All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

per Shooter:

Suddenly, it looks like Matthew Hurt, the 6-9 Rochester Marshall nationally-sought power forward, could end up committing to Memphis, coached by Anfernee Hardaway and assistant Sam Mitchell, the ex-Timberwolves coach.

The Gophers, though, remain in the hunt. Hurt, whose brother Michael is a junior with the Gophers, attended Tuesday night’s 104-76 Minnesota victory over Nebraska Omaha.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/10/charley-walters-joe-mauer-will-make-hall-of-fame-eventually/

Go Gophers!!

Nike school = no shot.

per Shooter:

Suddenly, it looks like Matthew Hurt, the 6-9 Rochester Marshall nationally-sought power forward, could end up committing to Memphis, coached by Anfernee Hardaway and assistant Sam Mitchell, the ex-Timberwolves coach.

The Gophers, though, remain in the hunt. Hurt, whose brother Michael is a junior with the Gophers, attended Tuesday night’s 104-76 Minnesota victory over Nebraska Omaha.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/10/charley-walters-joe-mauer-will-make-hall-of-fame-eventually/

Go Gophers!!

I think Shooter’s just late to the party. There was a little buzz when they offered him not too long ago but that seems to have died down since. I know James Wiseman is expected to go there but I struggle to see why any other highly touted prospect would go there that doesn’t have ties to the Memphis area. It’s a good basketball town but playing in the AAC just seems unproductive for a OAD.

Seems to be the same group of schools for Hurt. Duke and Kentucky seem to have other targets while Kansas, UNC and the U are still after him. Even in UNC’s case, I’m sure they would take him but not sure he’s the top priority for them as it stands. The Gophers and Kansas seem to be pinning their entire class on him and with the cloud over Self right now...who knows what could happen.

Hurt is just such a natural fit for next year's Gopher roster. With Oturu, Curry, Coffey, Kalsheuer, Carr and Washington- Hurt would give us a star forward that stretches the opposing defense and makes the team a great shooting team with unlimited potential. With him, we could be as good as Kansas or UNC next year- crazy as it sounds.

Last edited:

doubt if hurt as a frosh will be as good as Murphy as a senior

I bet that Oturu, Curry, Kalsheuer, Coffey, Carr and Washington are all better next year than they are this year. Hurt won't necessarily be better next year than Murphy is this year, he will be a completely different player. We will miss Murphy in a huge way. The point is that the overall team will be better, if we can get Hurt- in my opinion.

Hurt is just such a natural fit for next year's Gopher roster. With Oturu, Curry, Coffey, Kalsheuer, Carr and Washington- Hurt would give us a star forward that stretches the opposing defense and makes the team a great shooting team with unlimited potential. With him, we could be as good as Kansas or UNC next year- crazy as it sounds.

Yes, I've said that a million times! Hopefully our staff is saying it too and Hurt understands. It only sounds crazy because college sports is so "brand" driven, but it's really the players, not the brand or (in most cases) the coach that makes the team. Adding Hurt would give us 3 near-certain NBA players in the starting lineup (Hurt, Oturu, Coffey) along with a half dozen other players who are very good college players. That is a top-5 NCAA team.

If Coffey is a “near-certain” NBA player as you say, wouldn’t he go pro after this season?

Common on Hurt, sign up...... the Gophers are on their way to big success!

Now that he's playing PG, I would not take it as a given that he's back next year. The NBA loves big guards.
Coffey is not ready to play in the NBA and he's certainly not an NBA point guard at this point.

Coffey’s injury last year set back any of that talk. I believe he has the most potential and best chance to make the NBA than anyone currently on the Gopher roster other than maybe Oturu

I bet that Oturu, Curry, Kalsheuer, Coffey, Carr and Washington are all better next year than they are this year. Hurt won't necessarily be better next year than Murphy is this year, he will be a completely different player. We will miss Murphy in a huge way. The point is that the overall team will be better, if we can get Hurt- in my opinion.

My bet is that Oturu can fill in the down-low presence of Murphy and Hurt could be that dynamic PF who can stretch the floor and give Oturu his opportunities.

per Zags:

No. 6 Matthew Hurt | PF, Rochester (MN) John Marshall
The 6-9 Hurt has really been quiet on his recruitment and has yet to take an official visit. Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, Minnesota, North Carolina and now Villanova are in the mix for Hurt, who said he planned to take officials around basketball games.

“I’m trying to get my official visits in for games,” he told Rivals last month. “Like on a Saturday when I can come down and see the real atmosphere and environment for a game. I want to see how they prep a team before a game and stuff like that because I’ll consider a lot of that in my decision."

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/6...19-top-10-recruits-planning-to-sign-in-spring

Go Gophers!!

Common on Hurt, sign up...... the Gophers are on their way to big success!

His brother watching 33-34 minutes of the game from the bench is not a good thing for his recruitment.

That being said, I wouldn't play him more just for the recruitment of his brother, he needs to earn his minutes like anyone else his. Just an observation.

His brother watching 33-34 minutes of the game from the bench is not a good thing for his recruitment.

That being said, I wouldn't play him more just for the recruitment of his brother, he needs to earn his minutes like anyone else his. Just an observation.

I doubt that he thinks his brother would be starting for Kansas.....

Nope, nobody would think that.

But his family might think he should be playing 18 to 25 mpg...

Catch 22, in my mind. If Michael is getting 25 mpg, Matthew should be scared off by the post season outlook.

I like what Michael brings, but he needs to fine tune that shot a little bit before he adds much value on the court. He’s close, should ultimately be a solid upper classman role player. Matthew should be excited that there’s plenty of other talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch 22, in my mind. If Michael is getting 25 mpg, Matthew should be scared off by the post season outlook.

I like what Michael brings, but he needs to fine tune that shot a little bit before he adds much value on the court. He’s close, should ultimately be a solid upper classman role player. Matthew should be excited that there’s plenty of other talent.

He shot 42.9% from 3 last year. If his long two last game would have been one more step back he would have been 2-5 from 3 in that game. Would bet he shoots around 40% again this season.

Agreed that he shouldn't be playing 25 mpg though.

Michael's shot gets no more than 2 feet above the rim at any point in it's trajectory. Absolute laser beam. He definitely needs to/should fine tune his shot a bit.

Michael's shot gets no more than 2 feet above the rim at any point in it's trajectory. Absolute laser beam. He definitely needs to/should fine tune his shot a bit.

Mike has kind of a slow release and defenders can close on him so he tends to hurry his shot. By hurrying he releases on the way up, not at the top of his jump. So his shots tend to go long and flat. When you release at the exact top of your jump you naturally get more arch and more arch means more makes. Releasing on the way up the shot goes long and bounces off the back of the rim, this happens to Mike alot. Conversely if you release the ball on the way down it tends to come off the front of the rim.

Matthew are you going to be a Gopher?

Considering the rest of the roster, I believe the Gophers become an instant B1G title contender if he does. By definition, a B1G title contender is a Final Four threat. If you can get there, you've got a shot. We could realistically experience the type of buzz we haven't had since 1996-97. It's too bad Matthew wasn't old enough to experience that run, but if he could help provide a new run like that, Mr. Pitino would have far less trouble locking down the borders.

Considering the rest of the roster, I believe the Gophers become an instant B1G title contender if he does. By definition, a B1G title contender is a Final Four threat. If you can get there, you've got a shot. We could realistically experience the type of buzz we haven't had since 1996-97. It's too bad Matthew wasn't old enough to experience that run, but if he could help provide a new run like that, Mr. Pitino would have far less trouble locking down the borders.

He's has the quietest recruiting I've ever seen for a top ten recruit. I'm hoping he wants to take his officials for the experience, but is in no rush to take them since the gophers class isnt exactly filling up

This program needs so badly for an elite MN talent to stay home. If Matthew commits to the Gophers, the dam could literally break moving forward keeping all of the local talent. If you keep the top MN kids at home every year, we challenge for banners IMO.

This program needs so badly for an elite MN talent to stay home. If Matthew commits to the Gophers, the dam could literally break moving forward keeping all of the local talent. If you keep the top MN kids at home every year, we challenge for banners IMO.

Bottom line is if hurt comes here we start Washington or carr, kalscheur, coffey, hurt, and oturu. Dont see many teams better than us. Curry, Willis, hurt, omersa, williams off bench. Damn good team!

Top Bottom