All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This is cute. Like there was a chance in hell that Matthew, being recruited perhaps most heavily by Bill Self, wouldn't make the U-18 National Team being coached by...Bill Self. I can't even think of the words to describe how much of an unfair advantage USA Basketball (in conjunction with the NCAA) provides certain college coaches by giving them unfiltered access to the most elite high school prospects. "Scam" is probably a good place to start.

If you have Netflix watch At All Costs, I was pretty naive to how this all works.

Here is a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jcc-W5GVYQ

As good as MnD1 is right now, guessing they are pulling in some nice $$$.

Ding ding. It's all a filter down, kick back mechanism. You really think owners of AAU teams do it for free? College choice - shoe company- aau team - aau owner writes a larger salary check.

Ding ding. It's all a filter down, kick back mechanism. You really think owners of AAU teams do it for free? College choice - shoe company- aau team - aau owner writes a larger salary check.

You don't need all that to make money. Running big tournaments are huge money makers and require 0 shady stuff. Not saying AAU programs don't take part in shady business, but you can do everything by the book and still make enough money to make it all worth it, especially if you run a well known program that can attract a ton of teams and college coaches to your events. Team fees and coaches paying for roster books really add up.

You don't need all that to make money. Running big tournaments are huge money makers and require 0 shady stuff. Not saying AAU programs don't take part in shady business, but you can do everything by the book and still make enough money to make it all worth it, especially if you run a well known program that can attract a ton of teams and college coaches to your events. Team fees and coaches paying for roster books really add up.

Right. That adds up. But the shoe thing technically isn't illegal either. Either way, AAU owners and coaches are making money if well known.

Right. That adds up. But the shoe thing technically isn't illegal either. Either way, AAU owners and coaches are making money if well known.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that you can make money in a non-shady way so people don't unfairly think that every single person who runs an AAU program is shady.

This is cute. Like there was a chance in hell that Matthew, being recruited perhaps most heavily by Bill Self, wouldn't make the U-18 National Team being coached by...Bill Self. I can't even think of the words to describe how much of an unfair advantage USA Basketball (in conjunction with the NCAA) provides certain college coaches by giving them unfiltered access to the most elite high school prospects. "Scam" is probably a good place to start.
According to the USA U-18 web site, the team is selected by the USA Junior Team Committee. Matt Painter serves as Chair on the committee, and is assisted by Tony Bennett, Ed Cooley (Providence) and Sean Miller (AZ). Self is not on the committee as far as I can tell.

From shoe company money.

Not every AAU program is dirty, but as a 'whole' AAU is filthy.

Bossi's Best: The 10 most interesting recruiting battles to track

4. Matthew Hurt

What he does: A combo forward who is skilled on the offensive end, Hurt is a scorer who stretches defenses. He can shoot with range, runs the floor pretty well, is capable of attacking other forwards off the dribble and has started to build his low-post game.

Contender analysis: Kansas is considered the leader and Bill Self is Hurt’s coach on USA Basketball’s 18U team. Can somebody like Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky or Minnesota (which is in his home state) break through to make Self and the Jayhawks sweat it out?

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...e-contenders-for-these-10-top-50-prospects--1

Go Gophers!!

Contender analysis: Kansas is considered the leader and Bill Self is Hurt’s coach on USA Basketball’s 18U team. Can somebody like Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky or Minnesota (which is in his home state) break through to make Self and the Jayhawks sweat it out?

Seems like we are always competing with the same teams for recruits... Kansas, Duke, NC, Kentucky and us. We're ELITE.

Don't I wish.

Do you think he'll be happy at Kansas surrounded by all those bible-thumpers:confused:

The U-18 staff should have term limits or something. Let one coach stay on to transition the staff.

Side note: Pitino should go try to get on Canada's staff. They're putting out a lot of 5 stars.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Rochester John Marshall’s standout, Matthew Hurt played a significant role in this win, scoring 17 points, shooting 70 percent from the field, was two-for-four from behind the arc, and led the way with four steals to help give team USA the Americas Championship title.

Side note: Pitino should go try to get on Canada's staff. They're putting out a lot of 5 stars.

USA’s U18 men’s basketball team are the FIBA U18 Americas Champions. On Saturday, team USA defeated Canada 113-74, taking home the gold.

(apparently not enough)

I actually agree with Dickie V about something. He's right, college coaches have no business coaching kids they're recruiting, it's a tremendously unfair advantage.

I actually agree with Dickie V about something. He's right, college coaches have no business coaching kids they're recruiting, it's a tremendously unfair advantage

Coaching will never be the difference between gold and not gold. Give the job to a high school coach, pro coach, D1-AA coach, NBA player, whatever, don't let Bill Self sell these kids on Kansas for however long they're together.

I don't think it's shocking the Hurt had a great tournament when Self had every reason to make him happy in his system.

I actually agree with Dickie V about something. He's right, college coaches have no business coaching kids they're recruiting, it's a tremendously unfair advantage.

Ya think Dickie V, but how will USA basketball survive without those coaches being involved???? I'm sure there aren't any other qualified coaches, sarcasm.

Bill Self is one of the dirtiest guys out there. I can't wait until he gets pinched. He's right up there with the guy from Kentucky. I'd love to see him go down.

He'll be a possible option off the bench when down 8, with 3 minutes to play. He could possibly hit a 3.

Yeah, because top 5 players in the country typically have a hard time finding consistent playing time for Kansas.

He'll be a possible option off the bench when down 8, with 3 minutes to play. He could possibly hit a 3.
Doesn't matter where he goes he is going to play and play a lot should start almost anywhere he goes. Hopefully he decides to stay home and get 1 more year with his brother and make his home state proud.

From shoe company money.

Not every AAU program is dirty, but as a 'whole' AAU is filthy.

In what way? The system as a whole is...weird at times but it's pretty straight forward from the players perspective. You're playing to get out there in front of college coaches so you can get scholarships. You're also playing to play the best competition you can. If you're good enough to play for the A team for a Nike/Adidas/UA sponsored team you're playing for free and get free gear and get to travel the region or the country. The guys that run the programs are getting paid as are the coaches, though the vast majority of them aren't making enough for that to be their only job. The 'shadiness' is mostly from kids without great parental guidance who are ALSO high level talents and are being pursued by agents and shoe company reps to try and steer them to their companies or to their preferred schools. For the most part it's not the cess pool people make it out to be. Plus there are tons of kids that get opportunities to play and team structure they would've never gotten if it weren't for AAU

In what way? The system as a whole is...weird at times but it's pretty straight forward from the players perspective. You're playing to get out there in front of college coaches so you can get scholarships. You're also playing to play the best competition you can. If you're good enough to play for the A team for a Nike/Adidas/UA sponsored team you're playing for free and get free gear and get to travel the region or the country. The guys that run the programs are getting paid as are the coaches, though the vast majority of them aren't making enough for that to be their only job. The 'shadiness' is mostly from kids without great parental guidance who are ALSO high level talents and are being pursued by agents and shoe company reps to try and steer them to their companies or to their preferred schools. For the most part it's not the cess pool people make it out to be. Plus there are tons of kids that get opportunities to play and team structure they would've never gotten if it weren't for AAU

Families of players playing for high profile sponsored teams have told me it is still not free for them. Still fees involved. Some may get the free ride, but it sounds like very few. The same families have said they are fine with paying if the coaches are getting justly paid. They see and appreciate all the work they do and think they should get paid for it.

In theory, but I would think the FBI would disagree about how innocent the AAU/shoe/agents/coaches are in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem to already be resenting the possibility of him going elsewhere. Most top 5 players don't end up going to their home-state school, especially when that school has been a complete non-factor on the national level for a very long time. I know all of us die-hard Gopher fans are convinced that we would stay here if we were in these players' shoes, but that's just not realistic.

Families of players playing for high profile sponsored teams have told me it is still not free for them. Still fees involved. Some may get the free ride, but it sounds like very few. The same families have said they are fine with paying if the coaches are getting justly paid. They see and appreciate all the work they do and think they should get paid for it.

I can believe that. Depends on the situation. My kid is going into 8th grade and we had to pay/raise a little bit last year but not nearly what the standard fee was. But he was essentially recruited by the program and we had options. I'm sure there are some fees that are being asked and for those that can afford it I'm sure they pay. Others help fundraise. But there are tons of kids playing that don't pay a dime. You think HP or D1 MN is gonna lose a kid that can help them win because they can't afford it? Nah. But all of those teams have kids on the end of the bench and some of them are playing. My kids program charged $1200 and had 9 7th grade teams. He was on the 'elite' team and I know for a fact at least 3 of the starters including him were paying less than half that.

In theory, but I would think the FBI would disagree about how innocent the AAU/shoe/agents/coaches are in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FBI was dealing with the situation as it pertains to the NCAA.

I can believe that. Depends on the situation. My kid is going into 8th grade and we had to pay/raise a little bit last year but not nearly what the standard fee was. But he was essentially recruited by the program and we had options. I'm sure there are some fees that are being asked and for those that can afford it I'm sure they pay. Others help fundraise. But there are tons of kids playing that don't pay a dime. You think HP or D1 MN is gonna lose a kid that can help them win because they can't afford it? Nah. But all of those teams have kids on the end of the bench and some of them are playing. My kids program charged $1200 and had 9 7th grade teams. He was on the 'elite' team and I know for a fact at least 3 of the starters including him were paying less than half that.

My son (and I) got suckered into AAA summer traveling hockey tryouts. They basically were a fund raiser for the one team. Most of the players had already been picked, but they prey on the hopes of kid’s who have not yet made it into the circle... it has changed some, now they have AAA local summer leagues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom