All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Watch and listen, no room for a 4th player when blubbering over the Big 3.

Tre has actually been getting a ton of love from Bilas, Seth Greenburg and Jay Williams.

Jay Williams was actually on an ESPN talk show this morning talking about how Tre is the x-factor and Bilas last night on Sportscenter was talking about how the key to beating Duke is getting Tre in foul trouble.

Right now people are saying Kansas, then Memphis and then MN in a distant 3rd

Memphis has two high level front court players committed already (three front court guys total) and they are favorites to land Trendon Watford who’s a 5* combo forward similar to Hurt. With Matthew putting off his decision til’ the Spring, Watford probably commits before him and you would imagine Memphis would look to pair a guard with all those front court pieces.

Kansas is the front runner but as this FBI situation continues to unfold more is coming out about Self. Brian Bowen has come out in the past few days and said Self was aware of a payment given to the guardian of Silvio De Sousa. So I pose the question again, what top prospect is going to Kansas with the uncertainty surrounding that program?

Memphis has two high level front court players committed already (three front court guys total) and they are favorites to land Trendon Watford who’s a 5* combo forward similar to Hurt. With Matthew putting off his decision til’ the Spring, Watford probably commits before him and you would imagine Memphis would look to pair a guard with all those front court pieces.

Kansas is the front runner but as this FBI situation continues to unfold more is coming out about Self. Brian Bowen has come out in the past few days and said Self was aware of a payment given to the guardian of Silvio De Sousa. So I pose the question again, what top prospect is going to Kansas with the uncertainty surrounding that program?

God I hope you are right. Sure could use something positive happening for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing we really control, is winning games. I have to think he'd be a lot more likely to stay home if the Gophs make the dance, win a couple games & return a strong team next year.

God I hope you are right. Sure could use something positive happening for once.

I should say that I have no inside info but try to connect the dots and share. I’m still as cautiously optimistic as anyone on here but it’s hard not to look at it and see things falling into place a bit. As others have said, as long as we keep winning that can only help. Fingers crossed.

per Shooter:

Memphis, which is heavily recruiting 6-9 Matthew Hurt of Rochester John Marshall, last week received a commitment from the nation’s top-ranked recruit, 7-1, 235-pound James Wiseman from East High in Tennessee.

Memphis is coached by Penny Hardaway, who replaced fired ex-Gophers coach Tubby Smith, and is assisted by ex-Timberwolves coach Sam Mitchell, who was among Hurt’s instructors at the Adidas Nations training camp in Miami in 2016.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/...gi-wilf-willing-to-stick-to-the-same-program/

Go Gophers!!

Memphis is coached by Penny Hardaway, who replaced fired ex-Gophers coach Tubby Smith, and is assisted by ex-Timberwolves coach Sam Mitchell, who was among Hurt’s instructors at the Adidas Nations training camp in Miami in 2016.

I always though coaches who are recruiting players shouldn’t be able to give actual instruction at any of these camps. I get that he likely wasn’t a coach when this happened but this statement still stands with regard to national teams as well.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Really hope he saves his last one for us. Maybe he's waiting to see how we do before scheduling it.

I'd be surprised if he scheduled an official visit here. The biggest perk of doing an official is that you get it paid for. Being that he is on campus a lot, drives here to watch his brother, etc. I doubt they feel the need to take an official and get reimbursed for the 90 miles of driving.

He can have the same experience on an unofficial here.

I'd be surprised if he scheduled an official visit here. The biggest perk of doing an official is that you get it paid for. Being that he is on campus a lot, drives here to watch his brother, etc. I doubt they feel the need to take an official and get reimbursed for the 90 miles of driving.

He can't have the same experience - at least not for free. The school can provide a nice meal, put parents up in a hotel, etc. I agree that it probably wouldn't be wise for him to use one to come here, though.

That's true, but it also seems to be exactly what the Minnesota recruits say right before they pick another school. I'm pretty sure all of our Minnesota freshmen took official visits here even thought they didn't have to. Minnesota recruits taking officials here is a good sign, which is why I hope he does so.

He can't have the same experience - at least not for free. The school can provide a nice meal, put parents up in a hotel, etc. I agree that it probably wouldn't be wise for him to use one to come here, though.

I'm not saying he should, but it would make me more confident that he is legitimately interested.

If I was a highly rated Minnesota recruit, I'd plan recruiting visits to Hawaii, Miami, San Diego State, USC and Tulane (Feb)!

Then I'd pick the Gophers.

If I was a highly rated Minnesota recruit, I'd plan recruiting visits to Hawaii, Miami, San Diego State, USC and Tulane (Feb)!

This!!

This isn't even remotely accurate. He'd spend an entire weekend on campus and in a nice hotel when not spending time with current players, his brother and coaches. He would get to put on a uniform, have a photo shoot, have several meetings, hit up practice and enjoy quality food. The official visits have very detailed schedules if you've ever seen them posted on Twitter. Amir lived 15 minutes from campus and took an official, spent time at center court watching a video tribute of himself.

Go back and look at Kobe Brown's video, even though he didn't commit. You're not getting any of that on unofficial visits. You sit on the side at practices, chat briefly with the team after games, etc. Pitino and the Gophers can, should and will put the full-court press on Matthew Hurt. Not saying he wouldn't come here without an official, but they should do everything they can to get him to visit.

This isn't even remotely accurate. He'd spend an entire weekend on campus and in a nice hotel when not spending time with current players, his brother and coaches. He would get to put on a uniform, have a photo shoot, have several meetings, hit up practice and enjoy quality food. The official visits have very detailed schedules if you've ever seen them posted on Twitter. Amir lived 15 minutes from campus and took an official, spent time at center court watching a video tribute of himself.

Go back and look at Kobe Brown's video, even though he didn't commit. You're not getting any of that on unofficial visits. You sit on the side at practices, chat briefly with the team after games, etc. Pitino and the Gophers can, should and will put the full-court press on Matthew Hurt. Not saying he wouldn't come here without an official, but they should do everything they can to get him to visit.

I didn't say they shouldn't try to get him to take an official visit. I said I'd be surprised if he did. And I'm certain he can still hang out with the team whenever he wants, he has met the coaches dozens of times, has spent countless nights on campus and if he wants a nice meal or to stay in a nice hotel, his parents can pay for it.

Hell, if he REALLY wants to wear a jersey with his name on it, he can take one from his brother.

If he takes an official here that is a really good sign. He shouldn't and most likely won't.

I still Kansas is number 1 and the only chance we have is it the program ends up in deep trouble.

Which is why I bet Hawaii has to be really careful about who they invite on official visits!

Out of college, that's basically the list of places I took plant trip visits in deciding where to work -- ended up in New Mexico though, which was the last plant trip I took. Anytime you can take a hosted trip on someone else's dime, go for it.

I'm getting more bullish on him coming here -- the longer he waits, the better we'll look. Kansas is under investigation and that's not going away anytime soon, and I just don't see Memphis as a place he'd go. It's looking like with the Gophers he'll have a solid set of team mates next year (the Freshman three are making a name for themselves), and Hurt fits into the lineup nicely for next year. I'm up on him being the hometown hero and staying home.

I'm getting more bullish on him coming here -- the longer he waits, the better we'll look. Kansas is under investigation and that's not going away anytime soon, and I just don't see Memphis as a place he'd go. It's looking like with the Gophers he'll have a solid set of team mates next year (the Freshman three are making a name for themselves), and Hurt fits into the lineup nicely for next year. I'm up on him being the hometown hero and staying home.
I like your thinking and MN nice guy is a Gopher!

We should be very worried about Memphis right now.

They've got Wiseman, the 2019 national #1, committed. They also have two other warm 5-stars besides Hurt for 2018 and 2019 respectively.

Penny Hardaway as head coach is a great recruiting draw in itself. Sam Mitchell and Mike Miller are assistants which will make them even more effective in MN.

Top Bottom