All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Just watched JM and Hurt take down Owatonna in section semis 68-66. Hurt had 37 pts. and 21 boards; 12-12 at the charity stripe.
Please Matthew, play with your brother at least a year!

Just watched JM and Hurt take down Owatonna in section semis 68-66. Hurt had 37 pts. and 21 boards; 12-12 at the charity stripe.

Just can't imagine him calling K, Self, Cheater, Calipari and saying no to all of them. Would be interesting study to see what percent of guys who have multiple blue blood offers go a different direction. Guessing that percent would be pretty low. These one and done guys get one chance to play in the dance so I suppose blue bloods give them the best chance to go deep into the tournament. If he came to us, we would certainly be about as good as anyone at SF, PF, C. Need our guards to be strong next season. Maybe then gophs would get consideration, at least.

Just can't imagine him calling K, Self, Cheater, Calipari and saying no to all of them. Would be interesting study to see what percent of guys who have multiple blue blood offers go a different direction. Guessing that percent would be pretty low. These one and done guys get one chance to play in the dance so I suppose blue bloods give them the best chance to go deep into the tournament. If he came to us, we would certainly be about as good as anyone at SF, PF, C. Need our guards to be strong next season. Maybe then gophs would get consideration, at least.

When do they play Lakeville? I'm hoping it's Friday night and I'll make the long drive to watch it.

Michael Porter Jr, Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown, Markelle Fultz, Dennis Smith Jr, Collin Sexton, Ivan Rabb, Henry Ellenson, and that's just over the last few years.

Right, if Mathew came we would be just as talented as anybody. We would have four top 60 ish recruits in the starting line up, could definetly see a final four run. I think his recruitment comes down to if he thinks pitino can get him to the NBA.

Michael Porter Jr, Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown, Markelle Fultz, Dennis Smith Jr, Collin Sexton, Ivan Rabb, Henry Ellenson, and that's just over the last few years.

Encouraging to read those names for sure. Just think it would be an interesting study. Guess I was thinking no more than 10%. Maybe it would be more.

Right, if Mathew came we would be just as talented as anybody. We would have four top 60 ish recruits in the starting line up, could definetly see a final four run. I think his recruitment comes down to if he thinks pitino can get him to the NBA.

That's what I think as well. We would be very good. If he doesn't come here it will be because he feels another school will prepare him better for the next level or he just wants to be part of a more storied program, not because he wouldn't win here.

Just can't imagine him calling K, Self, Cheater, Calipari and saying no to all of them.

And that right there is the problem with the program and with Gopher fans in this day and age. Local 5-star players have turned down blue blood programs to play here under every coach prior to this one, going back nearly 50 years, but suddenly it's a pipe dream? If so, I give up. I tend to think more like this: if Pitino is half the recruiter Norwood thought he was when he hired him, we should get the occasional local elite player. And if the fans don't expect that kind of recruiting performance, then we're part of the problem.

Just looked it up. Game is 1:00 pm Saturday in Rochester.

I've heard there's some weirdness going on with the venue. The large Mayo auditorium is booked for an NCAA women's game, and they won't give it up to play in a smaller room, even though it'll likely draw only 500 spectators. So the section game will be in a smaller gym, with closed circuit viewing in yet another room in the facility. Can't confirm, but that's what I was told by a JM alum.

I've heard there's some weirdness going on with the venue. The large Mayo auditorium is booked for an NCAA women's game, and they won't give it up to play in a smaller room, even though it'll likely draw only 500 spectators. So the section game will be in a smaller gym, with closed circuit viewing in yet another room in the facility. Can't confirm, but that's what I was told by a JM alum.

Section 1 Boy's games info here: https://mayociviccenter.com/events-...SHSL Section 1AAAA Boys Basketball Tournament
Women's D3 info here https://mayociviccenter.com/events-... Division III Women’s Basketball Championship

It looks like the Auditorium holds a couple of thousand less fans than the Arena.

If you want to see the JM/LV game in the arena, you'll have to get there about 3 hrs. before tipoff. I will say the arena is an old school, bandbox gym that is as good as it gets for noise and atmosphere.

If you want to see the JM/LV game in the arena, you'll have to get there about 3 hrs. before tipoff. I will say the arena is an old school, bandbox gym that is as good as it gets for noise and atmosphere.

Agreed. The auditorium holds 3000. If you want to go, gets tickets before hand or show up to ticket office at 7am to get in line. This has held some pretty great games in the past 75 years. It can be deafening and the crowd is right on top of the court almost literally.

Should be an awesome game. I think it will come down to what Daly can get out of his 4th and 5th starters. LN is solid. Should be fun.

This may have already been mentioned in this thread (I'm too lazy to look it up), but isn't there a chance that Hurt may leave after his junior year and go to an elite program for his senior year of basketball? (some type of basketball academy). Far away from Rochester.

Talked to a guy who was at that game, said he was a basically 6'-10" point guard and he could do it all.

Has Hurt indicated a likely timeline for his decision? WAY too lazy to look back through all of these pages! hah

Has Hurt indicated a likely timeline for his decision? WAY too lazy to look back through all of these pages! hah

I think the Fall months have been suggested in articles but could see it being sooner than that considering he's pretty much visited all the schools he's considering.

Agreed. The auditorium holds 3000. If you want to go, gets tickets before hand or show up to ticket office at 7am to get in line. This has held some pretty great games in the past 75 years. It can be deafening and the crowd is right on top of the court almost literally.

Should be an awesome game. I think it will come down to what Daly can get out of his 4th and 5th starters. LN is solid. Should be fun.

I'm guessing you can always find a ticket if you are willing to work the people arriving but it is sold out at this point in Rochester. Tickets were pre-sale in Rochester yesterday. Maybe Lakeville North still has tickets?
There is a closed circuit room to watch on TV evidently.

Talked to a guy who was at that game, said he was a basically 6'-10" point guard and he could do it all.

I'd agree if we think of Larry Bird as a point guard without the threes. He's not a Rubio, Westbrook, IW, or Nate Mason type point guard. He can handle the ball, see over people and pass to the open man versus the press. He can shoot threes but rarely attempts one and needs time to release versus someone over 6' tall or any ball pressure from anybody. He can shoot open 15 footers and make free throws but all his contested makes are around the basket. Not gonna create offense or a shot in the half court unless he bulls his way to the basket. Scores a lot on rebound put-backs. He is outstanding! But can he be Kevin Durant? I could see that evolution but he's no where near yet. lol No doubt very talented but...

But can he be Kevin Durant? I could see that evolution but he's no where near yet. lol No doubt very talented but...

We need to compare apples to apples, I don't know what a 17 year old Larry Bird could do... We could find footage of 17 year old KD to compare, but what kind of a GH nut job would take the time to do that? Scouts have him ranked 5th in the nation for a reason.

I hope we're not talking current NBA KD... Could he play similar to 06-07 Texas Kevin Durant? Yes.

Someplace between that and 01-02 Rick Rickert... Ha, who knows, but he will be one hell of a college player.

We need to compare apples to apples, I don't know what a 17 year old Larry Bird could do... We could find footage of 17 year old KD to compare, but what kind of a GH nut job would take the time to do that? Scouts have him ranked 5th in the nation for a reason.

I hope we're not talking current NBA KD... Could he play similar to 06-07 Texas Kevin Durant? Yes.

Someplace between that and 01-02 Rick Rickert... Ha, who knows, but he will be one hell of a college player.

I remember watching Texas KD and thinking man all this guy does is run wing to wing an shoot jumpers.

Turns out that's all you need to do in the NBA now too so KD had something going for him!

(KD is obviously a supremely talented individual)

Hurt and Durant have similar body types but that's where the comp stops. The combination of shooting and scoring skill with guard like handles (At Texas) sets Durant apart from any player we'll see for a while. Hurt is an exceptional talent but he doesn't have the fluidity to play on the wing. I see more Lauri Markkanen than anyone else as of right now. I'd be interested to see how he looks in ISO situations against guys his size. Can he break a defender down off the dribble? That's the next step in his development I would think.

I'd agree if we think of Larry Bird as a point guard without the threes. He's not a Rubio, Westbrook, IW, or Nate Mason type point guard. He can handle the ball, see over people and pass to the open man versus the press. He can shoot threes but rarely attempts one and needs time to release versus someone over 6' tall or any ball pressure from anybody. He can shoot open 15 footers and make free throws but all his contested makes are around the basket. Not gonna create offense or a shot in the half court unless he bulls his way to the basket. Scores a lot on rebound put-backs. He is outstanding! But can he be Kevin Durant? I could see that evolution but he's no where near yet. lol No doubt very talented but...

I've seen the kid play about 8 times, and I don't think he has any problem getting a shot off against anyone. He does handle it like a point guard and has two or three guys collapsing around him in the lane in every game I've watched him play. He shots his jump shot high, well above his head, he can go to the basket with either hand with guys hacking him the whole way. The games I've watched him play he has a pretty good range and didn't seem scared to shot from long distance either. I also saw him play against Reuvers last year in the section final and there was no question in my mind that Hurt was the best player on the floor...and I was really impressed with Reuvers the year before when I saw him in the section final and state tournament.

Hurt and Durant have similar body types but that's where the comp stops. The combination of shooting and scoring skill with guard like handles (At Texas) sets Durant apart from any player we'll see for a while. Hurt is an exceptional talent but he doesn't have the fluidity to play on the wing. I see more Lauri Markkanen than anyone else as of right now. I'd be interested to see how he looks in ISO situations against guys his size. Can he break a defender down off the dribble? That's the next step in his development I would think.

You're comparing Hurt to the best player in the NBA....it's hardly a fair comparison.

Hurt's only a junior. I saw Tyus play several times in high school, and they are totally different players....but to me, that's the comparison I would make as far as talent. I saw both Austin and JM play earlier in January, and I knew that JM would never be able to handle that 1-3-1 that Austin plays for 3/4 court. I was shocked when I saw JM beat them the second time around at the end of the year. All I know is that Hurt must have been pretty incredible in that game.

Top Bottom