All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Definitely reminds me of a young Jim Shikenjanski.... AKA the Gopher GOAT

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Matthew Hurt, the Rochester John Marshall boys’ basketball standout, is rated as one of the top sophomores in the nation. The 6-9 sophomore, whose brother, Michael, is a Gophers freshman, has offers from all the premier schools, led his AAU team DI Minnesota in points and rebounds and played at the Adidas Nations tournament in Los Angeles, where he was one of the few prospects from the Class of 2019 invited.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-asking-a-lot-out-of-newcomer-sam-bradford/392260141/

Go Gophers!!

Homer, Pollyanna, Maroon-Colored Glasses Alert:

Wouldn't Hurt have a similar chance of being drafted as a Gopher (as say a Dukey, or Jayhawk)?
Does a five-star develop faster/better at a blue blood for that single year?

Obviously exposure is better with a better program, but Christ-on-a-bike, the NBA finds players in remote, Croatian villages. They can't find him in Minneapolis?

Wouldn't Hurt have a similar chance of being drafted as a Gopher (as say a Dukey, or Jayhawk)?

Obviously exposure is better with a better program, but Christ-on-a-bike, the NBA finds players in remote, Croatian villages. They can't find him in Minneapolis?

Spot on. If Minnesota is competitive when Hurt is ready to commit, we will have a good chance to get him.

Marquette didn't seem to hurt Henry Ellenson. Monson's worst Gopher squad (full year) didn't hold Humphries back. I think if we have a reasonable amount success a couple NCAA appearances over the next three years I think Matthew would be very enticed to join his brother, especially if Michael is a big part of it and if we can bring in a strong 2018 class to support the guys already here.

I think this is true most of the time. I also think there are exceptions like Tyus Jones. He wasn't drafted because of his NBA body, athleticism, or shooting ability. He was drafted because of the toughness and leadership he showed leading his team to a championship. If he would have went somewhere else, he'd probably still be playing college ball.

I think this is true most of the time. I also think there are exceptions like Tyus Jones. He wasn't drafted because of his NBA body, athleticism, or shooting ability. He was drafted because of the toughness and leadership he showed leading his team to a championship. If he would have went somewhere else, he'd probably still be playing college ball.

I think you're likely correct. I also think that Coach Cal and Coach K can sell the improvement players make on a daily basis by practicing against other top-tier talent. Some of the toughest competition they face happens in practice.

I guess it sort of depends on the caliber of coach that Pitino is, and what Hurt wants to get out of his college basketball experience. If he's a one-and-done, does he just want to go to a place that will prepare him best for the NBA, and maybe have a shot at a national title? Maybe a blue blood is what he wants then. I've heard the argument that guys like K and Calipari have more experience developing elite talent, and thus top recruits are better served playing for those coaches than staying home, (or going halfway across the country to Washington and playing in the NIT). I remember seeing articles calling Ben Simmons at LSU a cautionary tale of why top recruits should stick to the top programs with the top coaches, but even though his team was underwhelming, he still went #1 in the draft.

Hopefully he doesn't overthink his decision. Two questions that make it very simple in determining whether he wants to play for the University of Minnesota:

1. Did he and more importantly does he STILL dream of playing for the hometown team? If yes, he can realize his dream by committing to the Gophers.

2. Does he want to play organized basketball with Michael again? If yes, he has the opportunity to do it with the Gophers.

If Matthew Hurt's answer is "Yes" to both of those questions his decision is easy. If he is as good as everyone thinks he is the NBA will draft him accordingly when the time comes. There is no doubt about that.

If his answer to either question is "No" or "Not necessarily" then he has all sorts of things to consider above and beyond those two questions when deciding what school to play for.

I guess it sort of depends on the caliber of coach that Pitino is, and what Hurt wants to get out of his college basketball experience. If he's a one-and-done, does he just want to go to a place that will prepare him best for the NBA, and maybe have a shot at a national title? Maybe a blue blood is what he wants then. I've heard the argument that guys like K and Calipari have more experience developing elite talent, and thus top recruits are better served playing for those coaches than staying home, (or going halfway across the country to Washington and playing in the NIT). I remember seeing articles calling Ben Simmons at LSU a cautionary tale of why top recruits should stick to the top programs with the top coaches, but even though his team was underwhelming, he still went #1 in the draft.

Or he could opt for a year or two with the Washington Generals, which would give him plenty of floor time. Won-loss record for an elite player isn't that important anyway.

I don't really know how true that is. The NBA knows exactly who kids like Tyus Jones are before they arrive on a college campus. He was a top recruit who went on to be a really good college basketball player. His lack of an NBA body and athleticism is why he lasted till the end of round 1.

There are similar recruits that go to the non-blue blood programs that get drafted earlier than Tyus every year. (2016: Marquese Chriss, Jaylen Brown, Dejounte Murray).

Hopefully he doesn't overthink his decision. Two questions that make it very simple in determining whether he wants to play for the University of Minnesota:

1. Did he and more importantly does he STILL dream of playing for the hometown team? If yes, he can realize his dream by committing to the Gophers.

2. Does he want to play organized basketball with Michael again? If yes, he has the opportunity to do it with the Gophers.

If Matthew Hurt's answer is "Yes" to both of those questions his decision is easy. If he is as good as everyone thinks he is the NBA will draft him accordingly when the time comes. There is no doubt about that.

If his answer to either question is "No" or "Not necessarily" then he has all sorts of things to consider above and beyond those two questions when deciding what school to play for.

Even if he answers yes and yes, he absolutely should be looking at this as a financial decision. His salary out of college is a consequence of his draft position. He should be attaching a dollar sign to each school's ability to develop and showcase his game (to the best of his ability to judge), and weighing that against his desire to play at any given school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now days it absolutely doesn't matter where u play. Carson wentz number 2 overall pick for a lower class. The tape and film these teams can watch now days they can see everything they want to see. Why do u think all these guys get drafted from over seas. Film!! I always laugh when someone says u have to go to duke to get drafted that is so funny to me.

per Shama:

A source from Rochester, Minnesota told Sports Headliners North Carolina coach Roy Williams was in town last week recruiting John Marshall High School’s Matthew Hurt. Kansas coach Bill Self visited Rochester recently too in pursuit of the sophomore forward who is already among the more highly recruited boys basketball players in state history.

While Matthew wants a pro basketball career, older brother Michael is a freshman with the Gophers and plans to be a doctor. The close relationship between the two brothers will help Minnesota’s chances of gaining a commitment from Matthew.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

2019 five-star Matt Hurt will take an unofficial visit to Texas for their Late Night festivities this weekend, per his coach.

Per Evan Daniels

Top Bottom