All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Bells or Pom-poms?

It could have been Pom-poms. I was 10 years old and was sitting in the upper deck with my brother and some of his friends. I just remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever. Funny the things you remember when growing up.

BTW, next Tuesday Hurt plays against Austin at JM. Even though Austin has lost some players the last few years, they should still be pretty athletic and their coach likes to press full court. It should be a fun game to watch, plus they have a cool old gym and you can see their athletic hardware from the 70's and 80's.

Matthew I believe was at the Miami game last year. So he has seen what the Barn can be like. Different atmosphere for the conference games vs non-conference unless its a big name. Until we have a consistent winner we won't have the crowds like Kansas, Puke, etc but the potential is there. The Barn was the "ticket' to get during the Clem years and it can be again. I have been pleasantly surprised for the crowds the last couple games as I thought it would be much less. Matthew being a local kid committing here would get the fans interested again. The real question is going to be if he wants to play with his brother or not and if he wants his family to see him in person or not. I personally like the make up of the team next year and I am already positive about it. I agree with a lot of what Builtbadgers says about Pitino and his coaching. That being said Pitino got hired at this job 4-5 years too early and was learning on the job, had to take some chances on players, etc. If you are a casual fan then last year just looked like a terrible season(it was certainly frustrating) but the team never stopped competing although you had people playing that wouldn't normally and people playing out of position. I think Pitino can coach so hopefully we start seeing the results of that going forward. Not only on the court but finishing off this recruiting class.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Rochester John Marshall’s 6-9 Matthew Hurt, who’s expected to be a one-and-done in college (Memphis is considered the favorite), on Friday set a school scoring record with 55 points (five three-point field goals), 11 rebounds, seven assists and four blocked shots in an 85-70 victory over Winona. He was to visit North Carolina on Saturday.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/12/...d-mike-shanahan-get-best-out-of-kirk-cousins/

Go Gophers!!

Dick Vitale mentioned that Matthew Hurt was at the UNC v Gonzaga game. Mentioned Hurt was checking out "a number of great schools. Kansas, Kentucky, Carolina."
I have always thought Dick Vitale was an overrated, windbag. That comment just helps cement my thoughts about him.
Come on Matthew, don't go to "Cheater University."

Last edited:

I'm from Rochester. I have met the family but don't know them well. My neighbor knows them due to his son played basketball with him. He is NOT going to Minnesota. It's down to Memphis and Kansas from what I've been told and A BIG lean to Memphis right now

I'm from Rochester. I have met the family but don't know them well. My neighbor knows them due to his son played basketball with him. He is NOT going to Minnesota. It's down to Memphis and Kansas from what I've been told and A BIG lean to Memphis right now

If that’s the case. Delete the thread, don’t much care what his plans are if he not a Gopher. Go Gophers!

Memphis I believe has two other 5-star and a 4-star recruit signed including the number one player in the class. They have two freshmen guards playing a lot right now and their incoming class is two centers and a small forward. Adding Hurt would be a big get for Penny Hardaway, Sam Mitchell and Mike Miller.

Memphis I believe has two other 5-star and a 4-star recruit signed including the number one player in the class. They have two freshmen guards playing a lot right now and their incoming class is two centers and a small forward. Adding Hurt would be a big get for Penny Hardaway, Sam Mitchell and Mike Miller.

All this angst and he goes to friggin memphis..........LOL

Thanks for the update, semenfan.

No offense, but this doesn't mean anything. If someone who knows Matt personally gives their opinion about where he will or won't be playing in college, that doesn't mean it is coming from Matt or anyone in his family. There's a good chance that his friends don't know where he is going to play and Matt himself might not know either.

Like I said, I don't know the family that well, met them couple times. I'm going by what I was told by somebody that DOES know them well.

Like I said, I don't know the family that well, met them couple times. I'm going by what I was told by somebody that DOES know them well.

Do you think that every person who knows Matt knows where he is or isn't going to play? They're probably just guessing like the rest of us.

Well, if he's heading for Memphis, he needs to work on his acting skills.

Not impressed that Penny teaches these kids to play like that, and I'm not impressed by his in-game or post-game demeanor.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not impressed that Penny teaches these kids to play like that, and I'm not impressed by his in-game or post-game demeanor.

Wow that is really bad. They need to institute stronger flopping penalties.

Penny is the current hot coach, he is a flash in the pan and will fade away quickly. He may make a splash with getting som talented players, but that will stop if he can't coach.

There should be suspensions for that. It is cheating, plain and simple.

There should be suspensions for that. It is cheating, plain and simple.

It’s deception. Not cheating. Deceiving your opponents or the refs are a huge part of the game. They didn’t do anything malicious or dangerous. It sucks as a fan but more and more teams will do it until its refereed better. I don’t advocate this but it doesn’t deserve suspensions unless every time a guy sells a foul call, you expect a suspension? If Murphy acts as if he gets fouled on a layup attempt and doesn’t, should he be suspended?

Oh yeah, Matthew Hurt thread. I bet he doesn’t care even an iota about this.

Big school JM vs. Small school Lake City tomorrow for one of the 4 bracket championship games at the Rochester Rotary Tournament.

My money is on Lake City, good guard play and can rain the 3 ball. Wonder how many points Hurt will have?

Your thoughts?

I don't know how many he'll have (he should be able to shoot over them outside and post-up inside) but he needs 4 points for 3,000 and 18 to pass Jake Sullivan (Tartan) for most career points by a Class 3A or 4A (old class AA) basketball player in MN history.

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports/high_school/basketball/boys-basketball-john-marshall-woodbury/article_684a051c-0a46-11e9-b128-10604b9f6eda.html

This was just bad basketball...ugly. Hurt never posts up, never. Forced a couple shots that were complete frowns. Plays no defense unless by the rare occasion he's near enough to the paint to swat somebody's shot.

Awesome talent! Nice looking shot. Excellent ball handler. He has a new 6'9" teammate...there is no high low, no double post, no posting up by anybody from JM versus a team of 6 footers.

He's potentially really good but all things you'd like to see him do to utilize all his talent certainly were not on display Thursday night. I'm not blaming Matthew or knocking him, but he needs some direction. All the talent in the world
and if he was 6'4 you may not have even noticed him last night.

After beating Lake City on Friday night, JM is now 4 and 4 on the season with a talented 6'9 Meister and Hurt leading them.

Last edited:

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

It will be interesting to see if the Rochester John Marshall basketball team can be a surprise entry in the state tournament and showcase its senior front court superstar Matthew Hurt. The Rockets haven’t qualified for the tourney during the Hurt era so most hoops fans have never seen the five-star recruit who ranks among the best basketball preps ever to play in Minnesota.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

It will be interesting to see if the Rochester John Marshall basketball team can be a surprise entry in the state tournament and showcase its senior front court superstar Matthew Hurt. The Rockets haven’t qualified for the tourney during the Hurt era so most hoops fans have never seen the five-star recruit who ranks among the best basketball preps ever to play in Minnesota.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!
I don’t think that will happen unfortunately. Not enough fire power to compete with the big city schools.

Go Gophers!

So if he can't get his team to the state, why does everyone think we could compete with the best colleges in the nation if we got him? This just floors me that that much talent can't get them there.

Top Bottom