All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

The fact that there are 4 high schools in Rochester doesn't help. If there were only 1 or 2 and he was playing with the Madsen brothers, they would be hard to beat.

Not really a fair comparison as again Lakeville North has come out of that section every year. Lakeville has a population of 60k and has 2 high schools, where as Rochester has around 115K and has 4. John Marshall's best shot was 3-4 years ago when they had both Hurt brothers and a couple of good DII level guards, but they couldn't get past North. That team would've came out of a lot of other sections.

Not really a fair comparison as again Lakeville North has come out of that section every year. Lakeville has a population of 60k and has 2 high schools, where as Rochester has around 115K and has 4. John Marshall's best shot was 3-4 years ago when they had both Hurt brothers and a couple of good DII level guards, but they couldn't get past North. That team would've came out of a lot of other sections.

And a lot of the kids on JM's roster wouldn't be on teams in the other sections. Why can't we just say that JM happens to have a top 5 player in the country on the roster but they simply just aren't good?

Right, I was just explaining how a team in a city of over 100k could have a team with as little talent as JM (outside of Hurt). Given that question and the fact that people have referred to JM as simply "Rochester", it seems like some didn't know that there are several high schools.

So what i think i have gotten out of all this is that each high school draws from roughly 30 thousand no matter how big the city actually is, and one school has a top 5 player in the country on it.

So what i think i have gotten out of all this is that each high school draws from roughly 30 thousand no matter how big the city actually is, and one school has a top 5 player in the country on it.

The way I was reading the posts on here was that people were criticizing Hurt/Rochester JM for not getting to the state tournament. My point was that it had nothing to do with the fact that a town had 4 high schools or that the JM teams were bad. In fact most were quite good (This year is an exception), there lack of appearances in the state tournament had more to do with how good Lakeville North has been the last 5-6 years.

My point is that having 4 high schools instead of 1 or 2 waters down the talent for each school. Not sure what "No excuses" is supposed to mean in that context.
My point is...with open enrollment there is no excuses for any "watered down" statement. The best can enroll in the school as one group. That is precisely what happens in the metro area. Look at how many kids are out of district in Hopkins.

My point is...with open enrollment there is no excuses for any "watered down" statement. The best can enroll in the school as one group. That is precisely what happens in the metro area. Look at how many kids are out of district in Hopkins.

And that is also BS. Maybe some of those kids have some pride in their schools and themselves. We don't see hardly any open enrollment stuff for athletics at least in Southern Minnesota. The metro is a free for all, no wonder they dominate most years.

And that is also BS. Maybe some of those kids have some pride in their schools and themselves. We don't see hardly any open enrollment stuff for athletics at least in Southern Minnesota. The metro is a free for all, no wonder they dominate most years.
With four schools to draw from, one school can field a great team in Rochester. If kids are colloquial, that's there choice, but don't say the pool is too small.

I never said the pool is too small. I said open enrollment for sports is BS.

Close enough.
The kids stick with their grade school buddies and keep their conversations to a small group.
Wrong word. It doesn't bother me, but shirley it bothers you. [emoji1902]

Close enough.
The kids stick with their grade school buddies and keep their conversations to a small group.
Wrong word. It doesn't bother me, but shirley it bothers you. [emoji1902]

I sincerely don't know what word you're attempting to use. Parochial?

It's a shame the previous JM coach resigned after Rochester Mayo announced the signing of Coach Madsen and the transfer of his sons from Wisconsin. Otherwise we'd be talking about this year being a back-to-back state trip if they were playing together.

Since Hurt has been playing here since a few varsity minutes in 7th grade, it is astonishing they didn't get some players naturally move in to NW Rochester or transfer. That said, I'm also surprised he stayed at JM for another season. He was already 18 prior to senior year, so I thought perhaps he might re-classify.

It certainly doesn't look like they will keep their streak of losing to LV North though, unless it is in an earlier round of the playoffs.

per KeepingItHeel:

No. 7 in the 247Sports Composite, Hurt has long been considered a strong Kansas lean. In recent weeks, though, Kentucky coach John Calipari appears to have turned up the heat in his pursuit of the versatile post player out of Rochester, Minnesota.

North Carolina is said to still be a player in the race, too, and the Tar Heels will make their best pitch when Hurt comes to town this weekend. He’ll be in attendance when the Tar Heels host the Gonzaga Bulldogs Saturday night in what should be one of the best environments in college basketball this season.

Current projections on 247Sports favor Kansas to land Hurt in a landslide over second-place Minnesota.

https://keepingitheel.com/2018/12/12/unc-basketball-latest-5-star-pf-matthew-hurt/

Go Gophers!!

per KeepingItHeel:

No. 7 in the 247Sports Composite, Hurt has long been considered a strong Kansas lean. In recent weeks, though, Kentucky coach John Calipari appears to have turned up the heat in his pursuit of the versatile post player out of Rochester, Minnesota.

North Carolina is said to still be a player in the race, too, and the Tar Heels will make their best pitch when Hurt comes to town this weekend. He’ll be in attendance when the Tar Heels host the Gonzaga Bulldogs Saturday night in what should be one of the best environments in college basketball this season.

Current projections on 247Sports favor Kansas to land Hurt in a landslide over second-place Minnesota.

https://keepingitheel.com/2018/12/12/unc-basketball-latest-5-star-pf-matthew-hurt/

Go Gophers!!

It's sick that we are competing against the tar heels and jayhawks for players. CHEATERS

#Levelplayingfield

#excusesareforlosers

Cheaters will continue to cheat no matter the rules. They will look to get an advantage no mater what the ground rules are. The only way to stop them is to actually punish them. Kansas and North Carolina should be banned from the post season for 5 years and their players should be grated immediate eligibility if they choose to transfer. They can still have their scholarships though.

It's a shame the previous JM coach resigned after Rochester Mayo announced the signing of Coach Madsen and the transfer of his sons from Wisconsin. Otherwise we'd be talking about this year being a back-to-back state trip if they were playing together.

Since Hurt has been playing here since a few varsity minutes in 7th grade, it is astonishing they didn't get some players naturally move in to NW Rochester or transfer. That said, I'm also surprised he stayed at JM for another season. He was already 18 prior to senior year, so I thought perhaps he might re-classify.

It certainly doesn't look like they will keep their streak of losing to LV North though, unless it is in an earlier round of the playoffs.

Playing the what if game - imagine if LV had one high school. There has been some very good talent at South as well.

Playing the what if game - imagine if LV had one high school. There has been some very good talent at South as well.

That would put them as the largest school by enrollment in the state, but still only a few hundred more then Wayzata. They would be that much more dominate, lot of good players would get cut.

JM has over 1,400 kids.. only a few hundred behind LN & LS.

Cheaters will continue to cheat no matter the rules. They will look to get an advantage no mater what the ground rules are. The only way to stop them is to actually punish them. Kansas and North Carolina should be banned from the post season for 5 years and their players should be grated immediate eligibility if they choose to transfer. They can still have their scholarships though.

+1 million

Top Bottom