All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

That interview tells me two things:

1) He's obviously not going to Minnesota. The, "I want every in Minnesota to hear this, nobody wants them to play together more than our family BUT..." and the "play together for one more year," comment out of his dad couldn't be any more clear.

2). His dad is very concerned about the Addidas connection to the AAU program and Kansas. Clearly, there has been a lot of thought and conversations about this. Why would you even entertain such things with an unprompted semi-rant if there wasn't something there? Doesn't seem like the brightest bulb.

My conclusion from those two things: He's going to Kansas.

It's further reinforced for me by planting the seed of being a late commit. I'm guessing they think, if leaning Kansas it's beneficial for two related reasons: 1). You let it blow over as much as possible, and hopefully take the magnifying glass off of your recruitment (Addidas connections, etc). 2). You give the "justice" process (ha!) time to operate and see how hard the hammer falls on some of the folks at Kansas. That way, you can hopefully string plans B and C along on the unlikely event of some heavy sanctions being applied prior to the clock striking midnight.

I could be off, but there is absolutely no reason, that I can comprehend, for waiting that long if you're picking the U.

I am so sick and tired of all of these high-end kids bailing the state to go play for Duke, etc. It further behind to tick me off knowing it's all because they're better at cheating. In an alternate universe with a level playing field, we would have a much better chance of getting these kids to stick around. I'm talking about OK guys like Coffey and Oturu, here (which people love to bring up as huge in-state could). Getting even one of the Jones brothers, Vaughn, Trent,and Hurt could've transformed the program over night. And if we can't get those kids, there's just no shot for this program to really become a power, beyond a once in a blue moon tourny run. It's very defeating as a fan.

1) He's obviously not going to Minnesota. The, "I want every in Minnesota to hear this, nobody wants them to play together more than our family BUT..." and the "play together for one more year," comment out of his dad couldn't be any more clear.

2). His dad is very concerned about the Addidas connection to the AAU program and Kansas. Clearly, there has been a lot of thought and conversations about this. Why would you even entertain such things with an unprompted semi-rant if there wasn't something there? Doesn't seem like the brightest bulb.

It's further reinforced for me by planting the seed of being a late commit. I'm guessing they think, if leaning Kansas it's beneficial for two related reasons: 1). You let it blow over as much as possible, and hopefully take the magnifying glass off of your recruitment (Addidas connections, etc). 2). You give the "justice" process (ha!) time to operate and see how hard the hammer falls on some of the folks at Kansas. That way, you can hopefully string plans B and C along on the unlikely event of some heavy sanctions being applied prior to the clock striking midnight.

I could be off, but there is absolutely no reason, that I can comprehend, for waiting that long if you're picking the U.

I am so sick and tired of all of these high-end kids bailing the state to go play for Duke, etc. It further behind to tick me off knowing it's all because they're better at cheating. In an alternate universe with a level playing field, we would have a much better chance of getting these kids to stick around. I'm talking about OK guys like Coffey and Oturu, here (which people love to bring up as huge in-state could). Getting even one of the Jones brothers, Vaughn, Trent,and Hurt could've transformed the program over night. And if we can't get those kids, there's just no shot for this program to really become a power, beyond a once in a blue moon tourny run. It's very defeating as a fan.

Hard to argue with anything you said here. It is not a level playing field and its hard to break through but when it happens it can be a special feeling for the true fan. Generally like our guys and still a big Pitino fan. Hope it clicks this year and still hoping Hurt comes on board.

The main thing I gathered from it is that his dad clearly reads Gopherhole.

The main thing I gathered from it is that his dad clearly reads Gopherhole.

Gopher hole or the paid sites.

What Hercules said is spot on. Richard now sees people are connecting the Adidas- Kansas connection. Hes gonna string it out as long as possible to keep the heat off of him.

This confirms that its Kansas and the other options are literally out.

Moving on.

Never bothers me when kids go elsewhere. Hardly any states keep their best kids home. They work hard to have the best options available. Nearly every kid no matter where they are from is going to pick Coach K or Self over Pitino. There are other ways to win.

