All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

I won't speak for anyone else but my personal disappointment for the local kids that go elsewhere stems specifically from the idea of what this program could become if the great talent stayed home. It's the proverbial "what could've been" syndrome that I suffer from as a Gopher fan. This state produces an incredible amount of HS talent per capita compared to other states. When I was a little punk, virtually everyone wanted to play for the home school (except you, Tom Copa...yeah, you!) I wish NO ill will against any kid that leaves the state but it's also the last time I will follow their progress and root for them. I guess I'm immature and vindictive in that way.

You do remember who drafted Tyus right? Another wasted pick by t-wolves. Tre was supposed to be better than Tyus.

Umm - Tyus lead the NBA in Assist/TO ratio this year, by a wide margin. When he got extended minutes after his return from injury, he was a pretty darn good player for the Wolves.

Not bad for the 24th overall pick. He's exceeded what most 24th overall picks end up doing. Your wasted pick line is ignorant.

Umm - Tyus lead the NBA in Assist/TO ratio this year, by a wide margin. When he got extended minutes after his return from injury, he was a pretty darn good player for the Wolves.

Not bad for the 24th overall pick. He's exceeded what most 24th overall picks end up doing. Your wasted pick line is ignorant.

I've been waiting for the Wolves to trade the starting PG and insert Tyus in the starting lineup for a while now. He seems to work with Towns and Wiggins very well.

Imagine if Tre went to the U and was used how Duke used him. EVERYONE would be calling for Pitino's head claiming he ruined Tre and his chances at the NBA. Instead you all are applauding coach K? This is ridiculous.

Stop.

K cheats. And you abhor cheating, or so you say. Yet you fawn over him repeatedly.

You cant have it both ways, which is what you do here over and over.

Care to support your allegations, or should we just take your word for it?

Or by "K cheats" do you mean "K has the best facilities, tradition, winning record, outstanding university, beautiful campus, NBA contacts, medical support, opportunity to play with other top players and win a championship every year, warm weather, TV exposure, international brand ... and darn it, that's just not fair to the rest of us." Cuz this I believe. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

No, he did not. 9.4 PPG and only 26% shooting from 3 point land. Definitely not great.

I love how a stat line determines a players value to a team, especially a PG, he needs to shoot better to get to the NBA no doubt about that but he can play and as competitive as they come, I'm not a Duke fan so I don't watch the games or really care how they do, will always like Tre though, more so than Tyus, he's got a toughness that just doesn't give up.

Imagine if Tre went to the U and was used how Duke used him. EVERYONE would be calling for Pitino's head claiming he ruined Tre and his chances at the NBA. Instead you all are applauding coach K? This is ridiculous.

Not if we had 3 top 10 draft picks on our roster. How dumb is that? You think Tre should be a number 1 scoring option on a team with 3 6'7+ wings who can all score.

No, he did not. 9.4 PPG and only 26% shooting from 3 point land. Definitely not great.

He was the best defender on the team and average 5.3 apg as a freshmen if Isaiah Washington did that we would have been going crazy raving about him

He wasn't asked to score with that roster. Yes, the shooting is a work in progress, but I rather that be an area of weakness as oppose to defensive effort. He was by far the best defensive PG in the country and that's saying alot for a true frosh. Add in the fact that the team looked completely lost without him during his injury. One can argue he was the most valuable player on the team. Not best but most valuable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Or by "K cheats" do you mean "K has the best facilities, tradition, winning record, outstanding university, beautiful campus, NBA contacts, medical support, opportunity to play with other top players and win a championship every year, warm weather, TV exposure, international brand ... and darn it, that's just not fair to the rest of us." Cuz this I believe. You can't have it both ways.

Duke is part of the FBI's Adidas investigation. Yes, there's evidence that they cheated, including wiretapped phone conversations of Zion's dad asking for cash and perks, and Duke saying, "sure, no problem". I don't think the North Carolina defense of, "we let all our students cheat in classes" is going to work this time.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/insid...ing-of-duke-basketball-phenom-zion-williamson

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article220131085.html

Correct.

Love it how just before a kid announces he's leaving that you get all these new members posting how it's great they're leaving -- what are you rya241 (11 total posts), his mom? If he stays in Minnesota he would forever be a hero. Amir Coffey will always get cheered in Minnesota, just like his dad Richard does today. If he leaves, he's just another Quinn. No way that a true Minnesota fan cheers for someone that leaves.

Bingo. The posters to which you refer don’t really care all that much about the success of our team, regardless of what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't speak for anyone else but my personal disappointment for the local kids that go elsewhere stems specifically from the idea of what this program could become if the great talent stayed home. It's the proverbial "what could've been" syndrome that I suffer from as a Gopher fan. This state produces an incredible amount of HS talent per capita compared to other states. When I was a little punk, virtually everyone wanted to play for the home school (except you, Tom Copa...yeah, you!) I wish NO ill will against any kid that leaves the state but it's also the last time I will follow their progress and root for them. I guess I'm immature and vindictive in that way.

Not immature or vindictive. You are a true fan. The others are just casual fans who don’t really care all that much about the Gopher’s success.

Lighten up, Francis. You’re not the Lord of Fandom and you don’t get to define what being a fan is to others. I root for the Gophers above all teams, but I have a love for basketball that allows me to appreciate the game beyond my personal wishes.

One of my regrets as a fan is that I, as a Sixer fan of the Dr. J era, wasn’t able to appreciate Larry Bird’s greatness until he was mostly washed up. I try to spare the venom so I can better appreciate the game I love.

I try to be more open minded...unless it’s Iowa...or Wisconsin.

William Avery.

Why if kid chooses not to play at the U it means that think they are too good to play at the U? That what makes it appear personal. Everyone rants that the kid think he is too good to play at the U when that might not have played a factor at all. Maybe the kid likes or think he is a better fit at the other school compared to the U.

Really? That would be more believable if the kid stuck to a certain school or coach. But the front running school changes as they get more blue blood offers. So Kansas was the best fit until Kentucky was the best fit until Duke was the best fit..... It is classic for someone that is smitten by the "bright lights" of the schools that offer. I am not really faulting the kids, but don't expect a typical Gopher fan to root for the kid. Of course, not all kids want to stay home to play, it happens to every school. But don't go claiming that some of the top ranked kids, that got media darling offers, don't think they are too good to play for the U.

As for coach K. Sure he is a good coach, but it sure is a lot easier to "coach" when you have the top recruiting class in the country 5 out of the last 6 years (the one year he only had the second best class). I would like to see him try to "coach-up" a typical P-5 roster!

Duke is part of the FBI's Adidas investigation. Yes, there's evidence that they cheated, including wiretapped phone conversations of Zion's dad asking for cash and perks, and Duke saying, "sure, no problem". I don't think the North Carolina defense of, "we let all our students cheat in classes" is going to work this time.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/insid...ing-of-duke-basketball-phenom-zion-williamson

Gopher Blue

Not immature or vindictive. You are a true fan. The others are just casual fans who don’t really care all that much about the Gopher’s success.

You realize it's just basketball... don't you? My goodness, these are just kids. Some want to go explore the world. Others want to stay near home. I graduated high school and never looked back at the town where I grew up. Others never left. We all made the right choice for us.
Whoever chooses to play basketball at UMN, I will cheer for. I don't care where the kids grew up.

Lighten up, Francis. You’re not the Lord of Fandom and you don’t get to define what being a fan is to others. I root for the Gophers above all teams, but I have a love for basketball that allows me to appreciate the game beyond my personal wishes.

One of my regrets as a fan is that I, as a Sixer fan of the Dr. J era, wasn’t able to appreciate Larry Bird’s greatness until he was mostly washed up. I try to spare the venom so I can better appreciate the game I love.

I try to be more open minded...unless it’s Iowa...or Wisconsin.

You had to love Andrew Tony...aka...the Boston Strangler!!! [emoji16]

You had to love Andrew Tony...aka...the Boston Strangler!!! [emoji16]

He wasn’t afraid of getting his shots up! Maurice Cheeks is still on my short list of all time favorites, too.

Not if we had 3 top 10 draft picks on our roster. How dumb is that? You think Tre should be a number 1 scoring option on a team with 3 6'7+ wings who can all score.

So it was a dumb choice by Tre to join Duke. That was the point I was trying to make in the first place, for anyone unaware duke is the worst place to go to boost your draft stock.

Pretty sure he likes the Gophers. If he picks Duke it does not mean that he does not like the Gophers. It means he picked a coach who he thinks is better and a program that he knows is better. Young people deserve to make their choice, they worked for it. Wherever he goes i hope he does great.
It sure feels that way. I like the way the final four worked out this year with no blue bloods. I would like to see that continue. If all these high flyers think that way the Gophers will never be elite. Question, why do all these high flyers put the Gophers on their target list when they have no intention going there in the first place

I so hope and wish they find this blue blood guilty! Proof a point!

It sure feels that way. I like the way the final four worked out this year with no blue bloods. I would like to see that continue. If all these high flyers think that way the Gophers will never be elite. Question, why do all these high flyers put the Gophers on their target list when they have no intention going there in the first place

Question: How do you know what their intentions are? Just because they choose to go elsewhere doesn’t mean they weren’t also strongly considering the Gophers.

Question: How do you know what their intentions are? Just because they choose to go elsewhere doesn’t mean they weren’t also strongly considering the Gophers.

Tell me what top recruit has stayed home to play with the Gophers since Kris Humphries?

It sure seems most all pack their bags and head out. Especially the kids that are recruited hard by the blue bloods.

Tell me what top recruit has stayed home to play with the Gophers since Kris Humphries?

It sure seems most all pack their bags and head out. Especially the kids that are recruited hard by the blue bloods.

Royce White was all set to play for the Gophers.

Not only that, but they were on completely different trajectories. Tyus was in the top 3 nationally for most of the evaluation period, never dropping out of the top 10, and was even as high as #1 overall. Tre spent a significant portion of the evaluation period ranked in the 50s overall, and made a big jump only in the last 4-5 months prior to committing.

Any story that claims Tre was "supposed to be better" is fabricated revisionist nonsense BS.

I love how the final 4 worked out too ! I just think it is foolish for fans to think that staying here is the best option, That a kid will be a hometown hero here forever, That Richard Coffey gets cheered to this day. That is small fish for most these kids. Not that many people even recognize Richard. Scouted and recruited for 40 years and these kids pick coaches that are clearly better by any measure, way more people watch those power schools, way more of a national following. Why should a kid not make the choice he wants ! I do think kids should not list schools that they have no intention of going to. I have season tickets to a program that takes the blue bloods on by developing players and better intangible scouting and beats them. Love it. But most of the best kids in that state never pick that school. They have kids from everywhere.

Top Bottom