All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

OFF TOPIC - OFF TOPIC
As an FYI - lie detectors are complete garbage.

Often - the worst criminals are able to pass them easily. We all know the people who are such liars that they can do it without thinking, they pass. There are also the people in the world who get nervous when they see cop car (even when they are doing nothing wrong). Additionally, if anyone comes out and says "I passed a lie detector, I can prove it". That usually means that they passed one given by their lawyers and it's not uncommon for them to take multiple tests until they pass.

It's garbage, it's used to put pressure on people into talking. It's used as a tool.

Tends to be be my impression too. There's a reason they aren't admissible in court. Didn't even think about taking multiple tests. I suppose he could also just admit guilt during the lie detector test and pass. No one except he and his lawyers know what his answers were or what questions were asked. I remember reading about how Jacob Wetterling's dad failed one during the early parts of the investigation about Jacob's kidnapping. Turned out to be an issue with the wording of the question. I think you are right that it is just a tool. Detectives ask people to take them just so they can see their reaction to that question. It's less about the test itself and more about the person's willingness to participate.

Sorry for the off topic posts everyone, back to our quest to land Matthew Hurt!

Not really rules violation but it is basically laying down the ground work for a future endorsement contract based on how he does in the future and draft status, having to consider that in your college choice is just so wrong in my mind.

Totally a rules violation, Matthew, don't sign with any Adidas sponsored schools or you'll end up in jail. That and I'm pretty sure the east coast is going to get hit by meteorites next year, don't sign with any schools on the east coast.

Totally a rules violation, Matthew, don't sign with any Adidas sponsored schools or you'll end up in jail. That and I'm pretty sure the east coast is going to get hit by meteorites next year, don't sign with any schools on the east coast.

Tornadoes and wildfires in Kansas... Just saying...

And Cali and the entire West Coast is going to fall into the ocean, so...

It's my opinion that if the Gophers want this kid, they will have to pay him. With that list of schools, he stands to make roughly 200K at the very least for signing a letter of intent. Bill Self will be the next one to go down in
a cheating/paying your players scandal. You can take that one to the bank. Pony up boys if you want to win. It's the only way!! LOL

Anybody have a link with the schedule of games, times, and locations for the Minnesota D1 Spring Showcase this weekend.

KU mentioned as part of this in Josh Jackson's recruitment. I thought I'd post this here since Kansas seems to be the favorite for Hurt.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's going to be a rocky offseason.

The new charges include NC State and KANSAS! So this may help out the Gophers if the Jayhawks are under investigation.

per Shama:

Just speculation but it might be the only way five-star basketball recruit Matthew Hurt from Rochester John Marshall will end up as a Gopher in 2019 is if Minnesota coach Richard Pitino could convince Hurt’s father, Richard, to join his staff as an assistant coach. Richard has been active in high school and AAU coaching for years, and also groomed his son Michael, a Gopher junior next season. Pitino has a staff opening with the departure of another Minnesota native, Ben Johnson to Xavier.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Just speculation but it might be the only way five-star basketball recruit Matthew Hurt from Rochester John Marshall will end up as a Gopher in 2019 is if Minnesota coach Richard Pitino could convince Hurt’s father, Richard, to join his staff as an assistant coach. Richard has been active in high school and AAU coaching for years, and also groomed his son Michael, a Gopher junior next season. Pitino has a staff opening with the departure of another Minnesota native, Ben Johnson to Xavier.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Usually this seems like a bad idea, but this specific case could have benefits beyond just Matthew's recruitment. Hurt's dad is the coach of D1 MN which churns out a lot of really good players.

Usually this seems like a bad idea, but this specific case could have benefits beyond just Matthew's recruitment. Hurt's dad is the coach of D1 MN which churns out a lot of really good players.

There are several coaches in the D1 MN program, and unless something has changed in the last couple years, he isn't one of the main ones. Last I knew he seemed to be more of a statistician. Nothing against Richard Hurt, but I think hiring him would be purely to get Matthew and he would likely be let go after he gets drafted. I'd prefer a coach who is experienced with recruiting and coaching at the D1 level (not the AAU team). One of the few exceptions I would make is for Damian Johnson as he, in my opinion, has much more upside long term.

Richard Hurt is not the coach of D1 MN

There are several coaches in the D1 MN program, and unless something has changed in the last couple years, he isn't one of the main ones. Last I knew he seemed to be more of a statistician. Nothing against Richard Hurt, but I think hiring him would be purely to get Matthew and he would likely be let go after he gets drafted. I'd prefer a coach who is experienced with recruiting and coaching at the D1 level (not the AAU team). One of the few exceptions I would make is for Damian Johnson as he, in my opinion, has much more upside long term.

Agree

There are several coaches in the D1 MN program, and unless something has changed in the last couple years, he isn't one of the main ones. Last I knew he seemed to be more of a statistician. Nothing against Richard Hurt, but I think hiring him would be purely to get Matthew and he would likely be let go after he gets drafted

He does 'some' coaching and apparently he does some recruiting for D1-Mn. Locking up Matthew would be worth it IMO.

Don't see it happening though.

He does 'some' coaching and apparently he does some recruiting for D1-Mn. Locking up Matthew would be worth it IMO.

Don't see it happening though.

I think that's fair. I just don't see him as a long-term solution for the position, but you can certainly argue that hiring him for a year would be worth it if it gets us Matthew. I'd prefer to not have to listen to people saying we're only good because we hire recruits' parents though.

I think it really depends on Richard Hurts personality towards his son when coaching. If Richard is one of the rare parents who treats his son like every other player, then fine I'd put him on the staff.

My concern is that Richard Hurt may have his own ideas on how to best coach his son and if Pitino and him don't see eye to eye, you have conflict within the team and it makes Matthew not worth the headache. We've already seen minor disagreements on Twitter between Coffeys father over how Pitino should coach Amir. I'm sorry I don't want that anywhere near the locker room.

All in all, I'd rather land Hurt without the father. Plenty of other talented (albeit less) players than Matthew Hurt. If the father is the deal breaker.

I think the Gophs have a strong chance of getting Hurt but think hiring his father is a horrible idea and not going to happen.

Richard Hurt was an assistant coach for JM this winter. No idea what happens in practice...in games he sits quietly and cheers for the team. No communication at any point with the head coach or players that I saw. Patted Matthew on the butt out of a huddle once and startled him. Stats guy appears to be accurate from my observation. He did roundup JM boys..(football guys?) to sit behind the bench so hecklers wouldn't sit there in the Auditorium. That's the extent of coaching I saw in a half a dozen games this year against the better opponents. Definitely worth the hire if that's what it takes to get Matthew.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie reports that Pitino is visiting Hurt's HS today. UCLA and Memphis were in earlier this week; Xavier will be in this afternoon. Duke, KU, Kentucky and UNC were all in the last few weeks.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

Richard Hurt was an assistant coach for JM this winter. No idea what happens in practice...in games he sits quietly and cheers for the team. No communication at any point with the head coach or players that I saw. Patted Matthew on the butt out of a huddle once and startled him. Stats guy appears to be accurate from my observation. He did roundup JM boys..(football guys?) to sit behind the bench so hecklers wouldn't sit there in the Auditorium. That's the extent of coaching I saw in a half a dozen games this year against the better opponents. Definitely worth the hire if that's what it takes to get Matthew.

Not hiring his dad. This is not some hack university like some that let the athletic department run things. The regents still have power and are not going for that. There is not a shred of evidence that Pitino even wants to do it or that it is a good idea.

Marcus Fuller said on Twitter that Pitino was having an in-home visit with Matthew this morning.

Not hiring his dad. This is not some hack university like some that let the athletic department run things. The regents still have power and are not going for that. There is not a shred of evidence that Pitino even wants to do it or that it is a good idea.

Define "hack" university.

Interesting......

Would it really be the worse thing in the world hiring Richard Hurt? If it lands us Matthew Hurt, and gets us a first round draft pick I'm all for it. Having someone in the NBA would be a jumpstart for recruiting, and Pitino can tell a kid look I have a lottery pick in the NBA. This one move if we are guaranteed Hurt could change the perception of Gophers basketball, in a good way for the big time recruits.

I sure hope you are right.

Top Bottom