All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

richard hurt seems to love the spotlight. dude hasn't turned down an interview request. most families let this be about the recruit, richard hurt certainly isn't afraid to share the limelight, dude is quoted a lot!

Is Shama very reliable?

This is the first time I've heard this about Self, but it would actually make some sense. Perhaps Self has finally decided to beat the posse (constant, probably not inaccurate KU cheating rumors/assumptions) out of town? KU seems to have a guy hung up in an NCAA ruling every season. (Josh Jackson, Silvio De Sousa, etc.)

It's been out there for weeks!

If you google Bill Self to the NBA, there is smoke.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2019/mar/15/latest-nba-rumor-regarding-ku-coach-bill/

Did he lose a bet that I missed? Or did he just volunteer to leave us alone for a while?

It's a normal thing for me since hoops is over.

But I said that I would hurry up and leave due to not being positive enough. I am going to work on my rah-rah stuff in the offseason and come back a new man!

How did Hurt do last night in the McDonald's game?

It's a normal thing for me since hoops is over.

But I said that I would hurry up and leave due to not being positive enough. I am going to work on my rah-rah stuff in the offseason and come back a new man!

You're nowhere to be found when they have a big win. Then they lose and you post more than anyone else. Gee I wonder why people get annoyed with you.

per Sid:

• The Gophers have three scholarships available for next season, if Amir Coffey doesn’t turn pro. While John Marshall star Matthew Hurt still has them on his list of teams, other players they could get are small forward Myron Gardner of Detroit and power forward Isaiah Ihnen of Germany. Ihnen reportedly will visit the Gophers, TCU and Tennessee in April.

• As for Hurt, he said at the McDonald’s All-American Game last week in Atlanta that he will announce his college decision on April 19. While Kansas and Duke are the favorites, he was asked by 247Sports on Monday about any other schools with a chance and replied, “I would say Minnesota and Memphis are the two and I wouldn’t count them out.”

http://www.startribune.com/scandal-plagued-1951-ncaa-title-game-at-williams-arena/507891061/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• The Gophers have three scholarships available for next season, if Amir Coffey doesn’t turn pro. While John Marshall star Matthew Hurt still has them on his list of teams, other players they could get are small forward Myron Gardner of Detroit and power forward Isaiah Ihnen of Germany. Ihnen reportedly will visit the Gophers, TCU and Tennessee in April.

• As for Hurt, he said at the McDonald’s All-American Game last week in Atlanta that he will announce his college decision on April 19. While Kansas and Duke are the favorites, he was asked by 247Sports on Monday about any other schools with a chance and replied, “I would say Minnesota and Memphis are the two and I wouldn’t count them out.”

http://www.startribune.com/scandal-plagued-1951-ncaa-title-game-at-williams-arena/507891061/

Go Gophers!!
Playing the same fiddle as Tyus Jones. I will believe it when he says Minnesota, otherwise it's just BS.

per the AP:

Rochester John Marshall's Matthew Hurt is the Minnesota Associated Press Player of the Year for prep boys basketball.

The award, voted on by a statewide media panel, was announced Monday. The 6-foot-9 senior forward played six varsity seasons for the Rockets, who lost in the section championship game each year.

With 3,819 career points, Hurt became Minnesota's all-time leader for large schools. He had 1,072 points this season alone, according to statistics compiled by the Rochester Post-Bulletin .

Hurt has not yet committed to a college, with Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, Minnesota and North Carolina the finalists. His brother, Michael Hurt, has played three years for the Gophers.

https://www.kimt.com/content/news/J...innesota-AP-Player-of-the-Year-507977321.html

Go Gophers!!

This whole Duke debacle in the tournament should be a big red flag for the Hurt family. Coach K has underachieved greatly with his star studded rosters. Ask Gary Trent jr how it worked basically being forced out after one year. He will pry be out of the nba soon. If he stayed he took the backseat to the next 5 star guy coming in and his draft stock drops. Kind of puts your guys in a tough spot with all these top guys coming in. Not to mention its terrible for college basketball.

Playing the same fiddle as Tyus Jones. I will believe it when he says Minnesota, otherwise it's just BS.

We've had lesser recruits play the same "fiddle" and we got burned by them too. So to your point, not holding my breath.

Most young players aren't seeing it as a debacle. They still remember all the Zion love. Won't effect who does or doesn't commit there.

We've had lesser recruits play the same "fiddle" and we got burned by them too. So to your point, not holding my breath.

I don't think not getting Hurt will be getting "burned." It was assumed he is going elsewhere a long time ago. If he stays home, its an ecstatic surprise. If he leaves, we knew it.

Reid Travis burned us.

The one and dones care only about themselves. Success to them is becoming a lottery pick, not winning a national title for the team. Does anyone really think that the Duke and Kentucky freshman on their way to the NBA will be hurt by not making the final four?

The one and dones care only about themselves. Success to them is becoming a lottery pick, not winning a national title for the team. Does anyone really think that the Duke and Kentucky freshman on their way to the NBA will be hurt by not making the final four?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8qlnD2Gq24E

One and dones don’t become one and dones by coasting by on being high end athletes. There’s a competitiveness that sets them apart.

Last edited:

May be true, but all but one team ends up in tears. Doesn’t impact his chances to be drafted as a lottery pick.

May be true, but all but one team ends up in tears. Doesn’t impact his chances to be drafted as a lottery pick.

That doesn’t mean they don’t want to win at every level along the way. As you said, losing in the tournament likely doesn’t impact a player’s draft projection so why are these guys in tears? Generally I think fans too easily forget the human aspect in all this and expect far too much loyalty from players that they don’t give back.

We cheer these players on when they bring us enjoyment but the first hint of them leaving or the first chance at an upgrade, we’re jumping on it every time. Just look at the reaction to Amir declaring for the draft on social media. Here’s a highly touted kid that stuck with the Gophers coming off one of the worst seasons in program history. The second he announced you have people saying he’s not good enough or he’ll never get drafted instead of pulling for him to go achieve his dreams. If you are Matthew Hurt what makes you want to go sign up for that? Athletes should use a University for all their worth because we all know once a player’s no longer useful to a program, they’ll be put on the back burner and forgotten about.

We cheer these players on when they bring us enjoyment but the first hint of them leaving or the first chance at an upgrade, we’re jumping on it every time. Just look at the reaction to Amir declaring for the draft on social media. Here’s a highly touted kid that stuck with the Gophers coming off one of the worst seasons in program history. The second he announced you have people saying he’s not good enough or he’ll never get drafted instead of pulling for him to go achieve his dreams. If you are Matthew Hurt what makes you want to go sign up for that? Athletes should use a University for all their worth because we all know once a player’s no longer useful to a program, they’ll be put on the back burner and forgotten about.

The reason people are jumping all over Coffey is that he's extremely unlikely to be drafted at all, much less in the first round. It's a stupid decision all-around if he leaves because he would be very helpful to the team next year, and leaving is not in his own best interest. It's not analogous to Hurt at all. He would come in with everyone on the same page that he is here for one year or two at most, at which point he would be drafted in the top 15-20 at worst. People would be upset at him leaving to be sure, but they would understand because they'd do the same thing in his shoes. People are (rightfully) upset at the though of Coffey leaving because it's in no one's best interest, including his own.

The reason people are jumping all over Coffey is that he's extremely unlikely to be drafted at all, much less in the first round. It's a stupid decision all-around if he leaves because he would be very helpful to the team next year, and leaving is not in his own best interest. It's not analogous to Hurt at all. He would come in with everyone on the same page that he is here for one year or two at most, at which point he would be drafted in the top 15-20 at worst. People would be upset at him leaving to be sure, but they would understand because they'd do the same thing in his shoes. People are (rightfully) upset at the though of Coffey leaving because it's in no one's best interest, including his own.

Hopefully he'll go through the process clear-eyed and get a realistic view of his prospects. If we're wrong and a team picks him in the first round, it's hard to blame him. More likely he'll find out he's not quite ready and another year of developing his skills and leadership qualities will be in his best interest. As long as he takes a realistic approach to the process, things should work out...I hope. I'll hold off on criticizing him until we actually know the results.

This whole Duke debacle in the tournament should be a big red flag for the Hurt family. Coach K has underachieved greatly with his star studded rosters. Ask Gary Trent jr how it worked basically being forced out after one year. He will pry be out of the nba soon. If he stayed he took the backseat to the next 5 star guy coming in and his draft stock drops. Kind of puts your guys in a tough spot with all these top guys coming in. Not to mention its terrible for college basketball.

LOL

I think coming back makes sense for Amir as I think he could play himself into getting drafted but on the flip side he could just as easily get a 2 way G-League contract allowing him to focus on developing his skills and getting a jumpstart on a path to the NBA. He’d have better coaches and wouldn’t waste another one of his peak years not getting paid. People are upset because Coffey leaving tanks our season next year let’s be brutally honest. There’s likely more positives to Amir leaving (for him) than negatives and that’s a reality a lot of us don’t want to face.

I think coming back makes sense for Amir as I think he could play himself into getting drafted but on the flip side he could just as easily get a 2 way G-League contract allowing him to focus on developing his skills and getting a jumpstart on a path to the NBA. He’d have better coaches and wouldn’t waste another one of his peak years not getting paid. People are upset because Coffey leaving tanks our season next year let’s be brutally honest. There’s likely more positives to Amir leaving (for him) than negatives and that’s a reality a lot of us don’t want to face.

It's possible. But I would tend to say coming back, being a potential 1st team All B1G player and perhaps leading us to a Sweet 16 will do more for his stock than toiling away for the Sioux Falls Sky Force. If we had a bare cupboard coming back next year I would understand it.

In general it is really hard to improve your draft stock from JR to SR year of college. Evaluators find flaws or bad tape and you are just one year older. Look at guys like Mike Daum, you saw him at the back end of rd 2 mocks in past years, he comes back this year, seemingly better across the board and he is no where to be found either. Only guys I can really think of that helped even a little are like Josh Hart or Caris LeVert. Evaluators always crave "what if", at 19 you can hope a guy like Coffey finds his shot and turns into an elite defender. At 22 you kind of know he won't be a knock down shooter or ace defender. Heck even look at guys like Miles bridges, who was slated to be a top 1-3 pick, he stayed, got better, dropped to 10th, same with Joakim Noah.

That is why it makes so much sense for a guy like Amir or Tre Jones to just go to the NBA. It is 100% unfortunate as those are the guys that are so fun to watch in college as seniors but the business model is not set up for that. I am not extremely well versed on the hockey model but I believe they can get drafted at anytime and still go to college while the organization holds their rights and can kind let them know hey you are ready or no you better stick, but they know they have a deal waiting. I would like to see something like that in the NBA. The wolves could say hey Tre, we are ok at point guard this year and we think you are better served at Duke with K vs Sioux Falls, so go there another year, hone your skills and next year if we lose Teague/Rose we would have more of a need and you would be a bit more polished. Everyone wins.

I hope to all that is good that Amir comes back but if he leaves I can't argue his logic.

Top Bottom