All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

per Marcus:

-- Rochester John Marshall five-star 2019 forward Matthew Hurt, a top Gophers target, has Louisville assistant David Padgett, Iowa assistant Kirk Speraw and Notre Dame coach Mike Brew and assistant Rod Balanis in town for an in-home visit Monday.

Duke assistants Jon Scheyer and Jeff Capel will see Hurt on Wednesday (Coach K is still recovering from a knee surgery). And North Carolina coach Roy Williams and assistant Hubert Davis visits Rochester for Hurt on Sept. 18.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-daniel-oturu-and-others-this-week/443800233/

Go Gophers!!

This was bound to happen. I'm really not that worried as he will either want to stay home or he will not and he will go to one of those schools. There isn't much else we can do about it except put the best foot forward we can. He is a talented kid who will choose what he wants.

If he ends up at Louisville, I'm gonna spike Rick Pitino's Brylcreem with depilatory. :mad:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Since school has the started, the rumblings around town about Matt leaving are becoming pretty clear. Sorry guys

Since school has the started, the rumblings around town about Matt leaving are becoming pretty clear. Sorry guys
I think you're confusing rumblings. The rumbling you hear is the pile hammer at the new project at 52 and 2nd Street.

I am so glad that we have you here to set us straight. Thank you for your service to the community.

I suppose the town will miss him when he heads up to "the cities" to go to school at "the U".

Like Kobe, LeBron and KG I see him going straight to the NBA.

Hope the NBA doesn't change the draft age before 2019.

We should be safe with that since the current NBA CBA runs through the 2025 season and any changes on draft age need to be collectively bargained between the NBA and NBAPA. What we do need to be worried about is Kansas and Duke and Kentucky and all the other blue bloods who will be pursuing him like hyenas after a wounded antelope.

My best guess would be a decision has already been made by Matthew. He either has a strong desire/pride to play for the home state or he wants to experience playing at a blue-blood program. My point is the U won't be in a recruiting battle if the kid doesn't dream of being a Gopher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a highly rated recruit like Matthew is, we all knew it would come down to Minnesota vs the Duke's and Kansas's of the world. In the end though hopefully his family ties, and his love for the U is the strongest part. I feel like out of all the big time recruits Minnesota has had, Matthew is our best bet to come here.

This was bound to happen. I'm really not that worried as he will either want to stay home or he will not and he will go to one of those schools. There isn't much else we can do about it except put the best foot forward we can. He is a talented kid who will choose what he wants.

Exactly. Worth noting that he may be interested in playing with his brother as well.

Being a highly rated recruit like Matthew is, we all knew it would come down to Minnesota vs the Duke's and Kansas's of the world. In the end though hopefully his family ties, and his love for the U is the strongest part. I feel like out of all the big time recruits Minnesota has had, Matthew is our best bet to come here.

Matthew's (hopeful) decision to come to the U could very well be impacted by family ties, love of the U, etc, but it could (and hopefully should) be impacted on the U being a great place to showcase his talent, play for a coaching staff that is clearly developing players, play for a program that will (hopefully) be coming off multiple NCAA appearances in a row, a program with fantastic facilities, etc. The hometown angle will obviously help, but this isn't a Rickert/Monson situation where Ricket had to put a lot of stock in the hope that that staff could develop players and get to the Tournament, this staff is starting to have actual proof points that will be attractive to a player like Matthew.

Go Gophers!!

My best guess would be a decision has already been made by Matthew. He either has a strong desire/pride to play for the home state or he wants to experience playing at a blue-blood program. My point is the U won't be in a recruiting battle if the kid doesn't dream of being a Gopher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. It doesnt have to be his dream to play for the Gophers, it can become a dream. Kids can be convinced and sold on numerous recruiting pitches, one of them being to play in front of your family, and for your state.

2019...so he is a junior. Hopefully he doesn't draw this thing out as I'm already tired of hearing which coaches have visited him recently.

He comes here if his brother blooms this year.

He comes here if his brother blooms this year.

One silver lining to the Curry injury (which definitely still sucks) is it will likely give Hurt more playing time. If he takes advantage of that extra time, it will probably improve our chances with his brother.

One silver lining to the Curry injury (which definitely still sucks) is it will likely give Hurt more playing time. If he takes advantage of that extra time, it will probably improve our chances with his brother.

another silver lining would be an extra year of eligibility.

Regardless of any silver lining from the Curry injury, it would concern me if Matt's Gopher choice was based on his brother's performance. That would be reminiscent of the Ellenson brothers, where Henry cooled on the Gophers because his family wasnt satisfied that Wally hadnt become a star for the Gophers. I would hope Michael and the rest of the Hurt family doesnt use Michael's success, or non-success as influence to sway Matt's decision one way or another.

If the Gophers have a successful season, say top 3 B1G, and Michael plays a significant role (7+ pts a game) it would probably be enough for Matthew to be encouraged about he and his brother being on the court at the same time. That would probably be very intriguing for anyone to be able to play with their brother.

The reactions to this post are pretty funny.

Thanks for some insight into what the community around him (aka, the people that actually interact with the kid on a daily basis) is gathering. This is more useful information that the negatives (dpo, tilting at windmills, as usual) have provided in all of their posts combined, on any topic. Really, that's what everyone comes here to read, whether the info is pleasing to them or not.

The reactions to this post are pretty funny.

Thanks for some insight into what the community around him (aka, the people that actually interact with the kid on a daily basis) is gathering. This is more useful information that the negatives (dpo, tilting at windmills, as usual) have provided in all of their posts combined, on any topic. Really, that's what everyone comes here to read, whether the info is pleasing to them or not.

How on Earth am I being negative? I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it is negative when I choose not to assume that every 5-star recruit is going to select a different school.

Also, just to inform you, there is almost zero chance that the poster you're quoting has any sort of inside information whatsoever. He's posting it to get a rise out of people, and you're lapping it up like an obedient dog, while simultaneously insulting me for no reason.

Top Bottom