All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

I love that Pitino is going all in on Hurt. He can play 4 spots, maybe all 5 who knows. Next year with Coffey, Curry, Hurt, Willis and IW as a starting 5, lights out athleticism.

KC Star: KU basketball recruit Matthew Hurt being pursued heavily by in-state school

Minnesota remains a serious contender for Matthew Hurt, a 6-foot-9 senior forward from John Marshall High in Rochester, Minn., who also has basketball powerhouses Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Villanova on his list of prospective schools.

Hurt, the No. 6-rated player in the recruiting Class of 2019 by Rivals.com., was to be visited by Gophers coach Richard Pitino on Thursday for the second time after an in-home visit last week, according to a report in the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Hurt’s brother, Michael, is a junior forward at Minnesota.

“Hurt has not scheduled any official visits and doesn’t appear to be in any rush to announce his finalists right now,” writes Marcus Fuller of the Star Tribune. “He’s working on a different timetable than the typical process, but Hurt’s in a position as a top-10 talent in his class to be patient if he wants to.”

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article218709165.html

Go Gophers!!

A year ago, I thought we had no chance. Now, though I think we are still underdogs, I get this weird feeling we have a real shot. Maybe I'm just drinking the koolaid.

I like that we haven’t given up, but I’m not all that hopeful, either. We’ve been finalists (maybe not real ones, but who really knows) for almost all of the top local kids—only to be disappointed in the end. Playing with his brother might be a draw, but how meaningful to him? I’d be thrilled to have him (even for only one year) but I still think he goes to a blue blood.

I like that we haven’t given up, but I’m not all that hopeful, either. We’ve been finalists (maybe not real ones, but who really knows) for almost all of the top local kids—only to be disappointed in the end. Playing with his brother might be a draw, but how meaningful to him? I’d be thrilled to have him (even for only one year) but I still think he goes to a blue blood.
Exactly, who really knows? The young man isn’t saying anything much is he? If he picks the Gophers perhaps it will be because he has favored us all along but we fans will be both happy and somewhat shocked it happened. Likewise perhaps if he goes elsewhere Minnesota may have been his last choice but for soothing the locals he would never say that. Continue on hoping but expect that any decision that happens will be despite us fans.

Last edited:

I mean he’s a 1 and done this is the last chance for him to play competitive basketball with his brother, he might as well do it here. 1 year with mike and he can move on with his pro career from there. Would be great to have him

I mean he’s a 1 and done this is the last chance for him to play competitive basketball with his brother, he might as well do it here. 1 year with mike and he can move on with his pro career from there. Would be great to have him

And why wouldn’t he want to be the standout on a good team? These talents going to other teams where they are the third or fourth best player on the team seems odd to me.

It is too bad Tre Jones choose to go to Duke instead of joining Otoru, Omersa, and Kalschauer at home. Even though Tre is most likely a one-and-done, he would have made it easier for kids like Hurt to seriously consider Minnesota.

Matthew hurt waiting for the season to decide is good. I feel like if the gophers play good he could pick us. If it was before the season we’d have no shot

Matthew hurt waiting for the season to decide is good. I feel like if the gophers play good he could pick us. If it was before the season we’d have no shot

Exactly, but we must get out of the gate strong. If we don’t then he is long gone.

Exactly, but we must get out of the gate strong. If we don’t then he is long gone.
And not that you should be playing for a recruit. The recruit is the byproduct, happens to be a very nice byproduct.

STrib: Five-star senior Matthew Hurt wants to take official visits during college hoops season

Matthew Hurt is in no rush to make a decision. He wants to see how the schools recruiting him play first.

The five-star forward from Rochester John Marshall said recently he’ll take some of his official visits when the college basketball season starts next month.

“I’m trying to get my official visits in for games," Hurt told Rivals recruiting analyst Eric Bossi while at the USA Basketball junior national team minicamp in Colorado Springs.

"Like on a Saturday when I can come down and see the real atmosphere and environment for a game. I want to see how they prep a team before a game and stuff like that because I’ll consider a lot of that in my decision.”

Many of his peers have already taken visits to watch teams practice and attend football games, but Hurt said that's a different experience than he's looking for right now.

“Football games are probably more fun type visits because you are there with the team and the students having fun," he told Rivals. "But I think I will get more out of it by going to a basketball game.”

Hurt hasn’t cut any schools from this list, but seven are contacting him the most right now. In no order those programs are Kansas, Minnesota, Duke, North Carolina, Memphis, Indiana and Kentucky.

Waiting until the season to host Hurt for an official visit gives the Gophers a better chance to show him how much they’ve improved after going 15-17 last season. Hurt’s brother, Michael, should have a more prominent role as a junior in what might be a bounce back year for coach Richard Pitino.

Hurt’s family has a relationship with Pitino, but the Gophers have six newcomers (Marcus Carr, Payton Willis, Brock Stull, Daniel Oturu, Jarvis Omersa and Gabe Kalscheur) and two new assistants (Kyle Lindsted and Rob Jeter). Getting to know this 2018-19 Minnesota squad better should help Hurt be more comfortable with his decision, whether it happens in the fall or spring signing period.

http://www.startribune.com/five-sta...visits-during-college-hoops-season/496283251/

Go Gophers!!

Courier Journal: Matthew Hurt eager to see how IU basketball develops Romeo Langford

Matthew Hurt is no stranger to big-name universities.

The 6-9 power forward from John Marshall High School in Rochester, Minnesota, has an offer from all but one college programs that have won an NCAA basketball championship since 2005.

There’s little that one team’s trophy case can show off that another can’t match.

At the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Minicamp over the weekend, Hurt said his choice will come down to the school that plays with a style that matches his own.

“More up-tempo,” he said. “I grab the rebound, push it up the floor by myself. And then just playing fast, that’s my main objective.”

The No. 6-rated talent in the 2019 class, per 247Sports, is also interested to see how schools develop potential one-and-done players. An example is Indiana freshman Romeo Langford, a five-star recruit who chose the Hoosiers over offers from a tall stack of offers.

"I'm pretty sure he's one-and-done," Hurt said. "I just want to see how they develop him. What they do for him is key for me."

Hurt’s abilities match the ideal big man in today’s NBA. He’s a confident ball-handler, an able shooter in both mid-range and beyond the arc, and can make key passes with his ability to spread the floor.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...asketball-develops-romeo-langford/1568789002/

Go Gophers!!

Courier Journal: Matthew Hurt eager to see how IU basketball develops Romeo Langford

Matthew Hurt is no stranger to big-name universities.

The 6-9 power forward from John Marshall High School in Rochester, Minnesota, has an offer from all but one college programs that have won an NCAA basketball championship since 2005.

There’s little that one team’s trophy case can show off that another can’t match.

At the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Minicamp over the weekend, Hurt said his choice will come down to the school that plays with a style that matches his own.

“More up-tempo,” he said. “I grab the rebound, push it up the floor by myself. And then just playing fast, that’s my main objective.”

The No. 6-rated talent in the 2019 class, per 247Sports, is also interested to see how schools develop potential one-and-done players. An example is Indiana freshman Romeo Langford, a five-star recruit who chose the Hoosiers over offers from a tall stack of offers.

"I'm pretty sure he's one-and-done," Hurt said. "I just want to see how they develop him. What they do for him is key for me."

Hurt’s abilities match the ideal big man in today’s NBA. He’s a confident ball-handler, an able shooter in both mid-range and beyond the arc, and can make key passes with his ability to spread the floor.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...asketball-develops-romeo-langford/1568789002/

Go Gophers!!

Well, at least he's not going to WisconSIN then (Given a chance to rip on the BADgers, I always take it...)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not so fast, my friend

hmm. I'm curious as to why that is. I'm sure going to a major cbb program would mean more exposure in terms of # of games on TV, so I guess that could be a factor. But this isn't the 1960s. NBA teams have the resources to scout guys without the help of ESPN. If you are good enough to make it in the league they will find you. I'd be curious to hear the reasoning behind that statement.

hmm. I'm curious as to why that is. I'm sure going to a major cbb program would mean more exposure in terms of # of games on TV, so I guess that could be a factor. But this isn't the 1960s. NBA teams have the resources to scout guys without the help of ESPN. If you are good enough to make it in the league they will find you. I'd be curious to hear the reasoning behind that statement.

The majority of it probably is down to marketing. What if Trae Young for example chooses the G-League over Oklahoma? May have still been drafted that high but wouldn’t be the household name he is now with basketball fans. Unless a player is in desperate need of money it’s hard to see them jumping to the G-League or anything similar for a season. There’s better coaches in CBB too.

Maybe if they dont look as good in G league their stock might fall going up against better guys. If they play college they can dominate and keep their draft stock high. Just a thought.

Maybe if they dont look as good in G league their stock might fall going up against better guys. If they play college they can dominate and keep their draft stock high. Just a thought.

That would be the biggest risk I would guess, competition in the G league wouldn't be anything like it would be at the college level.

No idea how many of these there will be, and if Hurt would qualify for one .... but $125k a year contract and access to NBA level facilities and training ... you wouldn't take that over a year at an elite college program?? Sorry, I don't buy it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

I would think a year of fun, notoriety and the glory of college basketball for a high level player would be well worth the loss of a $125,000 contract earned in anonymity. If he's that good the 125K is a drop in the bucket later. If he's not that good he should stay in college.

I would think a year of fun, notoriety and the glory of college basketball for a high level player would be well worth the loss of a $125,000 contract earned in anonymity. If he's that good the 125K is a drop in the bucket later. If he's not that good he should stay in college.

I agree it’s defintely less risk averse long term to go to college (guaranteed 4 years, get a degree, etc.) if the whole basketball thing doesn’t work out. I also agree with previous posters in that your marketing is betterbin college unless you’re like a Lebron type talent who can sign a shoe deal straight out of high school

You're not wrong at all.

But your post also has a bit of a desperation to it. *Some* of these kids simply have zero interest in going to class, and will take $125k in a second. The NCAA is absolutely going to lose some of the elite prospects to these contracts, going forward.

They won't get the TV time that playing on an elite college program gives ... but for someone (not you necessarily) to suggest that the NBA would be less aware of the talent and perhaps less willing to spend a high level draft pick on them ... is just plain dishonest. The NBA knows exactly who is who and what they have to offer the league, regardless if they're in high school, college, overseas, or in the G-league.

Also, a prospect can sign with the G-league, try it for a year, bank $125k, and if it doesn't work out ... THEN they can enroll in college. Right? Why would that not be allowed?? Would seem to just be sour grapes by the NCAA, if not ...

You're not wrong at all.

But your post also has a bit of a desperation to it. *Some* of these kids simply have zero interest in going to class, and will take $125k in a second. The NCAA is absolutely going to lose some of the elite prospects to these contracts, going forward.

They won't get the TV time that playing on an elite college program gives ... but for someone (not you necessarily) to suggest that the NBA would be less aware of the talent and perhaps less willing to spend a high level draft pick on them ... is just plain dishonest. The NBA knows exactly who is who and what they have to offer the league, regardless if they're in high school, college, overseas, or in the G-league.

Also, a prospect can sign with the G-league, try it for a year, bank $125k, and if it doesn't work out ... THEN they can enroll in college. Right? Why would that not be allowed?? Would seem to just be sour grapes by the NCAA, if not ...
Are you for real with that last statement? They'll be ineligible for college hoops the second the ink dries on the GLeague contract. It's still a pro contract

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom