Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071
Results 1,051 to 1,064 of 1064
  1. #1051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    You're not wrong at all.

    But your post also has a bit of a desperation to it. *Some* of these kids simply have zero interest in going to class, and will take $125k in a second. The NCAA is absolutely going to lose some of the elite prospects to these contracts, going forward.

    They won't get the TV time that playing on an elite college program gives ... but for someone (not you necessarily) to suggest that the NBA would be less aware of the talent and perhaps less willing to spend a high level draft pick on them ... is just plain dishonest. The NBA knows exactly who is who and what they have to offer the league, regardless if they're in high school, college, overseas, or in the G-league.


    Also, a prospect can sign with the G-league, try it for a year, bank $125k, and if it doesn't work out ... THEN they can enroll in college. Right? Why would that not be allowed?? Would seem to just be sour grapes by the NCAA, if not ...
    I think the point of all of this is that college offers greater visibility for top prospects. The visibility that they gain helps them build their individual brand and name recognition. This brand building makes them more marketable and fetches them bigger endorsement deals. End result is more money if you play college ball.


  2. #1052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherHoopsFan View Post
    End result is more money if you play college ball.
    125k to play, but MUCH more $$$ for shoe deals, endorsements etc. for the elite youngsters.

  3. #1053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    You're not wrong at all.

    But your post also has a bit of a desperation to it. *Some* of these kids simply have zero interest in going to class, and will take $125k in a second. The NCAA is absolutely going to lose some of the elite prospects to these contracts, going forward.

    They won't get the TV time that playing on an elite college program gives ... but for someone (not you necessarily) to suggest that the NBA would be less aware of the talent and perhaps less willing to spend a high level draft pick on them ... is just plain dishonest. The NBA knows exactly who is who and what they have to offer the league, regardless if they're in high school, college, overseas, or in the G-league.


    Also, a prospect can sign with the G-league, try it for a year, bank $125k, and if it doesn't work out ... THEN they can enroll in college. Right? Why would that not be allowed?? Would seem to just be sour grapes by the NCAA, if not ...
    The bolded is certainly true. Good point.

  4. #1054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherHoopsFan View Post
    I think the point of all of this is that college offers greater visibility for top prospects. The visibility that they gain helps them build their individual brand and name recognition. This brand building makes them more marketable and fetches them bigger endorsement deals. End result is more money if you play college ball.
    Undeniably more visibility ... if you’re a star (or major contributor) at an elite program. Otherwise, not so sure. Even Minnesota ... if Jordan Murphy goes on to be a star in the league ... will people have known him before the league?? Guess it depends how/if we do in March Madness this season.

    I think talent evaluators know who offers what, regardless where you play (though strength of the competition you’re going against is of course a factor in evaluating talent!).

    So my point is that visibility in college ultimately just amounts to hype. You’re not a star in the league ... until you’re a star in the league. And the visibility you did or didn’t get in college seems to correlate with that very poorly in some cases. Steph Curry for example. May as well come up through G-league.
    Last edited by Gophers_4life; 10-19-2018 at 09:17 AM.

  5. #1055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Undeniably more visibility ... if you’re a star (or major contributor) at an elite program. Otherwise, not so sure.

    And my point is, talent evaluators know who offers what, regardless where you play (though strength of the competition you’re going against is of course a factor in evaluating talent!).

    So my point is that visibility in college ultimately just amounts to hype. You’re not a star in the league ... until you’re a star in the league. And the visibility you did or didn’t get in college seems to correlate with that very poorly in some cases. Steph Curry for example. May as well come up through G-league.
    Long term I would agree, not sure a guy like Jonny Flynn gets drafted in the first round and gets a guaranteed contract if he played in the G league, he may have still played in the NBA but he would have had to work for it a bit more.

  6. #1056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jovs View Post
    Long term I would agree, not sure a guy like Jonny Flynn gets drafted in the first round and gets a guaranteed contract if he played in the G league, he may have still played in the NBA but he would have had to work for it a bit more.
    I understand your argument ... but I have to question (because I don’t understand) why would that be true??

    Why would it be possible for a player to be a star at Duke as an 18 year old, going against other elite college programs/players, but that same guy’s talent wouldn’t shine just as much in the G-league?

    And if that just is true, for whatever reasons, then wouldn’t that imply that the G-league is a much more rigorous proving grounds for players to show that they’re worth high draft picks, regardless that they get much less TV time??

