All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

I’m with you. I also expect more. We should have had a few of the Jones brothers, the kid that plays for Stanford, The shooter that went to Xavier and that Reuvers kid would sure look good coming back to play on our front line next season, Hurt, etc. Oturo and Coffee are great gets. Would have been nice to pair them with someone though.

you're expectation was for us to beat out Duke to get ones of the Joneses? doesn't that seem a little farfetched do you?

you're expectation was for us to beat out Duke to get ones of the Joneses? doesn't that seem a little farfetched do you?

He was being sarcastic. Had the Gophers had a little luck in the Tubby Smith years...meaning had the Royce White situation never happened and Al Nolen and Trevor Mbakwe never been hurt, we probably would have gone to 5 straight NCAA Tournaments (we made it in 09, 10 and 13). If we would have made a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run in that time, we would have had a decent shot at getting some of those top players in the state. I don't know why that seems like such an impossibility to some people. Yeah, if our program is in the bottom third of the B1G, the top players from Minnesota are probably not going to come here. The goal should be to be a top 5 or 6 program in the B1G....not to finish .500 in the conference.

Last edited:

I actually think we have a shot to land Hurt if Coffey leaves for the pros. Hurt wants the best situation for him. In my biased opinion, that would
Be with the gophers if Coffey leaves. Hurt could command the ball and showcase all
Of his talents as he has a similar mode as Coffey. IMO

Hurt will declare long before we know anything on Coffey!

He was being sarcastic. Had the Gophers had a little luck in the Tubby Smith years...meaning had the Royce White situation never happened and Al Nolen and Trevor Mbakwe never been hurt, we probably would have gone to 5 straight NCAA Tournaments (we made it in 09, 10 and 13). If we would have made a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run in that time, we would have had a decent shot at getting some of those top players in the state. I don't know why that seems like such an impossibility to some people. Yeah, if our program is in the bottom third of the B1G, the top players from Minnesota are probably not going to come here. The goal should be to be a top 5 or 6 program in the B1G....not to finish .500 in the conference.

The goal to me is to be the best program in the conference. As far as why five straight NCAA's being hard to grasp, some of us do not live in if, but, would have, could have.

So your self-proclaimed high expectations are satisfied by "if we had luck we had a decent chance of getting top players"?????????

I actually think we have a shot to land Hurt if Coffey leaves for the pros. Hurt wants the best situation for him. In my biased opinion, that would
Be with the gophers if Coffey leaves. Hurt could command the ball and showcase all

Neither are happening. Coffey isn't projected to be in the 2nd round on any draft boards. Barring he absolutely blows up in the BTT or NCAAs, he will be back for his senior year. And if he does go, he's getting bad info from somewhere. Get a decent big man in recruiting that can pair with Oturu, and you have a solid group coming back next season.

The Gophers coaches have gone to see Hurt maybe once since the basketball season started. They stopped using their resources on him because they know he's not staying home. It's also why Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC and Memphis are coming to Rochester at every available chance. It's unfortunate because he does want to play one college season with his brother, but it won't be here.

So your self-proclaimed high expectations are satisfied by "if we had luck we had a decent chance of getting top players"?????????

No I was saying if we were a top program (top 5 or 6) in the conference we would have a realistic shot at getting the Tyus Jines, Tre Jones, Matthew Hurt, Rashad Vaughn....the players some on here have said will only play for Blue Bloods. The reason I brought up Royce White and some of the injuries was to point out we were close to having that within the last 10 years. My expectations are that we should have a top 5 or 6 program in the conference, so we are able to get some of those players. Not a token team in the players final 8 only because we are the only university in the players home state.

Do you follow Ryan James? He has basically said Matthew is not coming. It's already done. He wants the blood bloods, the marketing, and whatever under the table stuff Zion got.

Neither are happening. Coffey isn't projected to be in the 2nd round on any draft boards. Barring he absolutely blows up in the BTT or NCAAs, he will be back for his senior year. And if he does go, he's getting bad info from somewhere. Get a decent big man in recruiting that can pair with Oturu, and you have a solid group coming back next season.

The Gophers coaches have gone to see Hurt maybe once since the basketball season started. They stopped using their resources on him because they know he's not staying home. It's also why Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC and Memphis are coming to Rochester at every available chance. It's unfortunate because he does want to play one college season with his brother, but it won't be here.

