All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

If 6-9 Rochester John Marshall basketball junior Matthew Hurt were to choose Duke, the Blue Devils could have three Minnesotans — Gary Trent Jr. and Tre Jones from Apple Valley are committed — playing together. Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Minnesota also are among considerations for Hurt, whose 6-7 brother Michael is a sophomore for the Gophers.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/3...enum-credits-chris-weinke-in-his-development/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

If 6-9 Rochester John Marshall basketball junior Matthew Hurt were to choose Duke, the Blue Devils could have three Minnesotans — Gary Trent Jr. and Tre Jones from Apple Valley are committed — playing together. Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Minnesota also are among considerations for Hurt, whose 6-7 brother Michael is a sophomore for the Gophers.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/3...enum-credits-chris-weinke-in-his-development/

Go Gophers!!

Shooters ****in retarded they're all one and done

Maybe with the fbi we will actually have a chance at some of these prospects. Wonder how much tre and trent got to go to duke.

Maybe with the fbi we will actually have a chance at some of these prospects. Wonder how much tre and trent got to go to duke.
From a optimistic point of view could be like baseball in 1991 when we got Chilli Davis and Jack Morris because all the owners colluded together to bring salaries down. Sometimes crime does pay

Not providing any information I can back up with facts, just pure speculation for the reason of conversation:

Hurt seems to fit the bill of the kind of recruit that would have been pursued by illegal means had this FBI investigation not gone through. Top 10 recruit in his class, playing on the Adidas circuit for AAU ball, Adidas schools like Louisville, Indiana, and Kansas all heavily in the mix.

Shooters ****in retarded they're all one and done

He's right. They are all from Minnesota and left/are leaving. Why can't that be an issue? Can you imagine the impact on the program/university if they could land these guys? Why can't that be discussed? Honestly curious.

What does one-and-done have to do with anything? Are you implying the Gophers somehow benefit from not getting players immediately good enough to play in the NBA? The best possible advertisement for other top recruits is seeing a kid go one-and-done.

Not providing any information I can back up with facts, just pure speculation for the reason of conversation:

Hurt seems to fit the bill of the kind of recruit that would have been pursued by illegal means had this FBI investigation not gone through. Top 10 recruit in his class, playing on the Adidas circuit for AAU ball, Adidas schools like Louisville, Indiana, and Kansas all heavily in the mix.

This kind of stuff is baseless speculation and rumor mongering and does nothing to provoke any reasonable conversation. If you want to make an argument that connects kids' loyalty between a particular shoe-sponsored circuit and similarly sponsored college programs, do some research, collect some data and put it out there for everyone to analyze. But to make the leap that if not for the FBI exposing this practice that a kid like Matthew Hurt would have otherwise taken money to influence his college decision is irresponsible.

He's right. They are all from Minnesota and left/are leaving. Why can't that be an issue? Can you imagine the impact on the program/university if they could land these guys? Why can't that be discussed? Honestly curious.

What does one-and-done have to do with anything? Are you implying the Gophers somehow benefit from not getting players immediately good enough to play in the NBA? The best possible advertisement for other top recruits is seeing a kid go one-and-done.

Take a deep breath. He's saying that Gary Trent, Jr. will be long gone, and probably Tre Jones as well, before Matthew Hurt would ever hypothetically play for Duke. The likelihood of the three ever playing together at Duke, as Shooter suggested, is virtually zero.

Take a deep breath. He's saying that Gary Trent, Jr. will be long gone, and probably Tre Jones as well, before Matthew Hurt would ever hypothetically play for Duke. The likelihood of the three ever playing together at Duke, as Shooter suggested, is virtually zero.

I'd say it is a bit higher than zero, I doubt Tre leaves early after one year, haven't seen him play that much but I just don't see Gary Trent JR being a one and done.

I'd say it is a bit higher than zero, I doubt Tre leaves early after one year, haven't seen him play that much but I just don't see Gary Trent JR being a one and done.

Nbadraft.net, which is pretty astute, has Trent as a lottery pick for 2018. Unless he gets hurt or has a catastrophically bad season, he's almost a lock.

Nbadraft.net, which is pretty astute, has Trent as a lottery pick for 2018. Unless he gets hurt or has a catastrophically bad season, he's almost a lock.

I typically check out NBAdraft.net too but those projections are forever changing. Tough to see a situation where Trent's a lotto pick being 4th or 5th option at Duke. He probably jumps after one year because they'll have better wings coming in next year's class with Reddish and eventually Barrett but it's not a great place to be for his draft stock. It's the issue with a lot of one and done prospects. You have to respect guys that want to win but a lot of the time they hamper their development going to a blue blood. It's funny because Dennis Smith and Markelle Fultz lost a lot in college but I'd say they have to be the two favorites to win ROTY.

The parameters you list do fit. Where he doesn't fit is family economic need or character. My speculation for conversation: present that offer and you eliminate your school from consideration.

For those saying Trent is not a one and done: No personal evaluation to go on for Trent but they have him listed at #13. Miles Bridges is listed at #15. Evidently they think Trent must be able to shoot or score pretty well?
I'd also agree with GopherNuts, I'm not sure why the one and done guys go to Duke or someplace where they are not featured. Then again, the Kentucky guys sacrifice scoring and still do well in the NBA.

Trent is basically a lock to go pro after one season. I'd take that bet.

I typically check out NBAdraft.net too but those projections are forever changing. Tough to see a situation where Trent's a lotto pick being 4th or 5th option at Duke. He probably jumps after one year because they'll have better wings coming in next year's class with Reddish and eventually Barrett but it's not a great place to be for his draft stock. It's the issue with a lot of one and done prospects. You have to respect guys that want to win but a lot of the time they hamper their development going to a blue blood. It's funny because Dennis Smith and Markelle Fultz lost a lot in college but I'd say they have to be the two favorites to win ROTY.

Jones was a one-and-done as the 4th option at Duke, and he wasn't remotely approaching the level of pro prospect that Trent is.

Seriously dude did you even read it? Quit moving the goal post

For those saying Trent is not a one and done: No personal evaluation to go on for Trent but they have him listed at #13. Miles Bridges is listed at #15. Evidently they think Trent must be able to shoot or score pretty well?
I'd also agree with GopherNuts, I'm not sure why the one and done guys go to Duke or someplace where they are not featured. Then again, the Kentucky guys sacrifice scoring and still do well in the NBA.

Because some prefer to be on a team that is likely to win more and be in the tournament (i.e. NBA showcase) vs. placing more weight on other factors like culture, coach, region, closeness to home, and college major.

Because some prefer to be on a team that is likely to win more and be in the tournament (i.e. NBA showcase) vs. placing more weight on other factors like culture, coach, region, closeness to home, and college major.

If they want to win more, that seems like a valid reason to choose a blue blood, but I think NBA scouts will still notice really good players on mediocre to bad teams. I think I counted 7 first round picks in this past draft who played for college basketball teams that did not make the tournament.

Jones was a one-and-done as the 4th option at Duke, and he wasn't remotely approaching the level of pro prospect that Trent is.

Duke still played through Tyus which gave him the chance to show other parts of his game. He took on a bigger role in conference play and in the tournament for them and when he went on to show he could score too that made him a first rounder. We see every year guys have great runs in March and get overdrafted despite limited potential. I'm not sure there's a situation like that for Trent. Duval's a score first PG, Bagley's a mega prospect that will have the ball in his hands a lot and that doesn't even factor in the Grayson Allen effect or Wendell Carter.

Gary probably isn't that much better of an NBA prospect than Tyus was in the grand scheme of things. Trent's calling card is his scoring ability and he's definitely a very good scorer but he lacks in other aspects. He's slightly undersized and doesn't have the wingspan to make up for it. He's not going to overwhelm anyone with his athleticism either and hasn't shown the handle to really create his own shot. He projects to be a below average defender too and hasn't really shown to be much more than that. I don't see him as near the prospects Suggs and Hurt are or Vaughn was even who is a better athlete. He'll get in the league as a scorer/shooter but the ceiling is fairly low.

I know people can't stand Calipari for various reasons but he deserves credit for adjusting his system to cater to developing NBA traits and in the end sacrificing his own successes. That's a lot of why his guys are so much more successful in the pros. Drive and kick is everything in the league and that's all his offense is mind numbingly so. K isn't willing to do that and has in truth sacrificed the potential of NBA prospects. While K stays true to his system and 8 or 9 man rotations...Calipari the year Towns was there had legit line changes and KAT played 21 minutes a night so bench guys could develop and showcase themselves to scouts. If i'm a 5* recruit i'm not thinking twice if it comes down to Kentucky and Duke.

He's a kid that could take us to the next level which is why I have no faith in him playing here.. as a Minnesota sports fan Iv learned to get my hopes up

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom