All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

That’s dumb.

Well that's my opinion. Two or three years ago LBJ was the best player in the league, and I don't think anyone would argue that. Now you can make an argument that Harden, KD, LBJ, Davis or Westbrook would be the best player in the league. I'm not saying James isn't good, but I'm saying he isn't the obvious best player in the league anymore. The Cavs would be struggling to make the playoffs in the West, and I think they have no shot at winning the title this year.

I'd agree if we think of Larry Bird as a point guard without the threes. He's not a Rubio, Westbrook, IW, or Nate Mason type point guard. He can handle the ball, see over people and pass to the open man versus the press. He can shoot threes but rarely attempts one and needs time to release versus someone over 6' tall or any ball pressure from anybody. He can shoot open 15 footers and make free throws but all his contested makes are around the basket. Not gonna create offense or a shot in the half court unless he bulls his way to the basket. Scores a lot on rebound put-backs. He is outstanding! But can he be Kevin Durant? I could see that evolution but he's no where near yet. lol No doubt very talented but...

Looks like you saw him play one game and think you have him figured out. He shoots plenty of threes and has a quick release. Can get it off very easily when he wants to, including when he is being pressured. Phenomenal three point shooter, although there is certainly plenty more to his game than just that.

Looks like you saw him play one game and think you have him figured out. He shoots plenty of threes and has a quick release. Can get it off very easily when he wants to, including when he is being pressured. Phenomenal three point shooter, although there is certainly plenty more to his game than just that.

This is what I've seen too. I even called a friend I went to college with who played basketball at JM tonight to ask about him. He said maybe he has gone inside a little more lately, but he's long and athletic and shoots his shot from a point that not many people are going to block his jump shot. Maybe Markannen is a good comparison, but I could see a little KD as well. The last game I saw him play, he didn't have a good game, and JM barely won. But even though he struggled a bit, he still showed me something I hadn't seen from him the other times I watched him play. He had to bring the ball down the court in that game and I was surprised how good his handle was. He had a real good athlete guarding him and he was able to go where he wanted to against him. One play in particular he had a 6'4 football player who could jump and run guarding him. He got the ball after a basket and JM cleared out to let him bring it up the court against a man to man full court. He brought it up no problem, went by the kid when he got past half court with his left hand, and went in for a layup with two other guys coming to help out. It's a play you see a guard make, or maybe a real good wing who is 6'5 or 6'6....but this kid is a 6'10 junior in high school. Who knows if he will ever be as good as Markannen, but I do think he will play in the NBA someday and he would be an awesome get for the Gophers. If you get a chance to go watch him play Saturday afternoon, I'd go. It's in the small arena down at Mayo because of the division 3 women's championship unfortunately...but it's still a great venue...just fewer seats. I don't think JM will make it to state, and who knows if he'll be back at JM next season. Not that I've heard anything, but he is the type of basketball player I could see going to play at a basketball prep school. I hope he doesn't, because I'd love to see him playa few more times next year.

Thanks for analysis. Whether or not he becomes a Gopher very excited to see how his game develops once at the college level. Here's link for game information http://www.johnmarshallrockets.org/page/show/1039848-boys-basketball

I'm not a scout or anything....I just disagreed with that guys assessment. His release point is way above his head on his jump shot, I thought he shot very well with range from the three point line, and that he wasn't scared to shot 3 point shots. He's very athletic as well. Not to rip other high school players, but JM lost 2 or 3 players from last years team who are probably playing college basketball. There PG, SG and another big kid who transferred in from Albert Lea. What I'm trying to say is that every game he is getting played with a box and one or triangle and two against him because JM doesn't have doesn't have a lot to go with him....at least compared to other good teams. One last thing, when I talked to my friend in Rochester about Hurt playing at the U, he said he thought there was a good shot of it happening. That was before the Lynch situation and Coffey getting hurt, so maybe things have changed. It's also not like he is super plugged in to the JM team either.

Will their next game be on the cube or anything like that?

How did Hurt do in the 1AAAA final today? Looks like JM had trouble mustering points.

How did Hurt do in the 1AAAA final today? Looks like JM had trouble mustering points.
Wondering the same thing. I'm thinking Lakeville North by 15 or more, but it would be great if Rochester JM came out with a win.

Lakeville won and it was anyones game all the way. Hurt does not have a ton of help. It was basically a 3-5 point game the whole way. Each team had chances to salt it away. JM was up 6 in the second half and just couldn't pull away. I heard parts of the game on the radio as I had a prior commitment or I would have made the drive to watch it. . I believe Hurt had somewhere around 25 and 20.

the difference for LN every time is they have 400 more students in their high school. That's the 1 or 2 player difference every time.

I was hoping Hurt could make it to the cities so they could see him play and I am right next door.

Lakeville won and it was anyones game all the way. Hurt does not have a ton of help. It was basically a 3-5 point game the whole way. Each team had chances to salt it away. JM was up 6 in the second half and just couldn't pull away. I heard parts of the game on the radio as I had a prior commitment or I would have made the drive to watch it. . I believe Hurt had somewhere around 25 and 20.

the difference for LN every time is they have 400 more students in their high school. That's the 1 or 2 player difference every time.

I was hoping Hurt could make it to the cities so they could see him play and I am right next door.

Daly has them playing good defense but it's their 4th and 5th starters where LN had the advantage. Jm didn't have the depth and ran out of gas. LN 5 starters were more equal in talent compared to JM.

Regarding the game, LN has so many more weapons. Never will understand why they slowed the game down...the tempo is why JM was ahead nearly the whole game. I can't find a box score but it was like 22 to 17 with less than 2 minutes to go in the half. LN and JM plodding along which was very much in JM's favor. JM has nobody to play the point. They can dribble well enough to get the ball up the floor but every entry pass is 40 feet from the hoop. Matthew is clearly their best point guard and best passer. Having said that, Tyler Wahl picked Matthew's pocket under two minutes and went down for a layup that may have been the deciding factor in the outcome.

Owatonna game Matthew was 10 for 10 from the line...today he missed too many free throws...front end of one and one late, 2nd of two in the last minute and a few earlier. Had a three early but I don't believe any others and missed the tying three with under 10 seconds. Did execute a nice step back to get the shot off. Then missed the final 3 after the ship had sailed.

Posted up one time and got charging foul for establishing position with his butt. One ref maybe called 10 charges in the game. LN had massive foul problems but played 10 guys or so in their normal rotation.
Exciting game. Should not have been close. LN: Blascziek, Lewko, Jensen, Wahl could all easily reach 20 points if they went up and down like they typically do.

Can Hurt play the 3 in college? Am dreaming about a starting five of:

Washington
Coffey
Hurt
Curry
Oturu

That group would match up with any team. Let's play!

Washington
Coffey
Hurt
Curry
Oturu

Ya, for sure. He's only going to get better. Right now, not all the time, but most of the time he defends the opponents worst offensive player. 1. To keep him out of foul trouble. 2. To allow him to play a one man zone near the basket to alter and block shots on penetration. 3. He can chase rebounds without any traffic. The guy he guards often drifts out, but can't shoot and doesn't touch the ball much. Nobody posts up anybody, so there is nobody down there on defense to get in his way or keep him off the glass.

He gets beat on blow bys but he is quick enough to chase and often block the shot. That'll change when more guys he guards dunk and are quicker. But, certainly a team defense can condition helpside to be ready. He is going to be tough to shoot over from three. I think the more he played guys quicker, with his length he'd figure out angles and not allow any straight line drives. Confident he can defend the right matchups on the perimeter.

Offensively: he handles well, passes well and can shoot threes effortlessly. He can put it on the floor but has trouble creating a one dribble path to the basket.

100% he prefers to play on the perimeter. Spends 80% of his time there.

Ya, for sure. He's only going to get better. Right now, not all the time, but most of the time he defends the opponents worst offensive player. 1. To keep him out of foul trouble. 2. To allow him to play a one man zone near the basket to alter and block shots on penetration. 3. He can chase rebounds without any traffic. The guy he guards often drifts out, but can't shoot and doesn't touch the ball much. Nobody posts up anybody, so there is nobody down there on defense to get in his way or keep him off the glass.

He gets beat on blow bys but he is quick enough to chase and often block the shot. That'll change when more guys he guards dunk and are quicker. But, certainly a team defense can condition helpside to be ready. He is going to be tough to shoot over from three. I think the more he played guys quicker, with his length he'd figure out angles and not allow any straight line drives. Confident he can defend the right matchups on the perimeter.

Offensively: he handles well, passes well and can shoot threes effortlessly. He can put it on the floor but has trouble creating a one dribble path to the basket.

100% he prefers to play on the perimeter. Spends 80% of his time there.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like playing some 3 is a possibility for him, possibly even a prefrrence. Perfect.

The stakes are just so much higher for Pitino in this recruitment compared to the blue blood coaches. Hurt chooses us it is potentially a career changer for Pitino and program changer for the Gophs.

Whether he chooses or doesn't choose a blue blood, they will just move on with all their other 4 and 5 star recruits without missing much of a beat. I exaggerate a bit, but not much.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like playing some 3 is a possibility for him, possibly even a prefrrence. Perfect.

The stakes are just so much higher for Pitino in this recruitment compared to the blue blood coaches. Hurt chooses us it is potentially a career changer for Pitino and program changer for the Gophs.

Whether he chooses or doesn't choose a blue blood, they will just move on with all their other 4 and 5 star recruits without missing much of a beat. I exaggerate a bit, but not much.

All true.

Washington
Coffey
Hurt
Curry
Oturu

Certainly skilled enough to play the 3, but I’d personally argue he’s more of a mismatch when he plays the 4. I think he is also better suited to defend 4s, especially as he gets stronger. I’d definitely play him at the 4 if I was the coach.

I think we still have as good of a chance as anybody to get them. In the last few years elite recruits are seemingly just as likely to spend a year at X directional school as they are to spend a year at Duke or Kentucky. The current scandals that are seemingly all over the blue bloods help us too.

Do you really think there is a real chance they get this kid? Would be huge to get him in here to play alongside Washington, Coffee and Oturo.

To be honest, I kinda feel as if the chances are slim, but I admittedly don't follow the recruiting very hard. Just seems getting tops guys in here will be hard until they
quit having seasons like this past one every couple years.

Do you really think there is a real chance they get this kid? Would be huge to get him in here to play alongside Washington, Coffee and Oturo.

To be honest, I kinda feel as if the chances are slim, but I admittedly don't follow the recruiting very hard. Just seems getting tops guys in here will be hard until they

No one knows. My gut tells me there is like a 10-15% chance, which isn't terrible. Gonna come down to how much he wants to play with his brother and what Michael's opinion of Pitino, the team, and the U is. If Michael loves it here, that certainly helps.

No one knows. My gut tells me there is like a 10-15% chance, which isn't terrible. Gonna come down to how much he wants to play with his brother and what Michael's opinion of Pitino, the team, and the U is. If Michael loves it here, that certainly helps.

I think he's good enough to play here, and I hope we get him.

If he doesn't play here, it's obvious he hates his brother.

I'd go with slim.

http://www.startribune.com/matthew-hurt-talks-nba-goals-and-watching-his-brother-at-the-u/467018843/

When Matthew Hurt watches the college basketball programs recruiting him the hardest, the area that seems to interest him more than anything is which teams can best prepare him for the NBA.

“My goal is to make it to the NBA,” said Hurt, who exploded for 51 points and 17 rebounds in leading Rochester John Marshall Thursday to a win against Armstrong in the Rotary U.S. Bank Holiday Classic at the Mayo Civic Center. “I’m trying to get with the right coaches who can lead me in that direction.”

The 6-foot-9, 215-pound five-star Class of 2019 forward added the last of the blue bloods to his list of scholarship offers after Kentucky coach John Calipari joined North Carolina’s Roy Williams in attendance to see Hurt’s 48-point performance Dec. 14 against Red Wing.

Calipari’s pitch is that Kentucky is the No. 1 program to help Hurt achieve his goal of being drafted into the NBA after his freshman year in college. While Hurt doesn’t have a favorite school right now, he says the Wildcats being a one-and-done factory is a big plus.

“They’re a great one-and-done school,” he said. “Their coaches especially run a really good system. They have really successful players with my kind of skill set. They have great one-and-done players and their coaches are great. Facilities are nice.”

I just logged in to laugh at Hurt being one and done.

Ok, carry on!

I just logged in to laugh at Hurt being one and done.

Ok, carry on!

Matthew Hurt is 6-10 and he is able to effortlessly shoot 3's. It's a choice, anybody can be one and done. If he decides that is best for him, my guess he is drafted in round one. Drafts are based on potential. He has an extraordinary amount of upside and versatility.

Top Bottom