I have to agree. So disappointed. Wish this decision was completed so we could move on and focus on young men who want to be here.

No I was saying if we were a top program (top 5 or 6) in the conference we would have a realistic shot at getting the Tyus Jines, Tre Jones, Matthew Hurt, Rashad Vaughn....the players some on here have said will only play for Blue Bloods. The reason I brought up Royce White and some of the injuries was to point out we were close to having that within the last 10 years. My expectations are that we should have a top 5 or 6 program in the conference, so we are able to get some of those players. Not a token team in the players final 8 only because we are the only university in the players home state.

I'm still a little confused - you said that it never felt like we didn't have a chance at top players, only the last six years have you felt that way. When exactly were all these top players giving us legitimate consideration?

I have to agree. So disappointed. Wish this decision was completed so we could move on and focus on young men who want to be here.

Agreed. Thread is dead. We need multiple quality recruits that will stay multiple years; its the only way for this program to ascend. Loss of Hurt does not hurt as much as one might think.

I'm still a little confused - you said that it never felt like we didn't have a chance at top players, only the last six years have you felt that way. When exactly were all these top players giving us legitimate consideration?

When Tubby Smith was hired, I asked someone in the college basketball scene (an assistant at college level) if he thought Tubby would be successful at the U. He told me he didn't know. He said watch what happens with Royce White and Rodney Williams. If he is able to get those guys I think he can win at Minnesota, if not, it's going to be a lot of what we have seen the last 10 seasons. They were both entering the junior years in high school when Tubby got here and he signed both players. Now neither White nor Williams were as highly rated as either Jones, or Hurt. I think White was rated somewhere around 30 and Rodney was in the 50's probably. But the point is it looked like Tubby was starting to build something. I felt if that would have continued, we would have had a shot at Tyus, Vaughn, Travis and Macura in the great 2014 class.

Now White had problems at the MOA and then again at Frontier Hall with a laptop, Nolen hurt his ankle when we were ranked 15th in the country and everything unraveled...we lost 10 of our last 11 games. I thought we had another chance to turn it around in 2013 when Mbakwe was given an extra year, and we were rated as high as 8th in the country, but everything fell apart again. After it fell apart, it has not felt like we have had a chance at any of the top players in Minnesota. Maybe for a little bit I thought we had a chance with Hurt, but the trajectory the last two years kind of took care of that. BTW, I am not saying we shouldn't have fired Tubby.

I've said if Pitino gets us to the NCAA Tournament, I would give him another year. But I don't think he is the coach who will get us to the point where we are a top 5 program in the conference. We need to get the program to that point to be able keep our studs like Hurt, Suggs, Garcia and Holmgren to stay and play for the Gophers. Or at least be in the running for them deep into their recruitments.

This thread is about Matthew Hurt. He's a heck of a player and I wish he was coming to the U. I've seen him play about a dozen times, and will be going to Rochester to watch him again on Monday night and then again on Thursday if they win. I hope they win both games so he can play in the state tournament.

Last edited:

When Tubby Smith was hired, I asked someone in the college basketball scene (an assistant at college level) if he thought Tubby would be successful at the U. He told me he didn't know. He said watch what happens with Royce White and Rodney Williams. If he is able to get those guys I think he can win at Minnesota, if not, it's going to be a lot of what we have seen the last 10 seasons. They were both entering the junior years in high school when Tubby got here and he signed both players. Now neither White nor Williams were as highly rated as either Jones, or Hurt. I think White was rated somewhere around 30 and Rodney was in the 50's probably. But the point is it looked like Tubby was starting to build something. I felt if that would have continued, we would have had a shot at Tyus, Vaughn, Travis and Macura in the great 2014 class.

Now White had problems at the MOA and then again at Frontier Hall with a laptop, Nolen hurt his ankle when we were ranked 15th in the country and everything unraveled...we lost 10 of our last 11 games. I thought we had another chance to turn it around in 2013 when Mbakwe was given an extra year, and we were rated as high as 8th in the country, but everything fell apart again. After it fell apart, it has not felt like we have had a chance at any of the top players in Minnesota. Maybe for a little bit I thought we had a chance with Hurt, but the trajectory the last two years kind of took care of that. BTW, I am not saying we shouldn't have fired Tubby.

I've said if Pitino gets us to the NCAA Tournament, I would give him another year. But I don't think he is the coach who will get us to the point where we are a top 5 program in the conference. We need to get the program to that point to be able keep our studs like Hurt, Suggs, Garcia and Holmgren to stay and play for the Gophers. Or at least be in the running for them deep into their recruitments.

This thread is about Matthew Hurt. He's a heck of a player and I wish he was coming to the U. I've seen him play about a dozen times, and will be going to Rochester to watch him again on Monday night and then again on Thursday if they win. I hope they win both games so he can play in the state tournament.
In you’re previous post you detailed all of the unfortunate forks in the road that Tubby’s tenure encountered that derailed his program.

Couldn’t you say the same about Pitino? Sure, Pitino was never going to make the tournament every year, but he too has dealt with major injuries. People forget Dre Hollins suffered a nasty ankle injury his senior year that really hobbled our best player.. the sex scandal involving Mason and company completely ruined our play on the court and tarnished the program a bit. Major injuries last year prevented us to build on the NCAA appearance..

You can call these excuses but you yourself cited examples that hurt Tubby’s program. And, again, Pitino’s ceiling may not have gotten us to the tourny every year, but he was 30 fricking years old when we hired him. Tubby won a national title. It makes sense to give Pitino a longer leash

Last edited:

In you’re previous post you detailed all of the unfortunate forks in the road that Tubby’s tenure encountered that derailed his program.

Couldn’t you say the same about Pitino? Sure, Pitino was never going to make the tournaments every year, but he too has dealt with major injuries. People forget Dre Hollins suffered a nasty ankle injury his senior year that really hobbled our best player.. the sex scandal involving Mason and company completely ruined our play on the court and tarnished the program a bit. Major injuries last year prevented us to build on the NCAA appearance..

You can call these excuses but you yourself cited examples that hurt Tubby’s program. And, again, Pitino’s ceiling may not have gotten us to the tourny every year, but he was 30 fricking years old when we hired him. Tubby won a national title. Iit makes sense to give Pitino a longer leash

Like I said, if I was making the decision if the Gophers make the tournament I would give him another year. I agree that Pitino has also had some bad breaks. After 2013, I would have given Tubby another year, but I also was beginning to question whether he was going to be the coach I was hoping he would be, at least for the Gophers. The situation was starting to get a little toxic and that was going to effect his chances of getting top players. I was still hoping he would have a shot at Vaughn, Travis or Macura....maybe even Wally's little brother Henry. But looking back on it, it was probably a good move for both the U and Tubby.

The guy from Philly asked me when it changed for me. I was letting him know my opinion. I guess I just wish our program was in better shape so we could get or at least be in the running for players like Matthew Hurt. Maybe this is all we can expect from the Gophers now....middle to bottom half of the conference, with some years sneaking in as a 10, 11 or 12th seed. Personally, with the improvement of high school basketball in Minnesota, I would think we should be able to expect more.

Agreed. Thread is dead. We need multiple quality recruits that will stay multiple years; its the only way for this program to ascend. Loss of Hurt does not hurt as much as one might think.

So true. A quality top notch point guard along with another good strong big man will do wonders for this team next year

Like I said, if I was making the decision if the Gophers make the tournament I would give him another year. I agree that Pitino has also had some bad breaks. After 2013, I would have given Tubby another year, but I also was beginning to question whether he was going to be the coach I was hoping he would be, at least for the Gophers. The situation was starting to get a little toxic and that was going to effect his chances of getting top players. I was still hoping he would have a shot at Vaughn, Travis or Macura....maybe even Wally's little brother Henry. But looking back on it, it was probably a good move for both the U and Tubby.

The guy from Philly asked me when it changed for me. I was letting him know my opinion. I guess I just wish our program was in better shape so we could get or at least be in the running for players like Matthew Hurt. Maybe this is all we can expect from the Gophers now....middle to bottom half of the conference, with some years sneaking in as a 10, 11 or 12th seed. Personally, with the improvement of high school basketball in Minnesota, I would think we should be able to expect more.
We were a 5 seed two years ago. I'm not really sure why you are so pessimistic. yeah, we aren't getting Hurt. but when was the last time the Gophers got a top 10 recruit? it's not like Pitino is falling short of the program's historical standard.

you wish Pitino was better and had the program in a better place. that's fair. but I see no reason why our ceiling is the 10 or 11 seed in the NCAA tournament. Pitino has already broken that ceiling once. If we make the tournament this year and are a threat next year, I don't see why Pitino could not ace the 2020 class and then the program will have momentum again

We were a 5 seed two years ago. I'm not really sure why you are so pessimistic. yeah, we aren't getting Hurt. but when was the last time the Gophers got a top 10 recruit? it's not like Pitino is falling short of the program's historical standard.

you wish Pitino was better and had the program in a better place. that's fair. but I see no reason why our ceiling is the 10 or 11 seed in the NCAA tournament. Pitino has already broken that ceiling once. If we make the tournament this year and are a threat next year, I don't see why Pitino could not ace the 2020 class and then the program will have momentum again

I've said I would give him another year if we make the tournament, which I think we will. I would say we are in with a win next Thursday, and probably 50-50 even if we lose, unless it's to Indiana. Then it would probably be less than 50-50.

With Coffey, Oturu and Gabe, we shouldn't be a middle of the pack to bottom half B1G team next year. I would hope we would finish in the top 6. There are 4 highly regarded Minnesota high school seniors next year. I hope we aren't shut out. I guess I'm pessimistic by what we have seen the last 6 seasons....or if you want to go back further, pretty much 20 seasons.

Pitino needs to either leave of his volition or be fired to salvage the 2020 recruiting class. The Minnesota group is full of talent and looking brutal for us.

per Shooter:

Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski and his staff, Memphis’ Mike Miller, and Kentucky’s John Calipari and Kenny Payne were among coaches in Rochester last week watching five-star recruit Matthew Hurt of John Marshall against Century in the state playoffs last week.

Hurt, who’s expected to be named Minnesota Mr. Basketball on March 26 at the Timberwolves-Clippers game at Target Center, scored 41 points (19 of 22 field-goal shooting) with 12 rebounds and 10 assists in front of a sellout crowd at John Marshall. Memphis and Duke are favorites for Hurt.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/09/charley-walters-joe-mauer-looking-forward-to-dad-year/

Go Gophers!!

This is frustrating since Pitino recruited Michael and gave him every chance to play for 3 years up until the last month. If the older brother had more talent and confidence and had become a starter or our sixth man we would have had a much better shot at Matthew.

Parents like for coaches directly correlates with the amount of playing time.

Hope Matthews decision is independent of Pitino not giving Matthew more court time. He himself needed to earn that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Shooter:

Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski and his staff, Memphis’ Mike Miller, and Kentucky’s John Calipari and Kenny Payne were among coaches in Rochester last week watching five-star recruit Matthew Hurt of John Marshall against Century in the state playoffs last week.

Hurt, who’s expected to be named Minnesota Mr. Basketball on March 26 at the Timberwolves-Clippers game at Target Center, scored 41 points (19 of 22 field-goal shooting) with 12 rebounds and 10 assists in front of a sellout crowd at John Marshall. Memphis and Duke are favorites for Hurt.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/09/charley-walters-joe-mauer-looking-forward-to-dad-year/

Go Gophers!!

So all we ever read about is how these other coaches are in Rochester to watch him play. Does Pitino ever go watch him and why isn't that ever news?. Almost never read about Pitino going somewhere to watch someone play.

So all we ever read about is how these other coaches are in Rochester to watch him play. Does Pitino ever go watch him and why isn't that ever news?. Almost never read about Pitino going somewhere to watch someone play.

That is all part of the inferiority complex we have in the state. It is considered successful and big news if outside schools give you attention, but not if the U is giving you attention. That leads to the young players and fans all to all discount the value of going to the U. I know that there are schools with stronger reputations than the U, but we will never keep kids home until we start giving respect to the home school. PJ gets bashed all the time for his positivity, but you can never be the best if you do not think you are worth to be the best. It is like the local fanbase doesn't think we deserve to be the best.

That is all part of the inferiority complex we have in the state. It is considered successful and big news if outside schools give you attention, but not if the U is giving you attention. That leads to the young players and fans all to all discount the value of going to the U. I know that there are schools with stronger reputations than the U, but we will never keep kids home until we start giving respect to the home school. PJ gets bashed all the time for his positivity, but you can never be the best if you do not think you are worth to be the best. It is like the local fanbase doesn't think we deserve to be the best.

Inferiority complex or caustic media?. I'd lean towards the media being the issue.

Pitino was there until it was realized it was zero chance.

Top Bottom