All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

That'd be a person that's loyal to their team. They are, you're not.

lol...cheering/hoping for an 18/19 year old to fail because they didn't choose your favorite team goes beyond being loyal.....

Last edited:

again...to each their own....if you care that much about a high school player not picking your favorite college team....and legit will think its awful to watch them....or in Bordergophers case, cheer for them to lose....tells you a lot of what kind of person you are

life goes on

Depends on if you are a fan of your team or a mercenary team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

again...to each their own....if you care that much about a high school player not picking your favorite college team....and legit will think its awful to watch them....or in Bordergophers case, cheer for them to lose....tells you a lot of what kind of person you are

life goes on

This is a Gopher message board, what the hell are you talking about?

Watching Duke is awful as it is, I seriously can't imagine how any Gopher fan would enjoy watching them with 2 MN kids on the roster. Nonsense

lol...cheering/hoping for an 18/19 year old to fail because they didn't choose your favorite team goes beyond being loyal.....

Just because you don't cheer for someone doesn't mean you want them to fail. Once someone puts on a Duke uniform (or whatever uniform it is), they're no longer a MN HS kids, they're a Duke player. I will react the same to them that I would for any other Duke player regardless of who they are.

Just because you don't cheer for someone doesn't mean you want them to fail. Once someone puts on a Duke uniform (or whatever uniform it is), they're no longer a MN HS kids, they're a Duke player. I will react the same to them that I would for any other Duke player regardless of who they are.

of course it doenst matter if you cheer for them or not....i just find it comical when guys get so bitter when a kid chooses to go elsewhere...whether its Duke or any other team

life goes on
What are you talking about? I want Duke to lose regardless of who is on their team. It's certainly more interesting if they have a couple MN kids on their team. I still want them to lose.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

40% of Duke’s starting lineup next season will be Minnesota kids. Who would’ve that would ever be possible 30+ years ago when Minnesota HS talent sucked?

Dang right. I hope they both flop their brains out at Duke, I would love to see them go to duke and have K utilize their abilities so poorly neither even sniff the NBA. I'm sure Rick Pitino would love to have them go and play for his greek team in 3-4 years though.

40% of Duke’s starting lineup next season will be Minnesota kids. Who would’ve that would ever be possible 30+ years ago when Minnesota HS talent sucked?

for sure says a lot of how far the talent pool as come in MN! pretty cool to see

; said:
Also, Richard has made it clear in the past Matthew wants to play alongside a seasoned point guard who is known to be a facilitator.

From a Duke article, interesting comment, no wonder Pitino stopped recruiting him.

Last edited:

What are you talking about? I want Duke to lose regardless of who is on their team. It's certainly more interesting if they have a couple MN kids on their team. I still want them to lose.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ok lets take the team away from this, people still get mad at a kid when they don't choose the gophers...i always have chuckled and always well chuckle when i read posts on here (from middle age people) that get truly upset when a kid goes elsewhere

Also, Richard has made it clear in the past Matthew wants to play alongside a seasoned point guard who is known to be a facilitator.

But does he want to play along side a seasoned PG who is known to shoot so poorly his defender will double down on him as soon as he gets the ball?

Depends on if you are a fan of your team or a mercenary team.

What about the people who root for Minnesota kids no matter where they end up? I'd love it if all the top prospects chose the Gophers but I realize this wont happen and will always root for MN kids to be successful and represent this state.

How awful those people must be.

What about the people who root for Minnesota kids no matter where they end up? I'd love it if all the top prospects chose the Gophers but I realize this wont happen and will always root for MN kids to be successful and represent this state.

How awful those people must be.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't think that's awful. It's probably laudable. I'd probably be a better person if I went to basketball games hoping that everybody on both sides just had a fun time, and left happy. But this is sports, so cheering for one team requires cheering for the other team or teams to fail. If I actually know a kid, or were related to them, I'd probably cheer for them at a different school. But I see no reason that I have a moral obligation to cheer for a kid choosing to go to a dirty program just because he was born within a couple hundred miles. And in fact, I definitely had some schadenfreude when I saw all the Minnesota kids eliminated before the final four. Maybe that makes me an awful person, but I also think it makes me a conventional sports fan.

ok lets take the team away from this, people still get mad at a kid when they don't choose the gophers...i always have chuckled and always well chuckle when i read posts on here (from middle age people) that get truly upset when a kid goes elsewhere

Just because they are from MN doesn't mean I owe them anything. They are just another recruit if they leave to go someplace else. You think I root for players that have us in their top 5 but end up picking another team? Nope.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't think that's awful. It's probably laudable. I'd probably be a better person if I went to basketball games hoping that everybody on both sides just had a fun time, and left happy. But this is sports, so cheering for one team requires cheering for the other team or teams to fail. If I actually know a kid, or were related to them, I'd probably cheer for them at a different school. But I see no reason that I have a moral obligation to cheer for a kid choosing to go to a dirty program just because he was born within a couple hundred miles. And in fact, I definitely had some schadenfreude when I saw all the Minnesota kids eliminated before the final four. Maybe that makes me an awful person, but I also think it makes me a conventional sports fan.

Exactly. I have zero obligation to root for MN kids that leave the state for "greener" pastures. I don't them and have zero ties to them. I'm not rooting for MN as a state when Duke hangs another banner. If anything.....MN kids leaving to go to these blue bloods and winning titles just encourages others to do the same. If anything....it's better if they lose.

This is right on.

If Hurt is truly selecting his college based on being prepared for the NBA after one year, I can't believe he would select K and Duke over Calipari and Kentucky. Cal's one-and-dones have had SIGNIFICANTLY greater success in the NBA than Duke players. Look at this list (it's not exhaustive, but only the best of them), it's not even close who have been more impactful players at the next level. Cal has produced 5 legitimate stars (Cousins and Randle are borderline), while K has one (Kyrie; Deng has been a solid role player). If my career goal was to play one year in college so I'm ready to jump to the NBA and be a star, I'm headed to Lexington, not Durham.

Calipari:
- Anthony Davis
- KAT
- Derrick Rose
- John Wall
- Devin Booker
- Boogie Cousins
- Julius Randle

Krzyzewski
- Kyrie Irving
- Luol Deng
- Jayson Tatum
- Marvin Bagley III
- Jabari Parker
- Wendell Carter Jr.
- Tyus Jones
He'd a be fool to select a college based on your analysis.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He'd a be fool to select a college based on your analysis.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't expect him to select a college based on my 5 minutes of research, but since his stated goal is to be one-and-done, I do expect he'll want to be as prepared as possible for the NBA from that one season so he can be a successful NBA player. The track record of success at the next level doesn't lie: Calipari has produced FAR better one-and-done NBA players than has Coach K. That's indisputable.

If Hurt is truly selecting his college based on being prepared for the NBA after one year, I can't believe he would select K and Duke over Calipari and Kentucky. Cal's one-and-dones have had SIGNIFICANTLY greater success in the NBA than Duke players. Look at this list (it's not exhaustive, but only the best of them), it's not even close who have been more impactful players at the next level. Cal has produced 5 legitimate stars (Cousins and Randle are borderline), while K has one (Kyrie; Deng has been a solid role player). If my career goal was to play one year in college so I'm ready to jump to the NBA and be a star, I'm headed to Lexington, not Durham.

Calipari:
- Anthony Davis 2012
- KAT 2015
- Derrick Rose 2008
- John Wall 2010
- Devin Booker 2015
- Boogie Cousins 2010
- Julius Randle 2014

Krzyzewski
- Kyrie Irving 2011
- Luol Deng 2004
- Jayson Tatum
- Marvin Bagley III
- Jabari Parker
- Wendell Carter Jr.
- Tyus Jones

Not sure long-term success of OAD players is a great way to rate a college coach's abilities, since they are in that school's program for 8 months. Perhaps more important are draft rank ($), TV exposure, player reputation (no salary cap on endorsement$), preparation for life beyond of NBA. Having said that, if we are to judge coaches/programs based on OAD player success in NBA, let's at least compare equivalent career periods - most of the UK players on this list have played 4+ years, and the Duke list under 3 years. Duke has recruited/encouraged likely OAD players in earnest only for past 5 years (Kyrie was 2011, Jabari 2014). If we focus on equivalent timespan when both programs pursued likely OAD players, say 2015 to present, the lists look like this:

Calipari OAD 2015 to present
- Gilgeous-Alexander 2018
- Knox 2018
- D Fox 2017
- M Monk 2017
- Bam Adebayo 2017
- Skal Labissiere 2016
- J Murray 2016
- Booker 2015
- Trey Lyles 2015
- 2019: Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro

Krzyzewski OAD 2015 to present
- Bagley 2018
- Carter 2018
- Giles 2017
- Tatum 2017
- Ingram 2016
- Justice Winslow 2015
- Okafor 2015
- Tyus 2015
- 2019: Zion, RJ, Cam Reddish (all likely lottery $)

Let's wait 5 years and compare these players after 5-10 years in NBA - I think their NBA success could be quite similar. And then just for fun lets add in post-NBA careers of Coach K versus Cal players, since average NBA career is ~4.5 years, and these guys may want a retirement gig.

Coach K - Life beyond NBA:
- NBA GMs: Elton Brand, Billy King, Danny Ferry, Trajan Langdon
- Head coaches: Johnny Dawkins, Wojo, Amaker, Collins, Capel, Hurley, Quin Snyder/NBA HC
- Media: Bilas (also a JD degree), Jay Williams

Calipari - Life beyond NBA:
- ??? Im sure somebody has done something, just not familiar

Just because they are from MN doesn't mean I owe them anything. They are just another recruit if they leave to go someplace else. You think I root for players that have us in their top 5 but end up picking another team? Nope.

Correct. Why should I root for some kid that played high school in Minnesota if he goes to another school. If anything it shows how good we could be if they all played at the U. And “fans” like you that glorify them going to Duke reinforce the problem.

Not sure long-term success of OAD players is a great way to rate a college coach's abilities, since they are in that school's program for 8 months. Perhaps more important are draft rank ($), TV exposure, player reputation (no salary cap on endorsement$), preparation for life beyond of NBA. Having said that, if we are to judge coaches/programs based on OAD player success in NBA, let's at least compare equivalent career periods - most of the UK players on this list have played 4+ years, and the Duke list under 3 years. Duke has recruited/encouraged likely OAD players in earnest only for past 5 years (Kyrie was 2011, Jabari 2014). If we focus on equivalent timespan when both programs pursued likely OAD players, say 2015 to present, the lists look like this:

- Knox 2018
- D Fox 2017
- M Monk 2017
- Bam Adebayo 2017
- Skal Labissiere 2016
- J Murray 2016
- Booker 2015
- Trey Lyles 2015

- Bagley 2018
- Carter 2018
- Giles 2017
- Tatum 2017
- Ingram 2016
- Justice Winslow 2015
- Okafor 2015
- Tyus 2015

Let's wait 5 years and compare these players after 5-10 years in NBA - I think their NBA success could be quite similar. And then just for fun lets add in post-NBA careers of Coach K versus Cal players, since average NBA career is ~4.5 years, and these guys may want a retirement gig.

- Head coaches: Johnny Dawkins, Wojo, Amaker, Collins, Capel, Hurley, Quin Snyder/NBA HC

All of the Duke players you listed were in Durham for more than 1 year, so Cal is equal in the current era.

Correct. Why should I root for some kid that played high school in Minnesota if he goes to another school. If anything it shows how good we could be if they all played at the U. And “fans” like you that glorify them going to Duke reinforce the problem.

Correct and correct. Funny how many “fans” on this board become the judge and jury and declare a hate crime when Gopher fans are dismayed by local kids rejecting our team and who also have the audacity to want a Duke (Puke) team who regularly raids the local shelves bare of our 5-star talent to lose. It’s as if this they think we actually hate these kids and wish them ill. People, this is a SPORTS FAN BOARD. This is for fun! Lighten up! I hate Duke! It’s OK to hate the Duke team. Guess what: If I’m playing pickup basketball against my best friend, I want his team to lose. And I want him to lose. Does that mean I hate him? What a joke. I think these holy posters are the same ones who want all the kids teams to get the same trophies. Same ones who sit on their hands at the barn and scowl when I stand up to cheer and temporarily block their view. Sorry, but I do want our Gophers to win. And everyone else to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Knox 2018
- D Fox 2017
- M Monk 2017
- Bam Adebayo 2017
- Skal Labissiere 2016
- J Murray 2016
- Booker 2015
- Trey Lyles 2015

- Bagley 2018
- Carter 2018
- Giles 2017
- Tatum 2017
- Ingram 2016
- Justice Winslow 2015
- Okafor 2015
- Tyus 2015

But this proves my point that Cal has a longer and more proven track record with one-and-dones going back to at least 2008 when Rose played for him at Memphis. You can't discount that and change the comparables because it's not equitable to Krzyzewski, those are just the facts. Cal's guys HAVE distinguished themselves: Rose was NBA MVP in year 3. Davis was All-NBA first team in year 3. KAT was All-NBA third team in year 3. Wall was an All-Star in year 4. Cousins was All-NBA second team in year 5. Booker was first-team All-Rookie and is the youngest player in NBA history with back-to-back 50 point games.

But for the younger Duke guys, you're right, a few need more time to assess. Tatum (first team All-Rookie last year), Bagley and potentially even Ingram are trending in the right direction. Carter was hurt for the Bulls this year, but wasn't particularly special when he did play. Giles, Winslow, Tyus and (especially) Okafor are what they are, and will never rise to the levels of the top Kentucky guys.

Who cares if someone chooses to cheer for him or against him. There is not a jury to decide is a better fan. It is simply the nature of being a fan and having the freedom to choose. I for one hope young players pick the coach and the program they want to play for. Maybe he likes K more, thinks he is a better coach, that they are cooler, that they have a better chance to win a title, have a better school, cuter girls. He is getting to the NBA anyway. I want the kids that want to be here.

- Knox 2018
- D Fox 2017
- M Monk 2017
- Bam Adebayo 2017
- Skal Labissiere 2016
- J Murray 2016
- Booker 2015
- Trey Lyles 2015

- Bagley 2018
- Carter 2018
- Giles 2017
- Tatum 2017
- Ingram 2016
- Justice Winslow 2015
- Okafor 2015
- Tyus 2015

lol you're forgetting about one minor player from Kentucky... Karl-Anthony Towns ??? Kind of an important player for the Minnesota Timberwolves, just signed for 190M?

per Shama:

A source emailed that 2019 Mr. Basketball Matthew Hurt from Rochester John Marshall will announce his college choice on Friday, and he predicted it will be Kansas.

Another destination for Hurt could be Duke where Apple Valley’s Tre Jones has decided to pass on the NBA Draft and return to the Blue Devils for his sophomore season. Jones made 26.2 percent of his three-point shots last season. “That’s not good,” a pro basketball evaluator said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

A source emailed that 2019 Mr. Basketball Matthew Hurt from Rochester John Marshall will announce his college choice on Friday, and he predicted it will be Kansas.

Another destination for Hurt could be Duke where Apple Valley’s Tre Jones has decided to pass on the NBA Draft and return to the Blue Devils for his sophomore season. Jones made 26.2 percent of his three-point shots last season. “That’s not good,” a pro basketball evaluator said.

Go Gophers!!

It could be Kansas or it could be Duke. Solid and edgy predictions.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

High level stuff right there.

It could be Kansas or it could be Duke. Solid and edgy predictions.
What was it that Soucheray said Sid does in his columns, predict the win but set up the loss? Shama now has it as predict the loss and set up another loss.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom