All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

per The Athletic:

If Roy Williams has not often looked to Rochester, Minn., to restock his rosters, he does now; the North Carolina coach has visited the area six times as part of wooing Matthew Hurt, the coveted Class of 2019 forward. Krzyzewski has visited twice and his top Duke lieutenants, Jeff Capel and Jon Scheyer, also have come through. Kansas coach Bill Self has stopped by. Indiana, Kentucky and UCLA also are among schools Richard Hurt identifies as “working the hardest” to recruit his son. Minnesota, naturally, is on that list, too, and while Matthew is able to view that experience through the lens of his older brother’s time on campus, and while there is a draw to once again playing with an older sibling at the college level, pragmatism drives this dynamic above all. “He’s looking for the right fit, in terms of programs that can help him,” Richard Hurt says of Matthew. “I think there are things he’s going to have to tap into to get the most out of himself. He’s looking for the right fit in terms of coaching staff, in terms of players. But it goes back to he wants to be able to win at a high level, he wants to go some place that has tradition, and he wants someone to facilitate his goals to be a professional.”

https://theathletic.com/142069/2017/11/02/could-this-really-be-minnesotas-moment-oh-you-betcha/

Go Gophers!!

per The Athletic:

If Roy Williams has not often looked to Rochester, Minn., to restock his rosters, he does now; the North Carolina coach has visited the area six times as part of wooing Matthew Hurt, the coveted Class of 2019 forward. Krzyzewski has visited twice and his top Duke lieutenants, Jeff Capel and Jon Scheyer, also have come through. Kansas coach Bill Self has stopped by. Indiana, Kentucky and UCLA also are among schools Richard Hurt identifies as “working the hardest” to recruit his son. Minnesota, naturally, is on that list, too, and while Matthew is able to view that experience through the lens of his older brother’s time on campus, and while there is a draw to once again playing with an older sibling at the college level, pragmatism drives this dynamic above all. “He’s looking for the right fit, in terms of programs that can help him,” Richard Hurt says of Matthew. “I think there are things he’s going to have to tap into to get the most out of himself. He’s looking for the right fit in terms of coaching staff, in terms of players. But it goes back to he wants to be able to win at a high level, he wants to go some place that has tradition, and he wants someone to facilitate his goals to be a professional.”

https://theathletic.com/142069/2017/11/02/could-this-really-be-minnesotas-moment-oh-you-betcha/

Go Gophers!!

Well that doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he'll be a Gopher in 2 years. But the winning and tradition are what makes Blue Bloods Blue. We just can't match that if it's what he's really looking for.

Well that doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he'll be a Gopher in 2 years. But the winning and tradition are what makes Blue Bloods Blue. We just can't match that if it's what he's really looking for.

Winning at a high level is achievable, assuming that means winning the B1G and going on a tourney run, no reason that can't be done at the U with the current guys and adding the future recruits + Hurt.

The tradition piece is kind of fluff, before Coach K did Duke really have tradition? You can point to what has been achieved at Minnesota in the past, the seasons in the 90's that don't exist any longer. You can recruit against this piece and start your own tradition/culture.

"But it goes back to he wants to be able to win at a high level, he wants to go some place that has tradition, and he wants someone to facilitate his goals to be a professional.”

How do you recruit against the ability of Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, and UNC of getting guys to the next level if Pitino has never done it and Minnesota has not done it in a long time? I'm not saying its impossible to get over this hurdle and get a guy like Hurt to commit before Coffey or Washington have stellar careers and go pro, but that takes a lot of blind trust from a kid who has millions of dollars on the line to believe Pitino can put him in the best position to go pro and be a good pro.

I'm not sure how you can take those quotes any other way than an indication that Minnesota doesn't have much of a shot. "He wants to win at a high level, and go someplace that has tradition," is telling. Not saying it's an intentional shot across the bow of Pitino and MN, but it might as well be.

And before reading that article I didn't know Richard Hurt was co-owner of the D1 program, which, we should note, is Adidas-affiliated. My bet is Matthew ends up at Kansas, which fits the winning/tradition/professional development/Adidas superfecta, while still keeping him relatively close to home.

and he wants someone to facilitate his goals to be a professional.

If that's one of his primary goals, Gophers don't stand a chance against Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina or Duke.

Not an encouraging article at all. However, one could swing it as the Gophers giving him a good path to the NBA, because he could potentially get more of a star role immediately here than he would at the other places.

The tradition piece is kind of fluff, before Coach K did Duke really have tradition?

Krzyzewski has taken it to a whole new level, obviously, but before him, Duke had two national runner-up teams, 4 Final Fours, 5 Elite Eights, 5 Sweet Sixteens, and 10 conference regular season champions. Even if you ignore what they have done in the last 37 years (namely 5 national titles), they still have vastly more tradition than Minnesota.

If that's one of his primary goals, Gophers don't stand a chance against Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina or Duke.

Not an encouraging article at all. However, one could swing it as the Gophers giving him a good path to the NBA, because he could potentially get more of a star role immediately here than he would at the other places.

If his brother doesn't take a big jump this year that doesn't bode well for the, "facilitate his goals to be a professional," requirement. Michael develops into a vital contributor after showing great improvement; chance for brothers to play together; lots of playing time; Amir achieving Whalen status, and the U would at least have a pulse.

I'm not sure how you can take those quotes any other way than an indication that Minnesota doesn't have much of a shot. "He wants to win at a high level, and go someplace that has tradition," is telling. Not saying it's an intentional shot across the bow of Pitino and MN, but it might as well be.

It feels that way now, but fast forward 3 months and envision Hurt in the stands at a jam packed, crazy Williams Arena where #12 Minnesota plays #1 Michigan St down to the wire in a crucial B1G game, with his brother playing a significant 10 minutes or so as a reserve. Then after the game they walk across the street to the sparkling brand new, state of the art practice facility to chill out.

