All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Sounds like some here think he has been overhyped like Isiah Dahlman who benefitted from having two very good Mn high school players on his team.

Don’t much care.....

I agree. If a Minnesota kid thinks he is too big time to play for the U then I don’t really care to follow his courtship with other schools. It is like that girl you liked in high school that flirted with you, but wouldn’t go out with you. You would be a fool to constantly follow who she was dating, etc.... Just move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. If a Minnesota kid thinks he is too big time to play for the U then I don’t really care to follow his courtship with other schools. It is like that girl you liked in high school that flirted with you, but wouldn’t go out with you. You would be a fool to constantly follow who she was dating, etc.... Just move on.

Unless of course your a college basketball fan, or a big high school fan and enjoy watching kids achieve their dreams. I cheer for the Gophers but love going to games all over the country, just like i enjoy fishing or golfing in Minnesota but like it elsewhere.

I've seen Hurt play about 10-12 times. When I watched him play tonight, it was the least impressed I've been. He didn't shoot well and at times it looked like he was going through the motions. No offense to the Big Nine, but I think if they played in a top conference in the cities, JM would be a much better team. I think when they play LN in the sections, it might be hard for them to adjust to that high level of intensity. I don't think it is a slam dunk that he starts right away in college. That being said, it's easy to see his high level of skill the way he drives, sees the floor and scores around the rim when he flashed a little intensity. JM was ahead by 15-20 points most of the night. Maybe it's hard to show that consistent intensity when the game is under control. It was a very blah game considering he scored 29 points to go along with 15 rebounds and 6 assists.

Two years ago I was at JM's section final against LN. When I watched that, game I thought it was obvious that even though LN was the superior team, Hurt was by far the best player on the floor. I was surprised because I really liked Reuvers at the time. I enjoy watching high school basketball. Even when the kids I'm watching aren't being offered scholarships to the U of M or they decide to go somewhere else. Watching a good high school game is a great way to spend $6.

Lol I love how every time an in state kid doesn't commit its because they think their crap doesn't stink...couldn't be because he likes a different school more or thinks its a better opportunity. I love the U and would want to play here but to play devils advocate...how many tourney appearances/wins do we have in the last 10 years?

Always amazed at the number of fans that get mad or frustrated by a local kid, any recruit, wanting to go to another school. Wherever they go i wish them nothing but the best. They have worked hard to give themselves great opportunities.

Provide an environment these kids want to be in, scholastically, athletically, and socially and you will get your share, can't blame the kid, hopefully they are doing what is best for them as they should.

Provide an environment these kids want to be in, scholastically, athletically, and socially and you will get your share, can't blame the kid, hopefully they are doing what is best for them as they should.

The vast majority of college bound players pick the school based on the coach and success. But being great in every category certainly helps.

Top 20 players, McDonald's All-Americans, pick schools thinking they will be 1 and dones. What are they looking for in a school? The Following:

1. A successful program which will be on TV multiple times and have such a ridiculous amount of success they will be mentioned on ESPN daily. (see Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Michigan State and until this year Kansas)

2. A storied program where they can get an opportunity to showcase their skills and draw media attention. (Indiana, UCLA, Arizona, Villanova, although Romeo ain't getting what he signed up for at Indy)

3. A guaranteed trip to the NCAAs where they can boost their draft stock on National Television and ESPN.

4. A non-system team. Studs don't want to play for Wisconsin, Virginia and Princeton. No room to show-off their skills in these plod through the grunge schools. Nobody wants to be Jordan held back by Dean Fing Smith.

5. An Adidas school where they or their parents can get paid. Most likely a school that fits one of the other school criteria.

So what is Hurt looking for? Most likely a school that fits all 5. Minnesota can't guarantee any of these lest we hire his Dad as an assistant!

I just don't get why players go to play at one of the factories. Would you rather be the fourth option at Duke or Kentucky even though your a 5*? Or would you rather go be "The Man" at a lesser quality school?

