All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Everything makes him special,, he can score at all three levels he rebounds he passes well he can ball handle, he runs the floor he's smart he's athletic.. he's going to be an NBA lottery pick no matter where he plays in college...

I think one could have said all the same things about his older brother.

What is it that is going to make the younger one be this great college player while his brother probably won't be?

What am I missing?

I agree, Michael doesn't fill the score sheet. He plays an all around game, but seems to be average at all of them. His performances in all the higher end events are just meh. I don't understand all the hype either.

While rankings aren't everything, Michael's composite ranking of #258 vs. Matthew's #4 ranking should be a pretty clear indicator of the gulf in talent levels. Not trying to besmirch Michael, I hope he works hard and finds his confidence, but c'mon guys

"I agree, Michael doesn't fill the score sheet. He plays an all around game, but seems to be average at all of them. His performances in all the higher end events are just meh. I don't understand all the hype either. "

While rankings aren't everything, Michael's composite ranking of #258 vs. Matthew's #4 ranking should be a pretty clear indicator of the gulf in talent levels. Not trying to besmirch Michael, I hope he works hard and finds his confidence, but c'mon guys

I meant Matthew with my comments above, NOT Michael. I don't understand why Matthew is getting the 5* rating, he looks like a 4* player.

"I agree, Michael doesn't fill the score sheet. He plays an all around game, but seems to be average at all of them. His performances in all the higher end events are just meh. I don't understand all the hype either. "

I meant Matthew with my comments above, NOT Michael. I don't understand why Matthew is getting the 5* rating, he looks like a 4* player.

You must be trolling ... I think the coaching staffs of MN, UK, KU, UNC, AZ, Duke, ND, OSU, IU, WI, IA St, MSU, Louisville, UCLA and any other program that believes they have a prayer of a chance at landing Matthew may take exception with your evaluation of his abilities............. Please let this be the last of it (this thread has devolved beyond redemption, I request the past few pages be struck from the record)

What is it that is going to make the younger one be this great college player while his brother probably won't be?

What am I missing?

He's just better? I'm not sure why that's hard to understand

Bigger faster, stronger, better shooter, even better hoops IQ. It's like asking what makes Jordan Murphy better than Bakary Konate

What am I missing?

Matthew is taller, longer, more athletic, better at scoring around the rim, etc. They're different players and with no disrespect to Michael (I still have faith in him), Matthew is already better.

Hahaha I can't believe people are asking what the difference between a player that played 5 min/game for the gophers and one that has been offered by U.K., KU, Duke, and UNC is.

Hurt to me reminds me somewhat of a blend between Brandon Ingram and Jonathan Isaac. Not quite as long as Isaac or as good of a perimeter defender and maybe not quite as skilled offensively as Ingram but he's a very long 3-4 tweener that has plenty of skills to play and score on the perimeter as well as the size to create mismatches in the post.

What am I missing?

I don't know if you can say any of those things about his older brother.

Mike will be better for us this year and will contribute nicely.. but Matt is a special talent no dis respect to Mike but I bet even he would tell you his brother has NBA caliber skills..hopefully Matt joins Mike and they can play together I always wanted to play sports in college with my brother but we were recruited by different schools (baseball)

You've already dug yourself a hole. Just call it quits

All Goldteam is saying was Michael, in high school, could do alot. He scored, passed, everything. He was pretty good. Don't get why you guys are so defensive when a person has a different opinion on Matthew, that he's a good player, but not a GREAT player.

All Goldteam is saying was Michael, in high school, could do alot. He scored, passed, everything. He was pretty good. Don't get why you guys are so defensive when a person has a different opinion on Matthew, that he's a good player, but not a GREAT player.

It's just strange that after seeing them both play, he couldn't tell the difference between the two. If they were close in ability/style/potential it would be one thing, but it really isn't close at all. Shouldn't have to look at the extremely vast difference in their rankings and offers to see that. No disrespect to Michael as I like him, his brother is just that good.

Speaking for myself, I do not believe there is any merit for such an opinion of Matthew. Moreover, I would trust the ranking agencies and all of the blue blood coaches who have offered him / are extremely interested in adding him to their respective rosters over such an opinion. It's not defensiveness, it's accounting for and addressing an absurd opinion / argument. And if this is all just trolling, touche, you win.

Speaking for myself, I do not believe there is any merit for such an opinion of Matthew. Moreover, I would trust the ranking agencies and all of the blue blood coaches who have offered him / are extremely interested in adding him to their respective rosters over such an opinion. It's not defensiveness, it's accounting for and addressing an absurd opinion / argument. And if this is all just trolling, touche, you win.

No, not trolling at all. Just because you're a lemming who just follow, does that make other's opinion absurd. Matthew's high ranking does that automatically make him a stud dominate player. He's a very good player, BUT he's not THE man type of player. Just look at how he performs in the summer with/against all the 5* competition. He's just "there" contributing, he's not out there dominating.

No, not trolling at all. Just because you're a lemming who just follow, does that make other's opinion absurd. Matthew's high ranking does that automatically make him a stud dominate player. He's a very good player, BUT he's not THE man type of player. Just look at how he performs in the summer with/against all the 5* competition. He's just "there" contributing, he's not out there dominating.

Again, shouldn't need to look at the rankings or even his offers. It is very plain for the eye to see that he is a big-time talent and not remotely close to the same prospect Michael was. He's also not "just there contributing". He absolutely does stand out, which is why he's listed here as one of the top underclassmen performers of the July period: https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/top-underclassmen-in-july-s-final-live-period

If you disagree, that's cool. You're entitled to your opinion just like people are entitled to think Henry Ellenson wasn't a big-time prospect and that he wasn't much different than Wally, which I'm assuming is what you thought.

Total Stud

I have close personal friend who is a MIAC assistant coach. He has seen Matthew Hurt play many times over the years and describes him as a "Total Stud." I think the offers speak for themselves, We NEED him in maroon and gold.

He's a very good player, BUT he's not THE man type of player. Just look at how he performs in the summer with/against all the 5* competition. He's just "there" contributing, he's not out there dominating.[/QUOTE]

Most all the coaches and scouts disagree.

Again, shouldn't need to look at the rankings or even his offers. It is very plain for the eye to see that he is a big-time talent and not remotely close to the same prospect Michael was. He's also not "just there contributing". He absolutely does stand out, which is why he's listed here as one of the top underclassmen performers of the July period

This.

For f**k's sake, the last 4 pages of this thread have careened from the ridiculous to the idiotic.

Matthew is going to be one if the best players to come out of MN. He is polished, athletic, and smart. He is going to make a business decision and go to a blue blood and be 1 and done.

It's ok guys. Let it go. Time to move on.

Matthew is going to be one if the best players to come out of MN. He is polished, athletic, and smart. He is going to make a business decision and go to a blue blood and be 1 and done.

Feel free. Most of the rest of us will let things play out and see what happens.

By 2019 we'll BE a blueblood. Coffey, Matt Hurt, Oturu, and Isaiah Washington will lead us to a national title.

Top Bottom