Point being, it seems pretty likely that two major factors here will be how our season goes and how his brother progresses in the program. The outlook for Minnesota as a program could be a lot rosier by this February if we hang around the top 15 or so all year (or could take a nosedive if we suffer some more injuries or fail to meet expectations).

It feels that way now, but fast forward 3 months and envision Hurt in the stands at a jam packed, crazy Williams Arena where #12 Minnesota plays #1 Michigan St down to the wire in a crucial B1G game, with his brother playing a significant 10 minutes or so as a reserve. Then after the game they walk across the street to the sparkling brand new, state of the art practice facility to chill out.

Point being, it seems pretty likely that two major factors here will be how our season goes and how his brother progresses in the program. The outlook for Minnesota as a program could be a lot rosier by this February if we hang around the top 15 or so all year (or could take a nosedive if we suffer some more injuries or fail to meet expectations).

I see this as literally the only way we get back in the mix. We stay in the top 10 all year, beat sparty, go to elite 8 or FF, promote our brand new practice facility, and guys like Murphy, mason and lynch are getting notice and going pro.

If we jam the barn, and win the high profiles games and hover in the top 10, we may be able to sway him.

However, as it is, word around town is absolutely no chance.

This whole hurt situation really reminds me of the Ellinson situation. Wally was worse than Hurt but I don't think by that much.

This whole hurt situation really reminds me of the Ellinson situation. Wally was worse than Hurt but I don't think by that much.

They younger Hurt is going to be a marginal collegiate player. All this wasted bandwidth.......................

Don’t give up we have a chance. This family does love the U not like some other families like the Jones.

per Shooter:

Gophers basketball sophomore Michael Hurt played with younger brother Matthew for two years at Rochester John Marshall.

“Loved playing with him — I got to play with him two years in high school and those were my two favorite years in high school,” Michael said.

Michael would love to play with Matthew again at the University of Minnesota, where he is a 6-7, 220-pound sophomore.

Matthew, 6-9, 205, will have his pick to play anywhere he wants in college, including Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas, all of which he recently unofficially visited. Matthew is so talented that he could be headed for the NBA after one year in college.

Michael is recruiting Matthew for Minnesota.

“If we continue to win here and have a winning program here, and especially with a lot of the guys we have, like Nate
(Mason), Reggie (Lynch), Amir (Coffey), if we can show that we can make NBA players from here, I think that’s something he’s looking for,” Michael said. “He wants to play in the NBA, so he’s looking for a school, if potentially that’s how it goes, one and done.”

Matthew currently has no favorites, his brother said.

The pair worked out together in August.

“We had great chemistry (in high school), loved playing off each other,” Michael said. “I love to spend time with him.”

Who’s the better player?

Michael paused, then smiled wryly.

“Right now? I’d probably say myself, but he’s going at such an exponential rate,” Michael said.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/0...hip-model-tough-to-copy-twins-gm-levine-says/

Go Gophers!!

"Who’s the better player?"

“Right now? I’d probably say myself, but he’s going at such an exponential rate,” Michael said.

Whoa, Matthew was better as an 8th grader. Maybe we just discovered Michael's problem. Goodness. Put Matthew on the Gophers this year and everybody is picking us for the Final Four.

"Who’s the better player?"

Whoa, Matthew was better as an 8th grader. Maybe we just discovered Michael's problem. Goodness. Put Matthew on the Gophers this year and everybody is picking us for the Final Four.

Lets be real here, do you actually think the older brother is going to admit that the younger brother is better? Could be sarcasm from you, but I'm really not sure. As an older brother there is no way in h*** he is ever going to say that his younger brother is better than him at anything.

Lets be real here, do you actually think the older brother is going to admit that the younger brother is better? Could be sarcasm from you, but I'm really not sure. As an older brother there is no way in h*** he is ever going to say that his younger brother is better than him at anything.

Ya no **** as an oldest I know exactly how Michael feels. Deep down Michael knows it so he trapped between a rock and a hard place with that question. Anything that reporter a POS for asking him that

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I know it wont happen often but how does Mitthew do against players as mobile and as tall as he is? In the highlight video rarely were players guarding him tall enough to get a hand in his vision on his shots. (I mean he is ranked #5 so it must be pretty good)

Watching that video is like watching me play my 3-year-old daughter in the basement on our little tykes hoop. I toss up the three to the head sign when I nail one in her face from downtown. I go cost to cost on my rebounds and lay it off the glass and trot back on defense like no big deal. I'm good.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Nice 1-2 punch with him and #35. Probably not the greatest competition but you can see the skill set and how well he moves for someone his size. Here's hoping he decides to stay home.

Hurt was at the Western Carolina game:

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Nice to see Michael getting some love. He's going to be a very good player over the next few years.

Seems odd to complain that players aren’t as big and mobile as him.

No one hates on Kevin Durant for that. Or Shaq. Or LeBron. Or (insert anyone)

Would I like to see a 6’9 wing guard him? Yes. Find me that guy and I’ll want him to be a Gopher also

Go Gophers!!

Seems odd to complain that players aren’t as big and mobile as him.

No one hates on Kevin Durant for that. Or Shaq. Or LeBron. Or (insert anyone)

Would I like to see a 6’9 wing guard him? Yes. Find me that guy and I’ll want him to be a Gopher also

Wasn't meant as a complaint. If he can still do what he's doing but do it against Amir Coffey, Miles Bridges or pick a Duke or North Carolina SF/PF then he will be NBA bound. Thats all my comment about size was meant for. not so much to knock him as a question of just how good is he. And I hope he is a Gopher when all is said and done it'd be pretty awesome.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom