All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

per Shama:

The Gophers and college basketball’s elite are recruiting Rochester John Marshall power forward Matthew Hurt who is among the top players nationally in the class of 2019. Ed Rauen, the longtime Rochester radio man who has seen all the state’s best high school big men dating back to the early 1950s, told Sports Headliners the athletic Hurt can be better than any of them.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I know the chances are long, but just imagining starters Washington, Coffey, Ma. Hurt (not sure if he can play the 3) with Omersa and Gabe coming off the bench. That would be a team that could win big so if Matthew has any interest at all in staying at home should give him pause. Could be a top 10 team? Would be a fun winter at Williams. Indications from his family aren't promising, but after this past season kinda fun to dream of what could be down the road. I believe I saw somewhere he's now the #4 rated recruit in his class.

I know the chances are long, but just imagining starters Washington, Coffey, Ma. Hurt (not sure if he can play the 3) with Omersa and Gabe coming off the bench. That would be a team that could win big so if Matthew has any interest at all in staying at home should give him pause. Could be a top 10 team? Would be a fun winter at Williams. Indications from his family aren't promising, but after this past season kinda fun to dream of what could be down the road. I believe I saw somewhere he's now the #4 rated recruit in the country.

Meant Washington, Coffey, Hurt, Curry, Omersa starting with Jarvis and Gabe off the bench. Should have previewed.

I know the chances are long, but just imagining starters Washington, Coffey, Ma. Hurt (not sure if he can play the 3) with Omersa and Gabe coming off the bench. That would be a team that could win big so if Matthew has any interest at all in staying at home should give him pause. Could be a top 10 team? Would be a fun winter at Williams. Indications from his family aren't promising, but after this past season kinda fun to dream of what could be down the road. I believe I saw somewhere he's now the #4 rated recruit in the country.

Meant Washington, Coffey, Hurt, Curry, Omersa starting with Jarvis and Gabe off the bench. Should have previewed.

Meant Oturu instead of Omersa. I give up.

Matthew and the Rockets beat Austin tonight 73-63 to tie Austin for the conference crown. Hurt had 37 points, 16 rebounds and 6 assists.
Honest observation...shoot me...obviously he is really good but...typically he is 6 to 10 inches taller than the guys trying to stop him or rebound with him. More important he is maybe 50 pounds bigger? He has a major advantage in size versus the competition. I don't think he made a basket beyond 3 feet...yes, why should he? The JM team plays waaaay better defense this year. Hurt roams, if he defends out on the floor guys blow by him. I truly do not think he is better offensively as a junior than he was as a sophomore. He seems to really labor moving...yes he plays a lot of minutes but he doesn't waste any energy...he only competes around the basket offensively or defensively. He spends a lot of time free throw line to free throw line if the play allows. Yes, he is very good but is he really going to be a one and done kinda guy? He will need to develop/exhibit post moves versus just being taller and I think he can shoot threes but he'll need to do that to be elite at the next level. He absolutely just over powers people now just with size.
Hey, he's very good.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/high_school/basketball/boys-basketball-rockets-earn-share-of-big-nine-title/article_7dc4c4a2-1e99-11e8-8af3-10604b9f7e7c.html

Interesting. Saw Matthew play Lakeville North as a freshman a couple years ago. Not much difference between him and Reuvers in that game. He had a slight build and thought he could possibly play the 3 position. Sounds like the extra weight has not helped his quickness.

Matthew and the Rockets beat Austin tonight 73-63 to tie Austin for the conference crown. Hurt had 37 points, 16 rebounds and 6 assists.
Honest observation...shoot me...obviously he is really good but...typically he is 6 to 10 inches taller than the guys trying to stop him or rebound with him. More important he is maybe 50 pounds bigger? He has a major advantage in size versus the competition. I don't think he made a basket beyond 3 feet...yes, why should he? The JM team plays waaaay better defense this year. Hurt roams, if he defends out on the floor guys blow by him. I truly do not think he is better offensively as a junior than he was as a sophomore. He seems to really labor moving...yes he plays a lot of minutes but he doesn't waste any energy...he only competes around the basket offensively or defensively. He spends a lot of time free throw line to free throw line if the play allows. Yes, he is very good but is he really going to be a one and done kinda guy? He will need to develop/exhibit post moves versus just being taller and I think he can shoot threes but he'll need to do that to be elite at the next level. He absolutely just over powers people now just with size.
Hey, he's very good.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/high_school/basketball/boys-basketball-rockets-earn-share-of-big-nine-title/article_7dc4c4a2-1e99-11e8-8af3-10604b9f7e7c.html

Interesting. Saw Matthew play Lakeville North as a freshman a couple years ago. Not much difference between him and Reuvers in that game. He had a slight build and thought he could possibly play the 3 position. Sounds like the extra weight has not helped his quickness.

I would echo these comments. I attended their section final last year, and Reuvers was the one who stood out for his toughness, effort and mobility, besides being a very nifty and skilled player. Like you guys, I think Hurt is very, very good, but he's limited and probably somewhat overrated.

I would echo these comments. I attended their section final last year, and Reuvers was the one who stood out for his toughness, effort and mobility, besides being a very nifty and skilled player. Like you guys, I think Hurt is very, very good, but he's limited and probably somewhat overrated.

So you're saying we cooled on him?. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are kind of loaded at the 4 the next few years. Wonder if that could affect any interest he has in us. I'm sure we'd take him but our need is more wings who can shoot and point guard.

A couple things: Hurt comes here and he's our best player from day one and it's not real close. Reuvers is not close to Hurt's talent level.

A couple things: Hurt comes here and he's our best player from day one and it's not real close. Reuvers is not close to Hurt's talent level.
As an unbiased person who has not personally watched either person, by what measurement do you say: "Reuvers is not close to Hurt's talent level."

Hurt is a very good talent. Quick, Good Defense, 3 point shooter, Free throw shooter. I feel he would need to bulk up to play in the Big Ten. Imagine Hurt up against Miles Bridges as both guys being a true freshman, it would be a struggle. He would sure be a great plus if he would consider being a Gopher!

We are kind of loaded at the 4 the next few years. Wonder if that could affect any interest he has in us. I'm sure we'd take him but our need is more wings who can shoot and point guard.

Murphy and Fitzgerald will be gone after next year. Curry will be the only PF on the team when Hurt is a freshman.

As an unbiased person who has not personally watched either person, by what measurement do you say: "Reuvers is not close to Hurt's talent level."

The fact that Bill Self, Roy Williams and Mike K are all traveling to Rochester to watch Hurt should tell you everything you need to know.

Hurt is so much more multi-faceted with his game. He can play all 5 positions and occasionally plays point for JM. He can handle the ball and play inside or outside. Reuvers is strictly a 4 who can step out and hit a 3 (and I really like Reuvers think it was a big miss for us).

The fact that Bill Self, Roy Williams and Mike K are all traveling to Rochester to watch Hurt should tell you everything you need to know.

Just hard to think we even have a chance with him. I don't recall us ever defeating a blue blood for a recruit. Maybe if next season is outstanding and generates a lot of excitement so that it looks like we're set up for sustained success.

Just hard to think we even have a chance with him. I don't recall us ever defeating a blue blood for a recruit. Maybe if next season is outstanding and generates a lot of excitement so that it looks like we're set up for sustained success.

Different situation but Oturu did have a Kansas offer.

Omersa isn't a 4?

You're right, I don't know how I forgot about him.

I think you could still go with a 2 power forward lineup as well. Like we'll see with Curry and Murphy next year.

Hurt is so much more multi-faceted with his game. He can play all 5 positions and occasionally plays point for JM. He can handle the ball and play inside or outside. Reuvers is strictly a 4 who can step out and hit a 3 (and I really like Reuvers think it was a big miss for us).

Interesting that you seem to think that Matthew has the nimbleness to play away from the basket easily, in contrast to a couple of other recent posts who seem to doubt this. Not saying your post is wrong - just different.
Guess I'm just wondering if it would be possible to have Hurt, Curry, and Oturu on the floor together.
(I get it that chances of him coming.hete are remote, but kind of fun to dream.)

Hurt can play all 5 positions?

The delusion sometimes is comical.

He is rail thin.

I'd love to see him bring the ball up the court against division 1 guards.

Good grief people.

He is rail thin.

Good grief people.

Can he play all 5 positions?....No
Can he defend all 5 positions? ....No
Is he the most explosive player?...No

However, he is the most skilled HS player I have ever seen come out of MN. He has the best body control, knowledge of angles, handling ability for size, and shooting ability. He is as fluid of a basketball player that MN has really ever produced and has also proven that in the AAU circuit as well.

However, he is the most skilled HS player I have ever seen come out of MN. He has the best body control, knowledge of angles, handling ability for size, and shooting ability. He is as fluid of a basketball player that MN has really ever produced and has also proven that in the AAU circuit as well.

More skilled than the Jones brothers? Seriously?

I predict a marginal college career for Hurt. I don't like his strength and I don't think his ball handling will be all that great at the next level. I believe Oturu will be better in college.

I guess we will see.

More skilled than the Jones brothers? Seriously?

I predict a marginal college career for Hurt. I don't like his strength and I don't think his ball handling will be all that great at the next level. I believe Oturu will be better in college.

I guess we will see.

Pretty hard to get totally jacked at age 17 whem you re 6-9. I guess coach K, Williams, and Cal don't know what they're doing in offering him and services stink rating him top 5 in 2019.

We shall see.

Pretty hard to get totally jacked at age 17 whem you re 6-9. I guess coach K, Williams, and Cal don't know what they're doing in offering him and services stink rating him top 5 in 2019.

We shall see.

Coach K and Coach Cal have to fill out their rosters. Maybe they view Hurt as someone who can come in and make some 3's. I believe it to be very risky to go to schools like that because they are all 5 and 4 stars.

We shall see.

You seriously think Hurt is better than the Jones's? you'd take Hurt over Jones? No you wouldn't.

Good Luck to Hurt. I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he can get to the state tourney this year also as the state has not had a chance to see him.

I haven't seen Hurt play but I doubt he is more skilled than Richert was, I don't doubt he has similar skill sets though at this point, the recruiting interest makes that pretty obvious.

I haven't seen Hurt play but I doubt he is more skilled than Richert was, I don't doubt he has similar skill sets though at this point, the recruiting interest makes that pretty obvious.

Really? Hurt is a better shooter, more fluid, can handle the ball much better and is much quicker. Rick was stiff and had super slow feet. Plus, Matthew had another yr and a half to get stronger and better. He's only a jr. Good grief.

He is rail thin.

Good grief people.

Don't be a D-bag. He can play all 5 spots in high school, not college. He's not going to bring the ball up, but the point is he can play inside or outside.

Top Bottom