, there are legal benefits available that UM cannot match.

I am sure it is quite a big deal to have all of these big time coaches come groveling to your home, trying to talk you into playing for them.
Hopefully, Matt will realize that these guys all came late in the game just to pickup the next big prospect, just like they do every year. They, and their fans, really don’t care who Matt is. If I were in his shoes I would remember who has been with me all along. I would want to spend one more year with my buddies and my brother. If all of these college coaches can find me playing in Rochester, the NBA scouts can sure as hell find me playing at the U in the B1G. Matt can be the one that shifts the attitude of the top in state recruits and make the U the destination school. That is a legacy that he will never create at any of the other schools. As for the excitement of moving away to a new area, there will be a lot of that when he is in the NBA. There will be plenty of new excitement living in the Cities and adjusting to B1G basketball on a final four potential team at the U and playing with your brother. Only a few kids in this state get a chance to create a legacy, become the Lindsay Whalen of men’s basketball.

I think YOU should go talk to him! :)

Lindsay Whalen of men's basketball - I like it. I wonder about the dynamic of Pitino's visit being after those of the other coaches. Is there any meaning that Pitino's visit is last? What kind of presentation will Pitino have to make that will overshadow the big knockers who have visited before him? If Pitino still feels he has a puncher's chance, I would imagine he's preparting for this home visit like none other. A successful recruitment here would result in gopher bb popularity soaring even this year, and Pitino's status in the state taking a serious bump up.

As well, a commitment would lead to Matthew's high school games being seriously scrutinized and his being seen as something of a basketball saviour as he begins his college games. Is playing in this kind of environment appealing to Matthew?

Personally, I take Gophers BB way too seriously and so am going to assume this recruit goes elsewhere for college. Less painful if it doesn't go our way. Learned my lesson during the Geno Crandall debacle.

Oturo
Curry
Hurt
Coffey
Washington

True and landing Hurt would almost assuredly land us Nnaji as well and likely a really good grad tranfer wanting to win. I really do believe that coming here is the best decision for Hurt and I would even say that if I was a Kansas fan.

Perks for Hurt if he come here:
-Exposure: He would be a local hero with non-stop local media coverage as well as likely getting Trae Young treatment nationally.
-Chance to win: A team with Hurt would be made up of a nice mix of seasoned vets who know how to make the tourney and a mix of young highly talented upperclassmen who are hungry to win and show out for the hometown.
-He gets to play with his brother
-He gets to lead a team and be the best player on a team without the pressure to do everything since he has talent around him.

I really hope he sees all this because the Gophers are the best place for him and I am happy to debate anyone who disagrees.

True and landing Hurt would almost assuredly land us Nnaji as well and likely a really good grad tranfer wanting to win. I really do believe that coming here is the best decision for Hurt and I would even say that if I was a Kansas fan.

-Exposure: He would be a local hero with non-stop local media coverage as well as likely getting Trae Young treatment nationally.
-Chance to win: A team with Hurt would be made up of a nice mix of seasoned vets who know how to make the tourney and a mix of young highly talented upperclassmen who are hungry to win and show out for the hometown.
-He gets to lead a team and be the best player on a team without the pressure to do everything since he has talent around him.

I really hope he sees all this because the Gophers are the best place for him and I am happy to debate anyone who disagrees.

I like your thinking! and boy I sure hope you are right

but in your scenario what position are you expecting a grad transfer to come here and play?
PG-IW, Carr Willis
SG-Coffey, Gabe, Willis
SF-Hurt, Coffey, Hurt
PF-Zeke, Hurt, Curry, Omersa
C-Otoru, Curry, Zeke
I mean im not complaining....I just don't see how a grad transfer would look at this team and see a lot of playing time.....and I also don't see us losing a game with that lineup!!

Last edited:

I think the U would be a great choice for all your reasons and then some. Being a local hero is rarely a reason a kid picks the home state school. He has tremendous choices. If coaching is one of them then Duke is a no brainer over Pitino, prestige of school or program is also a no brainer. It will simply come down to what matters most to him and it is a one year stay. That almost never plays a role in a program trying to build in a sustainable way. The irrefutable proof is building a culture that defines what you stand for and winning year after year no matter your roster. Jay Wright gave a great talk on this at his clinic i attended 4 years ago. Play soundly, play defense and do it with high character kids. Would love to see Hurt here but it would be short and i will support him no matter where he goes. He has created on his own hard work the opportunity to have all these choices. Unless someone has spent a fair amount of time at KU or Duke you just can not imagine the atmosphere around the entire experience. Best coaches, great, truly great history, no Vikings or twins or WILD. Your not big man on campus. your team is big man everywhere. They sell playing for them, Final 4's , NBA proof. Gophs sell playing with brother, close to home, being the linchpin in a turn around of mediocrity.

1. Hurt knows the track record of last 5 years of Pitino.

2. He knows the talent (or lackthereof) of the current squad. He wants to play w high end guards. Jelly is not proven and Carr is an unknown besides a nice frosh season for a winless pitt team.

3. Land hurt had 0 correlation to landing nnaji. Why do they even want to play alongside each other??? Alot of times local guys want to play w other people and not the same guys on their way team.

4. The hurt family would not be getting any illegal money for following the Adidas pipeline. However D1 and his sisters AAU team possibly could get a nice, legal kickback from Adidas.

5. I'm surprised Matthew is waiting. The only reason is to see how the KS issues shake out. If badly, he goes to UK or Dookies. He ain't coming here.

I think the U would be a great choice for all your reasons and then some. Being a local hero is rarely a reason a kid picks the home state school. He has tremendous choices. If coaching is one of them then Duke is a no brainer over Pitino, prestige of school or program is also a no brainer. It will simply come down to what matters most to him and it is a one year stay. That almost never plays a role in a program trying to build in a sustainable way. The irrefutable proof is building a culture that defines what you stand for and winning year after year no matter your roster. Jay Wright gave a great talk on this at his clinic i attended 4 years ago. Play soundly, play defense and do it with high character kids. Would love to see Hurt here but it would be short and i will support him no matter where he goes. He has created on his own hard work the opportunity to have all these choices. Unless someone has spent a fair amount of time at KU or Duke you just can not imagine the atmosphere around the entire experience. Best coaches, great, truly great history, no Vikings or twins or WILD. Your not big man on campus. your team is big man everywhere. They sell playing for them, Final 4's , NBA proof. Gophs sell playing with brother, close to home, being the linchpin in a turn around of mediocrity.

100%. Hes a brand name guy in AAU circuits for the last 2 years. Hes considered the most skilled player of his class. He goes to KS or Duke, he will be playing with brand name guys and high end ball distributors and pro-like coaches. He said so himself he is making a business decision regarding college choice.

Point being: coming to MN goes against everything he has said he wants to do. Radio silence and non commitment til spring likely signals keeping the MN Homers off his back until it's time to leave for college. I dont vlame him one bit and I wouldn't trust Pitino one bit either. He has no equity to prove he will improve Hurts NBA stock. Self, K, and Cal all have that equity.

100%. Hes a brand name guy in AAU circuits for the last 2 years. Hes considered the most skilled player of his class. He goes to KS or Duke, he will be playing with brand name guys and high end ball distributors and pro-like coaches. He said so himself he is making a business decision regarding college choice.

Point being: coming to MN goes against everything he has said he wants to do. Radio silence and non commitment til spring likely signals keeping the MN Homers off his back until it's time to leave for college. I dont vlame him one bit and I wouldn't trust Pitino one bit either. He has no equity to prove he will improve Hurts NBA stock. Self, K, and Cal all have that equity.

I seriously do not understand how you can call yourself a fan of the U! The U is an excellent option, but you have absolutely no faith in the program, but are full of blind faith for the other schools. Pitino has done an excellent job of developing players. He is finally now getting the quality of players to compete. The NBA will find Hurt no matter where he plays basketball, there is absolutely no need to just be another faceless player on the roster of the rent-a-player schools. It is ridiculous to think that Hurt would be afraid of the hometown pressure, don't you think he will be under pressure wherever he plays and under pressure when he gets paid millions in the NBA?

I seriously do not understand how you can call yourself a fan of the U! The U is an excellent option, but you have absolutely no faith in the program, but are full of blind faith for the other schools. Pitino has done an excellent job of developing players. He is finally now getting the quality of players to compete. The NBA will find Hurt no matter where he plays basketball, there is absolutely no need to just be another faceless player on the roster of the rent-a-player schools. It is ridiculous to think that Hurt would be afraid of the hometown pressure, don't you think he will be under pressure wherever he plays and under pressure when he gets paid millions in the NBA?

I'll get flamed for this, but you can still be a fan of the Gophers and be realistic. This program has to do better before the best in state recruits might actually seriously consider us. An NCAA appearance every couple of years wont cut it. We (the Gophers) need to show consistent winning for a bit. They don't even have to be really good (like top 25)...but just get to the tournament a few years in a row and we suddenly look like a much better option.

I'd love, love, LOVE if Hurt came here but I never got my hopes up with the kid. Makes it easier when he doesn't come here. :(

I'll get flamed for this, but you can still be a fan of the Gophers and be realistic. This program has to do better before the best in state recruits might actually seriously consider us. An NCAA appearance every couple of years wont cut it. We (the Gophers) need to show consistent winning for a bit. They don't even have to be really good (like top 25)...but just get to the tournament a few years in a row and we suddenly look like a much better option.

I'd love, love, LOVE if Hurt came here but I never got my hopes up with the kid. Makes it easier when he doesn't come here. :(

Former: this is spot on.

I'm just being realistic to why Matthew isnt coming here. If you put the pieces together, its obvious hes leaving mn for college. If by some miracle he stays, manna from heaven.

However, I am a die hard gopher fan. My fandom is beyond obsessive. I know every recruit, player, and could name every football and basketball player from last 15 years. This doesn't mean I am a homer or believe unrealistic things to be true. I think Pitino is in hot water this year and 2019 recruits aren't touching him w a 10 foot pole because of that.

The way things are shaping up, we get 0 2019s due to this prove it or be fired atmosphere surrounding the basketball team. Hurt, wahl, nnaji, and Terry saw it

I'm just being realistic to why Matthew isnt coming here. If you put the pieces together, its obvious hes leaving mn for college. If by some miracle he stays, manna from heaven.

However, I am a die hard gopher fan. My fandom is beyond obsessive. I know every recruit, player, and could name every football and basketball player from last 15 years. This doesn't mean I am a homer or believe unrealistic things to be true. I think Pitino is in hot water this year and 2019 recruits aren't touching him w a 10 foot pole because of that.

The way things are shaping up, we get 0 2019s due to this prove it or be fired atmosphere surrounding the basketball team. Hurt, wahl, nnaji, and Terry saw it

Wow! That's pretty negative! Commitment day is in November? The Gophers could come out of the gates and win all their games up to December. This isn't that much of a stretch, if everyone coming off injury is 100%. Then, we might get a few recruits to notice. Or it could be too late. I'm wondering if Hurt and Nnaji might wait till spring to commit. They both seem to like the attention. Plus, there are others waiting for spring we can impress with a good season. I think we will do alright in recruiting, but it is looking bad so far.

An NCAA appearance every couple of years would be like manna from heaven at this point. In the 19 years since Haskins was fired, we've gone 5 times and won one game.

Don't get too concerned. Alchemy is an outlier in the GH who gets wound up if you don't take his position on issues. Most people aren't batsh!t crazy.

Wow! That's pretty negative! Commitment day is in November? The Gophers could come out of the gates and win all their games up to December. This isn't that much of a stretch, if everyone coming off injury is 100%. Then, we might get a few recruits to notice. Or it could be too late. I'm wondering if Hurt and Nnaji might wait till spring to commit. They both seem to like the attention. Plus, there are others waiting for spring we can impress with a good season. I think we will do alright in recruiting, but it is looking bad so far.

It's not really negative to say we strike out on instate, high end 2019s. We will only play 1 game before signing day. That means nnaji, Jones, etc all will sign before "seeing" what we have.

We definitely could come out hot, win games this year, make the NCAA tournament, make the S16. But chances of that happening are not very good especially considering curry and oturo (both whom we need to play center) are not medically cleared plus the unknowns of jelly running the show dont point to that trajectory.

Could it happen? Of course! I woke love it. Right the ship, prevent the issues that occur from coaching turnover and go hard after the 2020s like Garcia and Carlson.

On the surface, the NCAA appearances do look bad, but you have to take it in context. If players never believed in potential, teams would never recover from a string of bad seasons. These players know who is on the team, they know the coaches, I would assume they would believe that their contribution on the team would help it win. Pitino isn’t in hot water, he will be held accountable if they under perform, but the AD still has confidence in him and does not have one foot out the door. There are too many people who automatically assume the grass is greener on the other side of any fence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't get too concerned. Alchemy is an outlier in the GH who gets wound up if you don't take his position on issues. Most people aren't batsh!t crazy.

Coming from you, I consider this a compliment. I sure want to be an outlier in your world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow...I love all the speculation.

my 2 cents It doesn't matter where he plays college ball, he will be a top 10 draft pick in 2020. so why not play at MN.

just saying

per STrib:

Plans for Matthew Hurt's official campus visits are still in the works. Starting this weekend, though, college coaches will be lining up to make their pitches to the five-star senior forward in his living room.

To be the first ones in the door when the contact period officially begins Sunday could be very impactful.

The 6-foot-9 forward at Rochester John Marshall has Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, Kansas coach Bill Self and Kentucky coach John Calipari scheduled for in-home visits Sunday, according to a source.

Gophers coach Richard Pitino's in-home visit with Hurt will be a day later on Monday.

Memphis coach Penny Hardaway's home visit is planned for Sept. 12.

North Carolina coach Roy Williams is also expected to have an in-home visit with Hurt next week.

http://www.startribune.com/coaches-come-calling-on-star-recruit-hurt/492452811/

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

Plans for Matthew Hurt's official campus visits are still in the works. Starting this weekend, though, college coaches will be lining up to make their pitches to the five-star senior forward in his living room.

To be the first ones in the door when the contact period officially begins Sunday could be very impactful.

The 6-foot-9 forward at Rochester John Marshall has Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, Kansas coach Bill Self and Kentucky coach John Calipari scheduled for in-home visits Sunday, according to a source.

Gophers coach Richard Pitino's in-home visit with Hurt will be a day later on Monday.

North Carolina coach Roy Williams is also expected to have an in-home visit with Hurt next week.

Go Gophers!!

Which schools are Adidas schools?

per STrib:

Go Gophers!!
Alright, who on Gopher Hole is going to plant the microphone? Or a mosquito drone on the window screen? Infrared cameras to pick up body language in silhouette? A mouse with a Go Pro? Wire tap his brother?

Top Bottom