All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Do you think that Hurt thinks K is a better coach and that Duke is a better program than ours ? Why all the hate. This young man worked really hard to have the very best opportunity and i am not in a place to bash the brother of a player on our team. Congrats to him for picking a great opportunity.

There is no hate, it was just a response to your comments that he wanted to play for K. I just think that he wanted the bright lights of a blue blood and it just happen that Duke was the last one standing. I would suspect that he thinks K is a better coach and nobody gets more publicity that Duke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matthew is going into duke with 3 seniors in the front court that saw a lot of playing time (if they are all back - bolden, delaure, white) and joining them are 2 other 5 star players (Moore, Carey) he will get playing time, but there’s only so many balls to go around. He better put on some weight compared to the others also. I can see him as the one getting squeezed out (like reddish or several other players in prior years)

Two things

1. Hurt is likely a much better player than DeLaurier, Bolden or White. Those guys are nothing special. And Moore is a SF and not ranked as high as Hurt. (9 vs 22 in 247's composite).

2. Reddish was Duke's third leading scorer this year and averaged over 13 PPG, was their best 3 point shooter and will be a lottery pick. If that is what getting "squeezed out" means then yes, Hurt could very well get "squeezed out." I would expect Hurt to be a top 3 scorer for Duke next year but we will see.

My wish is that Duke don’t make the final four next year. This years team was better than what we will see next season. Go Gophers!

My wish is that Duke don’t make the final four next year. This years team was better than what we will see next season. Go Gophers!

I also hope they do not make it and the talent will not be as good as this years but they could be a better team.

So your speaking for Duke fans on who they will remember ! They will remember Hurt, he is a special player.

You sure are on the opposite side of supporting Mn a lot of the time. Even though you say otherwise.

He wanted to play for K, to play for a legendary program, to win big. You do not need 5 stars to win multiple conference titles and a national title. You need the right coach and the right mix of team players, we just saw it.

So then Hurt didn’t recognize that.

Duke fans i know can name the starters on at least the last 5 teams and really good players forever. We remember marginal players from here on this board for along time.

Remember marginal player??? That is a cheap shot of epic proportions.

Dusty Rychart. Aaron Robinson. Jeff Hagen. Damian Johnson.

Yes sir. I do remember the players names. Even the marginal players.

I could go on and will stop. You sir are truly a piece of work.

Two things

1. Hurt is likely a much better player than DeLaurier, Bolden or White. Those guys are nothing special. And Moore is a SF and not ranked as high as Hurt. (9 vs 22 in 247's composite).

2. Reddish was Duke's third leading scorer this year and averaged over 13 PPG, was their best 3 point shooter and will be a lottery pick. If that is what getting "squeezed out" means then yes, Hurt could very well get "squeezed out." I would expect Hurt to be a top 3 scorer for Duke next year but we will see.

Bolden was a 5* and delaure just missed being a 5* , they have been there 3 years and know the system , plus they are much more ready physically. Reddish during the season all the announcers said he shouldn’t enter draft(I don’t know how he blew back up) I guarantee you tre is going to jack up more shots this year.

So then Hurt didn’t recognize that.

He did recognize the coaching difference, he did look at who else would be on his team. He picked the best chance to win. That is not anti Gophers, that is reality. Humans have a way of picking the best option they have. Players pick what they want. If they like a coach better, like a program better, all the power to them. Other programs have found a way to win without players of Hurt's talent. Somehow there are fans that determine i lose my fan card by seeing things as they are but that is also delusional because that fact is there i will be cheering on the team.

This year's Duke team was led by one of the best college basketball players in history. It's not exactly going out on a limb to say that next year's squad will be worse, simply by virtue of Williamson no longer being on the team.

Humans have a way of picking the best option they have.

This is really what it all boils down to. It's perfectly reasonable that Gophers fans would be upset that he chose not to come here, but saying stupid sh1t like Duke was a bad choice or not being able to understand why he would go there shows how idiotic this fanbase is. A survey of 1,000 random college basketball fans would have 999 pick Duke over Minnesota in a question of which is the better program, and the one would be a sycophantic rube from this board. Duke and Minnesota are barely in the same universe as basketball programs. In every other field, it's seen as an honor and a privilege to have a chance to be a part of the elite firms, but in Gophers fandom you're a moron if you don't subjugate your own best interests to appease the locals. It's so tiresome and myopic.

Bolden was a 5* and delaure just missed being a 5* , they have been there 3 years and know the system , plus they are much more ready physically. Reddish during the season all the announcers said he shouldn’t enter draft(I don’t know how he blew back up) I guarantee you tre is going to jack up more shots this year.

Those guys were ranked high (although Hurt is ranked higher) but they certainly have not lived up to those rankings. If there was a re-ranking, they probably wouldn't be in the top 100, especially not DeLaurier. In 3 years of college, they have done very little. Hurt is much more skilled than either and most Duke fans expect him to be top 3 in minutes played along with Tre and Carey.

And Reddish was always a projected lottery pick throughout the entire year, he never fell out of the lottery completely. He's no longer thought of as a top 3-5 guy but still a lottery pick.

A
He did recognize the coaching difference, he did look at who else would be on his team. He picked the best chance to win. That is not anti Gophers, that is reality. Humans have a way of picking the best option they have. Players pick what they want. If they like a coach better, like a program better, all the power to them. Other programs have found a way to win without players of Hurt's talent. Somehow there are fans that determine i lose my fan card by seeing things as they are but that is also delusional because that fact is there i will be cheering on the team.

And he turned his back on his brother.

This is really what it all boils down to. It's perfectly reasonable that Gophers fans would be upset that he chose not to come here, but saying stupid sh1t like Duke was a bad choice or not being able to understand why he would go there shows how idiotic this fanbase is. A survey of 1,000 random college basketball fans would have 999 pick Duke over Minnesota in a question of which is the better program, and the one would be a sycophantic rube from this board. Duke and Minnesota are barely in the same universe as basketball programs. In every other field, it's seen as an honor and a privilege to have a chance to be a part of the elite firms, but in Gophers fandom you're a moron if you don't subjugate your own best interests to appease the locals. It's so tiresome and myopic.

Very well said.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/26559434/meet-duke-newest-matchup-problem-matthew-hurt
ESPN weighs in with a lengthy piece on Matthew. (It's a paid link...cheap...and imo worth the price month after month) General consensus is he will start. He brings much needed 3 point shooting. He's versatile. He has to play better defense and get stronger. They say he has to get lower on both ends...I totally agree. If he improves a little and hits shots he'll certainly be a one and done according to one analyst. If not, he won't according to another guy.
His quickness is questioned...impossible to know until he gets lower. His offensive ability is praised.
I'm hoping he plays great! I'm also hoping we somehow add some pieces, Coffey returns and we beat Duke in the NCCA tournament playing out of our minds for a nice run. How sweet would that be?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/26559434/meet-duke-newest-matchup-problem-matthew-hurt
ESPN weighs in with a lengthy piece on Matthew. (It's a paid link...cheap...and imo worth the price month after month) General consensus is he will start. He brings much needed 3 point shooting. He's versatile. He has to play better defense and get stronger. They say he has to get lower on both ends...I totally agree. If he improves a little and hits shots he'll certainly be a one and done according to one analyst. If not, he won't according to another guy.
His quickness is questioned...impossible to know until he gets lower. His offensive ability is praised.
I'm hoping he plays great! I'm also hoping we somehow add some pieces, Coffey returns and we beat Duke in the NCCA tournament playing out of our minds for a nice run. How sweet would that be?

I am all in on adding more great players and beating Duke. That is what we actually pay our coach to do !

Cheap shots at Mn players, built. Not a good look. Happy Easter.

He keeps wondering why people question his claim to be a fan of the U. He thinks it is because he also cheers for other teams or just presents the facts as he sees it. I thinks the questions come from all of the cheap shots at the U and his refusal to acknowledge them. Bleed, you bring some nice insight and content to GH, but the constant attacks are beneath you.

Cheap shots at Mn players, built. Not a good look. Happy Easter.

You stated that Duke fans will not remember Hurt in 5 years. What makes you think they will not remember a wonderful player on a really good team when we remember players like Arob, Walker and on and on. Marginal players refers to non superstars, not even on great teams.

You stated that Duke fans will not remember Hurt in 5 years. What makes you think they will not remember a wonderful player on a really good team when we remember players like Arob, Walker and on and on. Marginal players refers to non superstars, not even on great teams.

Get your facts straight built. I did not say a word about duke fans.

Your cheap shots will continue to be called out.

Apologies to you. It is in this thread and i believe you when you say it is not you. I thought i was responding to the poster who said Duke fans would not remember Hurt in 5 years. Not meant as a shot at you.

It was Alchemy. FYI, we can disagree with civility. The board is simply a place to share takes, thoughts and feelings and i am glad you called me out for linking you to someone else's post.

It was Alchemy. FYI, we can disagree with civility. The board is simply a place to share takes, thoughts and feelings and i am glad you called me out for linking you to someone else's post.
As long as you keep the word "badger" in your username, there shall never be civility!!! [emoji41]

How many Duke people remember Nick Horvath? Nick averaged 2.6 points per game. His team won a championship in 2001. Mr. MN Basketball and this is career at Duke.

Top Bottom