All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

I agree that program-building takes time and is a process. I disagree, though, about how locals are remembered. While I remember Khalid and Tyus, it's with disappointment that they never became Gophers. They are not anywhere on the list with McHale, Olberding, Landsberger, Breuer, Peterson, Jacobson, Bauer, or even Humphries. Those players are revered. Much different than recollected.

Lol I can tell you this sentiment is not held for the majority of Minnesota basketball fans. Khalid is a legend, and Tyus will be as well.

I agree that program-building takes time and is a process. I disagree, though, about how locals are remembered. While I remember Khalid and Tyus, it's with disappointment that they never became Gophers. They are not anywhere on the list with McHale, Olberding, Landsberger, Breuer, Peterson, Jacobson, Bauer, or even Humphries. Those players are revered. Much different than recollected.

Don't know who you hang with but that sure isn't the case for me. Khalid is still the most famous local player in the city if you ask me and his name carries far more weight than any of those guys you mentioned. When I was growing up Khalid was a legend

Shouldn't we just assume Matthew will eventually be offered by every major school under the sun? They'll be coming fast and furious now, so he'll have 10 pages of posts with offers.

A top 5 kid like him will get offered from everyone he wants an offer from. If a blueblood doesnt offer its because he hasn't shown an ounce of interest. Hurt will have his pick from any school he wants to go to

A top 5 kid like him will get offered from everyone he wants an offer from. If a blueblood doesnt offer its because he hasn't shown an ounce of interest. Hurt will have his pick from any school he wants to go to

So long as it's nnot Wisconsin

Don't know who you hang with but that sure isn't the case for me. Khalid is still the most famous local player in the city if you ask me and his name carries far more weight than any of those guys you mentioned. When I was growing up Khalid was a legend

What's Khalid's last name:confused:

Lol I can tell you this sentiment is not held for the majority of Minnesota basketball fans. Khalid is a legend, and Tyus will be as well.

Perhaps a high school legend for Khalid in the eyes of Minnesotans. We didn't really watch him that much in college and never watched him in the pros. Tyus is a different story.

Is Khalid more of a legend than Barry Wohlers? I kind of doubt it.

They are legends because of what they did in High School. McHale is a legend because of what he did at Minnesota as is Randy Breur. Khalid won what? 4 championships on stacked Mpls North teams. I remember guys from Mpls Marshall that did similar things before they closed that school. We just didn't have Howard Pulley and AAU to make them more famous then.

If you are a star in Minnesota High School and could win a B1G championship as a Gopher, you would make people wonder who the hell Khalid El Amin was and why we would care.

I'm not far out of college and had no clue who you were referring to when you said Khalid to be honest. I feel like these "legends" we are discussing are all generational in their popularity, but Tyus would probably be the newer version of Khalid, although I'm not saying he was a better player or had way more hype.

Legends will depend on where you grow up as well. I'm from out state MN and Khalid El-Amin is NOT viewed as a legend to myself or anyone I grew up with.

I'm not far out of college and had no clue who you were referring to when you said Khalid to be honest. I feel like these "legends" we are discussing are all generational in their popularity, but Tyus would probably be the newer version of Khalid, although I'm not saying he was a better player or had way more hype.

Legends will depend on where you grow up as well. I'm from out state MN and Khalid El-Amin is NOT viewed as a legend to myself or anyone I grew up with.

Definitely location relative as well. I'm still in college, but I grew up in an inner ring suburb and played against Tyus several times. I also saw first hand the impact Khalid has on the basketball community in Minneapolis. That's why he's a legend to me, his accomplishments are pretty impressive, but he supports basketball at all levels in Minneapolis, Northside especially.

Going back to location based, someone mentioned Barry Wohler and I had never heard that name before reading it. Where you grow up does have a big impact.

We want to keep this thread focused on Matthew Hurt's recruitment. If you would like to discuss Khalid El-Amin, we recommend starting a new thread. Any posts not about Matthew Hurt will be deleted from this thread going forward. Thanks.

Definitely location relative as well. I'm still in college, but I grew up in an inner ring suburb and played against Tyus several times. I also saw first hand the impact Khalid has on the basketball community in Minneapolis. That's why he's a legend to me, his accomplishments are pretty impressive, but he supports basketball at all levels in Minneapolis, Northside especially.

Going back to location based, someone mentioned Barry Wohler and I had never heard that name before reading it. Where you grow up does have a big impact.

+1...This legend stuff is subjective. I'm not from Minnesota but the love Lid gets from the inner city is incredible.

Matthew Hurt signing here would be amazing. With his talent he would definitely become a legend like McHale or Olberding. Kahlid is not a legend in my book. He was a great HS player and had a great college career somewhere else. But from there he did nothing in the NBA. Look at the pro careers of past gophers mentioned by golden boy. Matthew Hurt has the size and skills to be just
Like them and be a local gopher legend

Matthew Hurt signing here would be amazing. With his talent he would definitely become a legend like McHale or Olberding. Kahlid is not a legend in my book. He was a great HS player and had a great college career somewhere else. But from there he did nothing in the NBA. Look at the pro careers of past gophers mentioned by golden boy. Matthew Hurt has the size and skills to be just
Like them and be a local gopher legend

I grew up in Minneapolis as a Gopher fan and I have no idea who Olberding is. He may be a legend in the country but not in the city. McHale was far more known for his Wolves time IMO though maybe the 2 bled into each other. Hurt has a chance to make his name famous but in all likelihood he's a 1 year guy so unless he's winning conference titles at the least it'll be hard for him to get to legendary status, especially playing outstate in high school

For anyone who followed MN HS basketball, Khaled is a legend. It's shocking to me it is even being debated.

Khaled was the best player on maybe the best team(s). Before Khaled, the elite MN HS basketball recruit didn't exist. To this day, when Khaled walks into a HS gym or AAU circuit gym, people stop and point. If we're talking about legends of MN basketball, it has to include Khaled.

If he wasn't considered a legend to you, my guess is that you probably don't closely follow MN high school or AAU basketball.

For anyone who followed MN HS basketball, Khalid is a legend. It's shocking to me it is even being debated.

Khalid was the best player on maybe the best team(s). Before Khalid, the elite MN HS basketball recruit didn't exist. To this day, when Khalid walks into a HS gym or AAU circuit gym, people stop and point. If we're talking about legends of MN basketball, it has to include Khalid.

If he wasn't considered a legend to you, my guess is that you probably don't closely follow MN high school or AAU basketball.

FIFY

We want to keep this thread focused on Matthew Hurt's recruitment. If you would like to discuss Khalid El-Amin, we recommend starting a new thread. Any posts not about Matthew Hurt will be deleted from this thread going forward. Thanks.

Posters are comparing Matthew Hurt to Khalid El-Amin and other highly touted local recruits from the past.

It's an interesting discussion and completely relevant to this thread.

Posters are comparing Matthew Hurt to Khalid El-Amin and other highly touted local recruits from the past.

It's an interesting discussion and completely relevant to this thread.

Agree. Totally valid comparison/discussion. Probably reported by someone who gets hurt (no pun intended) when people talk about great recruits leaving (which they do). I'm hunching that it wouldn't be shut down if the convo revolved around a Coffey/Hurt comparison and staying home.

Until the U starts landing some of these elite recruits that walk across the border and have legendary careers elsewhere, this will always be a topic in an elite recruits thread. And, yes, these players can be criticzed for that. They choose the lifestyle. A lot of fine hard-working people's late nights and tax dollars in this fine state get poured into assisting this kids become who they are. Taking that potential revenue stream somewhere else, and not considering loyalty to your home, should rightfully be questioned and taken as an afront. Still don't understand why that became politically incorrect somewhere along the way.

Agree. Totally valid comparison/discussion. Probably reported by someone who gets hurt (no pun intended) when people talk about great recruits leaving (which they do). I'm hunching that it wouldn't be shut down if the convo revolved around a Coffey/Hurt comparison and staying home.

Until the U starts landing some of these elite recruits that walk across the border and have legendary careers elsewhere, this will always be a topic in an elite recruits thread. And, yes, these players can be criticzed for that. They choose the lifestyle. A lot of fine hard-working people's late nights and tax dollars in this fine state get poured into assisting this kids become who they are. Taking that potential revenue stream somewhere else, and not considering loyalty to your home, should rightfully be questioned and taken as an afront. Still don't understand why that became politically incorrect somewhere along the way.

The last half of your second paragraph was really unnecessary and I hope you don't actually feel that way

5* players primary concern is where can they showcase their game to get the highest draft spot possible. Duke, UNC, MSU, Kentucky, etc. are all on tv so much and followed so closely by ESPN you shouldn't hold it against players for ensuring they have the best chance to get paid.

Minnesota CAN compete for these kids only be winning enough to get a fair share of nationally televised games. It's kind of a chicken and an egg thing until you build your program to be self-sustaining.

Rick Rickert, Kris Humphries, and Joel Pryzbilla all got drafted (Rickert barely) and all three were on sub par to pretty bad gopher teams. I think this day in age with the BTN, social media, etc. it would be false to say a player for the gophers would not or could not be seen as much as a player for a blue blood. However, I do agree with Otis that playing for a blue blood could help the draft spot due to the chance of making a longer run (historically speaking) in March being on one of these teams.

The NBA finds you no matter where you are. On the other hand all these players deserve to go to school wherever they want. Often they pick a legendary coach, better program and better school with a much better chance to win it all. No harm in that. You want the guys who really want to be here.

A lot of fine hard-working people's late nights and tax dollars in this fine state get poured into assisting this kids become who they are. Taking that potential revenue stream somewhere else, and not considering loyalty to your home, should rightfully be questioned and taken as an afront..

PST

If Pitino gets either Jones or Hurt, will consider that final proof Gophers basketball is being viewed (locally) as on the rise.

IMO Gophers not getting Tre, but another season like last season & better (legitimately compete for B1G title + Sweet 16) and I think there's a very real chance at getting Hurt.

There is a very real chance of getting Hurt period.

This is true.

I also think there is a decent chance they get Tre Jones. Maybe 15-20%? I know that Pitino won't land an elite guard which will scare him away. I also know Pitino won't retire due to age while Tre is still college-aged.

Top Bottom