All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Matthew feels more like a Tar Heel than a Dukie or Wildcat. Gut feeling he goes to Chapel Hill.

per ZagsBlog:

Matthew Hurt, the 6-foot-9 forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall High, is set to receive visits from Kentucky head coach John Calipari and assistant Joel Justus, North Carolina head coach Roy Williams and assistant Hubert Davis, along with UCLA assistant David Grace on Tuesday.

Duke may possibly visit on Tuesday as well. Hurt, who is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 5 player in the Class of 2019, took unofficial visits to Duke (Oct. 20) and North Carolina (Oct. 21) earlier this year. He has also taken unofficial visits to Kentucky (Sept. 28), Indiana (Sept. 29), Minnesota (Oct. 29), and Kansas (Nov. 17).

“I think the message was not just in words but also what we saw in the scrimmage at Duke, I think the coaches wanted to point out how he would fit in,” Hurt’s father Richard told ZAGSBLOG following his Duke visit. “Coach K asked Matthew after the scrimmage when we were meeting with him in the office was, ‘Who do you see that’s out there that’s like you?’”

“Coach [Roy] Williams wanted Matthew to kind of watch Luke May a little bit,” Richard said of the UNC visit. “He said, ‘Look may not have your talent but he’s got the versatility where he can go inside and go outside, so watch him in practice.”

In a game against Lakeville South on Saturday, Hurt finished with 46 points and 17 rebounds in a 75-72 victory.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/12/11/...atthew-hurt-precious-achiuwa-jalen-gaffney-2/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Is that photo supposed to show Hurt or the visiting coaches? Doesn’t appear to do either.

Is that photo supposed to show Hurt or the visiting coaches? Doesn’t appear to do either.

One photo is of Roy Williams and Hubert Davis. The other is of John Calipari with one of his assistants. Calipari offered him a scholarship after the game from the sounds of it.

Ryan James just tweeted that Hurt has a Kentucky offer.

Per FanBuzz.com:

Five-star power forward Matthew Hurt has already set some unofficial visits to school and now he’s got five schools who he says are prioritizing him the most. When asked about it by 247Sports, he named Minnesota, Kansas, Indiana, UNC and Duke as the schools making him a priority in his recruitment.

His most recent visit was to Kansas and he had nothing but glowing remarks to make about the program.

“It was great, seeing their campus, seeing what they do on game day and how they get ready for the game and all of that,” Hurt said. “The players are great, the atmosphere is great, so it was just a great trip in general.”

“They’re comfortable to talk around,” he added about the Kansas coaches. “They’re friendly and you can say anything to them. They’re pretty young so they can relate to some of the stuff that I do.”

He also said that Minnesota is on him pretty hard since his older brother Michael plays there and he is from Rochester, Minn.

“They want me really badly,” he said about the Gophers. “They think that I could be a huge key for their team my first year in college and that I can make a big run with that team.”

http://fanbuzz.com/college-basketba...ansas-indiana-minnesota-unc-prioritizing-him/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Coaches John Calipari of Kentucky and Roy Williams of North Carolina on Tuesday were at Rochester John Marshall to see junior Matthew Hurt, brother of the Gophers’ Michael, score a school-record 48 points with nine rebounds against Red Wing. A day later, Calipari offered the 6-9, 200-pounder a scholarship.

Williams had previously offered a tender. Matthew has scored 48, 46 and 38 points already in games this season.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/1...morris-hall-of-fame-selection-with-champagne/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

When Matthew Hurt watches the college basketball programs recruiting him the hardest, the area that seems to interest him more than anything is which teams can best prepare him for the NBA.

“My goal is to make it to the NBA,” said Hurt, who is leading Rochester John Marshall Thursday against Armstrong in the Rotary U.S. Bank Holiday Classic at the Mayo Civic Center. “I’m trying to get with the right coaches who can lead me in that direction.”

Calipari’s pitch is that Kentucky is the No. 1 program to help Hurt achieve his goal of being drafted into the NBA after his freshman year in college. While Hurt doesn’t have a favorite school right now, he says the Wildcats being a one-and-done factory is a big plus.

“They’re a great one-and-done school,” he said. “Their coaches especially run a really good system. They have really successful players with my kind of skill set. They have great one-and-done players and their coaches are great. Facilities are nice.”

http://m.startribune.com/matthew-hu...er-at-the-u/467018843/?section=sports/gophers

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

When Matthew Hurt watches the college basketball programs recruiting him the hardest, the area that seems to interest him more than anything is which teams can best prepare him for the NBA.

“My goal is to make it to the NBA,” said Hurt, who is leading Rochester John Marshall Thursday against Armstrong in the Rotary U.S. Bank Holiday Classic at the Mayo Civic Center. “I’m trying to get with the right coaches who can lead me in that direction.”

Calipari’s pitch is that Kentucky is the No. 1 program to help Hurt achieve his goal of being drafted into the NBA after his freshman year in college. While Hurt doesn’t have a favorite school right now, he says the Wildcats being a one-and-done factory is a big plus.

“They’re a great one-and-done school,” he said. “Their coaches especially run a really good system. They have really successful players with my kind of skill set. They have great one-and-done players and their coaches are great. Facilities are nice.”

http://m.startribune.com/matthew-hu...er-at-the-u/467018843/?section=sports/gophers

Go Gophers!!
Calipari will even pay you like an NBA player. [emoji385][emoji385][emoji385] [emoji41] Plus you only need to pass classes for one semester. [emoji817]

per the Rochester Post Bulletin:

The programs recruiting him the hardest are a who's who of the elite: Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, Indiana and Minnesota.

The latter is of particular interest for locals because Hurt's older brother, Michael, already plays for the Gophers, and the family has been frequent visitors at Williams Arena. Richard said the Minnesota roster treats Matthew "like their little brother," and he's already established a relationship with head coach Richard Pitino, who plans to attend JM's game Tuesday at Owatonna.

While Richard Hurt said Minnesota is "probably in a better position than a lot of places" in terms of recruiting his son, Matthew also has cultivated relationships with other elite coaches, turning Rochester into a college recruiting hot spot. College selection is a fluid situation, affected by a program's success, transfers, early departures to the NBA and a host of other factors right up until the end.

"Like he told Sid Hartman on Sunday, he's going to make the best decision for himself, and I agree with that," Richard said. "This decision for him is different than Michael. Michael's dream was to play for the University of Minnesota. Matthew's dream is to play professionally and play for a long time."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_6d976216-2013-5513-ac47-1fc4209ccb83.html

Go Gophers!!

per the Rochester Post Bulletin:

John Marshall junior Matthew Hurt will have his choice of colleges to attend and play men's basketball. Hurt can officially start taking recruiting trips in January, but he is not expected to travel to a college campus in the near future.

"It's really hard to do during the season," said Richard Hurt, Matthew's father.

Hurt had carried JM to a 7-0 record through play on Thursday night and the Rockets also had a game on Friday in the second round of the Rotary Holiday Classic. The 6-foot-9 forward was averaging a staggering 40.7 points and 13.5 rebounds through seven games.

"I'm not going to take any official visits right now," Hurt said. "I'm going to wait until the summer and fall of next year."

Hurt, who has aspirations of playing in the NBA someday, does not have a set timetable for making his college decision.

"Maybe right before the high school season next year," he said of choosing a college. "If not I'll wait until April and until I get most of my official visits done and go from there."

He is not sure how many official visits he plans to take.

"I have no idea yet. I'm just going to talk to my parents and talk to the coaches and go from there."

Hurt is rated in the top 10 of his recruiting class, and could be a player who declares for the NBA draft before using up his college eligibility. He already holds JM's all-time scoring mark and has more than 2,000 career points. He has twice set the JM single-season mark already this year with 48 and 51 points in a game.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_98bc367c-faec-5b56-9e9a-4d6ae11a208c.html

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Keeping it Heel:

According to his father, Richard, Hurt will look to narrow his list in the coming months and then make a college decision as early as next fall. They’ve also noted that the schools recruiting him the hardest are Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, Indiana and hometown favorite Minnesota.

Although the Golden Gophers don’t possess the same prestige and winning tradition as the aforementioned programs, they currently appear to have the inside track to obtaining Hurt’s services 18 months from now.

https://keepingitheel.com/2018/01/01/unc-recruiting-latest-five-star-prospect-matthew-hurt/

Go Gophers!!

per Keeping it Heel:

According to his father, Richard, Hurt will look to narrow his list in the coming months and then make a college decision as early as next fall. They’ve also noted that the schools recruiting him the hardest are Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, Indiana and hometown favorite Minnesota.

Although the Golden Gophers don’t possess the same prestige and winning tradition as the aforementioned programs, they currently appear to have the inside track to obtaining Hurt’s services 18 months from now.

https://keepingitheel.com/2018/01/01/unc-recruiting-latest-five-star-prospect-matthew-hurt/

Go Gophers!!

That is great to hear, but according to GHers, we don't want any one and done players!

That is great to hear, but according to GHers, we don't want any one and done players!

I'd be ok with a one and done player from the state of Minnesota, and if his intentions of playing as few seasons as possible was known going in.

I'd be ok with a one and done player from the state of Minnesota, and if his intentions of playing as few seasons as possible was known going in.

So you would have a problem with the Gophers having Trae Young? He was meant to be a multi year player that played his way into being a one and done. I don't understand the thinking behind that at all. There is truly no down side to having a one and done if you are a well run program. The perception of your coach and program is improved through having such a player come through it. Having the combination of Hurt and Coffey spearheading the U's basketball team would be huge for recruiting moving forward.

I really hope we can get hurt he’s going to be 1 and done no matter where he goes.. but a point guard is very important in that class as well

Top Bottom