All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

You're not wrong at all.

But your post also has a bit of a desperation to it. *Some* of these kids simply have zero interest in going to class, and will take $125k in a second. The NCAA is absolutely going to lose some of the elite prospects to these contracts, going forward.

They won't get the TV time that playing on an elite college program gives ... but for someone (not you necessarily) to suggest that the NBA would be less aware of the talent and perhaps less willing to spend a high level draft pick on them ... is just plain dishonest. The NBA knows exactly who is who and what they have to offer the league, regardless if they're in high school, college, overseas, or in the G-league.

Also, a prospect can sign with the G-league, try it for a year, bank $125k, and if it doesn't work out ... THEN they can enroll in college. Right? Why would that not be allowed?? Would seem to just be sour grapes by the NCAA, if not ...

I think the point of all of this is that college offers greater visibility for top prospects. The visibility that they gain helps them build their individual brand and name recognition. This brand building makes them more marketable and fetches them bigger endorsement deals. End result is more money if you play college ball.

You're not wrong at all.

But your post also has a bit of a desperation to it. *Some* of these kids simply have zero interest in going to class, and will take $125k in a second. The NCAA is absolutely going to lose some of the elite prospects to these contracts, going forward.

They won't get the TV time that playing on an elite college program gives ... but for someone (not you necessarily) to suggest that the NBA would be less aware of the talent and perhaps less willing to spend a high level draft pick on them ... is just plain dishonest. The NBA knows exactly who is who and what they have to offer the league, regardless if they're in high school, college, overseas, or in the G-league.

Also, a prospect can sign with the G-league, try it for a year, bank $125k, and if it doesn't work out ... THEN they can enroll in college. Right? Why would that not be allowed?? Would seem to just be sour grapes by the NCAA, if not ...

The bolded is certainly true. Good point.

I think the point of all of this is that college offers greater visibility for top prospects. The visibility that they gain helps them build their individual brand and name recognition. This brand building makes them more marketable and fetches them bigger endorsement deals. End result is more money if you play college ball.

Undeniably more visibility ... if you’re a star (or major contributor) at an elite program. Otherwise, not so sure. Even Minnesota ... if Jordan Murphy goes on to be a star in the league ... will people have known him before the league?? Guess it depends how/if we do in March Madness this season.

I think talent evaluators know who offers what, regardless where you play (though strength of the competition you’re going against is of course a factor in evaluating talent!).

So my point is that visibility in college ultimately just amounts to hype. You’re not a star in the league ... until you’re a star in the league. And the visibility you did or didn’t get in college seems to correlate with that very poorly in some cases. Steph Curry for example. May as well come up through G-league.

Last edited:

Undeniably more visibility ... if you’re a star (or major contributor) at an elite program. Otherwise, not so sure.

And my point is, talent evaluators know who offers what, regardless where you play (though strength of the competition you’re going against is of course a factor in evaluating talent!).

So my point is that visibility in college ultimately just amounts to hype. You’re not a star in the league ... until you’re a star in the league. And the visibility you did or didn’t get in college seems to correlate with that very poorly in some cases. Steph Curry for example. May as well come up through G-league.

Long term I would agree, not sure a guy like Jonny Flynn gets drafted in the first round and gets a guaranteed contract if he played in the G league, he may have still played in the NBA but he would have had to work for it a bit more.

Long term I would agree, not sure a guy like Jonny Flynn gets drafted in the first round and gets a guaranteed contract if he played in the G league, he may have still played in the NBA but he would have had to work for it a bit more.

I understand your argument ... but I have to question (because I don’t understand) why would that be true??

Why would it be possible for a player to be a star at Duke as an 18 year old, going against other elite college programs/players, but that same guy’s talent wouldn’t shine just as much in the G-league?

And if that just is true, for whatever reasons, then wouldn’t that imply that the G-league is a much more rigorous proving grounds for players to show that they’re worth high draft picks, regardless that they get much less TV time??

I understand your argument ... but I have to question (because I don’t understand) why would that be true??

Why would it be possible for a player to be a star at Duke as an 18 year old, going against other elite college programs/players, but that same guy’s talent wouldn’t shine just as much in the G-league?

And if that just is true, for whatever reasons, then wouldn’t that imply that the G-league is a much more rigorous proving grounds for players to show that they’re worth high draft picks, regardless that they get much less TV time??

The NBA Drafts 100% on potential (specifically in the lottery). I think what most are trying to say is that the likely hood of being exposed is far greater in the G league going up against 25 year olds than going up against other 18-21 year olds even if they are also 'elite level' talents. I would think if you dominate the G league that would get you a significant bump over the guys that dominate college.

Nice to have the the option out there for those in immediate financial need or have zero interest in going to 'class' for 1/2 a year and being the big man on campus.

(Should this be its own thread? I get the potential relevance to Hurt but it seems to have diverted away from him. I click this thread hoping to find news or gossip people have heard under the bleachers on which way he is leaning.)

Could be because of the system and coaches at the college game. I've got to believe the best coaches in college are probably better than the G-league coaches. Maybe a kid is very immature so the structure of college could help them for a year or two.

Because you've got 9 other guys that are on par in ability on the court in the G league, in college you might have one or two.

Please keep this thread on Hurt. All additional non-Hurt posts will be deleted. The new one and done rule should be its own thread.

Undeniably more visibility ... if you’re a star (or major contributor) at an elite program. Otherwise, not so sure. Even Minnesota ... if Jordan Murphy goes on to be a star in the league ... will people have known him before the league?? Guess it depends how/if we do in March Madness this season.

I think talent evaluators know who offers what, regardless where you play (though strength of the competition you’re going against is of course a factor in evaluating talent!).

I thought this was a discussion about elite prospects who nearly always play at elite programs. Most players sign shoe deals before they step foot on an NBA court. While it's convenient to use Steph Curry as an example, most "elite" draft picks don't have quite the same career trajectory and may be dependent upon a good first deal. Look at Anthony Bennett, he was the first overall pick, I don't have any clue how much his shoe deal was worth but it was probably better than what he would have earned coming out of the G-League.

Anyway, do you know what players are eligible for the $125K? I haven't read too much about this, is it top 100 prospects? I suppose Matthew Hurt would qualify.

Last edited:

We're supposed to keep this thread on Hurt, so I am going to reply to you in the "G League to offer $125k..." thread.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Courier Journal: Matthew Hurt eager to see how IU basketball develops Romeo Langford

Matthew Hurt is no stranger to big-name universities.

The 6-9 power forward from John Marshall High School in Rochester, Minnesota, has an offer from all but one college programs that have won an NCAA basketball championship since 2005.

There’s little that one team’s trophy case can show off that another can’t match.

At the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Minicamp over the weekend, Hurt said his choice will come down to the school that plays with a style that matches his own.

“More up-tempo,” he said. “I grab the rebound, push it up the floor by myself. And then just playing fast, that’s my main objective.”

The No. 6-rated talent in the 2019 class, per 247Sports, is also interested to see how schools develop potential one-and-done players. An example is Indiana freshman Romeo Langford, a five-star recruit who chose the Hoosiers over offers from a tall stack of offers.

"I'm pretty sure he's one-and-done," Hurt said. "I just want to see how they develop him. What they do for him is key for me."

Hurt’s abilities match the ideal big man in today’s NBA. He’s a confident ball-handler, an able shooter in both mid-range and beyond the arc, and can make key passes with his ability to spread the floor.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...asketball-develops-romeo-langford/1568789002/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds a little bit like what they are doing with Amir this season. I can see that as another angle towards Hurt's recruitment.

Just a random Gopher fan on reddit, so take it with a grain of salt, but I figured I'd share it here:

I've talked to someone that is close with the Hurt family and according to him, Matthew is still considering Minnesota heavily, but it will all depend on how the Gophers do this year for a few reasons. One being he wants to compete for a Final 4 and another being he wants his brother to get meaningful minutes so they could legit play with each other again next year and be competitive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBas...ota_defeats_minnesotaduluth_10953_in/e8wvb84/

Also keep in mind that it Matthew does not come here, Mike will most likely grad transfer to a well known Catholic school. I do think we are in his top three.

Michael never redshirted though so he wouldn't be able to grad transfer unless he is ahead of schedule academically.

Michael never redshirted though so he wouldn't be able to grad transfer unless he is ahead of schedule academically.

I said the same thing a little while back when I saw someone else mentioned the possibility of Michael Hurt grad transferring, and I think I was told that he may have earned a handful of college credits in high school that could allow him to do so, or something like that.

Don't forget, these players often take summer school credits. This allows them to lower credit load during the season, while maintaining the NCAA requirements on degree progress per year.

So I do believe it is possible to earn the 120 (or whatever it is) credits in 3.5 calendar years.

Soooo better hope he didn't watch the Duke game lmao

Soooo better hope he didn't watch the Duke game lmao

Why? Cause he didn't know that Duke has 4 of the overall top 10 freshmen every year now? I don't think Duke blowing out Kentucky is telling him anything he doesn't already know. If he just wanted to go to a blue blood and try and win a national title, I believe he would have made that decision by now. Early signing period starts next week.

Watched a bit of that game - Couldn’t help but think if Hurt or someone else starts the trend of the 5 star guys staying home (especially if the bribe payments for attending these schools start to dry up), guys like Tre Jones and Reid Travis would both be in maroon and gold along with all of the other talent we already have... I’d argue we’d be a top 5 team.

Self is coming in to watch Matthew practice in the next couple days. No one has come to see him more than Self! Still think it is between Kansas, Mn, NC.

Self is coming in to watch Matthew practice in the next couple days. No one has come to see him more than Self! Still think it is between Kansas, Mn, NC.

Self will go down in the next 2-3 years though, if not right now. Likely the dirtiest recruiter and program in the nation. It won't be long I don't think. He has come close to being busted recently.

Last edited:

per Shooter:

Suddenly, it looks like Matthew Hurt, the 6-9 Rochester Marshall nationally-sought power forward, could end up committing to Memphis, coached by Anfernee Hardaway and assistant Sam Mitchell, the ex-Timberwolves coach.

The Gophers, though, remain in the hunt. Hurt, whose brother Michael is a junior with the Gophers, attended Tuesday night’s 104-76 Minnesota victory over Nebraska Omaha.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/10/charley-walters-joe-mauer-will-make-hall-of-fame-eventually/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Suddenly, it looks like Matthew Hurt, the 6-9 Rochester Marshall nationally-sought power forward, could end up committing to Memphis, coached by Anfernee Hardaway and assistant Sam Mitchell, the ex-Timberwolves coach.

The Gophers, though, remain in the hunt. Hurt, whose brother Michael is a junior with the Gophers, attended Tuesday night’s 104-76 Minnesota victory over Nebraska Omaha.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/10/charley-walters-joe-mauer-will-make-hall-of-fame-eventually/

Go Gophers!!

Any reasoning behind this? I'm kind of assuming he has no personal inside scoop. I went to check the 247 crystal ball, as that would seem like a fairly likely source, but it's still mostly predictions for Kansas from months if not years ago. I know Memphis is in the hunt for Hurt, but I think this is the first I've heard of them being favored.

Top Bottom