All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Hurt on next year’s projected team would be incredibly impactful. He would solve front court depth and really help spacing issues. I don’t see how we would not be a sweet 16 team with him.

Did Kris Humphries fundamentally change things here in his one year? To me, that was one of the worst years of Gopher basketball.

I just don't buy the "Minnesota hero" argument many make on this board about a year of any particular recruit.

MN was sanctioned at the time....nothing was going to be a program changer.

Did Kris Humphries fundamentally change things here in his one year? To me, that was one of the worst years of Gopher basketball.

I just don't buy the "Minnesota hero" argument many make on this board about a year of any particular recruit.

Apples and oranges.

MN was sanctioned at the time....nothing was going to be a program changer.

Not trying to compare Humphries to Hurt directly. The Gophers were a better team the year before and the year after Humphries was here. Not suggesting we shouldn't recruit Hurt or celebrate his arrival (clearly).

I know humphries was a McDonald's all american, but I am not sure he was a top 10 player. He couldn't pass or wouldnt look to make others better. He also didn't do much beyond 10 feet.

Hurt is a good and willing passer especially in the summer when he has capable players. He also can shoot from outside as a stretch 4.

I know humphries was a McDonald's all american, but I am not sure he was a top 10 player. He couldn't pass or wouldnt look to make others better. He also didn't do much beyond 10 feet.

Hurt is a good and willing passer especially in the summer when he has capable players. He also can shoot from outside as a stretch 4.

Humphries was a physical freak. Strongest dude imaginable. Made over $60 mil in the league. He was the 17th ranked player in his (loaded) class and a 5 star recruit.

Not saying he is better than Hurt. Not saying Hurt is better than him. Neither could guard the other while in HS

Hurt is a very good player but if he can't lift JM to a state tournament all by himself (ala, Randy Breuer) then can he really be expected to lift the Gophers into say... a top 3 seed in the NCAA tournament?

No doubt he would have a better supporting cast than Humphries had with Ben Johnson and crew.

PG: Carr
SG: Gabe/Williams/Willis
SF: Coffey/Hurt
PF: Hurt/Omersa
C: Oturu/Curry

Would love to watch Hurt with these guys! We would definitely be looking for a 5 to 7 seed easy. Top 4 finish in the B1G.

Hurt is a very good player but if he can't lift JM to a state tournament all by himself (ala, Randy Breuer) then can he really be expected to lift the Gophers into say... a top 3 seed in the NCAA tournament?

No doubt he would have a better supporting cast than Humphries had with Ben Johnson and crew.

Freshman player of the year candidate paired with 2 reigning all-B1G freshmen team members.

Would love to watch Hurt with these guys! We would definitely be looking for a 5 to 7 seed easy. Top 4 finish in the B1G.

Basketball is a game of 5 on 5, not 1 on 1. Humphries not being able to get a garbage team over the hump is not evidence that another great player can't do so if he has the right pieces around him.

Next years team has a lot of talent and the only position of real concern is power forward, which happens to be Hurt's position. We really need better outside shooting, which Hurt happens to be great at. He is also a good passer and much less selfish player. All of these things make Hurt more suited to help us get over the hump and have a great year.

Who knows how much that 1 year would change things long term, but I fully believe we would win multiple games in the NCAA tournament with him, and that would only help recruiting.

All that being said, I don't think he's going to come here.

Freshman player of the year candidate paired with 2 reigning all-B1G freshmen team members.

I suppose you don't think Ben Simmons can help the 76ers get to the playoffs since he couldn't get LSU into the NCAA tournament.

Hurt has to do everything for JM. He wouldn't have to here. He's not only extremely talented, but he has what we lack the most (PF, outside shooting). He would make us a much, much better team. With him, a 3 seed would definitely be realistic.

He would make us a much, much better team. With him, a 3 seed would definitely be realistic.

The problem with this thinking is he's virtually guaranteed (based on 30+ years of results) to play with a bevy of other McDonald's All-Americans and for a Hall of Fame coach, be a 1 seed and contend for a national championship if he goes to Duke or Kentucky or North Carolina or Kansas. We just can't compete with that formula, no matter how positive we are about next year's roster.

The problem with this thinking is he's virtually guaranteed (based on 30+ years of results) to play with a bevy of other McDonald's All-Americans and for a Hall of Fame coach, be a 1 seed and contend for a national championship if he goes to Duke or Kentucky or North Carolina or Kansas. We just can't compete with that formula, no matter how positive we are about next year's roster.

I'm not suggesting he will come here, I'm just saying that he would make a huge difference with our team if he did. I would bet money he goes elsewhere. He's probably waiting to see which players declare for the draft before deciding which team to play for.

Hurt on next year’s projected team would be incredibly impactful. He would solve front court depth and really help spacing issues. I don’t see how we would not be a sweet 16 team with him.

The tourney is a total crap shoot no matter who you are. I could see him helping us with a top 3 conference finish.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Is it just me or has his brother seen a drop off in minutes.

Maybe Pitino got the final answer and retaliated. "Fine, we aren't playing your brother anymore... unless we really have to!"

Is it just me or has his brother seen a drop off in minutes.

Maybe Pitino got the final answer and retaliated. "Fine, we aren't playing your brother anymore... unless we really have to!"

I have had that thought for a while too, yes.

Also how aggravating is it that the 4 apparent finalists are all a bunch of cheaters. UNC should've gotten the death penalty, Kansas was expressly named in the FBI report, Duke has Zion who also was confirmed to be requiring payment, and Kentucky is ... well do I have to even explain?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Bond? What a weird way to say it. Meet with or spend time with...

Doogie is one strange mo-fo.

That is being polite...I always love how he deliberately picks idiots to engage with on twitter to prove his point, but will get ultra defensive and make bland statements anytime anyone questions anything.

Go Gophers!!

If he does not go to Gophers I'd rather see him at Memphis. No idea about his academics but Dook would be gag inducing.

STrib: Prized recruit Matthew Hurt seeks one last prize before leaving Rochester John Marshall

Matthew Hurt doesn’t hesitate when choosing his favorite subject in high school. He loves math, especially the stats class he’s taking this year.

“It comes easy to me,” he said.

Fitting, because the Rochester John Marshall senior knows a thing or two about stats in a different realm.

Hurt’s basketball résumé is chock-full of gaudy numbers. Only one thing is missing from one of the greatest individual prep careers in Minnesota hoops history: an appearance in the state tournament.

Hurt has one last chance to amend that. The state’s all-time leading scorer among big schools and one of the nation’s top recruits carries John Marshall into section play of the postseason this week.

The Rockets have lost to Lakeville North in the Class 4A, Section 1 championship six consecutive years. Hurt has been part of five of those losses, dating to his seventh-grade season. A few of those games were close and easily could have swung the other way.

Lakeville North is the top seed and favorite again in Section 1. JM is the No. 2 seed. Motivation is not hard to find.

“We want it bad,” Hurt said. “We’re hungry for it.”

Whatever the outcome, Hurt’s legacy already is cemented.

With 41 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists in the Rockets’ 87-70 victory over Rochester Century to open the section playoffs Wednesday night, he has scored 3,745 points in his career, which is third-most in state history. He also holds the big-school state record for rebounds with 1,439.

Hurt has led the state in scoring (all classes) three consecutive seasons. During the regular season, he averaged 36.7 points, 12.4 rebounds, 4.7 assists, 1.9 steals and 1.9 blocks per game.

http://www.startribune.com/prized-r...re-leaving-rochester-john-marshall/506799462/

Go Gophers!!

No way they get past Lakeville North. North has multiple guys who are 6'5" 240 plus pounds they will make life very difficult for Hurt.

Yep. They will get pounded by LN. Heck, they got pounded by Cretin Durham hall. JM is playing better basketball now than they were then, but Lakeville North is also playing well right now.

Top Bottom