All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Q&A: Matthew Hurt Talks Sophomore Season, Recruiting, Oturu's Commitment to Minnesota
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/771452?referrer_id=331171

Matthew Hurt, a 6-foot-9, 205-pound sophomore forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, is considered Minnesota's top player in the Class of 2019.

Hurt comes from a basketball family. His older brother, Michael, is a current freshman at Minnesota and was ranked as the number two senior in the state last season.

Matthew Hurt is averaging 29.4 points, 10.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 2.8 blocks and 2.1 steals per game this season as the Rockets are 25-3 and will face Lakeville North in the Section 1AAAA championship game for the fifth straight time. They have won 22 straight games after starting the season 3-3. He is shooting 62.6% from the field, 79.7% from the free throw line and 47.3% from three-point range. Hurt scored in double figures every game with a season-high 47 points versus Rochester Century. He has had two other 40 plus point game and 13 more games of 30 or more points. Hurt has scored less than 20 points just twice this season.

Hurt broke his brother's all-time Rocket scoring record against Austin when he scored 40 points. His brother and family were in attendance.

Hurt averaged 18.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 3.1 blocks and 1.7 steals per game as a freshman as the Rockets finished 24-5, losing to Lakeville North 60-58 in the Section 1AAAA championship game for the fourth straight year. He shot 57.5% from the field, 78.2% from the free throw line and 41.4% from three-point range. Hurt scored in double figures in all but two games with a season-high 33 points versus Shakopee.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Hurt to learn about the latest on his sophomore season and recruitment.

Gopher Hole: How about your own play? You recently had 37 points, 13 rebounds, six blocks and three assists and had a couple of 40-point games down the stretch. How pleased are you with how well you have been playing?

Matthew Hurt: I am really pleased. Every day could be my last. This could be my last game. I just have to go balls to the wall and play with all my heart, with energy and hopefully, we get the win and we did.

Gopher Hole: You play Lakeville North next. You guys have played them the last four years and unfortunately, came up short. What is it going to take to beat them this year?

Matthew Hurt: It is going to be tough. They are a really talented team. Well-coached. Good players. We have got to do like we did tonight. Lock in on defense. Move and share the ball. I think that we can be really successful.

Gopher Hole: Obviously you know Nathan (Reuvers) from AAU (they were teammates on D1 Minnesota) and you will probably going to be matched up with him. What are you going to have to do to slow him down?

Matthew Hurt: Sticking with him. Making him take some tough shots. He is a great player. Personally, just try to get him off his game. Make him take tough shots and if they go in, they go in. He is just a great player, but just try to make it as tough as we can on him.

Gopher Hole: You broke the all-time scoring record the other week and your brother was at the game. How much did that make it even more special having him here for that game?

Matthew Hurt: It was really special to our family, especially. He is a great player of his own, just the record. It was just an honor to beat his record and see what he did in four years. I just honored right now.

Gopher Hole: Did you give him a little bit of a hard time because you still have two years left and are going to put that record way out of reach?

Matthew Hurt: We don't really talk about it. He is doing his thing at the "U" and I am still down here, just playing for my high school. We don't really talk about it.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to many games at Williams Arena this year, because I know that you are busy with your own schedule?

Matthew Hurt: I went to most of the non-conference before our season started. I came to some of the Big Ten games.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment? Any new offers?

Matthew Hurt: No. I have not.

Gopher Hole: Any plans to visit any schools after the season is over?

Matthew Hurt: I don't think so because I leave the week after state to go to Arkansas with my D1 team, so I really don't have time, so I get my rest and get ready for AAU.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, the Gophers had a disappointing season last year, 8-23, but were much improved this season 23-8. Do you look at them a little differently now in terms of recruitment with them having so much success this year?

Matthew Hurt: Oh, yes. Most definitely, Big Tern Coach of the Year. He has done a great job with that team. Going from eight win to 24 right now or something like that. Just locking in every week. Prepping them for whoever they play and I think that they will be ready for the NCAA Tournament next week.

Gopher Hole: They got a commitment from a junior, who I don't know if you see that much, Daniel Oturu from Cretin-Derham Hall. Does that get you more excited about being a Minnesota going to Minnesota. I know that they have Amir (Coffey) and your brother who were Minnesota kids who went to Minnesota. Does that get you more excited following in the footsteps of other Minnesota kids?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. Most definitely. Daniel is a great player/ He picked what was the right place for him and that is a great choice for him. He is like Top 60 in the country. I think that it is good for players around the state to go to the Gophers and hope that they can help other recruits to commit to the Gophers, too.

Matthew Hurt will be a better player in college than he is in high school. He's not going to average 30+ points in college but he is going to be utilized much more effectively. He is a program changer for somebody. Hopefully, it's the Gophers.

Definitely hope he stays home

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Matthew Hurt will be a better player in college than he is in high school. He's not going to average 30+ points in college but he is going to be utilized much more effectively. He is a program changer for somebody. Hopefully, it's the Gophers.

Agreed. Saw a couple games and JM had a bunch of selfish players who lacked discipline; really hard for Hurt to show his talent on that team. They seemed really poorly coached.

Would be incredible to get him to stay home. It would certainly change the way the program is viewed nationally. Would be awesome if Coffey-Oturu-Hurt could make a couple runs together. New facilities, and some local studs.

Would be incredible to get him to stay home. It would certainly change the way the program is viewed nationally. Would be awesome if Coffey-Oturu-Hurt could make a couple runs together. New facilities, and some local studs.

Coffey would be a senior when Matthew Hurt is a freshman, so unless he suffers a severe injury, they'd be together one year at most, and possibly not at all if Coffey leaves early.

per Yahoo:

Hurt talked about the schools that are at the forefront of his recruitment.

Kansas: “It’s nice. Everything is really nice there. Their dorms, the practice facility. I liked it there a lot.”

Wisconsin: “It’s really nice too. The atmosphere is crazy. I went there for a football game and it was nice. I’ve built a good relationship with their coaches.”

Minnesota: “Coach [Richard] Pitino has really turned them around. They played well all year and they recruiting well. Their recruiting class should make them good again next year too.”

North Carolina: “They are great. They have a great coaching staff and great players. They always find a way to be in the Sweet 16, Elite Eight or Final Four.”

Hurt has long been a priority for Pitino at Minnesota. Keeping him home to be a Golden Gopher will take an incredible amount of work, but it would be a major coup if Pitino and his staff can pull it off. Kansas and North Carolina won’t make it easy for them, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if other blue bloods get more serious in the upcoming months. Wisconsin has also done a good job with Hurt so far and have done a very good recruiting in Minnesota lately.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kansas-north-carolina-pursuing-hurt-204556012.html

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Haha that is awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

From NBA Draft.net on the Underclassmen All American Game

Matthew Hurt 6’9 200 PF - 2019

Hurt showed good face up ability and skill at his height. He can put the ball on the floor and get where he wants. He displayed his court vision distributing in a high-low game when paired up with elite big men Charles Bassey and Isaiah Todd. Hurt played well defensively and showed versatility on both ends of the floor. He ended up with nine points, five rebounds, and three assists.

Here's the link:
http://www.nbadraft.net/underclassman-all-american-game

Optional("Mike Krzyzewski is expected to watch five-star 2019 Matthew Hurt (No. 7) tomorrow, per his coach. Notre Dame also expected. @adidasD1MN") -- Optional("@jeffborzello")
via http://cbssportsapp.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he plans to play more than one year, there's a very good chance Coach K won't be there when he finishes.

Per Michaels instagram (I started following the players last year when they started the alumni stuff, not a creeper) Matthew is in the Barn putting up shots with his big bro.

Not a creeper either but just ran across both brothers watching girls AAU in Bloomington (sister?). Mathew still has a cast on his left hand. I'm not sure if he is still growing but he is a couple inches taller than his brother now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per the Rochester Post Bulletin:

Pitino came to Rochester able to speak about a winning program this year, but it's a program without any in-state talent from the 2017 class. Although Pitino is happy with the two out-of-state recruits in the class, he said getting in-state talent is the key to success in the Big Ten.

"Every single program, Ohio State, Indiana — that has been what has catapulted them to the top every single year," Pitino said.

Getting a player like Matthew Hurt, a Rochester John Marshall forward who will be a junior this fall, could play a vital role in helping the Gophers take the next step. In addition to the Gophers, Hurt's offer list includes Kansas and North Carolina, among others.

It won't hurt to have Michael Hurt, Hurt's older brother, on the team. Hurt also has Hopkins grad Amir Coffey, a member of the Big Ten All-Freshman Team, to look to as a local product succeeding at Minnesota.

"Kids recruit each other a lot more than we think they do," Pitino said. "When local kids see other local kids have success, and they see that barn packed, and they see their families in the building, that is as big of a sell as anything."

Pitino certainly has an easier sell after the Gophers made the NCAA tournament, but he knows it takes more than winning games to secure in-state players.

"You can't hide from local talent," Pitino said. "If you aren't doing well and you aren't running things the right way, you aren't going to get them."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_01e53e59-d2e7-5384-8e77-9f8ac0e6b622.html

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per a "roundtable" on Rivals:

3. Who is a 2019 prospect you're most excited to see in July?

BOSSI: There have been a lot of top-end 2019 prospects playing up this spring so I've had the chance to see most of the big names. However, due to injury, I've not been able to see the No. 6 player in the class, Matthew Hurt. So, I'll have to go with him. I'm curious to see if he still projects as a highly skilled faceup four man or if he's able to play full-time minutes on the wing or as more of a combo forward. Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Louisville and others are heavily involved.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...dtable-akot-s-decision-bowen-predictions-more

Go Gophers!!

According to Twitter, John Marshall has hired a new head coach.

Many posters on here were critical of the offense and defense run by JM. New coach inherits an amazing talent, not sure if he was part of the previous staff.

According to Twitter, John Marshall has hired a new head coach.

Many posters on here were critical of the offense and defense run by JM. New coach inherits an amazing talent, not sure if he was part of the previous staff.

New coach is from a Catholic school across town.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom