All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's clear that Matthew is going to be a big time, national recruit. Here is a thread that we can use to post updates, articles, video, tweets and more.

i had big hopes for the dahlman family impacting the gopher program for both men's and women. that didn't turn out too well. let's hope the hurt family is different!

As I posted in another thread - this trend of going after recruits at such an early age bothers me. I believe there should be a minimum age for recruiting - maybe 15 or 16 - and below that age, colleges should not be allowed to have any contact with prospective recruits. Let kids grow up before subjecting them to the spotlight. Most HS Juniors and Seniors are barely mature enough to deal with the pressures of big-time recruiting - I just can't see how it's healthy to subject a 13- or 14-year old kid to that kind of pressure.

What's next - a comprehensive survey of the top 5th-grade players?

as i posted in another thread - well, thanks for that short ornery norwegian. the self-described ornery one is living up to his name.

you cared enough about him to open the thread and post about it. you could have easily read the headline, decided to skip this one, but instead you opened it, and posted about it. if the hurt family doesn't want their son recruited in 8th grade, they can make that decision and tell the coaches to come back in a few years. my guess is they won't, nor would 99.9% of families. let threads be threads.

i had big hopes for the dahlman family impacting the gopher program for both men's and women. that didn't turn out too well. let's hope the hurt family is different!

The last Dahlman brother wasn't anywhere near a D1 or D2 player last year as a senior for braham. I think he plays football for St. Scholastica. And too bad Isaiah sat bench for Michigan St. He probably couldn't have made an impact for the gophers

As I posted in another thread - this trend of going after recruits at such an early age bothers me. I believe there should be a minimum age for recruiting - maybe 15 or 16 - and below that age, colleges should not be allowed to have any contact with prospective recruits. Let kids grow up before subjecting them to the spotlight. Most HS Juniors and Seniors are barely mature enough to deal with the pressures of big-time recruiting - I just can't see how it's healthy to subject a 13- or 14-year old kid to that kind of pressure.

I think freshman year is fine, any earlier than that is pretty dumb, if they are that good they are probably already in the spotlight, starting on the varsity, etc..

I thought he was a ninth grader, should probably be left alone for at least the next year, I agree with you Norwegian.

He's 6'8 and the second leading scorer on the varsity team behind his brother, so I think we can start talking about him.

Fairbault Daily News: Hurt brothers, in front of Gophers coach Richard Pitino, lead Rochester John Marshall boys over Faribault

Faribault (7-8, 4-8 Big 9) lost to JM (11-4, 9-3) 72-48 earlier this season, and JM junior forward Michael Hurt had 23 points in the win. Hurt was limited to 13 on Friday, but his younger brother, eighth-grader Matthew Hurt, scored 22. Matthew Hurt was out with an injury and didn’t play in the teams’ first meeting.

The Hurt brothers are both Division I prospects, and Minnesota Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino was at Friday’s game. Michael Hurt has already been offered a scholarship from the Gophers.

http://www.southernminn.com/faribau...cle_48fe4cf2-5f92-5bb3-9c17-398684ffc846.html

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Meh...kid has parents...maybe we let them decide.

Averaging almost 16 a game. Tyus averaged a little over 10 as an eighth grader, I believe.

Tyus played in a much better conference.

On the contrary, Tyus didn't have a nationally-ranked recruit on his HS team scoring a bulk of the points while he was an 8th grader, so it sort of cancels the tougher conference idea out.

A little better but Big 9 is definitely solid.

As someone who's played in the South Suburban and some out of conference games against Big 9 teams, the SS is more than a little bit better. For example, last year, Bloomington Kennedy (12-5 in SS) beat Austin (18-0 in Big 9) as well as Lakeville South (7-11 in SS) defeating Rochester John Marshall (14-3 in Big 9). Not to mention the quality of teams in the bottom half of the SS is much higher than the quality of teams in the Big 9. I don't say this to take away from the quality of the Hurt brothers, they are definitely elite players, but comparing the Big 9 to the South Suburban just isn't fair.

As someone who's played in the South Suburban and some out of conference games against Big 9 teams, the SS is more than a little bit better. For example, last year, Bloomington Kennedy (12-5 in SS) beat Austin (18-0 in Big 9) as well as Lakeville South (7-11 in SS) defeating Rochester John Marshall (14-3 in Big 9). Not to mention the quality of teams in the bottom half of the SS is much higher than the quality of teams in the Big 9. I don't say this to take away from the quality of the Hurt brothers, they are definitely elite players, but comparing the Big 9 to the South Suburban just isn't fair.

Well said. I figure the Hurt brothers have to be good if the Gophers have snagged one. I was just contesting the idea that one could claim someone to be better than Tyus as an 8th grader based upon faulty equivalency of stats. No disrespect meant toward anyone.

Go Gophers!!

Breakdown

On the contrary, Tyus didn't have a nationally-ranked recruit on his HS team scoring a bulk of the points while he was an 8th grader, so it sort of cancels the tougher conference idea out.

Matthew Hurt as an 8th grader 383 points 41% from 3, 63% overall shooting, 5.8 rpg, 15.3 ppg
Michael Hurt as a junior 585 points 46% from 3, 52% overall shooting, 8.3 rpg, 20.5

Matthew missed 4 games to start the season due to injury...factor those and the gap narrows
Michael took 145 more shots, again with 4 more games part of the equation,

If Matthew keeps growing, getting stronger, getting more talented, gets more experienced, he is going to be the highest, most sought after recruited Minnesota player, probably ever. It's a nice player versus a game changer if he continues to progress.

It's mindless to compare a 6' point guard to a 6'8 wing. And the reason Tyus is great is not because of his scoring alone.

The Big Nine is several steps down from the Twin Cities. Look at the Rotary Tournament each year. Look at the section final. A good team goes running clock on the good Big Nine team. A middle of the road TC team beats em by 15- 20. That's the last two section finals. And that's the top!!! The bottom is dreadful.

Top Bottom