MN Daily: Five for '15: Border Battle

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

As the Gophers try to find their stride again this weekend against the Badgers, here's five tings happening around Gopher hockey heading into the border battle.

1. Lucia Defends Wilcox

Saturday night was a game to forget for Minnesota junior goaltender Adam Wilcox. Wilcox gave up five goals in less than two full periods against the Michigan Wolverines before being pulled for freshman goaltender Nick Lehr.

In total, Wilcox allowed nine goals to the Wolverines on the Gophers road trip, and was pulled for only the second time in his college career.

But because weekends like the one against Michigan don't happen often to Wilcox, Lucia isn't worried about his starting netminder.

"Adam’s been a model of consistency since he’s been here," Lucia said. "He’s been our starting goalie for two and a half plus years and in that time I can really probably, there’s been two games where he’s been a little bit off in that time. You can go through any NHL goalie that plays and you’re going to have off nights, and Adam had a little bit of an off night but at the same time I’m sure we did a whole lot in front of him to help him out."

Wilcox, a second team All-American last year, is currently ranked 40th in goals against average in college hockey, but Lucia said Wilcox isn't likely to stay down for long.

"I know one thing, that I want Adam in my foxhole any time I’m going to battle," Lucia said. "He’ll rebound and Adam is the least of my worries."

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-further-review/2015/01/14/five-15-border-battle

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom