All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

We might have a chance if Zeke Nnaji commits before Hurt. They are similar players with Hurt having more upside, Zeke is slightly taller.

HS basketball has always been a bit more competitive in NC than in Minnesota. Tyus is the best i’ve seen. Hurt obviously has the higher ceiling but the way Tyus completely controlled a game is unlike anything i’ve seen in Minnesota. Honestly I’m surprised Matthew is staying in state for his senior year. Just for his all around development jumping to an Oak Hill or a place like that for a season makes sense but cool to see a highly touted kid sticking around. Hopefully he’s been locked away in a weight room this summer.

some local newspaper columnist had a comment last year that Matthew was old for his grade and could graduate early and re-classify- I asked his dad about it a week or so later and he said that it was never a consideration because they want him to have a normal high school experience and play with his buddies. or as normal as it can be when you are the #6 kid in the country

Backdown guys, we do have a Minnesota high school basketball player that is in the NBA Hall of Fame and is considered one of the best power forwards in NBA history. Let’s not crown this kid just yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Backdown guys, we do have a Minnesota high school basketball player that is in the NBA Hall of Fame and is considered one of the best power forwards in NBA history. Let’s not crown this kid just yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He was pretty raw in high school, played hockey until 10th grade

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How many times f you ever saw Olberding?

El-Amin is the GOAT as far as state high school players, the 98 team wouldn't have missed a beat if he had stayed committed. Could've just plugged him into Bobby Jackson spot.

+1000

How many times f you ever saw Olberding?

my dad had the privilege to play with mark in high school! we still have the game tapes of the games from 73'-74'. Mark was simply a man amongst boys. so cool to sit down and watch them every couple of years!

my dad had the privilege to play with mark in high school! we still have the game tapes of the games from 73'-74'. Mark was simply a man amongst boys. so cool to sit down and watch them every couple of years!

Olberding was amazing. I recall the state tournament where Olberding was playing and they had on Musselman to make comments at halftime. Musselman was giddy and made no bones about Olberding being a star for him right away.

The three greatest HS players in this state that I ever saw were:

Olberding
Sam Jacobson
El Amin

McHale was good but really began to bloom in college and beyond into the greatest NBA player in Minnesota history. Even in college he was behind Thompson. He just kept getting better and better.

per Sid:

• A while ago, Richard Hurt talked about his basketball-playing sons, the Gophers’ Michael and Rochester John Marshall standout Matthew, saying, “Michael’s dream was to play for the University of Minnesota. Matthew’s dream is to play professionally and play for a long time.”

http://www.startribune.com/sid-s-jottings/490639251/

Go Gophers!!

El-Amin is the GOAT as far as state high school players, the 98 team wouldn't have missed a beat if he had stayed committed. Could've just plugged him into Bobby Jackson spot.

From what was posted before long ago on a different thread. El-Amin didn't have the greatest experience with the current players on the team on a recruiting visit. One guy in particular who had about 6 years of eligibility was the biggest problem. Now if that were true, why didn't other players speak up on behalf of El-Amin? Something fishy was going on however. El-Amin may have taken the high road, dismissed the situation politely and moved on.

From what was posted before long ago on a different thread. El-Amin didn't have the greatest experience with the current players on the team on a recruiting visit. One guy in particular who had about 6 years of eligibility was the biggest problem. Now if that were true, why didn't other players speak up on behalf of El-Amin? Something fishy was going on however. El-Amin may have taken the high road, dismissed the situation politely and moved on.

I thought that Russ Archambeau punching El Amin was the biggest problem...??

This. Some people on here just don't understand how good he is.

It doesn't show in his film. Maybe he looks better in person. In film he looks unathletic and not very strong. I'm sure he's better than what it looks like or the big boys wouldn't be all over him. That said,
by just watching youtube highlights or whatnot, he surely looks nowhere near the #6 player in the country or whatever he is.

Hurt is a very very skilled player. Hurt is also older than Zion Williamson and Rj Barrett so he should be putting up good numbers.

It doesn't show in his film. Maybe he looks better in person. In film he looks unathletic and not very strong. I'm sure he's better than what it looks like or the big boys wouldn't be all over him. That said,
by just watching youtube highlights or whatnot, he surely looks nowhere near the #6 player in the country or whatever he is.

Highlight films are misleading. The dunkers like Zion are the ones who blow most away in highlights. I remember watching seventh woods highlight tale from UNC his freshmen year of high school and I was in awe. That said seventh is good but he doesn’t play much at UNC

Hurt is a very very skilled player. Hurt is also older than Zion Williamson and Rj Barrett so he should be putting up good numbers.

I'm older than all three combined. I should be really putting up numbers.

Highlight videos are for entertainment. Period. According to most of the people who commented on Tyus' highlight videos when he was in high school, he was destined to be a backup at Duke. How'd that turn out?

It would make Pitino very happy if Hurt #2 comes to Mn. Pitino has done everything possible he can for Hurt #1 and the family. I really hope he gets some love back from them and the Gophers get him for a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic "it looks like" from Shooter where he takes Crystal Ball predictions and acts like they're sourced.

STrib: Matthew Hurt to have in-home visits with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas this weekend, Minnesota next week

The 6-foot-9 forward at Rochester John Marshall has Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, Kansas coach Bill Self and Kentucky coach John Calipari scheduled for in-home visits on Sept. 9, according to a source.

Gophers coach Richard Pitino’s in-home visit with Hurt will be a week from today on Sept. 10. Memphis coach Penny Hardaway’s home visit is planned for Sept. 12. North Carolina coach Roy Williams is also expected to have an in-home visit with Hurt next week.

http://www.startribune.com/matthew-...s-this-weekend-minnesota-next-week/492413931/

Go Gophers!!

Worst kept secret in mn. This was done years ago. Next

Every once in a awhile a kid really wants to stay home and in the end they pick the local school. I think after all is said and done he will pick Minnesota.

Every once in a awhile a kid really wants to stay home and in the end they pick the local school. I think after all is said and done he will pick Minnesota.

Built, I’m prepared for the usual near miss on Mathew but as a a family dynamic, two brothers playing together for the local team, mom and dad see every game, I can’t completely dismiss the chance. Mathews path to the NBA is assured be it Kansas, NC or Minnesota. I hope you are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your thought process. Time will tell. I wonder what his timeline is?

I like your thought process. Time will tell. I wonder what his timeline is?

He's been quoted as saying he will either decide before the H.S seasor or he will wait til after the season and be a late commit in the spring.

The scrutiny/pressure on Matthew would be much greater here than at a blue blood, where he would be one 5 star among others. When considering the gophers, I wonder how this fact figures into Matthew's thought process. Could be a positive or a negative I suppose.

The scrutiny/pressure on Matthew would be much greater here than at a blue blood, where he would be one 5 star among others. When considering the gophers, I wonder how this fact figures into Matthew's thought process. Could be a positive or a negative I suppose.

Agreed. I I personally hopes he waits til the Spring and sees that this a a good team with good pieces that he would have to work with here. I very much doubt he wants to drag a bad team and that is the perception of this team right now.

Regardless, he will get ripped much harder than Tre if he does decide to go elsewhere. I personally have no business criticising whatever decision he makes, but it would be refreshing to see him buck the trend and stay home.

Top Bottom