All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FWIW Slam Magazine posits that Matthew will follow Michael and become a Gopher. From Slam Magazine to God's ears.

Matthew Hurt, 6-9 PF, Rochester John Marshall (MN), 2019

One of the most skilled forwards in his grade, Matthew Hurt is the epitome of today’s new age face-up forward. He showed range out to the NBA line, can take slower defenders off the bounce, and has the moves to post smaller defenders. The versatility that he offers on the offensive end is what makes him Minnesota’s top big man, as well as one of the very best nationally in the Class of 2019. With his brother Michael already playing for the Golden Gophers, many expect Matthew to follow his big bro’s footsteps and become a program changer for Richard Pitino.

Go Gophers!!

per JayhawkSlant: KU an early leader for five-star Matthew Hurt?

Matthew Hurt, one of the most polished forwards in high school basketball, has not been short of college interest as a few blue blood programs remain heavily in the mix.

Ranked No. 6 in the 2019 Rivals150, Hurt spoke on the programs that touched base with him on June 15, the first day of allowable direct contact.

“I got texts from Louisville, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Virginia, Ohio State, Indiana and a few others,” he said. “Most of the schools that haven’t offered me yet want to see me in July since they haven’t seen me play since last year.”

Despite sitting out for the past several months due to an injury, Hurt has not seen a dip in his recruitment. His brother, Michael, is a rising sophomore at Minnesota and the Gophers have placed a priority on extending the Hurt family connection. However, Hurt's recruitment has been a blue blood affair for the past year as Kansas, North Carolina and Louisville, among others, have already offered.

RIVALS' REACTION

Hurt boasts offers from practically every school in America outside of Duke or Kentucky, and that could change after he gets back onto travel circuit next month.

Minnesota remains squarely in the mix thanks to several factors - and his family tie to the program doesn't hurt, either. However, Kansas and North Carolina may be the early leaders at this point.

https://kansas.rivals.com/news/ku-an-early-leader-for-five-star-matthew-hurt-

Go Gophers!!

Marcus Q&A with Oturu:

PLAYING WITH MATTHEW HURT AT TOP 100: “Me and Matthew are really good friends. He’s one of my guys. It’s been like that for a little bit. (Last) weekend we got a lot closer from being on the same team. It came up talking about (both playing for Gophers). His brother (Michael) plays there. And I just talked to him about it would be tight if he came. It would be really cool to play with him in college, too. He’s a top 5 player in his (2019) class. He’s just a really great all-around player. He can play defense, shoot the ball and score at all three levels. It would be really cool to play with him.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-summer-and-recruiting-for-pitino/431686313/

Go Gophers!!

per Scout:

Five-star 2019 power forward Matthew Hurt will make an unofficial visit to Louisville. He's the No. 6 player in the Scout.com rankings for the '19 class.

Rochester, Minn., John Marshall High School five-star power forward Matthew Hurt will make an unofficial visit to the University of Louisville campus on Sept. 30, according to his father - Richard.

The 6-foot-9 Hurt is the No. 6 ranked player in the Class of 2019.

In an interview with the media at the adidas Gauntlet Series Finale on Friday, Hurt said he's "wide open" on his recruitment. He said Kansas, Duke, Indiana, Louisville and Minnesota are recruiting him the hardest. But he also mentioned Kentucky and UCLA.

U of L coach Rick Pitino sat next to his son - and Minnesota coach Richard Pitino - watching Hurt on Friday.

Hurt's father is from Murray, Ky., and his father, Richard Sr., played basketball at Murray State and then attended medical school at Louisville. Richard also had a brother attend medical school at U of L and is a longtime fan of the Cardinals.

http://www.scout.com/college/louisville/story/1791360-5-star-19-pf-will-visit-louisville

Go Gophers!!

I haven't been paying too close of attention to this recruitment yet, but I take this as a sign that he likes the Pitino sales pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wish one or two of these 5* guys from Minnesota would appreciate that they could elevate their own state's basketball program instead of being just another McDonald's All-American at Duke North Carolina, Kansas and such.

They would be remembered forever here.

I really wish one or two of these 5* guys from Minnesota would appreciate that they could elevate their own state's basketball program instead of being just another McDonald's All-American at Duke North Carolina, Kansas and such.

Tyus and Khalid won a championships elsewhere and will still be remembered in Minnesota forever. Elite talent wants to not only play against but with other elite talent. 5 stars weren't just knocking down the door to go to Duke when Coach K first arrived. It's a process and takes time to build your program to the point where you have the pick of the litter.

I agree that program-building takes time and is a process. I disagree, though, about how locals are remembered. While I remember Khalid and Tyus, it's with disappointment that they never became Gophers. They are not anywhere on the list with McHale, Olberding, Landsberger, Breuer, Peterson, Jacobson, Bauer, or even Humphries. Those players are revered. Much different than recollected.

But what if these bluebloods are there dream schools. Kids are fans of teams from a young age.

Is it shocking that Duke offered / Kentucky will eventually offer? He's a consensus top 10 player in the country and deserves the stratum of interest / offers he is receiving and we're going to have to compete extremely hard for him. I don't get the consternation, this was inevitable. All we can do is hope for the best - if he decides to pursue another options he's certainly entitled to that. Seems like a great kid and I hope he stays, time will tell.

Is it shocking that Duke offered / Kentucky will eventually offer? He's a consensus top 10 player in the country and deserves the stratum of interest / offers he is receiving and we're going to have to compete extremely hard for him. I don't get the consternation, this was inevitable. All we can do is hope for the best - if he decides to pursue another options he's certainly entitled to that. Seems like a great kid and I hope he stays, time will tell.

You're getting dangerously close to applying common sense and logic to recruiting discussions. It needs to stop.

I agree that program-building takes time and is a process. I disagree, though, about how locals are remembered. While I remember Khalid and Tyus, it's with disappointment that they never became Gophers. They are not anywhere on the list with McHale, Olberding, Landsberger, Breuer, Peterson, Jacobson, Bauer, or even Humphries. Those players are revered. Much different than recollected.

I don't really revere Humphries

This is more concerning than the previous tweet.

We'll be lucky to get him. Best thing we did was offer his brother early.
Now they may want to make a priority of getting his brother some PT.

Worked out well to get Henry

I don't really revere Humphries

Humphries is miles closer to those on my list than Tyus and Khalid. We got one great year from him, he just didn't have much of a team around him. Sure, I would have loved to keep him longer, to see if the team would improve. Do you have the same disdain for Rickert or Pryzbilla, since they left early as well? I appreciate those guys 1000x more than guys who went elsewhere. I don't hate any of them; I just don't care.

Really hope we get Matthew. Program changer, great family, amazing talent.

Go Gophers!!

Shouldn't we just assume Matthew will eventually be offered by every major school under the sun? They'll be coming fast and furious now, so he'll have 10 pages of posts with offers.

Top Bottom