I want players who want to be "The Man"! Not somebody worried about how quickly they can cash that first paycheck.

Why can't just 1 of these Minnesota top recruits be like, "F those blue bloods! I'm a winner and I'm going to make Minnesota a winner cause I can!"

That's the recruit I want, too bad these millennials only care about what others can do for them instead of what they can do for themselves.

Are you kidding? He'll start next year for any team in the country.

Not to mention that some of us don't even live in Minnesota, so we have even less affinity for Minnesota high school basketball.

Are you kidding? He'll start next year for any team in the country.

Yes, I think he's a starter. He's that skilled as an offensive player. Now how many minutes per game he gets will depend on how much other blue blood talent is on the team. Do you go to a perennial top 5 program (Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and play 20 min per game with 8 other five-star players or somewhere you'll play 30+ min a game as their #1 option? If he truly believes he's only playing one year in college, then I'd want to showcase my skills as much as possible to move up that lottery draft board.

I've seen Hurt play 8 or so times. Every game I walk away thinking that he plays the game very easily. He doesn't look like he has to work very hard and still comes away with huge games of 35+ points every time. That is NOT a knock on the kid at all, he just makes the game look easy. He's very even tempered, a good passer, and just flows around the court. Now he doesn't often come up against opponents with his size and skill level, so it'll be very interesting to see what happens when he is challenged by players who are his match physically and skill-wise. But he's been very successful playing against top international competition along side the best players in the US.

I will take bets on whether he starts in college. I say yes. Let me know.

I talked to two top assistant coaches in the MIAC (one is former now I guess) and two high school coaches who are very familiar with Hurt. He is the real deal...a top 10 player in the country according to them (they have actually said top 3 to 5)...and I trust their judgement more than mine. He is also rated that highly in all the scouting services, so if someone is denying that he is that good, they are trash talking without any knowledge of the situation. I've been in the same gym as Hubert Davis and Roy Williams earlier in the year and last night I was 50 feet from Coach K and Jon Scheyer. All these coaches have seen Hurt play multiple times...and if wasn't that good, Coach K and Roy Williams wouldn't be flying up to Minnesota to watch him play, especially if he is a strong lean towards Kansas. I just thought he looked a little flat last night (he still scored 29 points with 15 rebounds and 6 assists), and that the competition he plays against hurts his team once they play against a team like Lakeville North who is very good and plays against stronger competition throughout the season. When he goes to college, no matter where he chooses to go, he will improve and learn a ton. i would guess at that time he would be able to start at any college in the country.

Last edited:

I talked to two top assistant coaches in the MIAC (one is former now I guess) and two high school coaches who are very familiar with Hurt. He is the real deal...a top 10 player in the country according to them (they have actually said top 3 to 5)...and I trust their judgement more than mine. He is also rated that highly in all the scouting services, so if someone is denying that he is that good, they are trash talking without any knowledge of the situation. I've been in the same gym as Hubert Davis and Roy Williams earlier in the year and last night I was 50 feet from Coach K and Jon Scheyer. All these coaches have seen Hurt play multiple times...and if wasn't that good, Coach K and Roy Williams wouldn't be flying up to Minnesota to watch him play, especially if he is a strong lean towards Kansas. I just thought he looked a little flat last night (he still scored 29 points with 15 rebounds and 6 assists), and that the competition he plays against hurts his team once they play against a team like Lakeville North who is very good and plays against stronger competition throughout the season. When he goes to college, no matter where he chooses to go, he will improve and learn a ton. i would guess at that time he would be able to start at any college in the country.

Now if Barrett, Williamson and Reddish come back for a second season at Duke, I would guess he wouldn't be starting for them.

Top 20 players, McDonald's All-Americans, pick schools thinking they will be 1 and dones. What are they looking for in a school? The Following:

1. A successful program which will be on TV multiple times and have such a ridiculous amount of success they will be mentioned on ESPN daily. (see Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Michigan State and until this year Kansas)

2. A storied program where they can get an opportunity to showcase their skills and draw media attention. (Indiana, UCLA, Arizona, Villanova, although Romeo ain't getting what he signed up for at Indy)

3. A guaranteed trip to the NCAAs where they can boost their draft stock on National Television and ESPN.

4. A non-system team. Studs don't want to play for Wisconsin, Virginia and Princeton. No room to show-off their skills in these plod through the grunge schools. Nobody wants to be Jordan held back by Dean Fing Smith.

5. An Adidas school where they or their parents can get paid. Most likely a school that fits one of the other school criteria.

So what is Hurt looking for? Most likely a school that fits all 5. Minnesota can't guarantee any of these lest we hire his Dad as an assistant!

I just don't get why players go to play at one of the factories. Would you rather be the fourth option at Duke or Kentucky even though your a 5*? Or would you rather go be "The Man" at a lesser quality school?

I want players who want to be "The Man"! Not somebody worried about how quickly they can cash that first paycheck.

Why can't just 1 of these Minnesota top recruits be like, "F those blue bloods! I'm a winner and I'm going to make Minnesota a winner cause I can!"

That's the recruit I want, too bad these millennials only care about what others can do for them instead of what they can do for themselves.

I think these big-time high school traveling teams (which many of these types of kids are on) are as much about determining who they will team up with to play college ball as they are about anything else. And the kids they are playing with are from other states.

Now if Barrett, Williamson and Reddish come back for a second season at Duke, I would guess he wouldn't be starting for them.

I think you know this, but odds are 100% that Williamson will declare (and 99+% that he will be the #1 overall pick), and the odds are 95+% that both Barrett and Reddish will both declare and be in the top 5-7 picks as well.

I think you know this, but odds are 100% that Williamson will declare (and 99+% that he will be the #1 overall pick), and the odds are 95+% that both Barrett and Reddish will both declare and be in the top 5-7 picks as well.

Is your Asperberger's acting up again? Typically a box or two of Oreos settles you down. Go feast. Have some soda with it. A few root beers to dunk them in is your usual.

Is your Asperberger's acting up again? Typically a box or two of Oreos settles you down. Go feast. Have some soda with it. A few root beers to dunk them in is your usual.

What the hell are you blathering on about? And what the f>ck is Asperberger's?

Daniel Oturo. Not a five-star, but blue-blood offers. And, he’s just starting to demonstrate how good he will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Oturo. Not a five-star, but blue-blood offers. And, he’s just starting to demonstrate how good he will be.

He had one blue blood offer. Got on him early and he wanted to stay home. Fantastic recruit. Getting better better every day. May not be on campus 4 years. Scary upside.

Lol I love how every time an in state kid doesn't commit its because they think their crap doesn't stink...couldn't be because he likes a different school more or thinks its a better opportunity. I love the U and would want to play here but to play devils advocate...how many tourney appearances/wins do we have in the last 10 years?

And how many tourney appearances/wins would we have if more (even a small number) of the home stars had chosen the Gophers? That’s the point. They spurn the home team because of the lack of success, but their spurning is the cause of the lack of success.

And how many tourney appearances/wins would we have if more (even a small number) of the home stars had chosen the Gophers? That’s the point. They spurn the home team because of the lack of success, but their spurning is the cause of the lack of success.

Coaches are the number one draw by a long shot. Then program exposure, playing time which they all think they will get, climate, co-eds, those are related, rep of school prestige-parents love that one. Some kids want to stay home, most do not.

Always amazed at the number of fans that get mad or frustrated by a local kid, any recruit, wanting to go to another school. Wherever they go i wish them nothing but the best. They have worked hard to give themselves great opportunities.

I didn’t say I was mad, just that I don’t care! There are more than enough sports, players, actives to follow. Why should the average U fan give a rip about the about the play of some kid that is playing on some other team just because they went to high school in Minnesota? Those players that leave to “greener pastures” don’t feel any allegiance to the fans in Minnesota, they could care less, so why do local people still feel like they are “one of us”?

Top Bottom