All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Not totally sure what you mean with “impact loyalty”, but I sure don’t get nostalgic warm fuzzies when I hear the names Tyus and Khalid El-Amin. In fact, they disappointed me big time when they chose to go elsewhere. I would expect that to be the case for any true fan of our Golden Gophers. That, in my view, is what this board is all about. Now, amongst casual fans (those that don’t really care if our Gophers win), you are probably right. In my view, those people (some of whom troll on this board) are not really Gopher fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said “impact locally.”

I’m lifelong Gopher fan. I saw Kevin McHale play at the barn for my first game and have been thrilled multiple times by the electricity in The Barn in the decades that followed. If you’re intimating that I’m not a true fan, you can shove it. Being a die-hard Gopher fan who certainly wants the best players in the world to come here (especially if they’re from here) does not preclude me from having the ability to understand that not every human shares my opinion.

My point was that a local player who is good enough to leave school early for the NBA isn’t guaranteed “legend” status. In my opinion, legend status hasn’t gone to those players. It is saved for players (from anywhere) that make a meaningful impact on successful teams. It gets a little old for me when kids get thrown under the bus because they didn’t grow up with the same dreams we may have had.

I think local kids see the successes of Tyus and Khalid as positives and something to strive for. I hope the best players see that they can achieve those dreams in maroon and gold, but I won’t be narrow-minded enough to demonize them if they make their own choice.

I have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars and 50 years into supporting the Gophers. I support 4 different schools and relish the idea of helping universities and young people. Because i love college sports does not make me less of a fan who only cheers for Minnesota. Some of us have gone to several great Universities , lived and or have residences in several states (Minnesota is the site of a 4th generation cabin) I support kids choosing their dream, wherever that may be. Some may not care about being a big fish in a small pond. Some may dream of Duke and coach K. For some, playing for the Yankees is the pinnacle. Playing for a Kansas is a big deal. If people spent time at Phog Allen the may grasp a very significant difference between that experience. Tons of kids have picked Arizona for 35 years and few came from Arizona. Tons of talent leaves Georgia, Virginia and on and on to go elsewhere. Why are people so provincial to one state ! Just one part of the United States, largely seen through some bias i call strange, others call loyalty. I strongly support kids seeing other places and having new experiences. They have earned the right to explore all the best opportunities. Encouraging young people to reach for the very best of what THEY want is a key part of growth.

Good post. I can understand the dreams of kids and the desire to go to places new. But there is a part of it where you have kids that see the bright lights and get the feeling they are too good to play for the local team. That coupled with a fan base that constantly belittles the potential of the local teams that has created an atmosphere of “if you are good, you don’t play for the U”. It gets frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good post. I can understand the dreams of kids and the desire to go to places new. But there is a part of it where you have kids that see the bright lights and get the feeling they are too good to play for the local team. That coupled with a fan base that constantly belittles the potential of the local teams that has created an atmosphere of “if you are good, you don’t play for the U”. It gets frustrating.

Agree with everything you said. There are lots of kids getting bad advice and often it is from parents. Too many parents love the recruiting game and fail to encourage their kids to make their own college decision. Hell, i have seen parents think they are getting a job where their kids go ! Over the years i have enjoyed so many of the out of state kids like Thompson, Williams, Flip, Burton, Newburn, Lenard and on and on. Jim Brewer was a beast beyond. I believe , as a minority that the more kids from out of state the better, the more diversity the better. It is a myth that the state alone always provides enough talent. The worst of behaviors surfaces when people post negative things about a kid like Reid Travis for choosing Stanford ! My goodness, do people have even a clue what that means to work ones way into that place !

Agree with everything you said. There are lots of kids getting bad advice and often it is from parents. Too many parents love the recruiting game and fail to encourage their kids to make their own college decision. Hell, i have seen parents think they are getting a job where their kids go ! Over the years i have enjoyed so many of the out of state kids like Thompson, Williams, Flip, Burton, Newburn, Lenard and on and on. Jim Brewer was a beast beyond. I believe , as a minority that the more kids from out of state the better, the more diversity the better. It is a myth that the state alone always provides enough talent. The worst of behaviors surfaces when people post negative things about a kid like Reid Travis for choosing Stanford ! My goodness, do people have even a clue what that means to work ones way into that place !

I have no problem with kids leaving if they feel there is a better opportunity for them elsewhere. That is their right, and I wish them nothing but the best as long as they don't go to Wisconsin.

It's funny you bring up the parent aspect. One of my pet peeves -- can't stand it when parents of a major recruit are asked about where their kid is going to go to school and they respond with something starting with "We". Some variation of "We are going to have a tough decision to make", or "We are going to pick the best situation for us". The kid is the one who will be going to school and playing sports for that school, right? Is dad suiting up for games and attending calculus classes? I get it that the whole family is going to be involved in the decision in some way, but ultimately the final decision should be up to the kid. And when they answer with some form of "we" I always get the impression that mom and dad are taking over which I don't think is a good thing.

I have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars and 50 years into supporting the Gophers. I support 4 different schools and relish the idea of helping universities and young people. Because i love college sports does not make me less of a fan who only cheers for Minnesota. Some of us have gone to several great Universities , lived and or have residences in several states (Minnesota is the site of a 4th generation cabin) I support kids choosing their dream, wherever that may be. Some may not care about being a big fish in a small pond. Some may dream of Duke and coach K. For some, playing for the Yankees is the pinnacle. Playing for a Kansas is a big deal. If people spent time at Phog Allen the may grasp a very significant difference between that experience. Tons of kids have picked Arizona for 35 years and few came from Arizona. Tons of talent leaves Georgia, Virginia and on and on to go elsewhere. Why are people so provincial to one state ! Just one part of the United States, largely seen through some bias i call strange, others call loyalty. I strongly support kids seeing other places and having new experiences. They have earned the right to explore all the best opportunities. Encouraging young people to reach for the very best of what THEY want is a key part of growth.

I agree with most of what you said. Kids can do what they want and they have earned it. However what you call “provincial”, I call pride and loyalty. I have traveled to 48 states and 28 countries and lived in two states. I never attended the U of M, but because of my upbringing in MN and love for the Gophers as a kid (and continuing into adulthood), my sports passion is for the Gophers. That is clearly not the case for many others who don’t have the same pride for our state (I would put you in that category. That’s OK, too. Many of my friends here are transplants, and while they might cheer for the Gophers, they don’t care about them as do I. That’s OK, too.

Thus, I will cheer against and dislike (in a sports sense) local kids that betray our home school. I think it is funny when people get all in a huff over people like me who take this position. This is a sports fan board, for heaven sake. This is not serious business, but fun. This is a place to forget about work, responsibilities, war, crime, etc., and cheer for our team. A place to act like an overgrown kid. I’m glad there are a few others on this board that can lighten up a bit and understand this position. Go Gophers! Down with Duke!

"Thus, I will cheer against and dislike (in a sports sense) local kids that betray our home school. I think it is funny when people get all in a huff over people like me who take this position. This is a sports fan board, for heaven sake. This is not serious business, but fun. This is a place to forget about work, responsibilities, war, crime, etc., and cheer for our team. A place to act like an overgrown kid. I’m glad there are a few others on this board that can lighten up a bit and understand this position. Go Gophers! Down with Duke!"I

I agree with your comments wholeheartedly, with the caveat about disliking the local kids. In my view they are sort of quoting a movie I cannot remember, "they are dead to me", I just don't pay attention to them if they leave. I cheer for the team that we have and the players that are here. Especially like the Down with Duke. Would throw in Kentucky also.

I agree with most of what you said. Kids can do what they want and they have earned it. However what you call “provincial”, I call pride and loyalty. I have traveled to 48 states and 28 countries and lived in two states. I never attended the U of M, but because of my upbringing in MN and love for the Gophers as a kid (and continuing into adulthood), my sports passion is for the Gophers. That is clearly not the case for many others who don’t have the same pride for our state (I would put you in that category. That’s OK, too. Many of my friends here are transplants, and while they might cheer for the Gophers, they don’t care about them as do I. That’s OK, too.

Thus, I will cheer against and dislike (in a sports sense) local kids that betray our home school. I think it is funny when people get all in a huff over people like me who take this position. This is a sports fan board, for heaven sake. This is not serious business, but fun. This is a place to forget about work, responsibilities, war, crime, etc., and cheer for our team. A place to act like an overgrown kid. I’m glad there are a few others on this board that can lighten up a bit and understand this position. Go Gophers! Down with Duke!

Thanks for this. Relieves some of my guilt for still not being able to cheer for Tyus Jones, Vaughn, Pryzbilla.

This is a very good conversation.

Thanks for this. Relieves some of my guilt for still not being able to cheer for Tyus Jones, Vaughn, Pryzbilla.

Yup 100% and 100% agree with Bordergopher. If you are from Minnesota and are a D1 player, I'm sure you'll be recruited for the most part. But especially if you are going to a Blue Blood, you aren't just picking another you school, you are rejecting Minnesota. And I feel I have every right, as a sports fan from this state, to cheer for your failure. Are they good kids? I'm sure. But Tre Jones could have a horrible career at Duke (probably wont) and not only would I not care, I would be happy. My Minnesota Nice doesn't extend to those who are too good for us.

I completely agree that everyone has the right to express their fandom in whatever way works for them, I just don't get the sense that everyone grasps that others may disagree. I'm not a fan of those who leave and believe they could have found great success and furthered their careers had they stayed home, but I also get that others have a different perspective.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the level of anger by some posters (it's hard to judge tone on a message board), but I struggle to understand the level of hatred/anger I seem to see. I try not to let the actions of others impact my life to that level. If it's just good-natured venting: my bad.

I completely agree that everyone has the right to express their fandom in whatever way works for them, I just don't get the sense that everyone grasps that others may disagree. I'm not a fan of those who leave and believe they could have found great success and furthered their careers had they stayed home, but I also get that others have a different perspective.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the level of anger by some posters (it's hard to judge tone on a message board), but I struggle to understand the level of hatred/anger I seem to see. I try not to let the actions of others impact my life to that level. If it's just good-natured venting: my bad.

Each person gets to decide for themselves whatever it is they feel and think. I hope Jones does great and has a wonderful life. Young kids are not disloyal. They have grown up with a much wider lens of exposure. TV ans social media create a broad view of all opportunities, national coaching legends. Fantasy sports have them following their own team as opposed to the state team. The U has tremendous selling points and so do other schools. Really not hard to see why kids want to play for a coach K and go to Duke. Kids pick coaches all the time and there is a complete buzz and energy that everyone feels in the case of a appearance by anyone of those top 10 type coaches. College sports has been like this forever. There are other succesful ways to build a winner but one thing is clear, it is done with a tremendous coach.

I’m one of the posters that expresses my “anger” at home-state stars leaving. I can assure you that, in my case, it is all in fun. It is similar to when I scream at a ref during a game for a perceived bad call. If I saw that same ref, whom I might blame for our team losing the game, after the game, I would shake his hand and ask him questions about reffing. This is entertainment and nothing more. Too many people act like it is such a hurtful thing to be “mad” at these kids for leaving. This is a fan board, for heaven’s sake. Everyone needs to lighten up a bit!

No, YOU lighten up!!! [emoji6]

No, YOU lighten up!!! [emoji6]

Maybe you need some reading lessons. That was the point of my post. To lighten up. I guess you don’t get it.

It was a joke. Jeez. Lighten up! (For record: still joking.)

It was a joke. Jeez. Lighten up! (For record: still joking.)

Got it. Sorry! Guess I did need to lighten up about lightening up. Wait, what did I just say?

Hmmm, sound like anyone we know? Replace "Romeo Langford" with "Matthew Hurt" and this story plays out the exact same way.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hmmm, sound like anyone we know? Replace "Romeo Langford" with "Matthew Hurt" and this story plays out the exact same way.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't follow the summer circuit. Who pays the bills for Hurt's team?

Lol man everybody's gotta suffer because Rick went down. If anybody would know it was him. It is funny how Langford's perceived favorite jumped from UofL to Kansas to IU in a year's time. Rick actually spoke about this quite a bit in press conferences when asked about recruiting (this is from 2014) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ptbgki-klmw

Unfortunately there's a number of parents out there trying to further their coaching career through their kids. It's a sad reality of sports in general.

Very interesting comments from Rick. Seems very obvious that Hurt will not be going a Nike school like the U. His dad jeopardizes losing his funding from Adidas.

I don't follow the summer circuit. Who pays the bills for Hurt's team?

Adidas.

Per the article, what happens is the shoe company pays the AAU team whatever amount of "sponsorship money" it wants, legally, and if the amount is large enough, there will be plenty left over (after paying team travel expenses, tourney fees, etc.) for the team director to simply pocket (again, legally) as profit. So if you're the father of a stud prospect like Bagley or Langford, you create an AAU team, put your kid on it, and pocket the shoe sponsorship money. Although you're not forced to make your kid go to a college sponsored by that company, your existing relationship with the company provides a big incentive to do so because presumably it greases the wheels for an endorsement deal the minute he leaves college, and in some cases (such as those the FBI is investigating) that money changes hands well before then.

Very interesting comments from Rick. Seems very obvious that Hurt will not be going a Nike school like the U. His dad jeopardizes losing his funding from Adidas.

I’m sure Nike could scrape up the cash to sponsor one of the best AAU teams in the country

It'll be interesting to see if D1 Minnesota either 1) ceases to exist, like Langford's dad's club, or 2) moves on without Richard Hurt as Director of Ops once Matthew is done after this year.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom