All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

per Shooter:

There is little doubt that whichever college choice Rochester John Marshall’s 6-9 Matthew Hurt makes (Memphis is considered the front-runner), it’ll be just for one year before heading for the NBA.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/17/charley-walters-vikings-need-back-to-back-north-conquests/

Well he “reported” that once before so now he’ll continue to report his reporting. I’m confident he has even less insight on the status of Matthew Hurt’s recruitment and where he’ll ultimately end up than the average GH poster.

per Shama:

Matthew Hurt, the class of 2018 five-star Rochester basketball recruit, reportedly will wait until next year to choose his college destination but a source I respect believes Kansas is the front-runner.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Matthew Hurt, the class of 2018 five-star Rochester basketball recruit, reportedly will wait until next year to choose his college destination but a source I respect believes Kansas is the front-runner.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Kansas the front-runner is news? Shama really going out on a limb there!

The only way he isn't going to Kansas is if KU gets a postseason ban for their Adidas/FBI foibles, but not holding my breath on that.

Last edited:

Here is an interesting article, considering that some have been thinking Memphis is in the mix for Hurt. Memphis just beat Kentucky for the nation's #1 recruit James Wiseman- 7'0" center. It notes that Memphis has signed a 5 star forward and is in the mix for other 5 star players who are named in the article. Hurt was not mentioned.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...35/no-1-recruit-james-wiseman-commits-memphis

What is Hardaway offering these guys?

IDK what Hardaway is offering but I keep going back to what James Young (former Kentucky one and done drafted #17 in 2014 by Boston and now in the G league) once said. If I recall correctly, Young said that if he had to pick over again, he would not go to Kentucky with all the other top kids so he could show off his skills more instead of playing a specific role for an all-star team.

I assume Hurt is waiting to declare because wants to know the make-up of the rosters of the blue bloods (which players declare for the draft) and whether there is a position for him.

I do hope he comes to MN because he can display his entire game instead of just one aspect of his game if he were to choose a blue blood.

Here is an interesting article, considering that some have been thinking Memphis is in the mix for Hurt. Memphis just beat Kentucky for the nation's #1 recruit James Wiseman- 7'0" center. It notes that Memphis has signed a 5 star forward and is in the mix for other 5 star players who are named in the article. Hurt was not mentioned.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...35/no-1-recruit-james-wiseman-commits-memphis

What is Hardaway offering these guys?

Wiseman was coached by Penny In High School to multiple state championships. The other 5* PF is another kid Penny coached on the grassroots circuit along with Wiseman. Penny has also signed a 4* center and is in the final schools being considered by the #10 and #23 2019 recruits.

Being a former NBA all-star, State-Champion HS and AAU coach pays off.

Precious Achiawara is the #10 ranked player and is a SF. The guy ranked #23 by ESPN and #27 by 247 is a 6'9" PF. That would be 2 centers, 2 power forwards and one small forward.

I don't see Hurt going to this team if they get these last 2 guys. But if I were a 5* PG I'd sure be looking Memphis' way!

Last edited:

IDK what Hardaway is offering but I keep going back to what James Young (former Kentucky one and done drafted #17 in 2014 by Boston and now in the G league) once said. If I recall correctly, Young said that if he had to pick over again, he would not go to Kentucky with all the other top kids so he could show off his skills more instead of playing a specific role for an all-star team.

I assume Hurt is waiting to declare because wants to know the make-up of the rosters of the blue bloods (which players declare for the draft) and whether there is a position for him.

I do hope he comes to MN because he can display his entire game instead of just one aspect of his game if he were to choose a blue blood.

Would Pitino tell him "come play for the Gophers, and you'll be doing an AND1 mix-tape during Big Ten conference play!" ?? At some level he would still just be playing a role. He can't score 80 points a night.

Young said that if he had to pick over again, he would not go to Kentucky with all the other top kids so he could show off his skills more instead of playing a specific role for an all-star team.

Tre Jones is falling into that. He's playing well, but getting no mentions... it's all about the Big 3.

Very true, just look at Jones at Duke. Whenever I catch the headlines or the ESPN clips talking about Duke games, Jones hardly even gets a mention, if he goes to the U, he is 80% of the story.

I hate to say it, but Hurt would fit in well at Michigan. Beilein would bring out Hurts strengths and turn him into a solid defender.
That being said, I still hope Hurt picks UMN.

I hate to say it, but Hurt would fit in well at Michigan. Beilein would bring out Hurts strengths and turn him into a solid defender.

Wtf! What is the point of trying to sell Hurt on another program?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wtf! What is the point of trying to sell Hurt on another program?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not trying to sell Hurt on anything. (I doubt he's reading this thread.) I'm just looking at the type of players Beilein has recruited and Hurt looks like one of those kids. Of course Hurt isn't a Euro so maybe he's not what Beilein is looking for.

Very true, just look at Jones at Duke. Whenever I catch the headlines or the ESPN clips talking about Duke games, Jones hardly even gets a mention, if he goes to the U, he is 80% of the story.

His next nine games are on either ESPN or ESPN2. He'll get mentioned plenty.

But Michigan isn’t an Adidas school. The Hurts won’t get paid if they go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The happenings at Memphis reflect the pathetic state of affairs of NCAA basketball IMO. Penny Hardaway, who has no collegiate coaching experience, will have a top-five team next year, his second. Why? Because he is slick with AAU ball (how slick I am sure we will find out in 5-6 years). Louisville, a trash-heap $hit hole Adidas school that is forever up to its neck with the NCAA, has the #1 recruiting class for 2019. Interesting.

And then there is the self-righteous, bloated, morally superior Coach K, who really cant coach worth a $hit even with elite talent, but who has college basketball by the shorthairs because his program has become a lame-ass one year NBA prep class.

Its hopelessly F'ed up but now more than ever I admire the Gophers and (gulp) Badgers and and other teams that at least keep their players long enough for a fan to appreciate them.

The happenings at Memphis reflect the pathetic state of affairs of NCAA basketball IMO. Penny Hardaway, who has no collegiate coaching experience, will have a top-five team next year, his second. Why? Because he is slick with AAU ball (how slick I am sure we will find out in 5-6 years). Louisville, a trash-heap $hit hole Adidas school that is forever up to its neck with the NCAA, has the #1 recruiting class for 2019. Interesting.

And then there is the self-righteous, bloated, morally superior Coach K, who really cant coach worth a $hit even with elite talent, but who has college basketball by the shorthairs because his program has become a lame-ass one year NBA prep class.

Its hopelessly F'ed up but now more than ever I admire the Gophers and (gulp) Badgers and and other teams that at least keep their players long enough for a fan to appreciate them.

I actually agree with a lot of this.

If we make sweet 16 and our young guys are a big part of that, I still think Hurt stays home. If he does, I think he starts a trend, of the top guys staying home and will be remembered/even revered in these parts for a long long time. There is no other place in the country that has the high school talent concentration relative to the number of D1 schools as Minnesota has, and I think Hurt is the guy to bridge that talent to the Gophers.

If we make sweet 16 and our young guys are a big part of that, I still think Hurt stays home. If he does, I think he starts a trend, of the top guys staying home and will be remembered/even revered in these parts for a long long time. There is no other place in the country that has the high school talent concentration relative to the number of D1 schools as Minnesota has, and I think Hurt is the guy to bridge that talent to the Gophers.

There's a lot to wish for in that post, but nothing wrong with wishing. Would be great to see, on all counts.

JTG

Agreed! Minnesota is littered with talented prospects across the state, if we can lock down the borders we could have top 25 classes every year. Just looking at the next few years and the talent MN has regarding national prospects:

2019: 2 top 35 players
2020: 4 top 65 players
2021: 3 top 50 players

Even landing a couple of those recruits could keep our program relevant in the B1G, that is why having classes with guys like Coffee, Jelly, and Oturu are so important. Just imagine if we can land multiple top 100 recruits in the same class. Lock it down Richard!

Is there a post-NBA all-star alum coaching AAU ball we can hire to bring his players with him?

That is a huge recruiting advantage practice facilities cannot overcome.

The current lack of offensive flow and rarity of an easy look in our regular sets makes me a little concerned for this year. Unless Washington can figure it out and take over the point I think most of this will be left as wishful thinking unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a post-NBA all-star alum coaching AAU ball we can hire to bring his players with him?

Just realized we do have that! Lindsay just happens to coach the women and never coached AAU.

I'd settle for getting the high rated players from local clubs like Pulley, to stay home.

If you watch a duke game they talk about him plenty because he is playing very well.

He's not coaching, but gotta think KG would do the job lol

Sounds like there’s some UNC steam with Zeke which would probably take them out of the Hurt sweepstakes. This really seems to be coming down to the U, Kansas and potentially Memphis. Kansas is pretty much going to pin their entire class on Hurt which may sway him and his family who knows...depends on what he’s looking for. This FBI cloud hanging over KU probably means a transition year for them next year as recruiting’s going poorly and there won’t be a ton of high level talent coming back (Vick will graduate, Grimes and potentially Azubuike will go pro) so that’s an interesting situation. Is somewhat of a down year at Kansas something he wants to be a part of?

I’m becoming cautiously optimistic about the Gophers chances. All will depend on what happens the rest of this season but things are falling into place for us to have a real shot.

Sounds like there’s some UNC steam with Zeke which would probably take them out of the Hurt sweepstakes. This really seems to be coming down to the U, Kansas and potentially Memphis. Kansas is pretty much going to pin their entire class on Hurt which may sway him and his family who knows...depends on what he’s looking for. This FBI cloud hanging over KU probably means a transition year for them next year as recruiting’s going poorly and there won’t be a ton of high level talent coming back (Vick will graduate, Grimes and potentially Azubuike will go pro) so that’s an interesting situation. Is somewhat of a down year at Kansas something he wants to be a part of?

I’m becoming cautiously optimistic about the Gophers chances. All will depend on what happens the rest of this season but things are falling into place for us to have a real shot.

Right now people are saying Kansas, then Memphis and then MN in a distant 3rd

Top Bottom