All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

…...only 3 more days of this thread..... Can't wait til it's over

Mathew isn't a bad kid. Don't hate on him. My gut feeling it's Dad, who seems to crave attention (and Adidas $$)

if these kids would come out and say I'm not going to the Gophers right away, and most of them know they aren't. I believe they wouldn't be crucified so bad. Really not that hard to tell the truth.

if these kids would come out and say I'm not going to the Gophers right away, and most of them know they aren't. I believe they wouldn't be crucified so bad. Really not that hard to tell the truth.

Agree. I watch closely those that string it out and then have press conference to make a show of it. Then they show how thrilled they are to get the scholarship only to say after college that they should be paid for paying in college. Each recruit handles it differently. My favorite kids pick a school on the visit so sure of the coach, his new school. They do not have a press conference, they have a low key approach and not a entourage. Usually low key parents letting their kids make their first large adult decision. I do understand waiting for your dream schools but at some point schools should move on.

Agree. I watch closely those that string it out and then have press conference to make a show of it. Then they show how thrilled they are to get the scholarship only to say after college that they should be paid for paying in college. Each recruit handles it differently. My favorite kids pick a school on the visit so sure of the coach, his new school. They do not have a press conference, they have a low key approach and not a entourage. Usually low key parents letting their kids make their first large adult decision. I do understand waiting for your dream schools but at some point schools should move on.

Agree with you, and Pitino did move on once it was clear Hurt was not coming here. All the fanfare to draw attention to themselves is quite annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol you're forgetting about one minor player from Kentucky... Karl-Anthony Towns ??? Kind of an important player for the Minnesota Timberwolves, just signed for 190M?

Good catch, yes KAT was 2015 draft class so should be included on the UK side for this 2015-present comparison.

Not sure. It sure seems like it with his comments about Pinto quit recruiting him. Are you thinking Hurt likes the Gophers?

Pretty sure he likes the Gophers. If he picks Duke it does not mean that he does not like the Gophers. It means he picked a coach who he thinks is better and a program that he knows is better. Young people deserve to make their choice, they worked for it. Wherever he goes i hope he does great.

Pretty sure he likes the Gophers. If he picks Duke it does not mean that he does not like the Gophers. It means he picked a coach who he thinks is better and a program that he knows is better. Young people deserve to make their choice, they worked for it. Wherever he goes i hope he does great.

I just hope K tanks his value like he tanked Tre's! Maybe kids wise up to how poorly careers are after the Duke experience.

I just hope K tanks his value like he tanked Tre's! Maybe kids wise up to how poorly careers are after the Duke experience.

Tre is not done yet. And you actually hope something bad happens to a young person ? K just seems to have earned more trust as a great coach from talented young players.

I don't hate Hurt for going to Duke.

It's not like he is going to Iowa or (gulp) Wisconsin, for Christ's sake!

Then, I would despise him.

Tre is not done yet. And you actually hope something bad happens to a young person ? K just seems to have earned more trust as a great coach from talented young players.

I'll sacrifice a few careers if it means one less school to compete against for MN kids yeah. Nothing gave me more pleasure than watching Tre dribble it up give it to RJ or Zion then be relegated to the corner where he would only get the ball if they were in trouble and needed to get the ball out of their hands.

Laugh out loud. Tre's draft projection was higher at the end of the season (projected in April 2019 in high teens to low 20s) than prior to his freshman season (early 2nd). He was not considered a likely OAD upon arriving at Duke - neither was Tyus, even late in the year, though national championship MVP helped turn that into the 24th pick in 1st round.

This past season Tre demonstrated excellent toughness, leadership, decision-making, perimeter defensive abilities, and absurd assist:turnover ratio (nearly 6:1). However, he shot 26% from 3 point range which, as a point guard, is a major concern for the NBA. When he did have open looks and his coaches exhorted him to shoot, he often hesitated or passed up the shot. Late in the season he started to make progress in this area.

Tre has consulted with Tyus and his family, and fully understands what is ahead for him in the NBA over the next couple of years, and ultimately decided that another year in college is to his benefit. Sounds like a bright kid to me.

Stop.

K cheats. And you abhor cheating, or so you say. Yet you fawn over him repeatedly.

You cant have it both ways, which is what you do here over and over.

I'll sacrifice a few careers if it means one less school to compete against for MN kids yeah. Nothing gave me more pleasure than watching Tre dribble it up give it to RJ or Zion then be relegated to the corner where he would only get the ball if they were in trouble and needed to get the ball out of their hands.

You make it seem like Tre had a bad year. He had great season on one of the top teams in the country

I don't hate Hurt for going to Duke.

It's not like he is going to Iowa or (gulp) Wisconsin, for Christ's sake!

Then, I would despise him.

Exactly. I would never blame a kid for going to a Duke/Stanford type school. Very few people get those life-changing opportunities. Different story when it's wisconsin.

It isn't personal, but why should the fans of the Gophers show some special affection for a player from another team? Just because he may have grown up in the state? He isn't my neighbor, most of us have never seen him play, most of us couldn't pick him out of a line-up of tall kids. Why should we have some blind loyalty to a kid that none of us know. I have a much greater interest in the players that represent our state (at the U) than some token player who fills a roster spot at some media darling school. If the player has decided to move-on then it is time for you who idolized them to move-on. And stop trying to paint us as some evil, selfish person that hates on local kids and wants to crush their dreams or freedom! We don't hate this kids, it is just that we lose respect for kids that think they are too good to play for the U. We also are disappointed in that we could have an even better team with a few of these kids.

It isn't personal, but why should the fans of the Gophers show some special affection for a player from another team? Just because he may have grown up in the state? He isn't my neighbor, most of us have never seen him play, most of us couldn't pick him out of a line-up of tall kids. Why should we have some blind loyalty to a kid that none of us know. I have a much greater interest in the players that represent our state (at the U) than some token player who fills a roster spot at some media darling school. If the player has decided to move-on then it is time for you who idolized them to move-on. And stop trying to paint us as some evil, selfish person that hates on local kids and wants to crush their dreams or freedom! We don't hate this kids, it is just that we lose respect for kids that think they are too good to play for the U. We also are disappointed in that we could have an even better team with a few of these kids.

These kids are teenagers. Do you really think each one of them are thinking about representing their state? Most kids at that age are thinking about the program that lets them build their brand and get some girls. It's not that Hurt thinks he is too good for the U, it is more so why in the world would you play for a school that hasn't produced an NBA player in god knows how long.

Give them a pass and let their play and off the court behavior determine if you become a fan of these players. I for one think it is cool to see MN get some exposure and will root for Hurt's career in college and the NBA, even if it's not for our team.

Why if kid chooses not to play at the U it means that think they are too good to play at the U? That what makes it appear personal. Everyone rants that the kid think he is too good to play at the U when that might not have played a factor at all. Maybe the kid likes or think he is a better fit at the other school compared to the U.

Laugh out loud. Tre's draft projection was higher at the end of the season (projected in April 2019 in high teens to low 20s) than prior to his freshman season (early 2nd). He was not considered a likely OAD upon arriving at Duke - neither was Tyus, even late in the year, though national championship MVP helped turn that into the 24th pick in 1st round.

This past season Tre demonstrated excellent toughness, leadership, decision-making, perimeter defensive abilities, and absurd assist:turnover ratio (nearly 6:1). However, he shot 26% from 3 point range which, as a point guard, is a major concern for the NBA. When he did have open looks and his coaches exhorted him to shoot, he often hesitated or passed up the shot. Late in the season he started to make progress in this area.

Tre has consulted with Tyus and his family, and fully understands what is ahead for him in the NBA over the next couple of years, and ultimately decided that another year in college is to his benefit. Sounds like a bright kid to me.

You do remember who drafted Tyus right? Another wasted pick by t-wolves. Tre was supposed to be better than Tyus.

I don't think anyone is saying you have to root for them.

And I don't understand how one would lose respect for a kid who takes an opportunity like going to Stanford or playing for a program that churns out multiple lottery picks every year like Duke. IMO there is nothing wrong with doing that.

Now if they pick wisconsin over us -- that is different.

First mistake is idolizing any of them, to me idolizing them seems creepy. Each person can decide for themselves how to care about a young persons success and where he wants to find it. Just because a kid leaves the state does not mean he thinks he is too good. He or she may think they are going to play for a way better coach at a nationally relevant program, in a better climate, cuter girls, non urban setting. Our players are picking the U because they think Pitino is better than the other offers they have, they may love the U, want to stay home, love the climate here. At my late age i simply hope they all pick the place the really liked and that they have a great experience.

These kids are teenagers. Do you really think each one of them are thinking about representing their state? Most kids at that age are thinking about the program that lets them build their brand and get some girls. It's not that Hurt thinks he is too good for the U, it is more so why in the world would you play for a school that hasn't produced an NBA player in god knows how long.

Give them a pass and let their play and off the court behavior determine if you become a fan of these players. I for one think it is cool to see MN get some exposure and will root for Hurt's career in college and the NBA, even if it's not for our team.

Love it how just before a kid announces he's leaving that you get all these new members posting how it's great they're leaving -- what are you rya241 (11 total posts), his mom? If he stays in Minnesota he would forever be a hero. Amir Coffey will always get cheered in Minnesota, just like his dad Richard does today. If he leaves, he's just another Quinn. No way that a true Minnesota fan cheers for someone that leaves.

No, he did not. 9.4 PPG and only 26% shooting from 3 point land. Definitely not great.

I believe getting injured helped Tre's draft stock more than anything. Look at how their offensive and defensive efficiency went south while he was hurt.

Top Bottom