All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Hurt can play all 5 positions?

The delusion sometimes is comical.

He is rail thin.

I'd love to see him bring the ball up the court against division 1 guards.

Good grief people.

He won't be playing any point guard in college, but he can absolutely do it in high school, and he does it well. He's a very good ball handler and passer.

Don't be a D-bag. He can play all 5 spots in high school, not college. He's not going to bring the ball up, but the point is he can play inside or outside.
How does he compare with Wagner at Michigan?

How does he compare with Wagner at Michigan?

I would actually say Hurt and Wagner are very similar in playing styles. I've seen Hurt play three times this year, and he looked more comfortable dribbling than the other guards on the team.

He won't be playing any point guard in college, but he can absolutely do it in high school, and he does it well. He's a very good ball handler and passer.

He can't play the 2 in college either. They would blow right past him. He is not close to physical enough to play center.

It would be the 4 or the 3.

So in his one and done scenario, would murphy come off the bench or Coffey?

He can't play the 2 in college either. They would blow right past him. He is not close to physical enough to play center.

Murphy will graduate before Hurt would arrive on campus.

He would start at the 4. Murphy won’t be here.

Haha, way to do your homework Goldteam.

My bad. I always get the year he graduates mixed up, because he will graduate high school as a 19 year old.

Are you the guy who used to be on the KFAN board?

I think he's more of a 3. Will he be strong enough to play the 4?

He's much more of a mismatch at the 4 and I'll be shocked if he isn't playing the vast majority of his minutes there. He's really skinny right now, but some people put too much emphasis on strength. His length, mobility, and skill level will more than make up for his lack of strength in college. He also has plenty of time to get stronger.

Are we really getting nit picky about a top 5 in state 5*s skill set that will likely be a one and done lottery pick? Boys...

My bad. I always get the year he graduates mixed up, because he will graduate high school as a 19 year old.

Are you the guy who used to be on the KFAN board?

It happens.

Nope, never tried the rube chat. Cory Cove blows.

Coach K and Coach Cal have to fill out their rosters. Maybe they view Hurt as someone who can come in and make some 3's. I believe it to be very risky to go to schools like that because they are all 5 and 4 stars.

We shall see.

You seriously think Hurt is better than the Jones's? you'd take Hurt over Jones? No you wouldn't.

Good Luck to Hurt. I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he can get to the state tourney this year also as the state has not had a chance to see him.

Dude, what is your deal with Hurt? You don't fill out a roster with a top 5 recruit in the country. He can play at any school and you're acting like he's a guy who comes in just to hit a few threes and then ride the bench. The recent negativity toward Hurt is comical. I guess these HOF coaches who keep coming to MN to watch him play don't realize he's nothing more than a tall 3-point shooter.

Dude, what is your deal with Hurt? You don't fill out a roster with a top 5 recruit in the country. He can play at any school and you're acting like he's a guy who comes in just to hit a few threes and then ride the bench. The recent negativity toward Hurt is comical. I guess these HOF coaches who keep coming to MN to watch him play don't realize he's nothing more than a tall 3-point shooter.

Amen. After scouting HS for many many yrs, I can say this with certainty: Hurt is the most spatially gifted player I've seen from MN in yrs. He knows how to use angles and achieve the goal with the most efficient movement than any player in MN in a long time. He uses the athleticism necessary but uses the most efficient movement without extra effort which is why he may look weak, or not as athletic, or even timid. Plus, he has such a pure shot and can shoot with efficiency from anywhere inside 24 feet...anywhere!

I know the word around town down here is that he is going elsewhere. But Hurt Will be a dynamic college player

Amen. After scouting HS for many many yrs, I can say this with certainty: Hurt is the most spatially gifted player I've seen from MN in yrs. He knows how to use angles and achieve the goal with the most efficient movement than any player in MN in a long time. He uses the athleticism necessary but uses the most efficient movement without extra effort which is why he may look weak, or not as athletic, or even timid. Plus, he has such a pure shot and can shoot with efficiency from anywhere inside 24 feet...anywhere!

I know the word around town down here is that he is going elsewhere. But Hurt Will be a dynamic college player

Well said. It's amazing how clueless some people are.

Well said. It's amazing how clueless some people are.

And not to pile here but Hurt did it vs a very good Big 9 conference this year. Austin, Owatonna, Mankato East, and even Mayo w the Madson boys have really good teams....and Hurt is destroying them and stacking up 30-40 pts, triple doubles. He's not beating sister's of the poor.
I guess we 'll see once they play in the playoffs but Daly has this team primed.

And along these same lines, I've never seen the talent and parity and skill amongst mn is bball as I have today. MN HS bball is an upcoming powerhouse that has a great economy to drawn from and wonderful talent pool. It's a unique opportunity that i.hope pitino can take advantage of

Not that it really matters at this point, but is Hurt a strong two-way player in HS? How well does he rebound on the defensive and offensive ends? Does he block shots?

Sounds like his offensive skill set is among the very best and curious if he impacts the game in other ways as well.

If he was throwing down monster dunks like Zion Williamson everyone would love him. People see a tall lanky(ish) white guy and decide he's like every other tall lanky white guy. But news flash there are a lot of tall lanky white guys making a lot of money in the NBA.

Watched the John Marshall vs. Mayo game down in Rochester last night. Hurt only had 10 in the first half, and JM led by 4. Hurt played a lot of point guard in the second half and went off for 27. I don't think he missed a free throw, maybe 10-10. JM ended up winning by 8. His efficiency is crazy good. He didn't force any shots until the second half, and that was maybe 1 or 2 "bad shots." Some college coaches have said that if he came out for the draft right now, he would be a lottery pick this year. I believe it. The game just seems so easy for him; like everyone else is in slow motion and he is in control. He ranks right there with Tyus and Tre as being the best high school players I have ever seen.

Watched the John Marshall vs. Mayo game down in Rochester last night. Hurt only had 10 in the first half, and JM led by 4. Hurt played a lot of point guard in the second half and went off for 27. I don't think he missed a free throw, maybe 10-10. JM ended up winning by 8. His efficiency is crazy good. He didn't force any shots until the second half, and that was maybe 1 or 2 "bad shots." Some college coaches have said that if he came out for the draft right now, he would be a lottery pick this year. I believe it. The game just seems so easy for him; like everyone else is in slow motion and he is in control. He ranks right there with Tyus and Tre as being the best high school players I have ever seen.

Mayo is supposed to have a couple of real good players as well. Are they D1 capable?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

They are very good. They both have Northern Iowa and UWGB offers at this point, and Gabe has a Marquette offer (he recently had 53 in a game with 12 threes). Fran McCaffery was there last night to watch them too. (I told Fran that I didn't recognize him without his beat red face!) They struggled last night, though. JM played a lot of triangle and 2 on them, and Mayo only has one other player that can consistently score. They'll play D1 somewhere for sure. At what level is yet to be seen.

Last edited:

Mayo is supposed to have a couple of real good players as well. Are they D1 capable?

In my opinion, Gabe will likely be recruited fairly hard by the Gophers. He's a very good shooter and can get his shot off pretty easily, so if he's hot, he's tough to stop. Will be interesting to see if he grows at all to help offset his lack of explosiveness. I hope he isn't a big Badger fan given that they're from Wisconsin, because he is the type of player they like to recruit and I'll be really surprised if they don't offer him. Mason is a skilled player in his own right, but isn't Big Ten caliber at this point.

In my opinion, Gabe will likely be recruited fairly hard by the Gophers. He's a very good shooter and can get his shot off pretty easily, so if he's hot, he's tough to stop. Will be interesting to see if he grows at all to help offset his lack of explosiveness. I hope he isn't a big Badger fan given that they're from Wisconsin, because he is the type of player they like to recruit and I'll be really surprised if they don't offer him. Mason is a skilled player in his own right, but isn't Big Ten caliber at this point.

UW had an assistant (Krabbenhoft) in attendance last night in Rochester. I'm sure he was watching Hurt, but that's an extreme long shot, so it's more likely he was really there to get another look at the Madsen twins. I believe the Badgers have shown interest and the twins have visited in Madison on at least a couple occasions. I suspect they like Gabe better than Mason, but I'm not sure he'll get an offer. UW will be relatively tight on scholarships for 2019 and 2020, and they've already offered one of the Davis twins from Lacrosse in the same class. Jonathan Davis is more of a slashing wing, so he could fit well next to Gabe and his shooting, but I don't know that they will have enough scholarships. I would expect UW to spend a fair amount of time watching both sets of twins this spring and summer.

UW had an assistant (Krabbenhoft) in attendance last night in Rochester. I'm sure he was watching Hurt, but that's an extreme long shot, so it's more likely he was really there to get another look at the Madsen twins. I believe the Badgers have shown interest and the twins have visited in Madison on at least a couple occasions. I suspect they like Gabe better than Mason, but I'm not sure he'll get an offer. UW will be relatively tight on scholarships for 2019 and 2020, and they've already offered one of the Davis twins from Lacrosse in the same class. Jonathan Davis is more of a slashing wing, so he could fit well next to Gabe and his shooting, but I don't know that they will have enough scholarships. I would expect UW to spend a fair amount of time watching both sets of twins this spring and summer.

Gotcha. For some reason I didn't even think about Wisconsin's scholarship situation or who else they're recruiting when I posted that.

Is there any chance that Hurt's team can beat Lakeville North? It would be awesome for the state to be able to see Hurt at the state tournament.

Is there any chance that Hurt's team can beat Lakeville North? It would be awesome for the state to be able to see Hurt at the state tournament.

I don't see JM beating North. I've seen them both in person this season, and North is by far the better team. If you were to rank the players on both teams from 1 - 15, JM would have #1, and North would have 12 of the next 14 spots, and that's not an exaggeration. The X-factor is that Hurt is so good, he could single handedly carry JM to a win. The only way that I could see that happening is if Hurt goes for 50+, and I think that would only give JM a 50/50 shot at winning.

Top Bottom