Never bothers me when kids go elsewhere. Hardly any states keep their best kids home. They work hard to have the best options available. Nearly every kid no matter where they are from is going to pick Coach K or Self over Pitino. There are other ways to win.

Probably one of the best recruiting perspectives I've read on this site.

I wouldn't totally count the kid out. He's excited about the Duke, Kansas, etc. interest. Sounds like he is leaning outside the state. However, one of those schools still has to be home to the kid.

When will Hurt be on KARE 11 for the big announcement?

Probably one of the best recruiting perspectives I've read on this site.

I wouldn't totally count the kid out. He's excited about the Duke, Kansas, etc. interest. Sounds like he is leaning outside the state. However, one of those schools still has to be home to the kid.

I would not count him out either but it will not bother me at all if he finds what he is looking for elsewhere. My grandsons were tremendous tennis players and recruited heavily by my alma, UCLA but all on their own one picked Stanford because it was a better school and a better program. The other one picked Princeton. They earned those opportunities.

I agree. It requires Pitino to go out of state do get those type of players that are not staying home. And then local fans get upset when Pitino doesn’t take the next level of players that he would not have had room for if he had gotten the top players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think a late recruitment helps our chances.

Call me naive but I don’t think Hurt has promised Kansas he’s committing or anything. So the longer it takes, the more likely the blue bloods are going to fill up.

It also gives the Gophers an opportunity to redeem themselves after a sh*tty run last year. It gives Michael more of an opportunity to pitch his brother on the new facilities and Coach Pitino will be around him a ton while recruiting other D1MN guys. If we get a commit or 2 from D1MN, those guys can sell him too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Hurt made similar comments on the One and Done Show (the podcast he was referring to). The one additional nugget that he shared on the podcast was that Matthew stayed over at the U (I think it was snow related, but can't remember specifically) and got to now and like Isaiah Washington and a couple other Gophers. He already knew Michael's roommates pretty well, but it did sound like a genuine positive that he likes the guys on the Gophers squad.

Mr. Hurt made similar comments on the One and Done Show (the podcast he was referring to). The one additional nugget that he shared on the podcast was that Matthew stayed over at the U (I think it was snow related, but can't remember specifically) and got to now and like Isaiah Washington and a couple other Gophers. He already knew Michael's roommates pretty well, but it did sound like a genuine positive that he likes the guys on the Gophers squad.

We really need a shot in the arm and Matthew is in the position to provide one for us. It feels like we have the pieces in place now to be a decent team the next few years (with an assumed similar level of recruiting going forward). What we are missing is some star-level players to push us over the edge to become a very good team. I’m hoping Mr. Hurt will see that and surprise us all with a Gophers commitment.

I thought I remembered this being fairly important in Amir Coffey's recruitment, that he really connected with the other guys on the team.

I thought I remembered this being fairly important in Amir Coffey's recruitment, that he really connected with the other guys on the team.

While I am not confident in Matthew coming to the U, I also remember Richard Coffey making all kinds of public comments about Amir needing to be a point guard and looking at options, etc. Certainly sounded like he was pushing Amir elsewhere, and he ended up here. One never knows but can hope.

I am not in the camp that thinks a late decision helps us. It's getting more and more common in the one and done era that the guys who can have the pick of where they want to go wait until spring to see who is going pro and will make their decision based on that. They are typically waiting on blue blood players making decisions and simply back fill their rosters late in the season. The late decision creates a risk that Pitino holds a scholarship for him, loses out and then scrambles for spring recruits. Not a great scenario. If he was seriously considering the U, I would think he would commit early.

I think a late recruitment helps our chances.

Call me naive but I don’t think Hurt has promised Kansas he’s committing or anything. So the longer it takes, the more likely the blue bloods are going to fill up.

It also gives the Gophers an opportunity to redeem themselves after a sh*tty run last year. It gives Michael more of an opportunity to pitch his brother on the new facilities and Coach Pitino will be around him a ton while recruiting other D1MN guys. If we get a commit or 2 from D1MN, those guys can sell him too.

