All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Prediction

We should be very worried about Memphis right now.

They've got Wiseman, the 2019 national #1, committed. They also have two other warm 5-stars besides Hurt for 2018 and 2019 respectively.

Penny Hardaway as head coach is a great recruiting draw in itself. Sam Mitchell and Mike Miller are assistants which will make them even more effective in MN.

Jelly, angry about playing time, transfers to Memphis after this semester.

Jelly, angry about playing time, transfers to Memphis after this semester.

haha....if he is looking at playing time I don't think Memphis would be his destination as they signed 2 4 start PG's in the 2018 cycle

We should be very worried about Memphis right now.

They've got Wiseman, the 2019 national #1, committed. They also have two other warm 5-stars besides Hurt for 2018 and 2019 respectively.

Penny Hardaway as head coach is a great recruiting draw in itself. Sam Mitchell and Mike Miller are assistants which will make them even more effective in MN.

I mean I’d go with the vast majority of his draw currently is with guys he coached in AAU, ehichis a massive advantage as it gives him exponentially larger access to these kids early in their formative time from a relationship standpoint. Don’t feel like he has quite that same pull on Hurt

Miller

I mean I’d go with the vast majority of his draw currently is with guys he coached in AAU, ehichis a massive advantage as it gives him exponentially larger access to these kids early in their formative time from a relationship standpoint. Don’t feel like he has quite that same pull on Hurt

I believe the Hurt family have some connection with Miller.

per Shama:

Memphis might be a leader in the “sweepstakes” for a commitment next spring from Rochester John Marshall superstar and senior Matthew Hurt. The new Memphis staff, featuring head coach Penny Hardaway, and assistants Mike Miller and Sam Mitchell, all have impressive NBA backgrounds. They can talk to Hurt from experience about how positioned the three are to get him best prepped for a pro career.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Is this Hurt's year to lead his team into the spotlight?

1. READY FOR STATE FANFARE
One of Minnesota’s marquee seniors, regarded among the nation’s best, has rarely had the chance to play on the metro area high school stage. Rochester John Marshall senior Matthew Hurt, ranked No. 7 in the nation by Rivals.com and his teammates have fallen short of the state tournament and its television exposure for six consecutive years, each time losing to Lakeville North in the Class 4A, Section 1 championship. Is this the year for the 6-9 Hurt, younger brother of Gophers junior forward Michael, and the Rockets to play at Target Center in March? Hurt, who has yet to announce his college selection, and the Rockets will play at the Lindbergh Center at Hopkins High School on Saturday against defending state champion Cretin-Derham Hall at 2:15 p.m.

https://www.mnbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/973457

Go Gophers!!

Roy Williams is rumored to be in Northfield tonight as the Raiders host JM.

JM is off to an 0-2 start this season. Will this be their first win?

I watched Hurt last weekend vs Cretin. I think he had 40 pts. And he wasn't hitting his 3s. If Rochester had guards that could handle the ball they would go to state. Unfortunately they don't, so Lakeville North will beat them again.

Hurt should would look good getting about 20 feeds from IW!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I watched Hurt last weekend vs Cretin. I think he had 40 pts. And he wasn't hitting his 3s. If Rochester had guards that could handle the ball they would go to state. Unfortunately they don't, so Lakeville North will beat them again.

Rochester has some good guards, they just don't play for JM. Would be a lot of fun to see Gabe Madsen and Hurt on the same team.

No, Raiders won 73-70. Roy was there with Hubert Davis.

It's hard to believe that a top 5 player in the nation in a large city wouldn't have enough quality players around him to make it to state. It's looking very unlikely at this point.

I heard he's more of a QB guy.

I love the QB Club... Nothing wrong with Basil's, but I go try to go to George's if I go to a Olaf game. I have friends that are B&L fans. All good choices.

Last edited:

It's hard to believe that a top 5 player in the nation in a large city wouldn't have enough quality players around him to make it to state. It's looking very unlikely at this point.

I love the QB Club... Nothing wrong with Basil's, but I go try to go to George's if I go to a Olaf game. I have friends that are B&L fans. All good choices.

Can't go wrong with any of those 3 pizza joints. Something about the Basil's red sauce that I give it the edge, little bit of a zip to it. Maybe Roy & Hubie went to Hogan Bros instead, now my favorite subs with the Big 10 now defunct.

This has nothing to do with Rochester and more to do with how good Lakeville North is and has been.

This has nothing to do with Rochester and more to do with how good Lakeville North is and has been.

Yes and no. As far as making it to state and having to go through them, yes. But them losing to Kato-E, CDH by a combined 30 point and losing to Northfield is relevant to my point about their talent. When you have the a top 5 player in the nation and you are in a large city, how can your supporting players be that bad?

The Ole Store. The menu can be a bit pretentious, but it's the best food in Northfield. And they serve liquor now.

JTG

Yes and no. As far as making it to state and having to go through them, yes. But them losing to Kato-E, CDH by a combined 30 point and losing to Northfield is relevant to my point about their talent. When you have the a top 5 player in the nation and you are in a large city, how can your supporting players be that bad?

Having 4 high schools in town has a tendency to water down the talent a bit. It all runs in cycles, might just be a down year at JM. But they'll likely figure it out and be competitive by tourney time.

+1

JM has a top 5 player in the country. If they had even remote average talent for an outside the metro MN team, they'd steamroll everyone.

The fact that there are 4 high schools in Rochester doesn't help. If there were only 1 or 2 and he was playing with the Madsen brothers, they would be hard to beat.

Having 4 high schools in town has a tendency to water down the talent a bit. It all runs in cycles, might just be a down year at JM. But they'll likely figure it out and be competitive by tourney time.

Beat me to it.

Big Ten Guy wrote:
The fact that there are 4 high schools in Rochester doesn't help. If there were only 1 or 2 and he was playing with the Madsen brothers, they would be hard to beat.
Open enrollment. No excuses.

Last edited:

Sorry I meant that more to past teams when they had some depth at guard. Yeah this year they are completely depleted.

Last edited:

Top Bottom