All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

I think coming back makes sense for Amir as I think he could play himself into getting drafted but on the flip side he could just as easily get a 2 way G-League contract allowing him to focus on developing his skills and getting a jumpstart on a path to the NBA. He’d have better coaches and wouldn’t waste another one of his peak years not getting paid. People are upset because Coffey leaving tanks our season next year let’s be brutally honest. There’s likely more positives to Amir leaving (for him) than negatives and that’s a reality a lot of us don’t want to face.

It's possible that Amir gets a 2 way contract but unlikely. Every team gets to sign 2 guys to a two way contract every year so there are 60 guys however teams can sign players that have been in the league for 4 years or less so he wouldn't be just competing with other rookies, he be competing with guys the last 3 draft classes plus his own. And a lot of 2nd round picks and maybe even some late first rounders sign two way contracts so that eats into the availability of those. And players that played overseas but never played in the NBA are also eligible so even if a guy is 25-26 years old and his draft class is over 4 years old, he would count as a rookie and be eligible.

So again, I don't think it's that likely he gets one.

In general it is really hard to improve your draft stock from JR to SR year of college. Evaluators find flaws or bad tape and you are just one year older. Look at guys like Mike Daum, you saw him at the back end of rd 2 mocks in past years, he comes back this year, seemingly better across the board and he is no where to be found either. Only guys I can really think of that helped even a little are like Josh Hart or Caris LeVert. Evaluators always crave "what if", at 19 you can hope a guy like Coffey finds his shot and turns into an elite defender. At 22 you kind of know he won't be a knock down shooter or ace defender. Heck even look at guys like Miles bridges, who was slated to be a top 1-3 pick, he stayed, got better, dropped to 10th, same with Joakim Noah.

That is why it makes so much sense for a guy like Amir or Tre Jones to just go to the NBA. It is 100% unfortunate as those are the guys that are so fun to watch in college as seniors but the business model is not set up for that. I am not extremely well versed on the hockey model but I believe they can get drafted at anytime and still go to college while the organization holds their rights and can kind let them know hey you are ready or no you better stick, but they know they have a deal waiting. I would like to see something like that in the NBA. The wolves could say hey Tre, we are ok at point guard this year and we think you are better served at Duke with K vs Sioux Falls, so go there another year, hone your skills and next year if we lose Teague/Rose we would have more of a need and you would be a bit more polished. Everyone wins.

I hope to all that is good that Amir comes back but if he leaves I can't argue his logic.

Teams value potential. With potential, teams can envision a player being able to grow into almost any system or skills. Once a player shows their limits, then teams lose those expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People are upset because Coffey leaving tanks our season next year let’s be brutally honest.

Right, I already said that. As I stated, the reason people are upset is because it's a bad decision for us and for him. It was the same with Rickert - it was a bad decision for both, but he luckily got to cash an NBA paycheck for a while because the Timberwolves were inept enough to select him at the end of the 2nd round.

There’s likely more positives to Amir leaving (for him) than negatives and that’s a reality a lot of us don’t want to face.

If he goes, it will be because of emotion and not reason. There are no logical positives. Overseas leagues (where he will end up) will still be there a year from now, and a stellar year next year might even bump him into the end of the draft - he won't be there this year.

If he goes, it will be because of emotion and not reason. There are no logical positives. Overseas leagues (where he will end up) will still be there a year from now, and a stellar year next year might even bump him into the end of the draft - he won't be there this year.

He'd get better coaching and better competition in the G league than he would in the Big Ten. He'd lose TV exposure, but would make up for it in exposure to people around the league. Exposure shouldn't be something he's worried about though because we both agree he will not ever be a 1st round pick.

The only logical reason to stay would be to get a college degree that he could probably still get in his next year as a pro.

In general it is really hard to improve your draft stock from JR to SR year of college. Evaluators find flaws or bad tape and you are just one year older. Look at guys like Mike Daum, you saw him at the back end of rd 2 mocks in past years, he comes back this year, seemingly better across the board and he is no where to be found either. Only guys I can really think of that helped even a little are like Josh Hart or Caris LeVert. Evaluators always crave "what if", at 19 you can hope a guy like Coffey finds his shot and turns into an elite defender. At 22 you kind of know he won't be a knock down shooter or ace defender. Heck even look at guys like Miles bridges, who was slated to be a top 1-3 pick, he stayed, got better, dropped to 10th, same with Joakim Noah.

That is why it makes so much sense for a guy like Amir or Tre Jones to just go to the NBA. It is 100% unfortunate as those are the guys that are so fun to watch in college as seniors but the business model is not set up for that. I am not extremely well versed on the hockey model but I believe they can get drafted at anytime and still go to college while the organization holds their rights and can kind let them know hey you are ready or no you better stick, but they know they have a deal waiting. I would like to see something like that in the NBA. The wolves could say hey Tre, we are ok at point guard this year and we think you are better served at Duke with K vs Sioux Falls, so go there another year, hone your skills and next year if we lose Teague/Rose we would have more of a need and you would be a bit more polished. Everyone wins.

I hope to all that is good that Amir comes back but if he leaves I can't argue his logic.

Was Draymond Green a senior?

Right, I already said that. As I stated, the reason people are upset is because it's a bad decision for us and for him. It was the same with Rickert - it was a bad decision for both, but he luckily got to cash an NBA paycheck for a while because the Timberwolves were inept enough to select him at the end of the 2nd round.

This. This summarizes my thoughts on the entire situation perfectly.

PP: Top recruit Matthew Hurt: Gophers ‘stopped contacting me.’ But it can’t be that simple.

While Duke is considered the slight favorite over Kansas, per 247sports.com, the Gophers, obviously, have been excluded from Hurt’s short list.

“They stopped contacting me, so it just felt right to take them out,” he said.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/...ped-contacting-me-but-it-cant-be-that-simple/

Go Gophers!!

PP: Top recruit Matthew Hurt: Gophers ‘stopped contacting me.’ But it can’t be that simple.

While Duke is considered the slight favorite over Kansas, per 247sports.com, the Gophers, obviously, have been excluded from Hurt’s short list.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/...ped-contacting-me-but-it-cant-be-that-simple/

Go Gophers!!

Well, I think that's the first time I've seen him publicly say we were out of it. Unless this is all just part of an amazing ruse where he has had this worked out with Pitino and his brother and shocks everyone out of the blue(blood)?

Go Gophers!!

I would say there’s some truth to that. But when he’s being courted by the blue bloods and all the toxins out he has a one and done I’m sure Pitino thought forget about it he’s not coming here anyway. Hurt probably also is trying to make himself look good by saying this upfront so it lessens the blow when he signs with one of the Blue Bloods

Go Gophers!!

Who cares, he was never coming here anyways, regardless of how hard we recruited him. This comes off as a pitiful attempt by Matthew to try and "let down" the homestate easy and make it seem like I'm not a bad guy, the Gophers gave me no choice.

If you wanna leave the state, that's fine and understandable but be a man about it. Come out and say you think the bluebloods have more to offer. Don't try and put the blame on Pitino and the Gophers. We recruited Matthew hard for 4 years and my guess is he never showed much interest and Pitino realized his time was better spent elsewhere.

Who cares, he was never coming here anyways, regardless of how hard we recruited him. This comes off as a pitiful attempt by Matthew to try and "let down" the homestate easy and make it seem like I'm not a bad guy, the Gophers gave me no choice.

If you wanna leave the state, that's fine and understandable but be a man about it. Come out and say you think the bluebloods have more to offer. Don't try and put the blame on Pitino and the Gophers. We recruited Matthew hard for 4 years and my guess is he never showed much interest and Pitino realized his time was better spent elsewhere.

Yeah, it's dog**** that he is playing it like this. What a clown

I would say there’s some truth to that. But when he’s being courted by the blue bloods and all the toxins out he has a one and done I’m sure Pitino thought forget about it he’s not coming here anyway. Hurt probably also is trying to make himself look good by saying this upfront so it lessens the blow when he signs with one of the Blue Bloods

We stopped recruiting him because he gave no indication that he would even consider coming here

Well, when you stop giving any encouragement that you would consider a team, their coach is going to move on. We don’t believe that you would have chosen us if we kept up the effort, Matthew. Maybe if you would have given Pitino a sign that it was worth it.

If you wanna leave the state, that's fine and understandable but be a man about it. Come out and say you think the bluebloods have more to offer. Don't try and put the blame on Pitino and the Gophers.

There weren't going to be a lot of hard feelings among Gopher fans unless he said something that completely lacked tact and diplomacy. Well, he found a way. Mission accomplished. This is really poor.

Ditto

Too bad the Pitino is such a quitter...assuming the hurts did not tell him to get lost...Hurt hold the distinction of being the only Mr Basketball not to play in State Tournament

Too bad the Pitino is such a quitter...assuming the hurts did not tell him to get lost...Hurt hold the distinction of being the only Mr Basketball not to play in State Tournament
I’m not sure if you can call Pitino a quitter. You know yourself hurt was never coming to the gophers. It’s all the hype making the Gophers think woulda coulda shoulda. Go Gophers!

Why did he recently say in an interview that he wasn’t counting the Gophers out yet? I’ve lost respect for Mathew after this comment. If Pitino truly stopped contacting him, it was obviously because the Hurt’s weren’t giving us the time of day or any hope. Get real. Unless this is some master ruse, Matthew has just entered the category of traitor in my book and I’ll be rooting for whatever team he plays on to lose. Just like the stinking blue bloods all lost this year. What a joy to see them all miss out on the Final Four. Now if he changes his mind, different story...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does anybody know what Hurt would or wouldn't have done. Imo you keep recruiting him as hard as you can until he commits, just seems lazy not to. Agree that it was probably a long shot but we had things other schools didn't, close to home, brother on team.

What a disappointing ending to something that never was to be. Matthew really produced a big turd on his way out. Call me extremely unimpressed, Matthew.

How does anybody know what Hurt would or wouldn't have done. Imo you keep recruiting him as hard as you can until he commits, just seems lazy not to. Agree that it was probably a long shot but we had things other schools didn't, close to home, brother on team.

You think Pitino would stop recruiting a five star local recruit because he's lazy? This was a one sided relationship. That is why they stopped recruiting him

Kind of a chicken and egg thing here for Pitino. Did he stop recruiting Hurt because he knew there was no interest, or was there no interest because the recruiting contact stopped? I'm inclined to believe the former.

Kind of a chicken and egg thing here for Pitino. Did he stop recruiting Hurt because he knew there was no interest, or was there no interest because the recruiting contact stopped? I'm inclined to believe the former.

Had to be the former. Pitino would have loved nothing more than to have him on the team. Stop insulting us, young Mr. Hurt. Go ahead and play for those slimy blue blood coaches. I can just smell the slime oozing out of them-especially ultra-slimy Coach K.

Well, just for fun - let's pretend that Hurt is telling the truth. That, for whatever reason, the U backed off and quit contacting him.

You can say the Gopher coaches are just being practical, and that "he was never going to MN."

But, if there is a 10% chance, I think you keep in contact.

IF this is true, then having it become public is bad optics for the Gophers.

Unless Pitino doesn't give a bleep because he's looking for other jobs and he doesn't care whether the Gophers land Hurt or not.

The coach only has so much time. If he wastes it all on recruits that have no interest, then he will not have time to get the players that really want to play here.

An attempt to make himself look good through making Pitino look bad. Cowardly and pathetic.

Pitino isn't dumb. If there was any chance at all of landing Hurt, he wouldn't have backed off.

No point in continuing to recruit a player that isn't coming. That's a lot of time lost on other relationships that can be developed and improved.

Top Bottom