All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

An attempt to make himself look good through making Pitino look bad. Cowardly and pathetic.

This episode has the stench of the family being upset that Michael doesn't get more PT and they are burning Pitino here. Garbage.

Well, just for fun - let's pretend that Hurt is telling the truth. That, for whatever reason, the U backed off and quit contacting him.

You can say the Gopher coaches are just being practical, and that "he was never going to MN."

But, if there is a 10% chance, I think you keep in contact.

IF this is true, then having it become public is bad optics for the Gophers.

Unless Pitino doesn't give a bleep because he's looking for other jobs and he doesn't care whether the Gophers land Hurt or not.

I find it really hard to believe they would back off recruiting him, especially after he claimed that the U was still in the running. Just doesn't add up that you would stop recruiting a top local guy if there is any chance he might actually come here.

Only reason I could think of to completely back off is if the family was asking for more under the table money and benefits then we were willing to pay. Assuming there is no way we can compete in that department with the blue bloods who have mastered the art of buying players.

There's no way the staff gives up recruiting if Hurt was at all interested. He can play all the recruiting games he wants, but there comes a time that we move on. It's time. I could care less where he ends up. Do what you have to do and the Gophers will bring in those who want to be here. Looking forward to reading about the new recruits coming in.

I love these uninformed responses. My favorite that didn’t piss me off was “Hurt hold the distinction of being the only Mr. Basketball not to play in the State Tournament.” I helped put Mr. Basketball Brett Yonke out of the regional semi-finals before he reached state. Fall in home visit 5 star recruit tells staff he can see himself being a gopher. It was real. Only 2019 Minnesota kid that has said that after Ben Johnson leaves. One assistant falls asleep during the fall home visit. Gophers follow up with two texts at Thanksgiving and Christmas. They did not come down to Rochester to see him play this year. The staff was shocked to hear that they were not going to make the final list in December. One former D1 coach who knows the situation well said it was recruiting malpractice. I am a former D3 athlete who was recruited harder to the MIAC than this. In my field if I recruited a top prospect in this way that had said they wanted to come work for us I likely would be disciplined, demoted, or fired. It wasn’t “lazy” it was just plain incompetent. Don't worry the earlier quote "Ok Michael you can go now" is exactly what the response was with the DNPs after the Wisconsin win which really shows the true colors of the coaching staff. The comment "the episode has the stench of the family being upset that Michael doesn't get more PT" well it was coaching staff upset that they were out that led to DNPs. I am a Louisville and Minnesota fan who has had season tickets for both programs. When Louisville stopped texting and calling it was a sign to the recruit that they are out. It hurt and we have problems at Louisville but our current head coach is not one of them. Usually I ignore message board smack. Calling an 18 year old cowardly, pathetic, and wanting money under the table is pretty low even for this message board thus my response. I am not Matthew, Michael, mom, dad, or a grandparent but I am close enough.

Last edited:

I love these uninformed responses. My favorite that didn’t piss me off was “Hurt hold the distinction of being the only Mr. Basketball not to play in the State Tournament.” I helped put Mr. Basketball Brett Yonke out of the regional semi-finals before he reached state. Fall in home visit 5 star recruit tells staff he can see himself being a gopher. It was real. Only 2019 Minnesota kid that has said that after Ben Johnson leaves. One assistant falls asleep during the fall home visit. Gophers follow up with two texts at Thanksgiving and Christmas. They did not come down to Rochester to see him play this year. The staff was shocked to hear that they were not going to make the final list in December. One former D1 coach who knows the situation well said it was recruiting malpractice. I am a former D3 athlete who was recruited harder to the MIAC than this. In my field if I recruited a top prospect in this way that had said they wanted to come work for us I likely would be disciplined, demoted, or fired. It wasn’t “lazy” it was just plain incompetent. Don't worry the earlier quote "Ok Michael you can go now" is exactly what the response was with the DNPs after the Wisconsin win which really shows the true colors of the coaching staff. The comment "the episode has the stench of the family being upset that Michael doesn't get more PT" well it was coaching staff upset that they were out that led to DNPs. I am Louisville and Minnesota fan who has had season tickets for both programs. When Louisville stopped texting and calling it was a sign to the recruit that they are out. It hurt and we have problems at Louisville but our current head coach is not one of them. Usually I ignore message board smack. Calling an 18 year old cowardly, pathetic, and wanting money under the table is pretty low even for this message board thus my response. I am not Matthew, Michael, mom, dad, or a grandparent but I am close enough.

Thanks for sharing. If true, which is what it sounds like...then that is awful disappointing. If this is the regular process with recruits no wonder recruiting has been struggling for this last year.

I don’t really want to hear ANYTHING else this kid has to say. The best thing now is to move on and ignore him. Let the media from his school city of choice write articles about him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t really want to hear ANYTHING else this kid has to say. The best thing now is to move on and ignore him. Let the media from his school city of choice write articles about him.

In my world this is called denial but would be a good idea for you. It the same thing the gopher staff appeared to do in the fall after he said he could see himself being a gopher.

That was ...well... shi**y. I bet Dad Hurt told RP it would never happen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I love these uninformed responses. My favorite that didn’t piss me off was “Hurt hold the distinction of being the only Mr. Basketball not to play in the State Tournament.” I helped put Mr. Basketball Brett Yonke out of the regional semi-finals before he reached state. Fall in home visit 5 star recruit tells staff he can see himself being a gopher. It was real. Only 2019 Minnesota kid that has said that after Ben Johnson leaves. One assistant falls asleep during the fall home visit. Gophers follow up with two texts at Thanksgiving and Christmas. They did not come down to Rochester to see him play this year. The staff was shocked to hear that they were not going to make the final list in December. One former D1 coach who knows the situation well said it was recruiting malpractice. I am a former D3 athlete who was recruited harder to the MIAC than this. In my field if I recruited a top prospect in this way that had said they wanted to come work for us I likely would be disciplined, demoted, or fired. It wasn’t “lazy” it was just plain incompetent. Don't worry the earlier quote "Ok Michael you can go now" is exactly what the response was with the DNPs after the Wisconsin win which really shows the true colors of the coaching staff. The comment "the episode has the stench of the family being upset that Michael doesn't get more PT" well it was coaching staff upset that they were out that led to DNPs. I am a Louisville and Minnesota fan who has had season tickets for both programs. When Louisville stopped texting and calling it was a sign to the recruit that they are out. It hurt and we have problems at Louisville but our current head coach is not one of them. Usually I ignore message board smack. Calling an 18 year old cowardly, pathetic, and wanting money under the table is pretty low even for this message board thus my response. I am not Matthew, Michael, mom, dad, or a grandparent but I am close enough.
I agree about asinine posts about a high school kid. That said, I’m not buying your story one bit.

So much effing drama. Matt was offered and he never accepted. If he wanted to be a gopher he would have accepted. That’s it. No other finger pointing and blame gaming needed. No rationalizing hurt’s decision to gopher fans needed.

As for me, I’m a Michael fan because he is a gopher, and I couldn’t care less about Minnesota kids who choose not to be a gopher.

So much effing drama. Matt was offered and he never accepted. If he wanted to be a gopher he would have accepted. That’s it. No other finger pointing and blame gaming needed. No rationalizing hurt’s decision to gopher fans needed.

As for me, I’m a Michael fan because he is a gopher, and I couldn’t care less about Minnesota kids who choose not to be a gopher.

+1

Thanks for sharing. If true, which is what it sounds like...then that is awful disappointing. If this is the regular process with recruits no wonder recruiting has been struggling for this last year.

Yet there is a fraction of the fan base that believes Pitino is doing great on the recruiting front.

We will never know the actual story.

No sense wasting time on a person who doesn't want to join a program. Move on and go to someone who wants to play here. Sam Freeman seems like a good example.
As to Michael, he just isn't that good. He can spell a guy for 2 minutes, but he's not going to win or lose a game for you. Likely great to have on the scout team though.
If Matt wants to play here, great. If he doesn't, since he has never doned the maroon and gold, it means nothing to this program.

As long as mike is a gopher I’ll cheer for him. Couldn’t care less about kids who don’t want to be gophers. Smacks to me of a kid shifting blame to explain why he’s going to crooked sneaker schools. He doesn’t have to explain himself to us. He doesn’t owe us anything. But I don’t owe him fandom. If pitino doesn’t get the good local kids because they just don’t like him or he’s lazy or whatever he won’t last and that’s that. But I’m not buying this line.

What a disappointing ending to something that never was to be. Matthew really produced a big turd on his way out. Call me extremely unimpressed, Matthew.

Hurt pulls a Quinn and burns the bridge on his way out of town. He could have been a home town hero for the rest of his life by playing here, could have left with some class (e.g., the Jones brothers), but instead he pulls a Quinn.

I agree about asinine posts about a high school kid. That said, I’m not buying your story one bit.

I'm not a high school basketball coach, but I know several in this state. Some who have had players recruited by the biggest college basketball teams in the country, others who have not. I believe his story.

+100

I'm not a high school basketball coach, but I know several in this state. Some who have had players recruited by the biggest college basketball teams in the country, others who have not. I believe his story.

Then you have no clue about reality. Pitino offered. Hurt rejected the offer. End of story. Now Hurt blames Pitino for backing away. What a joke.

Then you have no clue about reality. Pitino offered. Hurt rejected the offer. End of story. Now Hurt blames Pitino for backing away. What a joke.

I don’t think it is to much to ask of Pitino to at least text and or call Hurt every once in a while. The other coaches were while Pitino was MIA. Those other coaches such as Self and Coach K were willing to fly multiple times across the country to watch Hurt play and call and text him frequently affer his games. Pitino couldn’t be bothered to do the same for a prospect who was less than a 2 hour drive away.

I don’t think it is to much to ask of Pitino to at least text and or call Hurt every once in a while. The other coaches were while Pitino was MIA. Those other coaches such as Self and Coach K were willing to fly multiple times across the country to watch Hurt play and call and text him frequently affer his games. Pitino couldn’t be bothered to do the same for a prospect who was less than a 2 hour drive away.

You are a fool if you think Pitino stopped recruiting Matt while he still believed he had a legitimate shot at landing him. Pitino stopped recruiting him because it had become a waste of time and resources. I am glad Richard stopped recruiting him because we have all known for quite a while that Matt was going blue blood. The fact Matt continued to show strong interest for Kansas even after they were involved in the pay to play scandal speaks very loudly to me.

Spot on! So true....

If this is true, Pitino should be fired and probably Coyle as well for not knowing the level of incompetence. If Pitino is doing this with his most important recruit, how must he be treating less important ones. That said, I do not believe a word of it. Just impossible for me to believe that level of ineptness could occur. The staff knew they had no chance and so moved on. I am from Rochester and have heard from a couple people I consider close to the situation that Michael would be transferring out. Lots of swirling rumors. Smacks to me of the family wanting it both ways and reminds of the old coach's joke - the ideal place to coach would be an orphanage.

Last edited:

I’m not buying one word of this garbage.

Yet there is a fraction of the fan base that believes Pitino is doing great on the recruiting front.

We will never know the actual story.

Except we can know that dman's story is a troll story. We have a gaping hole at PF, we have a big need for shooters/scorers. Pitino has been after Hurt for 3+ years and now some person comes on here and says that staff didn't bother themselves to work him while he still wanted to come here. That's total crap. We have heard other recruits who had an assistant as their main contact say that Pitino himself made a lot of contact. I believe that is true with Freeman. So Pitino recruited other kids harder than Hurt? Not buying it.

I'm from the Rochester area so I know some about this; but the bottom line is: Mike is a great kid and it's a shame he has not had much of a Gopher career. Matt and Papa are D-bags. While I'd love for him to come here- even for a year, I'm not too disappointed knowing the family.

I'm not supposed to post over here anymore until next year, but I am going to one time.

When you are involved in a personal conversation with a family member of the Hurts quite a while back, let's just say I'm laughing at Dman. What's wrong with saying Pitino wrecked the older Hurt, Dman? In some people's delusional world, this happens. Family defends their own all the time like this. No harm, no foul. I'm sorry daddy Hurt, but your older boy can't play at this level.

To put this on Pitino is beyond laughable though(I want Pitino gone by the way). I could say a lot more, but will not. It's water under the bridge now.

Please go to Duke by the way!

Oh, and one more thing.........the younger Hurt is going to disappoint. No loss at all. Putting this on Pitino, because your older kid is too slow, too unathletic, etc. is par for the Hurts, though. There isn't too much in basketball that dad isn't an Einstein on.

By the way, I posted some of this a while back, and as usual, was mocked due to not being a Pitino fan myself.

I would like to state that you are a joke Dman, that Pitino did everything he could here, was told a long time ago Matt wasn't coming here, and and after giving Michael chance after chance here(be thankful we had no depth or Michael would be the last player to ever get in the game), going after Pitino here is a bad look.

Make your choice, get it done, etc and leave. I know some people down in Rochester, and the "Hurt Fatigue" is immense. One friend of mine down there told me he keeps forgetting the team is called John Marshall.

GO GOPHERS!

Last edited:

The Hurt family knows first-hand how intensely Pitino recruits a member of their family who expresses interest in playing for his program. I have an impossibly hard time thinking that Pitino had more passion recruiting the 3-star Michael, but just didn't care enough to recruit his 5-star brother. That's garbage. At some point a head coach needs to allocate finite recruiting resources to those with a greater chance of providing return on that investment (and that includes time most of all). If a kid gives you little if any sign that he's interested in playing for you, you move on to find players who do.

Not a big deal. Hurt knew he could end the recruiting process by committing anytime. When he did not do so early it became obvious that he liked the process of being courted by the blue bloods. We have no clue what was said between Pitino and Hurt. I have seen this at other schools dozen of times.

Top Bottom