Every team in the nation will find a spot for Matthew whenever he is ready to decide, no matter what their scholarship situation is at the time of the decision. Not to mention, many top players now wait to see which blue blood loses the most players to the Draft, so waiting will have no benefit to us IMO.

Go Gophers!!

2). His dad is very concerned about the Adidas connection to the AAU program and Kansas. Clearly, there has been a lot of thought and conversations about this. Why would you even entertain such things with an unprompted semi-rant if there wasn't something there? Doesn't seem like the brightest bulb.

Yep, dad's very concerned. Bringing this up on his own is a big tell, as is that rehearsed line about "why would you pick a school based on what shoes you're wearing". It's pretty simple: Adidas paying dad + kid going to an Adidas sponsored school = Adidas paying family for kid to go to that school.

per The News Gazette:

The Big Ten's best 2019 prospects not yet committed

1. Matthew Hurt, 6-9, 199

Rochester, Minn.

Richard Pitino has been able to keep some of the state's best players, like Amir Coffey and Daniel Oturu. The Gophers are still in the mix for Hurt, the No. 4 prospect in the 2019 class, but the blue bloods (Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and UNC) are looming large.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...ns-best-2019-prospects-not-yet-committed.html

Go Gophers!!

I still don't get why 5* players so very infrequently go to the home school. You could say they want to go to a blue blood so they can chase a championship, but how often does that work out? Duke and Kentucky have both done it once each! This despite several no.1 recruiting classes.

Why not go to your home school and....:

1. Become a local legend by helping out the home state.

2. Get a boatload of playing time helping a team get to the next level instead of putting pressure on yourself with expectations.

3. Your only going to be there one year! So why not do it at home, because it is most likely your last chance to choose where you play. Bonus to play with a sibling.

4. Why share the ball with multiple other McDonald's All-Americans! At a non-blueblood they'd probably engrave the ball with your name for home games.

These are what I'd consider instead of who is the coach I'm going to have for one stinking season. Of course, had I had my dreams come true and been blessed to be 6'6" with mad skills, I wouldn't have even considered going anywhere but the U! So stained is my loyalty to Minnesota.

I still don't get why 5* players so very infrequently go to the home school. You could say they want to go to a blue blood so they can chase a championship, but how often does that work out? Duke and Kentucky have both done it once each! This despite several no.1 recruiting classes.

Why not go to your home school and....:

1. Become a local legend by helping out the home state.

2. Get a boatload of playing time helping a team get to the next level instead of putting pressure on yourself with expectations.

3. Your only going to be there one year! So why not do it at home, because it is most likely your last chance to choose where you play. Bonus to play with a sibling.

4. Why share the ball with multiple other McDonald's All-Americans! At a non-blueblood they'd probably engrave the ball with your name for home games.

These are what I'd consider instead of who is the coach I'm going to have for one stinking season. Of course, had I had my dreams come true and been blessed to be 6'6" with mad skills, I wouldn't have even considered going anywhere but the U! So stained is my loyalty to Minnesota.

It comes down to loyalty. In my 32 years of gainful employment, I have worked for only three companies, and the most recent for 21 years. Most “young” people I know change jobs often and don’t really have much of a sense of loyalty.

In a similar way, though obviously not perfectly correlated, people can feel a sense of loyalty/pride toward their home state. Granted, the U of M is just one part of our home state, but when it comes to D1 basketball, it is the only show in town and represents the State clearly with the name. If these kids truly had a strong sense of loyalty/pride toward MN, more of them would be choosing the U. Instead, their decision is all about what is best for them personally.

That is neither right or wrong, but it is the truth. I have made decisions over the years to remain with my current employer even though I had offers to go elsewhere that would have benefitted me more personally. Due to my loyalty (not necessarily any obligation), I chose to stay because I wanted to see the people I knew at the current company to have success.

I relate that analogy to Tre Jones. Three of his close buddies were all going to the U, but he chose Duke. Not only did he not have any loyalty to his home state fans, but he did not have loyalty to his friends. Again, neither right or wrong, but the truth. We definitely have more of a “me first” culture now. As such, I don’t expect to see a lot of home state stars begin to stay home until the team wins a ton and becomes some sort of media darling. That may never happen. Sort of a chicken vs egg issue. Just a reality of life now.

It comes down to loyalty. In my 32 years of gainful employment, I have worked for only three companies, and the most recent for 21 years. Most “young” people I know change jobs often and don’t really have much of a sense of loyalty.

In a similar way, though obviously not perfectly correlated, people can feel a sense of loyalty/pride toward their home state. Granted, the U of M is just one part of our home state, but when it comes to D1 basketball, it is the only show in town and represents the State clearly with the name. If these kids truly had a strong sense of loyalty/pride toward MN, more of them would be choosing the U. Instead, their decision is all about what is best for them personally.

That is neither right or wrong, but it is the truth. I have made decisions over the years to remain with my current employer even though I had offers to go elsewhere that would have benefitted me more personally. Due to my loyalty (not necessarily any obligation), I chose to stay because I wanted to see the people I knew at the current company to have success.

I relate that analogy to Tre Jones. Three of his close buddies were all going to the U, but he chose Duke. Not only did he not have any loyalty to his home state fans, but he did not have loyalty to his friends. Again, neither right or wrong, but the truth. We definitely have more of a “me first” culture now. As such, I don’t expect to see a lot of home state stars begin to stay home until the team wins a ton and becomes some sort of media darling. That may never happen. Sort of a chicken vs egg issue. Just a reality of life now.

I Don't t think society values loyalty, corp culture sure doesn't. I think kids pick up on this.

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with the thoughts stated previously, but do we consider Joel Pryzbilla, Rick Rickert and Kris Humphries local legends? I don't get the sense that they cause the type of emotional reaction that Willie Burton, Sam Jacobson or Bobby Jackson have. Winning is the magic elixir. If they come to the U and win, they will be local legends. I think Tyus and Khalid El-Amin have more impact locally and they went elsewhere (and won).

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with the thoughts stated previously, but do we consider Joel Pryzbilla, Rick Rickert and Kris Humphries local legends? I don't get the sense that they cause the type of emotional reaction that Willie Burton, Sam Jacobson or Bobby Jackson have. Winning is the magic elixir. If they come to the U and win, they will be local legends. I think Tyus and Khalid El-Amin have more impact locally and they went elsewhere (and won).

My guess is perceived attitude might have something to do with that.

Really? You think a guy who quit on his team mid year, a guy who went multiple games without an assist (even though he touched the ball nearly every possession) and a guy who committed to a different school and got punched by KG for being a tool should be local legends? They barely played four seasons between them, and I believe have zero NCAA tourney wins total.

If Przy doesn’t quit on the team and just goes pro after his sophomore year he’d be treated vastly differently.

Second, for every Khalid and Tyus, there is a Quincy Lewis, Flip Saunders, Trent Tucker or Lou Nanne that came from elsewhere and made a living/name here off their U success. Lindsay Whalen, McHale, Broten, Hrbek, Bud Grant, Molitor and Mauer are the names that a 5 Star game changer should really see as parlaying local roots into mega success. Both Khalid and Tyus might be in that category had they stayed home, but they didn’t and now they likely won’t ever be at the level of those names. Amazingly, more than half of that list probably makes or made more after their playing days were done! Not many star athletes can say that, but that is the opportunity in front of players the caliber of Mr. Hurt and Mr. Suggs that a lot of us see.

Not totally sure what you mean with “impact loyalty”, but I sure don’t get nostalgic warm fuzzies when I hear the names Tyus and Khalid El-Amin. In fact, they disappointed me big time when they chose to go elsewhere. I would expect that to be the case for any true fan of our Golden Gophers. That, in my view, is what this board is all about. Now, amongst casual fans (those that don’t really care if our Gophers win), you are probably right. In my view, those people (some of whom troll on this board) are not really Gopher fans.

Not totally sure what you mean with “impact loyalty”, but I sure don’t get nostalgic warm fuzzies when I hear the names Tyus and Khalid El-Amin. In fact, they disappointed me big time when they chose to go elsewhere. I would expect that to be the case for any true fan of our Golden Gophers. That, in my view, is what this board is all about. Now, amongst casual fans (those that don’t really care if our Gophers win), you are probably right. In my view, those people (some of whom troll on this board) are not really Gopher fans.

I have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars and 50 years into supporting the Gophers. I support 4 different schools and relish the idea of helping universities and young people. Because i love college sports does not make me less of a fan who only cheers for Minnesota. Some of us have gone to several great Universities , lived and or have residences in several states (Minnesota is the site of a 4th generation cabin) I support kids choosing their dream, wherever that may be. Some may not care about being a big fish in a small pond. Some may dream of Duke and coach K. For some, playing for the Yankees is the pinnacle. Playing for a Kansas is a big deal. If people spent time at Phog Allen the may grasp a very significant difference between that experience. Tons of kids have picked Arizona for 35 years and few came from Arizona. Tons of talent leaves Georgia, Virginia and on and on to go elsewhere. Why are people so provincial to one state ! Just one part of the United States, largely seen through some bias i call strange, others call loyalty. I strongly support kids seeing other places and having new experiences. They have earned the right to explore all the best opportunities. Encouraging young people to reach for the very best of what THEY want is a key part of growth.

Really? You think a guy who quit on his team mid year, a guy who went multiple games without an assist (even though he touched the ball nearly every possession) and a guy who committed to a different school and got punched by KG for being a tool should be local legends? They barely played four seasons between them, and I believe have zero NCAA tourney wins total.

If Przy doesn’t quit on the team and just goes pro after his sophomore year he’d be treated vastly differently.

Second, for every Khalid and Tyus, there is a Quincy Lewis, Flip Saunders, Trent Tucker or Lou Nanne that came from elsewhere and made a living/name here off their U success. Lindsay Whalen, McHale, Broten, Hrbek, Bud Grant, Molitor and Mauer are the names that a 5 Star game changer should really see as parlaying local roots into mega success. Both Khalid and Tyus might be in that category had they stayed home, but they didn’t and now they likely won’t ever be at the level of those names. Amazingly, more than half of that list probably makes or made more after their playing days were done! Not many star athletes can say that, but that is the opportunity in front of players the caliber of Mr. Hurt and Mr. Suggs that a lot of us see.
You forgot Phil Housley...[emoji41] [emoji6]

I have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars and 50 years into supporting the Gophers. I support 4 different schools and relish the idea of helping universities and young people. Because i love college sports does not make me less of a fan who only cheers for Minnesota. Some of us have gone to several great Universities , lived and or have residences in several states (Minnesota is the site of a 4th generation cabin) I support kids choosing their dream, wherever that may be. Some may not care about being a big fish in a small pond. Some may dream of Duke and coach K. For some, playing for the Yankees is the pinnacle. Playing for a Kansas is a big deal. If people spent time at Phog Allen the may grasp a very significant difference between that experience. Tons of kids have picked Arizona for 35 years and few came from Arizona. Tons of talent leaves Georgia, Virginia and on and on to go elsewhere. Why are people so provincial to one state ! Just one part of the United States, largely seen through some bias i call strange, others call loyalty. I strongly support kids seeing other places and having new experiences. They have earned the right to explore all the best opportunities. Encouraging young people to reach for the very best of what THEY want is a key part of growth.

It does make you less of a fan and you are not one of us.

It does make you less of a fan and you are not one of us.

Because you said so ! Can not be one of you, was not born here .Strange though as the real Les Bolstad did not see things that way at all. Of course he had been exposed to a great deal of travel so he knew that there were better golf courses, better players, more friends and more connections. Heck, with other choices of winners elsewhere (my undergrad was UCLA ) it makes me a huge fan to support a program that has been so inept for so long.

Top Bottom