All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Yup. He had an opportunity to play on the same team as his brother and to pair with Oturu in The front court. And to potentially play with Amir. His addition would have put Mn in a great place.

Be tough to turn down playing with your own brother for at least a year, at least for me.

That’s what really gets me. We have one glaring hole on a very good team next year (I believe Coffey will return) and it’s at the 4 spot. It was an ideal match for Hurt, his brother plays here, his family is full of gopher fans, etc. Makes me believe that we are up against a machine (shoe money etc) that we will simply never be able to overcome and we’ll pretty much never sign a 5 star player again.

Not really. Duke has had 43 different players on their team in just the last 6 years (2013/14 thru 2018/19 seasons)! If you are not a star, most fans may barely remember that you were on the team.

So your speaking for Duke fans on who they will remember ! They will remember Hurt, he is a special player.

Duke is a fine, fine academic institution. In the old days, I understood the long-term plan on earning a degree from there. Now, it's on par with Kentucky, IMO. He's not going there for academics and I'm skeptical he ever earns a Duke degree.

Just another brick in the wall.....

Byeeeeee

And I thought this thread would end

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That’s what really gets me. We have one glaring hole on a very good team next year (I believe Coffey will return) and it’s at the 4 spot. It was an ideal match for Hurt, his brother plays here, his family is full of gopher fans, etc. Makes me believe that we are up against a machine (shoe money etc) that we will simply never be able to overcome and we’ll pretty much never sign a 5 star player again.

He wanted to play for K, to play for a legendary program, to win big. You do not need 5 stars to win multiple conference titles and a national title. You need the right coach and the right mix of team players, we just saw it.

This thread won't end until he leaves Duke for the NBA.

It was his choice and all but what a stupid choice.

I think this is becoming increasingly more obvious, may not be direct agreements but there is obviously collusion and a silent agreements between endorsement money and certain blue blood schools, Duke didn't suddenly go to the one and done model for no reason.

He wanted to play for K, to play for a legendary program, to win big. You do not need 5 stars to win multiple conference titles and a national title. You need the right coach and the right mix of team players, we just saw it.

The right coach, the right mix of players, and a little help from the officials. :cool:

Seriously, though, Villanova has been doing that now for a while, with 2 titles to show for it. Obviously you need high end talent, whether "five star" or "high four star" (the range of "four star" now is huge), but it helps most if you're getting high end talent that is going to stay 2-4 years. Build that foundation, though, and an occasional one-and-done from Minnesota or otherwise could put us over the top.

Not really. Duke has had 43 different players on their team in just the last 6 years (2013/14 thru 2018/19 seasons)! If you are not a star, most fans may barely remember that you were on the team.

I'm afraid the fact that Hurt is not good enough to be a one-and-done is exactly the reason he'll have a memorable career at Duke and would have been a program changing player here.

Watching Tyus win a title there was very aggravating ... I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have to watch Tre AND Hurt win one together. If there is any justice in this world that will not happen.

I'm afraid the fact that Hurt is not good enough to be a one-and-done is exactly the reason he'll have a memorable career at Duke and would have been a program changing player here.

Watching Tyus win a title there was very aggravating ... I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have to watch Tre AND Hurt win one together. If there is any justice in this world that will not happen.
Won't happen, what people forget about that 2015 team is the depth behind the freshman, there's no Zion or RJ Barrett coming in, besides Tre Jones this team has some serious questions in the backcourt and they still lack depth and experience that you need in March

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So your speaking for Duke fans on who they will remember ! They will remember Hurt, he is a special player.

Good riddance. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Please take your brother with you. The Gophers Will be better off without him. He can ride the pine with you.

Good riddance. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Please take your brother with you. The Gophers Will be better off without him. He can ride the pine with you.

I doubt that he is on this board. He may take a peek at it, but only to shake his head in disbelief of the comments made from time to time.

However, along those same lines, you can't speak for Duke fans either. Saying they will remember him has no more validity than saying they won't remember him.

Ok, so how long has he had this burning desire to play for the immortal coach K? It seems like K was giving him token attention until just the last few months. The 5-stars sure help a lot, but you can always catch lightning in a bottle every once in a while. How many titles has K won without 5-stars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, along those same lines, you can't speak for Duke fans either. Saying they will remember him has no more validity than saying they won't remember him.

Touché. Built doesn’t like it when members of this board speak for Duke fans, yet he does the very same thing.

We saw them lose in the elite eight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You're out of your mind if you think Matthew will be riding the bench at Duke. Also no need to disrespect our players. We need hard working, good teammates like him. Hopefully he will regain confidence in his shot and knock down some big threes for us next season.

I agree about the good riddance to Matthew. He isn’t a Gopher, and I hope he loses every game he plays at Puke University. However, Michael is a Gopher, and is a hard-working kid who represents the team well. He’s not a great player, but there is no need to rip him.

You're out of your mind if you think Matthew will be riding the bench at Duke. Also no need to disrespect our players. We need hard working, good teammates like him. Hopefully he will regain confidence in his shot and knock down some big threes for us next season.

Matthew is going into duke with 3 seniors in the front court that saw a lot of playing time (if they are all back - bolden, delaure, white) and joining them are 2 other 5 star players (Moore, Carey) he will get playing time, but there’s only so many balls to go around. He better put on some weight compared to the others also. I can see him as the one getting squeezed out (like reddish or several other players in prior years)

Matthew is going into duke with 3 seniors in the front court that saw a lot of playing time (if they are all back - bolden, delaure, white) and joining them are 2 other 5 star players (Moore, Carey) he will get playing time, but there’s only so many balls to go around. He better put on some weight compared to the others also. I can see him as the one getting squeezed out (like reddish or several other players in prior years)

Agreed. Just because he would have instantly been the best player on the gophers doesn't mean he will be the best player for Duke.

Ok, so how long has he had this burning desire to play for the immortal coach K? It seems like K was giving him token attention until just the last few months. The 5-stars sure help a lot, but you can always catch lightning in a bottle every once in a while. How many titles has K won without 5-stars?

Personally I think he would've committed to Kansas in not for the current dark clouds over that program. They seemed to be favorites for a long time

Personally I think he would've committed to Kansas in not for the current dark clouds over that program. They seemed to be favorites for a long time

And duke is sunshine and rainbows right now?

Duke fans i know can name the starters on at least the last 5 teams and really good players forever. We remember marginal players from here on this board for along time.

I never said he was the beat coach but every high end high school player thinks he is a great deal better than ours.

Do you think that Hurt thinks K is a better coach and that Duke is a better program than ours ? Why all the hate. This young man worked really hard to have the very best opportunity and i am not in a place to bash the brother of a player on our team. Congrats to him for picking a great opportunity.

Top Bottom