  7. #1057

    Default

    Will this additional tidbit that Self authorized a payment change Hurt's perspective on Kansas?

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...oach-bill-self
    Last edited by mraveling; 10-19-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

  8. #1058
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    I understand your argument ... but I have to question (because I don’t understand) why would that be true??

    Why would it be possible for a player to be a star at Duke as an 18 year old, going against other elite college programs/players, but that same guy’s talent wouldn’t shine just as much in the G-league?

    And if that just is true, for whatever reasons, then wouldn’t that imply that the G-league is a much more rigorous proving grounds for players to show that they’re worth high draft picks, regardless that they get much less TV time??
    The NBA Drafts 100% on potential (specifically in the lottery). I think what most are trying to say is that the likely hood of being exposed is far greater in the G league going up against 25 year olds than going up against other 18-21 year olds even if they are also 'elite level' talents. I would think if you dominate the G league that would get you a significant bump over the guys that dominate college.

    Nice to have the the option out there for those in immediate financial need or have zero interest in going to 'class' for 1/2 a year and being the big man on campus.

    (Should this be its own thread? I get the potential relevance to Hurt but it seems to have diverted away from him. I click this thread hoping to find news or gossip people have heard under the bleachers on which way he is leaning.)

  9. #1059
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Corn Field
    Posts
    22,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    I understand your argument ... but I have to question (because I don’t understand) why would that be true??

    Why would it be possible for a player to be a star at Duke as an 18 year old, going against other elite college programs/players, but that same guy’s talent wouldn’t shine just as much in the G-league?

    And if that just is true, for whatever reasons, then wouldn’t that imply that the G-league is a much more rigorous proving grounds for players to show that they’re worth high draft picks, regardless that they get much less TV time??
    Could be because of the system and coaches at the college game. I've got to believe the best coaches in college are probably better than the G-league coaches. Maybe a kid is very immature so the structure of college could help them for a year or two.

  10. #1060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    I understand your argument ... but I have to question (because I don’t understand) why would that be true??

    Why would it be possible for a player to be a star at Duke as an 18 year old, going against other elite college programs/players, but that same guy’s talent wouldn’t shine just as much in the G-league?

    And if that just is true, for whatever reasons, then wouldn’t that imply that the G-league is a much more rigorous proving grounds for players to show that they’re worth high draft picks, regardless that they get much less TV time??
    Because you've got 9 other guys that are on par in ability on the court in the G league, in college you might have one or two.

  11. #1061

    Default

    Please keep this thread on Hurt. All additional non-Hurt posts will be deleted. The new one and done rule should be its own thread.

  12. #1062
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherHole Staff View Post
    Please keep this thread on Hurt. All additional non-Hurt posts will be deleted. The new one and done rule should be its own thread.
    Hurt is an elite prospect he very well could get a GLeague invite, it's relavent

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  13. #1063

    Default

    Matthew Hurt: Highlights of Top 10 2019 post at USA Basketball

    https://247sports.com/college/basket...all-123521045/

    Go Gophers!!

  14. #1064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Undeniably more visibility ... if you’re a star (or major contributor) at an elite program. Otherwise, not so sure. Even Minnesota ... if Jordan Murphy goes on to be a star in the league ... will people have known him before the league?? Guess it depends how/if we do in March Madness this season.

    I think talent evaluators know who offers what, regardless where you play (though strength of the competition you’re going against is of course a factor in evaluating talent!).

    So my point is that visibility in college ultimately just amounts to hype. You’re not a star in the league ... until you’re a star in the league. And the visibility you did or didn’t get in college seems to correlate with that very poorly in some cases. Steph Curry for example. May as well come up through G-league.
    I thought this was a discussion about elite prospects who nearly always play at elite programs. Most players sign shoe deals before they step foot on an NBA court. While it's convenient to use Steph Curry as an example, most "elite" draft picks don't have quite the same career trajectory and may be dependent upon a good first deal. Look at Anthony Bennett, he was the first overall pick, I don't have any clue how much his shoe deal was worth but it was probably better than what he would have earned coming out of the G-League.

    Anyway, do you know what players are eligible for the $125K? I haven't read too much about this, is it top 100 prospects? I suppose Matthew Hurt would qualify.
    Last edited by GopherHoopsFan; 10-21-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •