All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

per Shama:

Matthew, 6-foot-9, is so skilled he can excel at multiple positions. The bluebloods of college basketball, including Duke and North Carolina, would welcome the five-star recruit, and perhaps his brother—allowing the twosome to play one year together.

It will be a major surprise if Matthew isn’t announced as the state’s Mr. Basketball winner at the Timberwolves game on March 26. Hurt, who averaged about 37 points per game this season, won’t be in attendance because he will play among the nation’s elite players at the March 27 McDonald’s All-American Game in Atlanta.

A member of John Marshall’s varsity since eighth grade, Hurt has closed out his high school career never having played in the state tournament. Lakeville North has blocked Marshall’s path to the state tournament by winning seven consecutive times in the section finals.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Courier Journal: Kentucky recruit Matthew Hurt playing like his brother has 'never seen before'

Michael Hurt pauses to think about the question: If he and his brother, Matthew Hurt, played 10 games of one-on-one, who would win more?

"It’s probably right around 50/50," Michael said with a smile, sitting in Minnesota’s locker room after the Gophers’ 86-76 win over Louisville in the NCAA Tournament’s first round.

"Before, I would take myself. But now, he's getting to a point where I know all of his moves but he’s still hitting. I can know exactly where he’s going to go, but he’ll still hit the shot. You can’t really contest him. He’s getting to a level that I’ve never seen before."

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ew-hurt-keeps-uk-high-on-his-list/3239218002/

Go Gophers!!

Interesting- Memphis was supposed to have the inside track for a while. Oh well. We have to concentrate on kids that want to build something great here. Best of luck to Matthew.

So Pitino goes 0 for 5 in Minnesota for the class of 2019. Missing on Hurt isn't a huge surprise, but still disappointing and a recruiting miss. We also missed on Tyrell Terry, Tyler Wahl, David Roddy and Zeke Nnaji. Ouch...

So Pitino goes 0 for 5 in Minnesota for the class of 2019. Missing on Hurt isn't a huge surprise, but still disappointing and a recruiting miss. We also missed on Tyrell Terry, Tyler Wahl, David Roddy and Zeke Nnaji. Ouch...

Missing on Nnaji hurts. Tyrell Terry was not going to pass up Stanford and I don't think we recurited Roddy or Wahl very hard. If we land Sherfield and a quality big or two, that's a pretty solid class.

I understand who he is up against but at some point Pitino needs one of the top overall recruits in the country from the state to sign with Minnesota.

Monson landed Humphries and Rickert. Tubby landed White.

I understand who he is up against but at some point Pitino needs one of the top overall recruits in the country from the state to sign with Minnesota.

Nailed it.

I will partially agree to an extent...for me Pitino has landed the top talent in MN, but he has done it very inconsistently. He landed the top player in 2015 with Jarvis Johnson and he did it again in 2016 with Amir Coffey. He landed Oturu in 2018(similar ranking to Royce White) who was the second best player in the state and only barely behind the top player, Tre Jones in most recruting services. What has hurt Pitino imo is the years where he seemingly wiffs on the entire state like 2019 and 2017.

I think 2020 is a huge year for us in terms of landing in state talent. We seem to have good relationships with Garcia, Dainja, Carlson and Walton(even Suggs to an extent) but it will be up to Pitiino and his staff to finish those recruiting battles and end up landing a couple of them.

Gopher were never really all in on Terry, Wahl, or Roddy. All were plan B guys or had already committed. I would've liked them to go after Terry much harder but at the time he was making a decision we had Carr and Washington that would be Soph and JR when he got here and PG didn't really look like a need. Now with another struggling season from Isaiah and who knows what he will decide to do a PG or combo guard looks a little more like a need.

I will partially agree to an extent...for me Pitino has landed the top talent in MN, but he has done it very inconsistently. He landed the top player in 2015 with Jarvis Johnson and he did it again in 2016 with Amir Coffey. He landed Oturu in 2018(similar ranking to Royce White) who was the second best player in the state and only barely behind the top player, Tre Jones in most recruting services. What has hurt Pitino imo is the years where he seemingly wiffs on the entire state like 2019 and 2017.

I think 2020 is a huge year for us in terms of landing in state talent. We seem to have good relationships with Garcia, Dainja, Carlson and Walton(even Suggs to an extent) but it will be up to Pitiino and his staff to finish those recruiting battles and end up landing a couple of them.

I am not talking about the top rated player in the state. I am talking about an overall top 25 rated player that is from the state.

White was a top 20 rated player. Oturu was a top 60. Tre Jones top 15. This is from Rivals. I wouldn't call White and Oturu similarly rated according to Rivals.

I am not talking about the top rated player in the state. I am talking about a top 25 rated player overall that is from the state.

White was a top 20 rated player. Oturu was a top 60. Tre Jones top 15. This is from Rivals. I wouldn't call White and Oturu similarly rated according to Rivals.

They were both top 5 players at their position. You are truly splitting hairs if you wouldn't call that similar. Not to mention, Oturu had a blue blood offer(Royce had none) and likely would have ended up with a better offer list than Royce had he not commited so early.

Last edited:

I am not talking about the top rated player in the state. I am talking about an overall top 25 rated player that is from the state.

Royce was #35 on ESPN.

And all 3 have big-time asterisks that come with them. Rickert would have been an Arizona Wildcat if not for his father. Humphries was all but certainly going to a blue blood but he screwed that up with being a massive prick at the time. Royce had all sorts of red flags, Tubby took a chance, and it obviously didn't work out. All three didn't contribute much at all in terms of elevating the program either. Humphries one year here was basically a season long NBA draft showcase.

I could be missing guys but I think people need to change the narrative around “missed”Minnesota recruits and success they have elsewhere obviously some or all of these would have helped us but it’s not like they have lit the world on fire or had great part in team success:

2016 Minnesota class
Amir and Hurt 3 years 2 NCAA appearances 1 win
Reed Nikko 3 years 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins

2017 Minnesota class
Nate Reveurs Brad Davison 2 years 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins
Mckinly Wright 2 years 0 NCAA appearances 0 wins
Theo John 2 years 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins
Jericho Sims 2 years 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins
Race Thompson 2 years 0 NCAA 0 wins

2018 Minnesota class
Daniel, Gabe and Jarvis 1 year 1 NCAA appearance 1 win
Joe Hedstrom 1 year 1 NCAA appearance 0 wins

All I can see is that when you stay you have more NCAA success than those that leave to similar programs. Kids who stayed have so far experienced better ncaa success then kids who have left and that’s a fact.

I could be missing guys but I think people need to change the narrative around “missed”Minnesota recruits and success they have elsewhere obviously some or all of these would have helped us but it’s not like they have lit the world on fire or had great part in team success:

2016 Minnesota class

2017 Minnesota class

2018 Minnesota class

All I can see is that when you stay you have more NCAA success than those that leave to similar programs. Kids who stayed have so far experienced better ncaa success then kids who have left and that’s a fact.

Interesting that you didn't go back further than 2016. Why is that?

2016 Minnesota class

2017 Minnesota class

2018 Minnesota class

So you qualify it by leaving out the best players and then say we have similar programs to UW, Texas and Marquette ! What is remotely comparable in our programs to those three ! I actually have zero complaints about in state recruiting. I have serious issues with how our players are coached.

2016 Minnesota class

2017 Minnesota class

2018 Minnesota class

Conveniently left out Tre Jones.

Who offers dad the most $$$? Who has funnelled what to dad's "AAU" program? Follow the money.

Probably because Pitino was not going to land anyone in 2013 because he became the head coach in April and in 2014 he was obviously very late to the party on a bunch of top players who had blue bloods and other top programs or academic schools after them for multiple years. 2015 was the first year he had a legitimate shot and landing top talent in the state and he did(Jarvis Johnson) as well as landing a guy who will have his jersey in the rafters in a couple of years.

Missing on Nnaji hurts. Tyrell Terry was not going to pass up Stanford and I don't think we recurited Roddy or Wahl very hard. If we land Sherfield and a quality big or two, that's a pretty solid class.

Nnaji would have started day one and probably one of the pieces needed to contend for a Big Ten title, really hurts.

Get Dainja and Walton for 2020, that would be good enough for me

This is not completely defending Pitino from not getting some of these guys as I think he should have but when everyone keeps saying how great these other guys going elsewhere are doing people need to put it into context the kids who have stayed home have done better.

2015 class was Jarvis Johnson Alex Illikainen and Sacar Anim so no real misses there either.

2014 was the Tyus Rashad Travis class which as a new coach was a tough sell and Travis was a gut punch.

But obviously doesn’t fit your narrative.

Top Bottom