All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

So if he can't get his team to the state, why does everyone think we could compete with the best colleges in the nation if we got him? This just floors me that that much talent can't get them there.

He would give the Gophs a better chance to compete. It no way puts the U on par with any of those top 10 programs especially since he will be here one year and then your faced with a replacement you can not get.

He would give the Gophs a better chance to compete. It no way puts the U on par with any of those top 10 programs especially since he will be here one year and then your faced with a replacement you can not get.

Matthew is a top 5 player in the country. He cant play 1 v5. His HS is very average besides him. He has to score 40 pts or they lose.

Hes one of the best players to come out of MN. Garcia may he better but right now. He would instantly legitimize the Gophers to top 5 in B1G. Hes that good

Matthew is a top 5 player in the country. He cant play 1 v5. His HS is very average besides him. He has to score 40 pts or they lose.

Hes one of the best players to come out of MN. Garcia may he better but right now. He would instantly legitimize the Gophers to top 5 in B1G. Hes that good

Very aware of how good he is. Was not worried about top 5 in the conference.

So if he can't get his team to the state, why does everyone think we could compete with the best colleges in the nation if we got him? This just floors me that that much talent can't get them there.

Different coaching strategy. They absolutely have two college recruits on their team with other competent role players. The team is 7-5 overall and 4-3 in conference play with a player who is without a doubt top 5 in talent in the country. It's not Matthew Hurt's fault they have lost 5 of 12.
Watch a game and it won't seem at all impossible any more that they could lose to most anyone.
Read post 1286 for some more background

I don’t think that will happen unfortunately. Not enough fire power to compete with the big city schools.

Go Gophers!

It's not big city schools, it's big city school. They've lost in the section final every year to Lakeville North. His 9th and 11th grade years they were both great games with JM leading late in the game in both. JM should have probably won one if not both of those games. His 10th grade year JM had an injury to a very good guard and he didn't play, and then their other stud, who played JC for a year then signed with Nebraska (before he suddenly left) picked up his 3rd and 4th fouls early in the second half. Lakeville North was loaded that year (Ruevers was a senior and Wahl was a sophomore) beat them by 15-20 in that game. Lakeville North has been loaded and deep the last several years. I don't see JM beating them this year, but Hurt is a stud.

It's not big city schools, it's big city school. They've lost in the section final every year to Lakeville North. His 9th and 11th grade years they were both great games with JM leading late in the game in both. JM should have probably won one if not both of those games. His 10th grade year JM had an injury to a very good guard and he didn't play, and then their other stud, who played JC for a year then signed with Nebraska (before he suddenly left) picked up his 3rd and 4th fouls early in the second half. Lakeville North was loaded that year (Ruevers was a senior and Wahl was a sophomore) beat them by 15-20 in that game. Lakeville North has been loaded and deep the last several years. I don't see JM beating them this year, but Hurt is a stud.

Was at the section final when Matthew was a freshman and Reuvers a junior. Thought the two of them were about equal in that game. Close game that was decided at the end.

Was at the section final when Matthew was a freshman and Reuvers a junior. Thought the two of them were about equal in that game. Close game that was decided at the end.

JM couldn't buy a break against Lakeville from what I've been told. Also, doesn't LN have 5 guys that have to be guarded while JM usually has about 2 or 3 that need to be guarded.

I was at the 9th and 10th grade years, and listened last year on the radio. Last it was really close the whole game, but JM was up in the last minute and ended up losing. No offense to LN and the rest of section 1AAAA, but I hope JM makes it this year. I watched Tyus Jones play several games in high school, and for me watching Hurt play is just as fun, if not more fun.

JM couldn't buy a break against Lakeville from what I've been told. Also, doesn't LN have 5 guys that have to be guarded while JM usually has about 2 or 3 that need to be guarded.

In that particular game both teams were loaded. LN executed better at the end.

Not a big LN fan by any means, but they seem veey well coached.

Two years ago, when Hurt was sophomore, LN was super deep. JM had one of their stud guards hurt (no pun intended) and was out for the game. JM had a PG who I think plays D2, probably in the Northern Sun somewhere who did play in that game. JM also had a kid named Dedoch Chan who signed with Nebraska after a year of JC this past summer. So they had 4 pretty good players, but only three were able to play in that game, and Chan fouled out early after being in foul trouble right away. LN ended up winning by about 15-20 points. LN that year had Reuvers, who was a senior and plays at Wisconsin now, and also a kid named Wahl who is a senior this year and is going to Wisconsin next year. Plus they were about 9 or 10 deep, really athletic and really good. Once Chan fouled out, they were able to double Hurt with two guys who are going to play college basketball at Wisconsin. I liked Reuvers a lot coming out of high school, and wished he would have gone to the U of M, but watching both Hurt and Reuvers on the court together back when Hurt was a sophomore, it seemed like Hurt was definitely the better player, but LN was definitely the better basketball team. If JM would have been at full strength and not gotten into foul trouble, it probably would have been three great section finals 3 years in a row, but my guess is that LN's depth would have won out in the end.

Not a big LN fan by any means, but they seem veey well coached.

Well they have gone to state 7 years in a row, won it once with Macura, have two runner-up finishes, a 3rd and 4th place finish at state over that time, so they seem to have a pretty successful program the last several years.

per Shooter:

That was Kansas men’s basketball coach Bill Self and an assistant in Sioux Falls, S.D., the other day watching 6-9 Rochester John Marshall senior Matthew Hurt, who has been offered a tender by the Jawhawks.

Interestingly, Hurt’s sister Katie, a 5-11 John Marshall ninth-grade player, has been offered a women’s basketball tender by Kansas.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/...uld-add-randy-wittman-to-ryan-saunders-staff/

Go Gophers!!

You're too kind. His teammates are far below average.

Ben Simmons couldn't even get LSU to the NCAA tournament. He doesn't belong in the NBA.

See how this year progresses but if Washington continues to improve I could see a starting lineup of Washington, Carr, Coffey, Hurt, and Oturo with Kalschuer and Curry off the bench being very close to a top 10.

See how this year progresses but if Washington continues to improve I could see a starting lineup of Washington, Carr, Coffey, Hurt, and Oturo with Kalschuer and Curry off the bench being very close to a top 10.

That seems plausible

I said program, not year and i think it ignores what other programs are doing. Hope he plays here but one year and then both he and Coffey are gone and i do not see a top 10 program in that. Respect your opinion but just disagree.

You're too kind. His teammates are far below average.

Have you seen them play? Below average compared to the other teams 3,4,5,6 players they have played? I'd disagree strongly. Many teams don't have one college player. Many teams don't have one 6'5 guy or taller who can play. JM has two really good 6'9 or taller guys. The other JM guys can play sufficiently. Nobody guards anybody. They have no offensive attack.
One example: In the last few years watching JM, the last two coaches, I have never seen a defensive trap. JM has always had multiple athletic tall players. They always play teams with 5'10-6' guards. One of countless examples of 100 things they could do to utilize the strengths they do have, but don't. Posting up Hurt would mean they'd be undefeated for example. He's good every where. He's unstoppable around the basket and from the free throw line. How long would it take the other teams only post defender (and probably 6'3) do be in foul trouble? Three possessions? Five? They have sufficient talent on the roster and vastly superior talent in two players to 99% of the teams they play.

I said program, not year and i think it ignores what other programs are doing. Hope he plays here but one year and then both he and Coffey are gone and i do not see a top 10 program in that. Respect your opinion but just disagree.

Gophers will never be a top 10 program over time, isn't ever going to happen.

Agreed. There are many factors outside of basketball that don't allow that to happen. This program could be a top 25 program, but you might argue that for any school in a major conference.

So who do you consider to be consistent top 10 programs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben Simmons couldn't even get LSU to the NCAA tournament. He doesn't belong in the NBA.

I actually read recently that four other members of that UCLA team have now been signed to at least a g league contract. Adds an interesting twist to his time at UCLA. Killing it now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you seen them play? Below average compared to the other teams 3,4,5,6 players they have played? I'd disagree strongly. Many teams don't have one college player. Many teams don't have one 6'5 guy or taller who can play. JM has two really good 6'9 or taller guys. The other JM guys can play sufficiently. Nobody guards anybody. They have no offensive attack.
One example: In the last few years watching JM, the last two coaches, I have never seen a defensive trap. JM has always had multiple athletic tall players. They always play teams with 5'10-6' guards. One of countless examples of 100 things they could do to utilize the strengths they do have, but don't. Posting up Hurt would mean they'd be undefeated for example. He's good every where. He's unstoppable around the basket and from the free throw line. How long would it take the other teams only post defender (and probably 6'3) do be in foul trouble? Three possessions? Five? They have sufficient talent on the roster and vastly superior talent in two players to 99% of the teams they play.

I've seen about every team in Hurt's conference, and I wouldn't even put JM in my top 3. East, Mayo, and Austin all have much better talent than JM. If Hurt wasn't there there they would be right in the middle. Beating up on the really bad teams in the conference, and getting beat up by all the top teams.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Matthew Hurt was at Kansas for the Jayhawks’ game with Texas Tech on Saturday. That is Hurt’s fourth official visit. Last weekend, Roy Williams of North Carolina visited him at home. Hurt is averaging 35.7 points per game for Rochester John Marshall.

http://www.startribune.com/sid-s-jottings/505254122/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom