All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

That is all part of the inferiority complex we have in the state. It is considered successful and big news if outside schools give you attention, but not if the U is giving you attention. That leads to the young players and fans all to all discount the value of going to the U. I know that there are schools with stronger reputations than the U, but we will never keep kids home until we start giving respect to the home school. PJ gets bashed all the time for his positivity, but you can never be the best if you do not think you are worth to be the best. It is like the local fanbase doesn't think we deserve to be the best.

There are many great tings about going here but kids now days get better offers if they are good enough. Very difficult for to get kids away from the more successful coaches. PJ is so rarely going to take a player away from Saban or the like and Pitino will rarely take a player away from K. We have really good players that chose to play here.

There are many great tings about going here but kids now days get better offers if they are good enough. Very difficult for to get kids away from the more successful coaches. PJ is so rarely going to take a player away from Saban or the like and Pitino will rarely take a player away from K. We have really good players that chose to play here.

However, things change.

Neither are happening. Coffey isn't projected to be in the 2nd round on any draft boards. Barring he absolutely blows up in the BTT or NCAAs, he will be back for his senior year. And if he does go, he's getting bad info from somewhere. Get a decent big man in recruiting that can pair with Oturu, and you have a solid group coming back next season.

The Gophers coaches have gone to see Hurt maybe once since the basketball season started. They stopped using their resources on him because they know he's not staying home. It's also why Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC and Memphis are coming to Rochester at every available chance. It's unfortunate because he does want to play one college season with his brother, but it won't be here.

Does anybody know if this is correct? Even if you feel you have no chance, shouldn't you at least try? The old saying if you think you can't you are right.

Does anybody know if this is correct? Even if you feel you have no chance, shouldn't you at least try? The old saying if you think you can't you are right.

I've been to three games this year, three last year, four the year before and one the year before that and I have not seen Pitino at any of those games (I had a girlfriend in Rochester off and on for almost two years). I have seen Coach K, Roy Williams and Self at his games before (Gard once also, but he was watching Reuvers and Wahl I'm sure). I'm sure there have been other coaches watching him when I've been there also, and it's possible I might have missed Pitino, but I've kind of thought it was strange I haven't seen him. My sample size is small, so that doesn't mean Pitino hasn't been to Rochester other times. He could have been at the section final game when Hurt was a 9th grader and his brother was a senior. That was the game I saw Gard there, and Pitino certainly could have been there that night too as it was very busy.

Ask the fans from Rochester...I'm sure they could tell you how many times Pitino has been down to watch him. I'll be down there tomorrow, and they will be playing in the smaller auditorium which should be a great venue. His sister is a 9th grader and has already received a offer from Kansas I've heard. I would have thought it would have been cool for him to be able to play with his brother with the Gophers for a year so his family would have an easier time watching him play. He would also be able to watch his sister play that way.

Yay, Gophers!! Excellent recruiting job!! [emoji50][emoji50][emoji50][emoji1786][emoji1786][emoji1786]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've been to three games this year, three last year, four the year before and one the year before that and I have not seen Pitino at any of those games (I had a girlfriend in Rochester off and on for almost two years). I have seen Coach K, Roy Williams and Self at his games before (Gard once also, but he was watching Reuvers and Wahl I'm sure). I'm sure there have been other coaches watching him when I've been there also, and it's possible I might have missed Pitino, but I've kind of thought it was strange I haven't seen him. My sample size is small, so that doesn't mean Pitino hasn't been to Rochester other times. He could have been at the section final game when Hurt was a 9th grader and his brother was a senior. That was the game I saw Gard there, and Pitino certainly could have been there that night too as it was very busy.

Ask the fans from Rochester...I'm sure they could tell you how many times Pitino has been down to watch him. I'll be down there tomorrow, and they will be playing in the smaller auditorium which should be a great venue. His sister is a 9th grader and has already received a offer from Kansas I've heard. I would have thought it would have been cool for him to be able to play with his brother with the Gophers for a year so his family would have an easier time watching him play. He would also be able to watch his sister play that way.

The 2 times you saw Northfield play JM this year, Coach Pitino was busy coaching the Gophers thus was not able to recruit young Hurt when Ol Roy and Coach K were in Rice and Olmsted Ctys respectively.

Dec 11 @ NHS - Gophers hosted N Florida
Feb 28 @ JM - Gophers at Northwestern

The 2 times you saw Northfield play JM this year, Coach Pitino was busy coaching the Gophers thus was not able to recruit young Hurt when Ol Roy and Coach K were in Rice and Olmsted Ctys respectively.

Failure to bi-locate has to be a flaw in the coach.

Heck, I've watched Hurt three times and two of those times Fran Mccaffery was there watching. Ben Johnson was at least one summer game also.

Am sure at some point Pitino realized or was told Hurt would be going blue blood. Best at that point for Coach to spend his time recruiting those who might be interested, not someone who has 0% interest in us.

You should be happy RP is moving on and concentrating on players you can get! I wish Gard had done that with Joey Hauser.

They didn't play Norrhfield on 2/28. They played them Valentine's Day. I also said it was a small sample size.

The kid scores over 37 points a night being double and triple teamed everytime he touches the ball. Tonight New Prague plays a Box and One on him with guys who are big and athletic. He still scores 44 points. As uninterested as Hurt looked on Valentine's Day (February 14), tonight he was special. He sees the floor, he's so athletic, he makes it so easy for his teammates. His supporting cast is way better than I thought they were. They are not super deep though. I haven't seen LN play this year, but I've heard they are big and deep. I used to watch a lot of games in the old Lake Conference, and then in the South Suburban once they kicked Eden Prairie out, and it just seemed like a different intensity level. But tonight, JM looked really good. If JM can stay out of foul trouble, I think they have a shot. I don't think I would have said that three or four weeks ago. One last thing, it's way more fun watching a game at the old Civic Auditorium rather than the newer Arena. It feels like you are right on top of the action rather than so far away.

Pitino has recruited Hurt more than anyone, he has done all he can.

Correct, anyone who says otherwise is insane and looking for the wrong excuse why he didn't come here. He wants to go to a program he feels can put him in the NBA. The U doesn't have that rep currently. Kid has been blue blood bound for awhile. Would've been stupid to waste any more resources for the U.

They didn't play Norrhfield on 2/28. They played them Valentine's Day. I also said it was a small sample size.

The kid scores over 37 points a night being double and triple teamed everytime he touches the ball. Tonight New Prague plays a Box and One on him with guys who are big and athletic. He still scores 44 points. As uninterested as Hurt looked on Valentine's Day (February 14), tonight he was special. He sees the floor, he's so athletic, he makes it so easy for his teammates. His supporting cast is way better than I thought they were. They are not super deep though. I haven't seen LN play this year, but I've heard they are big and deep. I used to watch a lot of games in the old Lake Conference, and then in the South Suburban once they kicked Eden Prairie out, and it just seemed like a different intensity level. But tonight, JM looked really good. If JM can stay out of foul trouble, I think they have a shot. I don't think I would have said that three or four weeks ago. One last thing, it's way more fun watching a game at the old Civic Auditorium rather than the newer Arena. It feels like you are right on top of the action rather than so far away.

You're right about the Nfld/JM game, my bad. I mixed up all the make-up games/Roch schools.

Speaking of which the 1AAA & 1AAAA Sectional Final games have been moved up a day to Thursday night at the Roch Arena.

Correct, anyone who says otherwise is insane and looking for the wrong excuse why he didn't come here. He wants to go to a program he feels can put him in the NBA. The U doesn't have that rep currently. Kid has been blue blood bound for awhile. Would've been stupid to waste any more resources for the U.

If all this is so, I'm totally on board with this strategy. I've never felt he's had any interest in going to the U, so why throw a bunch of resources at him.

If all this is so, I'm totally on board with this strategy. I've never felt he's had any interest in going to the U, so why throw a bunch of resources at him.

At this point, RP did what he could. If that means showing up for a game, or sending a text or two, thats fine. But anything more is too much. You dont want to pull yourself out of a million ticket raffle because you only have one ticket. All you need is chance. But as far as making Hurt a priority, move on.

JM laid a rotten egg tonight. Lakeville wins 84-50, and could have put up 90+ if they had felt like it. They put Hurt completely out of business when it mattered. He ended with a very quiet 30 points.

JM laid a rotten egg tonight. Lakeville wins 84-50, and could have put up 90+ if they had felt like it. They put Hurt completely out of business when it mattered. He ended with a very quiet 30 points.

Scored 84, and could have put up 90. C'mon man.

WHY WASN'T PITINO AT HIS GAME TONIGHT??!!!! EVERYONE ELSE PUTS IN THE EFFORT TO LAND THIS KID EXCEPT OUR GUY! WTF! AAARAGHHHHH!!!!

Lol ya mean if they wanted too they could've gotten 6 more points!

WHY WASN'T PITINO AT HIS GAME TONIGHT??!!!! EVERYONE ELSE PUTS IN THE EFFORT TO LAND THIS KID EXCEPT OUR GUY! WTF! AAARAGHHHHH!!!!

I assume this is sarcasm.

It is hard to attend a MN High School game when you are coaching your own team in Chicago.

Wow...had heard people talk about how bad that jm team is and wow.......90...they coulve easily hit triple digits....the coaching disparity was awful....the talent comparision was maybe even more awful....hurt is stupid good but his team is so bad that it just takes him out of the game...his euro step is nba elite...team kept turning the ball over agaist full court pressure so he switched to point and broke the press at will and then his team would panic and turn the ball over(this literally happened about 15 times) they then tried switching back so he could catch the pass after they broke the press, but they couldn't get the ball past half court...still though he needs to work on handles a bit, but i think that had more to do with frustration and lakeville defense..missed his only 2 threes he took, but gets to the line at will and seems to be a good shooter...plays super passive on defense will need to work on that....definitely needs to add weight but plays physical for his size so don't think that will be an issue...Overall though he would be the best player on this team from day 1

Likely walked off a court in Minnesota as an amateur for the last time tonight.

Top Bottom