All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

per Keeping it Heel: UNC Recruiting: Gauging the Tar Heels chances to land Matthew Hurt

So where do the Tar Heels stand in the Hurt lottery?

Unfortunately, recent trends suggest that when North Carolina is battling for an elite recruit with Duke, Kansas or Kentucky, the Tar Heels usually end up on the outside looking in. And with all three programs involved, it seems like a long shot at best.

And although Minnesota is not a perennial basketball power, all indications are that Hurt is strongly considering staying in his home state and playing college hoops with his brother. I don’t think it’s what he will ultimately choose to do, but I would be remiss to discount the Gophers’ chances at snagging Hurt.

But perhaps it bodes well for the Tar Heels that Williams and his staff have been around since the start, building a relationship with Hurt for nearly two years. And it can’t hurt that North Carolina’s 2018 recruiting class is one of its best in a handful of years.

Still, though, it won’t be easy to pry Hurt out of his home state and keep him away from the other three blue bloods (Villanova isn’t a blue blood, no matter what anyone tells you). However, you’ve got to be in it to win it, and the Tar Heels have at least positioned themselves in a place of contention.

https://keepingitheel.com/2018/04/04/unc-recruiting-gauging-tar-heels-chances-land-matthew-hurt/

Go Gophers!!

per Keeping it Heel: UNC Recruiting: Gauging the Tar Heels chances to land Matthew Hurt

Unfortunately, recent trends suggest that when North Carolina is battling for an elite recruit with Duke, Kansas or Kentucky, the Tar Heels usually end up on the outside looking in. And with all three programs involved, it seems like a long shot at best.

And although Minnesota is not a perennial basketball power, all indications are that Hurt is strongly considering staying in his home state and playing college hoops with his brother. I don’t think it’s what he will ultimately choose to do, but I would be remiss to discount the Gophers’ chances at snagging Hurt.

But perhaps it bodes well for the Tar Heels that Williams and his staff have been around since the start, building a relationship with Hurt for nearly two years. And it can’t hurt that North Carolina’s 2018 recruiting class is one of its best in a handful of years.

Still, though, it won’t be easy to pry Hurt out of his home state and keep him away from the other three blue bloods (Villanova isn’t a blue blood, no matter what anyone tells you). However, you’ve got to be in it to win it, and the Tar Heels have at least positioned themselves in a place of contention.

https://keepingitheel.com/2018/04/04/unc-recruiting-gauging-tar-heels-chances-land-matthew-hurt/

Go Gophers!!

There is no doubt UNC is "in it to win it." Sold the soul of a once proud public university to do it for 20 years. Most horrific administrative scandal of my lifetime. My blood is still boiling. Nice seeing them go down in round 2 this year.

Cheaters never win. Winners never cheat- except for Duke.

Go Gophers!!
”strongly considering staying at home”. Nice to hear but where and or when has he said that?

I fully expect to open GH one of these fine days and see that he has committed to Kansas, or some such. I have no insight other than reading between the lines of comments from him and his dad. If the case, would be nice to let the coaches know so they could move on. Probably too negative a view on my part, but is how I feel.

I fully expect to open GH one of these fine days and see that he has committed to Kansas, or some such. I have no insight other than reading between the lines of comments from him and his dad. If the case, would be nice to let the coaches know so they could move on. Probably too negative a view on my part, but is how I feel.

I think it will be Kansas also, they have been here more than any one else to see Matt play. It is also close enough that the family can get to many of his games.

I think it will be Kansas also, they have been here more than any one else to see Matt play. It is also close enough that the family can get to many of his games.

And it's an Adidas school, and Old Man Hurt is part owner of D1 Minnesota, which plays on the Grassroots circuit sponsored by...Adidas. I think that connection will play a larger role than we think, especially if Matt intends to be one-and-done and will be signing a shoe contract around April 2020.

If you are only going to play one year, why not play that one year with your brother?
Why not become a home town hero?
Great new facilities?
Pitino has show his players develop and get better, but I doubt this would be something he'd recognize, and he might not think Pitino can do it quick enough?

On the other hand,

Why not play for a team with a legit chance at an NCAA title?

That one factor is a big one and without the brother factor, I don't think we'd have a snowballs chance in hell. With the brother factor, I'd say our chances are around 15-20%.

If you are only going to play one year, why not play that one year with your brother?
Why not become a home town hero?
Great new facilities?
Pitino has show his players develop and get better, but I doubt this would be something he'd recognize, and he might not think Pitino can do it quick enough?

On the other hand,

Why not play for a team with a legit chance at an NCAA title?

That one factor is a big one and without the brother factor, I don't think we'd have a snowballs chance in hell. With the brother factor, I'd say our chances are around 15-20%.

I think you are talking about the Gophers on both points!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And it's an Adidas school, and Old Man Hurt is part owner of D1 Minnesota, which plays on the Grassroots circuit sponsored by...Adidas. I think that connection will play a larger role than we think, especially if Matt intends to be one-and-done and will be signing a shoe contract around April 2020.

Adidas is also tied to the coach indictments, so maybe Kansas isn't such a sure thing.

Ding ding. Matthew will sign w an Adidas school....almost guaranteed

So Adidas is paying a recruit's family to have the recruit sign with one of their sponsored schools. Seems like a direct rule violation. Matthew, stay away from any Adidas school, or else you'll risk getting dragged into the media as a recruit taking illegal money.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Why are Kentucky, NC and Duke even wasting their time. As Nike Schools don't they know they don't have a chance in signing him?

So Adidas is paying a recruit's family to have the recruit sign with one of their sponsored schools. Seems like a direct rule violation. Matthew, stay away from any Adidas school, or else you'll risk getting dragged into the media as a recruit taking illegal money.

Not really rules violation but it is basically laying down the ground work for a future endorsement contract based on how he does in the future and draft status, having to consider that in your college choice is just so wrong in my mind.

Breaking News: Gopher Basketball announces they will be switching to an Adidas sponsorship with the beginning of the 2019 season.
In other news: Rick Pitino will also become the Gophers new associate head coach.
:rolleyes:

If true that is sad, being a senior in high school and everything is already a business transaction.

He even said that in an interview back in Dec that his recruitment IS a business transaction....leaving MN on outside looking in. Virtually no shot at him.

Breaking News: Gopher Basketball announces they will be switching to an Adidas sponsorship with the beginning of the 2019 season.
In other news: Rick Pitino will also become the Gophers new associate head coach.
:rolleyes:

Really a great interview with Rick Pitino on Dan Patrick today. Talked about who the best coaches are and how they do it. Said he would like to coach again because he loves it and says he has never cheated, passed the lie detector test. Said no one will touch him as University presidents do not like FBI AND COACHES in the same sentence. Said Richard told him to stay retired.

Really a great interview with Rick Pitino on Dan Patrick today. Talked about who the best coaches are and how they do it. Said he would like to coach again because he loves it and says he has never cheated, passed the lie detector test. Said no one will touch him as University presidents do not like FBI AND COACHES in the same sentence. Said Richard told him to stay retired.

Just out of curiousity, who did he say were the best coaches?

The lie detector thing means nothing to me. Didn't Gary Ridgway pass one too? I think the real reason schools won't touch him is the sheer number of scandals he's been involved in. There are like three in the last ten years. I wouldn't want him to have anything to do with our basketball program in any official capacity. He should listen to Richard.

I have a question, say young Hurt goes to a Nike school, can't he still sign with adidas once he goes pro? Or vice versa?

The lie detector thing means nothing to me. Didn't Gary Ridgway pass one too? I think the real reason schools won't touch him is the sheer number of scandals he's been involved in. There are like three in the last ten years. I wouldn't want him to have anything to do with our basketball program in any official capacity. He should listen to Richard.

OFF TOPIC - OFF TOPIC
As an FYI - lie detectors are complete garbage.

Often - the worst criminals are able to pass them easily. We all know the people who are such liars that they can do it without thinking, they pass. There are also the people in the world who get nervous when they see cop car (even when they are doing nothing wrong). Additionally, if anyone comes out and says "I passed a lie detector, I can prove it". That usually means that they passed one given by their lawyers and it's not uncommon for them to take multiple tests until they pass.

It's garbage, it's used to put pressure on people into talking. It's used as a tool.

I have a question, say young Hurt goes to a Nike school, can't he still sign with adidas once he goes pro? Or vice versa?

This is just sad... that this is even a real consideration.

Top Bottom